Flanagan Undergoing Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
See posts like this, they are in no way ever measurable about what is actually happening.

None of that would ever happen so it's an irrelevant point. Plus, you are talking about two ex Celtic players so it's not exactly the same as Flanagan.
Got to love these hypotheticals :D

If he becomes a rangers player which looks likely then I will be behind him 100%. He fucked up and hasn't done anything like that since people can make mistakes and learn from it.

On the footballing side he's a great signing and likes to tackle hard from when I seen him at Liverpool.

I don't think it is, at all, we have full backs, one a current international and the other one of our most effective players, hes a player who has totally lost his way and will have to prove himself all over again.

He's coming off a near 30k a week deal.
He won't be coming for pennies, nor can we afford to pay backups say 15-20k a week these days

Our own manager committed a violent offence. A true fans Hero Gazza was no angel; Super Swally got done for Drink driving and it was laughed off.

werent McCoist, Durrant and Derek Ferguson no angels in the 80's? remember going to a BB game and our manager was livied as it came on the radio Ally had punched someone's teeth out in a kebab shop fight

Not so to me, frankly I don't want him but the jury is definitely out on him as a player as is the Brighton lad. We are signing players that had potential but have lost their way for various reasons. There is no guarantee they will work out. Both are gambles imo.

I agree, but they are going to be big earners

Just out of interest, if Stevie G happened to be big mates with Malky Mackay and it was announced he was coming in as DoF, would it still be “if it’s good enough for Mr Gerrard..”?

Or we offered Scott Brown a lifeline late in his career after Celtic let him go. Stevie’s always liked Broony’s winning mentality?

Would it f*ck

Of course we’ll all celebrate if this guy scores but I’ll be celebrating Rangers scoring, not singing his name.

And what if Stevie G turned out to be the great great grandson of Adolf Hitler.

Just point in hypothesising things that will never happen.

So we don’t think he’d take Tav or John’s spots?

I don’t ever see us patching up the holes in the defence while those two are out full backs. Tav doesnt look like a winner to me and John’s lack of defensive awareness is down right scary at times.

Absolutely incredible levels of moral high-grounds here. Last night when the story broke it was spectacular and today has been some reading.

Setting a dangerous precedent for some, especially when he turns out to be decent.

If the boss wants him, knows the full story behind his circumstances and character then we should all be for it.

It's almost as if at times on here folk will make a comment and then develop a character around that post where they point blank refuse to ever shift their opinion regardless of how mental and wrong it is.

Like I joked last night, the majority of us would batter our wives/partners if it meant winning the league. Flanagan instantly improves us. All we should be doing is basing this on footballing reasons and he's a good player to have.

Maybe I just want to win the league more than some.

Not more than me you don't. No one does:D:D:D

Think we could have managed it without this guy.

I don’t ever see us patching up the holes in the defence while those two are out full backs. Tav doesnt look like a winner to me and John’s lack of defensive awareness is down right scary at times.

If we are signing him he will be on decent money and will be a starter.

He is coming from a high wage but his stock isn't exactly high at the moment so not unreasonable to think he's taking a pretty significant wage drop,
I agree , he's a damaged brand. I would imagine that had to be part of the negotiations. We only need to refer to Pena/ Barton to see how badly we can feck it up. If he is on those wages then we are complete mugs again.

To be fair quite a few folk voiced their displeasure with Barton’s signing, remember it well, but I think the fact Barton had come off the back of a great season changed things. But Flanagan’s done %^*& all as a player for so long that I reckon any other manager would be crucified for this signing.

I find the people who are happy signing Flanagan for ‘footballing reasons’ a bit puzzling. He’s played about 30 games in the last 4 years, and struggled to get a game for a dreadful Bolton team last season.

He adds good depth to our squad & is a far better option than Hodson who should have no future at us.

One of our biggest issues the last few seasons is having Wallace, Tav & John injured and having no1 good enough to step in at these positions.

We have seen Beerman, Hodson & Halliday step in & they are no where near good enough.

Flanagan wont come in to take Tav's place straight away because Tav is one of our best players. Flanagan is here to add much needed depth in these positions and he knows this is a big chance for him given his off the field incident.

Not saying he will be a superstar but if he play the way he did a few years back at Liverpool then he will be a good signing. If Gerrard wants and trusts him in a footballing sense then Bring him in!

The only way he starts next season is if we play 3 at the back and he could be one of the 3.

