Flanagan Undergoing Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to worry chaps, as I'm sure certain sections will be seeking out the reaction of Nil By Mouth" "sends out the wrong signals...." , etc....

I'm fully in favour of the rehabilitation of offenders.
As has already been mentioned, he pleaded guilty, was done by the courts, he's served his sentence, is/was full of remorse.
You either accept rule of law or we have mob justice.

The uncomfortable question is: if Steven Gerrard is here to set new standards for the club, how does this fit in with them, and in turn, what does that actually say about those standards?

It’s disappointing, but at this stage I suppose we need to give the manager the benefit of the doubt.

The standards will be professional ones set on the park and training field. All the other pish is just projection from the more mental fans that genuinely think we hold ourselves to higher standards and that being a Ranger comes with some sort of superiority complex.

You can spot them as they are the ones who call him Mr Gerrard (while likely keeping their head bowed) on a flipping internet forum.

Absolutely no-one is saying what he done is right, but to say if you do something wrong in life that you acknowledge is wrong and regret severely you STILL shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets is outrageous.

Not to worry chaps, as I'm sure certain sections will be seeking out the reaction of Nil By Mouth" "sends out the wrong signals...." , etc....

I'm in fully in favour of the rehabilitation of offenders.
As has already been mentioned, he pleaded guilty, was done by the courts, he's served his sentence, is/was full of remorse.
You either accept rule of law or we have mob justice.
Exactly, you don't have to like him or what he's done but the lad still deserves to make a living doing what he's good at and if Gerrard thinks he can do a job then we'll be the club for him.

She refused to give a police statement and didn't want to press charges.

Some absolute zoomers on here.

This doesn't make right what he did. I don't know the full story just that he 'beat up' his girlfriend. On all levels that is a really horrible tag line.

If he has rehabilitated himself, given up drinking, transformed himself into a good person then I have no problems with the signing.

I wouldn't turn my back on a mate who did that, I'd be forever appalled but that's something they would have to live with.

It's all a bit weird.

He did a reprehensible thing but in the UK we have a system of justice which is based on not only punishment but rehabilitation of offenders.

He received his sentence and was punished he should be allowed to move on in life just as a plumber or road sweeper would be entitled to.

Given that it’s a free transfer it would be nice to see the club or player make a small charitable donation to a women’s shelter as good P.R. as the usual yahoo suspects will go to town on this no doubt.

Not really true though I know Supporters who still can't take to Kenny Miller after he played for the filth and he had a very good record against them.
Having good morals and being brought up well is never a bad thing.
I would suggest that playing for the mentally challengeds and thumping the badge ranks a good bit lower on the scale of acceptability for most bears.

Absolutely incredible levels of moral high-grounds here. Last night when the story broke it was spectacular and today has been some reading.

Setting a dangerous precedent for some, especially when he turns out to be decent.

If the boss wants him, knows the full story behind his circumstances and character then we should all be for it.

It's almost as if at times on here folk will make a comment and then develop a character around that post where they point blank refuse to ever shift their opinion regardless of how mental and wrong it is.

Like I joked last night, the majority of us would batter our wives/partners if it meant winning the league. Flanagan instantly improves us. All we should be doing is basing this on footballing reasons and he's a good player to have.

Maybe I just want to win the league more than some.

We all done the "dioufy"at Hampden and Rugby Park and he spat on a wean

Winning will always triumph everything for our support.

Football fans are generally two faced - You can hate him but no doubt will cheer him when he wins a crucial tackle or scores a goal.

To be honest Gerrard’s lucky he’s a big name because any of the other managers we’d been linked with would get absolutely rinsed for this, with no leeway afforded.
Well I suppose that’s the benefit he has being who he is , only if it works out mind you .

He did a reprehensible thing but in the UK we have a system of justice which is based on not only punishment but rehabilitation of offenders.

He received his sentence and was punished he should be allowed to move on in life just as a plumber or road sweeper would be entitled to.

Given that it’s a free transfer it would be nice to see the club or player make a small charitable donation to a women’s shelter as good P.R. as the usual yahoo suspects will go to town on this no doubt.

Making a donation like that would just scream “we think we’re in the wrong but look we’re trying to make up for it”

Or maybe just a different view from yours, there is NO condoning what he did or any attempt on my part to call it a mistake, and spare me the "he deserves another chance but not at our club crap" he either deserves another chance or doesn't.
What you on about ? I was talking about the poet media and their double standards.

Just out of interest, if Stevie G happened to be big mates with Malky Mackay and it was announced he was coming in as DoF, would it still be “if it’s good enough for Mr Gerrard..”?

Or we offered Scott Brown a lifeline late in his career after Celtic let him go. Stevie’s always liked Broony’s winning mentality?

Would it f*ck

Of course we’ll all celebrate if this guy scores but I’ll be celebrating Rangers scoring, not singing his name.

