Flanagan Undergoing Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant back five including keeper. I personally don't rate John but I'd imagine everyone will improve immensely under Gerrard.

It's still looking a hell of a lot better than Martin & co.

Night and day mate.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and here is mine. On footballing terms, I think he will be a great addition to the squad and a no brainer on a free transfer.
From a personal point of view, I wouldn't normally be keen on signing someone with his baggage but need to consider the few facts I do know about it. The court imposed no prison term even though they had CCTV footage of the incident and several witnesses. His girlfriend and family have forgiven him and they are still together. Liverpool FC declined the opportunity to sack him but stood by him.

Really?

You don't think signing a scumbag lowlife will generate negative publicity for the club?

maybe,maybe not but this is what you said

It's an appalling PR exercise, the good feeling and massive positivity surrounding the club is wiped out, signing a lowlife will do that I suppose.

I think its total drama what you posted... so you're saying:

bad pr exercise - possibly give you that one
good feelin and massive postivity at the club has now been wiped out - Drama Overload extreme

[

Has she forgiven him or is she a female stuck in a relationship with a crackpot that beats her up? The guy is a thug and not who we should be looking to sign. I hope he fails the medical
His burd has forgiven him...Weird! :eek:
Nah, despite the press coverage and being n a very high profile relationship she is trapped. Mendes knows.

We've had Gazza (my hero)

Barton and diouf.

What JF has done is poor. He's been punished and although il never view him as a club ambassador the crying over this is way ott.

My issue with the signing is he's got a questionable recent past on the pitch.
Gazza beat his wife’s face to a pulp whilst being employed by Rangers.The support turned a blind eye just because it,s Gazza.

While I agree that woman and man assault is different, assault in general is disgusting. Any form of law breaking doesn't align with Rangers traditions, I agree.

However, no-one said anything about Gerrards assault charge 10 years ago. No-one cares about Dave Kings past anymore. People make mistakes, especially if they are under the influence. People can change, as we have seen with Gerrard. If the woman he done it too has the ability to give the guy a second chance I don't see why anyone else can't. If every single person in history were to be judged based on a sole error they made some point in their life civilisation would crumble. He has shown remorse and regrets his actions. It would be entirely different if he was in denial and stands by them.

I'm expecting a barrage of people saying "beating a woman is more than just a mistake", on the spectrum of error it is at the peak but that doesn't imply it was deliberate.

Having said that, I don't want him anyway because his injury record and the fact he isn't very good in my opinion. Should he join though, I'll give him my support like the rest of the team.

To be honest I don’t really want characters like him at the club, I just don’t.

But what can we do if the boss wants him? Fück all, we’ve just got to suck it up, swallow our pride and support the player and the team.

The uncomfortable question is: if Steven Gerrard is here to set new standards for the club, how does this fit in with them, and in turn, what does that actually say about those standards?

It’s disappointing, but at this stage I suppose we need to give the manager the benefit of the doubt.

maybe,maybe not but this is what you said

It's an appalling PR exercise, the good feeling and massive positivity surrounding the club is wiped out, signing a lowlife will do that I suppose.

I think its total drama what you posted... so you're saying:

bad pr exercise - possibly give you that one
good feelin and massive postivity at the club has now been wiped out - Drama Overload extreme

In your blinkered opinion obviously.

Could be a good signing as full back is a major concern for us. Good attacking full backs in Tav and John but not so much defensively.

Sorry but i disagree my friend as i think the boy is a good tackler and will do a good job for us at y
Is he a more natural right back or left back?

He can play both fullback positions, and looks comfortable in both.
And as far as wife beating is concerned, i don't agree to what he done, but i think he deserves another chance and i think S.G. is the man that can lead him down the right both.
Lets be perfectly honest, Gazza wasn't a choir boy by any means, and we all worshipped him and gave him plenty of sccope while he was playing for us.