He won't be taking over Tavernier or DJ's starting role.
See this is my worry, that he does replace Tav.

Now I am not Tav's biggest fan put I believe he is a far better footballer than Flanagan.

Gerrard has been on TV analysing games where he has emphasised how important it is for full back's to stop crosses and defend well. He is also good friends with Flanagan and on record in his book as saying how much he admires the player. Furthermore he is coming from nearly £30k a week and the way football works, you don't tend to make too dramatic a drop in wage when you move on so he will be on a sizeable wage by our standards.

In short, I would be shocked if one way or another he isn't a first team regular by Xmas but I do hope I am wrong.

Absolutely incredible levels of moral high-grounds here. Last night when the story broke it was spectacular and today has been some reading.

Setting a dangerous precedent for some, especially when he turns out to be decent.

If the boss wants him, knows the full story behind his circumstances and character then we should all be for it.

It's almost as if at times on here folk will make a comment and then develop a character around that post where they point blank refuse to ever shift their opinion regardless of how mental and wrong it is.

Like I joked last night, the majority of us would batter our wives/partners if it meant winning the league. Flanagan instantly improves us. All we should be doing is basing this on footballing reasons and he's a good player to have.

Maybe I just want to win the league more than some.
The levels some are going to convince themselves Is appalling.

See posts like this, they are in no way ever measurable about what is actually happening.

None of that would ever happen so it's an irrelevant point. Plus, you are talking about two ex Celtic players so it's not exactly the same as Flanagan.

I’m not the one who started the whole idea of picking unrelated examples in this thread.

There’s two points here:
1. Steven Gerrard might have the worst f*cking judgment known to man. We don’t know. The point is not to have a go at the manager, it’s to suggest that deferring your opinions and standards to a manager who hasn’t even completed one week of management at Rangers is ridiculous.
2. What is the limit of Stevie knows best? If you think the invented but plausible example of Malky Mackay being a mate of Stevie G and that leading to a gig at Ibrox is that far-fetched then you’ve not been paying attention to how few fucks football professionals care about what you think

I agree with you. We need a better defender in there, he has the attributes to be that. Risky because of his baggage so it has to work and he better be an angel at the club.

I find the people who are happy signing Flanagan for ‘footballing reasons’ a bit puzzling. He’s played about 30 games in the last 4 years, and struggled to get a game for a dreadful Bolton team last season.

When this rumour surfaced yesterday I actually did sit and wonder why he would be a good signing for us purely from a footballing perspective.

People were obsessing over his off the field antics but even from a footballing perspective I’m not convinced at all, I mean he’s hardly played any football for a good number of years.

And I’m sorry but it’s going to be murder trying to shift the Rangers calendars with his coupon on them.

Has anybody considered that maybe the lad himself is abhorred and embarrassed by his own behavior?

He stepped outside of the law, and the law dealt with him as it saw fit, given all the facts and circumstances.

Players are human. We all make mistakes. If we continue to make them then we are a problem.

If we take our punishment, learn from it and move on, should we continue to be judged by a mistake?

Our own manager committed a violent offence. A true fans Hero Gazza was no angel; Super Swally got done for Drink driving and it was laughed off.

How many of us have made a mistake we regret??? I know i have.

If Flanagan puts in the performances not one person will give a flying f@#k about his past. Not one.
I will.

Man who holds his bird by the neck against a wall, then kicks her repeatedly when she is on the ground. A no for me. Want this utter scumbag nowhere near the club.

There’s nothing that can be said, he gave a woman a total kicking. It’s horrible PR and gives ammo to everyone who hates us in the press.

Not to mention he’s barely kicked a ball recently and was honking for Bolton. A signing to win the league? Lol.

It’s the wrong signing on so many levels.

I agree with you. We need a better defender in there, he has the attributes to be that. Risky because of his baggage so it has to work and he better be an angel at the club.

People might not agree with me here but after finding out what Tav gets up to in respect of dog fighting I don’t really have any respect for him these days anyway.

Putting the off the field stuff aside, Bolton fans are delighted he is gone. Alarm bells for me!! This is not the level of player required to challenge Celtic.

Tav will be off if he signs imo. No chance we are paying his high wages as a back up.

He's on 28k a week, you knock 50% of that off and he'd still be on a fortune. Far too much as a back up. I've dissappointed in this.

Because he once had good pedigree and isn't coming to warm a bench.