Not really true though I know Supporters who still can't take to Kenny Miller after he played for the filth and he had a very good record against them.
Having good morals and being brought up well is never a bad thing.
Disallowing someone the chance to right their wrongs while in a state of regret and acceptance of punishment does not embody good morals.

Everybody is entitled to forgiveness in life, let's leave the selective forgiveness to the mhanks.As my old man used to say 'We all make mistakes'it's just how good you are at covering them up'

Absolutely incredible levels of moral high-grounds here. Last night when the story broke it was spectacular and today has been some reading.

Setting a dangerous precedent for some, especially when he turns out to be decent.

If the boss wants him, knows the full story behind his circumstances and character then we should all be for it.

It's almost as if at times on here folk will make a comment and then develop a character around that post where they point blank refuse to ever shift their opinion regardless of how mental and wrong it is.

Exactly.

A very worrying precedent could be set by them and all future signings would need to live by that.

Just out of interest, if Stevie G happened to be big mates with Malky Mackay and it was announced he was coming in as DoF, would it still be “if it’s good enough for Mr Gerrard..”?

Or we offered Scott Brown a lifeline late in his career after Celtic let him go. Stevie’s always liked Broony’s winning mentality?

Would it f*ck

Of course we’ll all celebrate if this guy scores but I’ll be celebrating Rangers scoring, not singing his name.

Yeah m8 they're totally comparable examples.

Is it too simple to simply trust our manager on this one?
You know, the same manager we're all universally loving, the same manager who has seen us all applauding the board for making such an exciting and innovative appointment?

If Steven Gerrard, who knows far more about the prospective signing than any single poster on FF, wants Jon Flanagan, then that's good enough for me.

We can all debate the merits of the signing based on playing ability and the off-field baggage, but I'll trust Gerrard on this one.

It sounds like a moment of madness when they were both full of the drink

His case was minimal as no injuries were sustained and his sentence reflected that.

They are by all accounts still together.

With all that said, would his bird prefer him making $$$’s per week playing football or banished from the game forever and driving a van?

Personally I would give him a deal but have a clause that if he ever got in trouble again that Rangers could fine him 3 months wages and terminate his contract immediately.

True true mate but as supporters our opinions are just that. Unfortunately for you on this occasion SG wants him at the club.

Everyone here is of the same opinion that what he did was scummy behaviour and the lowest of the low.

Some can’t accept it and that’s fine, some believe that if people who know him better can forgive and he deserves a second chance.

Has anybody considered that maybe the lad himself is abhorred and embarrassed by his own behavior?

He stepped outside of the law, and the law dealt with him as it saw fit, given all the facts and circumstances.

Players are human. We all make mistakes. If we continue to make them then we are a problem.

If we take our punishment, learn from it and move on, should we continue to be judged by a mistake?

Our own manager committed a violent offence. A true fans Hero Gazza was no angel; Super Swally got done for Drink driving and it was laughed off.

How many of us have made a mistake we regret??? I know i have.

If Flanagan puts in the performances not one person will give a flying f@#k about his past. Not one.

Would it f*ck

See posts like this, they are in no way ever measurable about what is actually happening.

None of that would ever happen so it's an irrelevant point. Plus, you are talking about two ex Celtic players so it's not exactly the same as Flanagan.

Like I joked last night, the majority of us would batter our wives/partners if it meant winning the league. Flanagan instantly improves us. All we should be doing is basing this on footballing reasons and he's a good player to have.

Maybe I just want to win the league more than some.

'Character' that's exactly it. Instead of seeing it for what it is, people realise they maybe have the wrong idea and instead of backing down they want to develop an I told you so mentality.

Rangers Support is by far the most bonkers when it comes to this.

Is it too simple to simply trust our manager on this one?
You know, the same manager we're all universally loving, the same manager who has seen us all applauding the board for making such an exciting and innovative appointment?

If Steven Gerrard, who knows far more about the prospective signing than any single poster on FF, wants Jon Flanagan, then that's good enough for me.

We can all debate the merits of the signing based on playing ability and the off-field baggage, but I'll trust Gerrard on this one.

It’s been too positive, some on FF are desperate to jump on Gerrard for something.

Because he once had good pedigree and isn't coming to warm a bench.

Its obvious

I don't think it is, at all, we have full backs, one a current international and the other one of our most effective players, hes a player who has totally lost his way and will have to prove himself all over again.

Disallowing someone the chance to right their wrongs while in a state of regret and acceptance of punishment does not embody good morals.

I think there is always a line you cross that say's your a total scumbag beating up a woman is that for me and never morally acceptable apology or not.
Fair enough if you feel he deserves forgiveness but I'm certainly not in agreement.

Because he once had good pedigree and isn't coming to warm a bench.

Its obvious
Not so to me, frankly I don't want him but the jury is definitely out on him as a player as is the Brighton lad. We are signing players that had potential but have lost their way for various reasons. There is no guarantee they will work out. Both are gambles imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back