Disappointed in this tbh, would agree that the lad has been dealt with by the courts and deserves a second chance. I'd prefer if it wasn't at Ibrox.

However, I back the manager's judgement. Loads of other players he could have gone after as back up without Flanagan's baggage. So he must see something in him to make it worth taking the additional risk on him. Time will tell.
If he can tackle and head a ball he'll do me. Fed up with powderpuff defenders.

I'm sure we have all done things we shouldn't have and regret them like he does.

To be honest I don’t really want characters like him at the club, I just don’t.

But what can we do if the boss wants him? Fück all, we’ve just got to suck it up, swallow our pride and support the player and the team.

This is pretty much my feelings on the subject. It will blow a lot of the good press we've got around the club recently (and I know we shouldn't care what the media or tims say, but it's another hammer to beat us with).
He's also not really played a lot the last two seasons, however if he gets close to the level when he broke through at Liverpool he'll be the best FB at the club.
I'm not thrilled but if he signs I'll support him.

For those who are saying Flannagan should never play for us I would ask - What do you think Flannagan's punishment should be for his crime? Should he be an outcast from society and never employed again for the rest of his life?

If your answer to that is yes then I think the punishment is too severe.

If your answer is no but you think someone else should employ him then imho that just makes you a hypocrite.

The uncomfortable question is: if Steven Gerrard is here to set new standards for the club, how does this fit in with them, and in turn, what does that actually say about those standards?

It’s disappointing, but at this stage I suppose we need to give the manager the benefit of the doubt.

To be honest Gerrard’s lucky he’s a big name because any of the other managers we’d been linked with would get absolutely rinsed for this, with no leeway afforded.

To be honest Gerrard’s lucky he’s a big name because any of the other managers we’d been linked with would get absolutely rinsed for this, with no leeway afforded.

Barton was as bad, in fact his list of misdemeanours was far worse, yet there was very little opposition to him signing as the majority thought he'd skate our league.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is, if he puts a winning side on the park everything else is ignored, and the opposite if he doesn't.

It's the same Rangers support that never bothered their arse about Amo calling someone a black basturt.
Gazza beating his wife or Struth going with a former players missus.

He'll be judged on how he plays and you know it

I’m not speaking for the support mate, I’m speaking for myself as a supporter. I had a problem with Gazza but - and this is splitting hairs perhaps - he was never convicted as far as I recall. He revealed it in a book when he was already an employee.

Struth and Amo again are different cases, neither of which I know or recall much about. I feel safe in saying they’re hardly comparable.

As I say, I’m not going to wet my pants but I think it is a disappointing step to take.

Barton was as bad, in fact his list of misdemeanours was far worse, yet there was very little opposition to him signing as the majority thought he'd skate our league.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is, if he puts a winning side on the park everything else is ignored, and the opposite if he doesn't.

Hear Hear.

Flanagan was convicted and served his punishment. I very much doubt his past will be spoken about.

He’s not going to be introduced to his new teammates as a woman beater who they should aspire to emulate.

Would you call battering %^*& out your girlfriend in the middle of the street, and deliberately repeatedly booting her while she lay on the ground a mistake?
Of course it was a mistake,a huge mistake,but a mistake.:(
Looks like he's been forgiven,so if SG sees it okay to forgive him,then let's move on and give the boy a chance.:)

All the armchair moralists will forget this thread ever happened if he scuds a 30 yarder past the filth and smashes Broonaldo onto a stretcher.

He may be a scumbag but lets get real ffs.

Not really true though I know Supporters who still can't take to Kenny Miller after he played for the filth and he had a very good record against them.
Having good morals and being brought up well is never a bad thing.

To be fair quite a few folk voiced their displeasure with Barton’s signing, remember it well, but I think the fact Barton had come off the back of a great season changed things. But Flanagan’s done %^*& all as a player for so long that I reckon any other manager would be crucified for this signing.

I don't condone his past behaviour but if it remains in the past I say give him a chance.

Any repetition and he should be out on the street!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back