Its obvious

He's barely kicked a ball in 5 years and isn't taking a move to the SPL because he's falling over offers in England.

I'm not convinced he is coming to be a 1st team pick right away , certainly not at right back.

Last edited:
And what if Stevie G turned out to be the great great grandson of Adolf Hitler.

Just point in hypothesising things that will never happen.

The point is about where people draw the line in deferring to a manager just in the door, not the comparison being likely.

Here’s another better example. Most people knew Pena had gone off the rails in Mexico when we bought him.

But many said “if Pedro wants him that’s good enough for me”. I think I might have.

It was pish, wasn’t it?

Has anybody considered that maybe the lad himself is abhorred and embarrassed by his own behavior?

He stepped outside of the law, and the law dealt with him as it saw fit, given all the facts and circumstances.

Players are human. We all make mistakes. If we continue to make them then we are a problem.

If we take our punishment, learn from it and move on, should we continue to be judged by a mistake?

How many of us have made a mistake we regret??? I know i have.

If Flanagan puts in the performances not one person will give a flying f@#k about his past. Not one.
Would you be saying the same about Goodwillie if we signed him? Would you hell. Sometimes a player who’s become a toxic brand isn’t worth the hassle.

I’m not the one who started the whole idea of picking unrelated examples in this thread.

There’s two points here:
1. Steven Gerrard might have the worst f*cking judgment known to man. We don’t know. The point is not to have a go at the manager, it’s to suggest that deferring your opinions and standards to a manager who hasn’t even completed one week of management at Rangers is ridiculous.
2. What is the limit of Stevie knows best? If you think the invented but plausible example of Malky Mackay being a mate of Stevie G and that leading to a gig at Ibrox is that far-fetched then you’ve not been paying attention to how few fucks football professionals care about what you think

I don't really care if you started it or not, but you have been continuing it. Let's not make it a playground.

Has anything Gerrard said since he became our manager showed that he has a rubbish judge of character or that he doesn't know best? Because all I have seen his him improving our weak areas especially in defence and also bringing in a winner like McGregor, all things that we have been badly missing. All of which was not improved by the managers before him

So see for all this inexperience or as you say, him potentially having bad judgement, he's done nothing to show this so far. And I can't believe all this is coming from us potentially signing Flanagan.

There’s no comparison people saying “oh but Pena liked the sauce etc”.

No point trying to justify it. The man is a scumbag.

People might not agree with me here but after finding out what Tav gets up to in respect of dog fighting I don’t really have any respect for him these days anyway.

I played full back myself although at total diddy level:), I know the type of full backs I like. Players like Gary Stevens, Stuart Munro, Sasa Papac. All were rock solid defenders first and foremost.

Hutton was a new one for me, he was such an attacking force for us plus he was a tough defender.

I am sick of seeing players sneaking in behind Tavernier and causing problems due to his poor positioning. He is a good link up the park but sorry I don’t think he defends good enough.

If SG wants him for right back and he thinks he is the best he can get with our funds, I will back him.
Player has a lot to prove though.

Would you be saying the same about Goodwillie if we signed him? Would you hell. Sometimes a player who’s become a toxic brand isn’t worth the hassle.

Goodwillie wouldn’t strengthen us.

Flanagan as cover for both full back positions does.

The point is about where people draw the line in deferring to a manager just in the door, not the comparison being likely.

Here’s another better example. Most people knew Pena had gone off the rails in Mexico when we bought him.

But many said “if Pedro wants him that’s good enough for me”. I think I might have.

It was pish, wasn’t it?

Another pointless comparison mate.

A dud Portuguese manager signing a Mexican with alcohol issues isn’t really the same as Steven Gerrard wanting to sign an ex team mate who’s been up in court for assaulting his bird. They’re not the same, for one thing Peña’s issue is likely to affect his performance where Flanagan’s isn’t.

In addition to that just because one managers gamble failed doesn’t means another managers gamble won’t pay off. There are obviously lines that can be crossed, for you this might be crossing that line, for others it is clearly not. And signing a racist twat who also happens to be ex filth will clearly get a much harsher reception from fans.

Their manager said he was one of their best players?

He done a terrible, horrible thing that should never be forgotten. But he's served his time and if we have faith in the justice system then he deserves to resume his career. What's the other solution?

Saying that, I'm regularly labeled a lefty handwringer on here, so maybe my opinion is void on the matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back