Football and family life.

I found as I’ve gotten older I can brush it off easily. There’s more to life than football. Much more. Having gone through some genuine hardships over the past few years I’ve realised that whatever your circumstances be grateful that you’re alive. That’s more than can be said for 99% of humans that have ever lived. Don’t waste your time being annoyed about some grown men who can’t do their jobs properly.

Was at a house warming tonight and not one of us was even in mood for party to the point I’ve left now at 1030 even drink can’t Male is forget this result today

Personally i've had a bad couple of days and tonights game has just rounded it off. The mrs has told me " Get over it, you've got more important things to worry about " Shes right as i have, but that means nothing at the minute.
Football is one of the few things that can change a shit day to a great day and it feels like that’s barely happened for us for a long time . When rangers are winning it makes me forget all the crap that’s going on everywhere else in my life

I live alone. Lost a wife because I was always at football and thought I could come and go as I pleased. Wasnt about bad moods or getting down about results (was during Advocatts time). I was drinking way too much and going to games everywhere.
Never took the good or bad moods home tho.
Family is always more important than football

Always try very hard not to take it out on the family, particularly when they're feeling just about as bad and disappointed as I am.

I care in direct relation to the team's performance.

Nights like Wednesday leave me elated but abject shows like today make me think, "If they don't care that much, why should I?"

Come tomorrow morning we'll all still be Bears no matter what and still will be long after all the current players and management are gone.

It actually IS only a game.

I'm so moody and my twin boys always take losing badly my wife deserves a medal and also find follow follow bear pit chat post helps

Sick of going to work being laughed at by mentally challengeds.
Rangers are doing in my mental health.
Imagine waking up every morning with the eternal shame that you could support Celtic? That would most certainly f*ck with your mental health.

I’ve never had that problem. I have the ability to compartmentalise even the worst things in my life. A positive in some respects, the opposite in others.

Come home from the fitbaw on a day like today and i really am a huffy grumpy bastard and my missus and kids take the brunt of my moods. Tell myself repeatedly that i wont ever let the emotions of the game interfere with my family life and always try to forget about it after the final whistle goes but days like today it is virtually impossible to pick yourself up from being so deflated and it does affect the people around me.
Anyone else find themselves affecting their loved ones after a shite day like today? Or do you find it easy to just switch off from the football when you walk through the front door?
Am as big a rangers fan as you’ll find , but I don’t let it get it in the way or go in a huff with the family , lives to short to be a huffy bastard about fitba.

Switched the phone off at 7:30pm determined not to fuck up the night. Switched on the laptop instead and ended up arguing with folk on FB and commenting on here. A power cut would've been better.

On the floor... bring back the 6:05pm Sunday games, wouldn't ruin as much of the weekend.

Think most of us are the same , kidding on we are listening to the wife or watching the tv with her , but really posting on here and venting in group chats about our current predicament re Gerrard . It’s brutal and could’ve been so different but for some ludicrous refereeing and certain players letting the manager down badly
Not certain players mate, I’d say since January only truly Arfield can say he’s not let anyone down

Not certain players mate, I’d say since January only truly Arfield can say he’s not let anyone down

That may well be true my man , but I’m talking about two in particular - two guys who were already here when Gerrard arrived - alfie and Tav , on their day our best two players , but have spectacularly misfired due to one thing or another when we have needed them most .

I’m a fan of both especially Alfie , but I do think if the manager is staying , he is sadly going to have to cash in on some assets in summer and be ruthless .

And in December I was dead against a rebuild by selling our “ best “ players . I was wrong .

Honestly, I forget it the minute the game’s done now. Haven’t always been like that but family and some very difficult experiences have helped me realise that, no matter how emotionally attached to the Rangers I am, it is only a game. World will still be spinning and we’ll all have the same shit to deal with tomorrow.

Honestly, I forget it the minute the game’s done now. Haven’t always been like that but family and some very difficult experiences have helped me realise that, no matter how emotionally attached to the Rangers I am, it is only a game. World will still be spinning and we’ll all have the same shit to deal with tomorrow.

I come home after games or when they’re done on tv etc
Look at my girls and think, why would I sit here and waste time I have with them by being angry or upset about something that I have zero control over? Is me being pissed off going to change the result or future results? No.
the players, staff etc all get paid at the end of the day, so they can go on about hurting etc all they want. I’m not letting their lack of application to their jobs impact my family.

Fell out with my daughter because of the mood I’m in and now she has broke my heart by telling me she doesn’t want daddy to read her nightly bedtime story . I’ve told her now that she’s 26 it’s about time she thought about getting her own place to stay .

Genuine lol at this. Properly reeled me in at first.

When I was younger, dunno exact age but certainly most of my 20s, it was life and death for me. Totally ruined my mood. However as the years went by and, well honestly I'll say I developed a more meaningful life, it doesn't impact me much at all now. This comes with the massive caveat that I live abroad and don't need to deal with the other side at all.

Spectator sport isn't really a proper hobby in my eyes. You aren't doing anything, they aren't your achievements. I think taking up another hobby can be healthy, especially for those taking bad results out on their kids and missing work. Also, getting a bit more career focused doesn't hurt. Career success, solid family relationships, having skills and interests that your good at - these are much more a measure of a man than how succesful 11 other men, who you don't know and having nothing in common with, are at scoring more goals than the opposition.

In saying all that I still went mental when we beat them at the piggery.

