Find it Strange That we're being linked strongly with players for next season, when no manager

I think a lot of Scottish football fans struggle to understand this idea of having a Director of Football. Certainly on FF, the idea still seems completely alien to some.

It’s common in more advanced countries football-wise for a DOF or transfer committee to buy a set of players with or without a manager.
Im under the impression the DOF and the scouting network were to identify players and manager had final say who come into the squad.

That were being linked strongly with players for next season, when next seasons manager hasn’t been named.

Surely we’ve got something in place, and not going down the road of a Director of Football bringing in players and expecting a manager to make a team out of them.

Or worryingly were sticking with Murty !

Surely any new manager worth his salt would rather bring in his own signings ?

Don't see the problem that's the direction we are clearly heading

I found it stranger that we hired a manager last year before sorting the director of football

Maybe if Mark Allen had been there we wouldn't have been lumbered with the likes of pena

I think a lot of Scottish football fans struggle to understand this idea of having a Director of Football. Certainly on FF, the idea still seems completely alien to some.

It’s common in more advanced countries football-wise for a DOF or transfer committee to buy a set of players with or without a manager.
Its completely alien to me.

Any new manager needs to have a say in who we sign I would have thought?

I’ve seen people saying managers like De Boer and Van Bronckhorst wouldn’t manage under a DoF, when De Boer won 4 in a row under one and Van Bronckhorst asked for Advocat to be brought in as one two years ago.

If the D of F identifies a position that needs strengthened then he will have a list of players who are gettable depending on their pay expectations and any transfer fees. This list will be shown both to the Board and the Manager. The Board ,as they cut the checks and the Manager who will have some knowledge of the player involved. we hope. The player should then be interviewed to see if he fancies coming to Ibrox. If not, we go onto the next one on the list and, if he is a rabid, allowed to fall down the marble staircase. This way, a team gets picked. As for all the guys in whom we are supposedly interested , paper talk to sell some rags as they get nothing from the Club until the club are ready to tell them anything.

I don’t disagree they need to get it right but I don’t see the impact of getting an expensive signing wrong for a DOF as being relative in England. It’s apples and oranges to an extent with Scotland. Operating at the elite level always gives a percentage or a degree of return.

The impact of Rangers spending 3M on player and giving him 26per week wages has a far more detrimental effect on our resources if we don’t see a return on the pitch or in resell value. A player like Pena it’s fair to say can be considered a write off. There’s no market for us to recoup our outlay there.

By comparative measure, a side like Liverpool can spend 30M on a player - say Benteke - and it doesn’t work out and they’ll be a Crystal Palace around the corner willing to shell out millions for him. It may be a loss but there’s a market for him and a buyer. The impact to the DOF is mark against his name but the club can carry it and remain successful.

We can’t.

The way I see it if we lose 75% on a signing it has exactly the same impact as, for example, Liverpool losing 75% on a signing. Sure the numbers are bigger - but that applies equally to both outlay and what you recoup relative to your overall budget.

Guess we will need to - sorta - disagree on this one @moodyman.:cool:

It happens at Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and Southampton, just to name a few.

Don’t know about you but I can think of a few decent managers amongst that lot.
I guess that we could match that by listing quite a lot of decent managers who seemed to cope successfully without the help of a director of football.

The football side is now down to Mark Allen. He must feel that Arfield is a no brainer on a bosman and I would agree. He might even have had a discussion with our next manager. Who knows.

What, you mean like Pep Guardiola who works with Txiki Begiristain at Man City?

It's the way it works on the continent.
The Dof searches for available players within the Clubs budget then the Manager picks who he would like
Then the Dof tries and signs them thats his role

Don't see the problem that's the direction we are clearly heading

I found it stranger that we hired a manager last year before sorting the director of football

Maybe if Mark Allen had been there we wouldn't have been lumbered with the likes of pena

We should have definately payed to get Mark Allen out of his contract early rather than get Pedro out of his first.

There's a good interview with Benitez about the DoF role after he took over at Inter.

He does say that he recommends players, every manager does, but the vast majority of the recruitment is dealt with by the DoF.

The way I see it if we lose 75% on a signing it has exactly the same impact as, for example, Liverpool losing 75% on a signing. Sure the numbers are bigger - but that applies equally to both outlay and what you recoup relative to your overall budget.

Guess we will need to - sorta - disagree on this one @moodyman.:cool:
Yes, it's a very good observation. Recruitment budget is scaleable depending on club, but the risks and impact are the same for all.

Should we just cancel the buy options on Cummings and Murphy incase the new manager doesn't fancy them?
The Murphy deal is done. it's already agreed. He would've been signed in January, but I think we would've breached FFP rules had a 1m deal gone through then.

A duds a dud no matter who manages him.
Everyone has a level of ability that he/she cannot exceed. There are certain players that even Pep or Jose could do nothing with.
But if you were a boss , you wouldn’t rather bring in your own preferred player?
What like Delph or young? Considered duds by previous managers but turned into first teamers by pep and Jose.

If I was a boss I would want to concentrate on making what I had better not chasing what I don't have. I would want to focus on tactics and the opposition not recruitment.

Would players agree to sign not knowing who the new manager was?

Im sure as %^*& it would be one of the first questions I would be asking in contract negotiations.

I reckon the new manager has already been confirmed and is working in the background preparing for next season. A season which is massive. We need to get this right.

Arfield, McArthur and Shagger are total Walter Smith signings, if we start signing hundreds of centre halves it's defo him. ;)

Back