I come home after games or when they’re done on tv etc
Look at my girls and think, why would I sit here and waste time I have with them by being angry or upset about something that I have zero control over? Is me being pissed off going to change the result or future results? No.
the players, staff etc all get paid at the end of the day, so they can go on about hurting etc all they want. I’m not letting their lack of application to their jobs impact my family.

That’s a great attitude and I’m trying to adopt it myself . At 45 years of age it’s difficult , I’m like my old man I find it affects me far more than it should when we get beat especially when we show lack of fight

When football starts to consume you the way it does those filthy bastards across the city that's when you know it's time to pack it in. Gut wrenching as days like this are, a big part of being a bear is being better enabled mentally to deal with the disappointment.

Come home from the fitbaw on a day like today and i really am a huffy grumpy bastard and my missus and kids take the brunt of my moods. Tell myself repeatedly that i wont ever let the emotions of the game interfere with my family life and always try to forget about it after the final whistle goes but days like today it is virtually impossible to pick yourself up from being so deflated and it does affect the people around me.
Anyone else find themselves affecting their loved ones after a shite day like today? Or do you find it easy to just switch off from the football when you walk through the front door?

Was going to post something similar after finding myself being really short with the kids earlier. The combination of losing matches to utter shite and desperation to win something under Stevie G wears heavy. I have a reasonably stressful job but nothing fucks up my mood like a Rangers defeat.

Well I'm glad it's not just me. Absolutely raging. Fortunately I'm 1000s of miles away from my family just now so they won't get the brunt of it. Then I got sent a scan picture of my grandson who is due to arrive in the next 6 weeks or so and I thought f@#k it I'll give SG a break for tonight.

I've just drowned the goldfish, told the Labrador he's getting no more chocolate and confiscated the missus ironing board. I'll probably calm down tomorrow though.

I could have wrote this myself mate, someone on the match thread said I’m signing off for the good of my health and he’s right I checked my blood pressure it was through the roof, and to be honest these players don’t deserve our support

Everything fing shite for me these days fvcking raging and sick of everything.
My teams shite, My family life's shite, My work lifes shite, it's shite and i don't know how much a have left to put up with it all.

Fvcking soul destoying.
Like the other bears have said on here, "you don't stand alone" we are all with you brother. Life gets pretty shit at times and it seems like a constant uphill struggle but it doesn't last forever. I've been there as have lots of other lads on here I'm sure.
We'll never turn our back on a fellow bear. If you need to talk I'm right here.
PM me if you want.

I bottle it all up keep it to myself,my burden sort of thing so as not to annoy the wife but after 46 years of marriage she knows whenever I'm down.

I know what you mean but you gotta rise above. They are more important than those wage thief's

i always feel like shit when the bears lose but my lovely wife always cheers me up with her outlook on life , although an adopted rangers fan herself she is brazilian and understands the pain of losing football games although very seldom

Don't see my girlfriend any day we're playing, as the night never works out if we lose.

Must be a nightmare for married Bears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m done for the season, will go to the Leverkusen game but I’m just angry with this team now. Sick of bottlers especially ones who feel sorry for themselves.

Will no doubt go again next season which sounds a bit Mark Warburton like today’s performance.

It annoys me but I try not to let it ruin my day the way it used to. Yes we all care and want Rangers to win trophies. Yes we hate seeing Celtc win. Yes we hate them winding us up.

But I buried 2 of my kids as newborns, currently really struggling with my son and as a result my relationship and home life is close to completely breaking. And it does bring the overall importance of football into focus so I’m usually pretty good at letting poor Rangers results go now.

Like most our family are in constant debate and turmoil of what has been life following Rangers.

I'm utterly hacked off with the shite I read on this forum, we need a period of stability, not short-termism. The time that will sustain us through the next 10- 20 years, chopping and changing at every bump in the road will never get us there.
My older brother sent me a message "it's the hope that kills you" no doubt he is right, but it's so fucking hard when you are so near to getting those crucial victories. I'm sure my younger brother feels the same.
But we will get up tomorrow and do what we always do.

We are the closest to being the team we should be for the last 15 years, Onwards and Upwards.

My dug can tell when Rangers have been beaten... and it instinctively hides in the kitchen cupboard from me... :oops:
tenor.gif

Like most our family are in constant debate and turmoil of what has been life following Rangers.

I'm utterly hacked off with the shite I read on this forum, we need a period of stability, not short-termism. The time that will sustain us through the next 10- 20 years, chopping and changing at every bump in the road will never get us there.
My older brother sent me a message "it's the hope that kills you" no doubt he is right, but it's so fucking hard when you are so near to getting those crucial victories. I'm sure my younger brother feels the same.
But we will get up tomorrow and do what we always do.

We are the closest to being the team we should be for the last 15 years, Onwards and Upwards.
It really is the hope that kills you! Just completely fucked off with the emotions of being a bear my ticker can't take much more lol

I think we all care too much, and there’s nothing that can change that once you’ve started unfortunately.

It annoys me but I try not to let it ruin my day the way it used to. Yes we all care and want Rangers to win trophies. Yes we hate seeing Celtc win. Yes we hate them winding us up.

But I buried 2 of my kids as newborns, currently really struggling with my son and as a result my relationship and home life is close to completely breaking. And it does bring the overall importance of football into focus so I’m usually pretty good at letting poor Rangers results go now.
I feel for you brother. Hope life gives you a pat on the back real.soon. Keep the faith.

A few years ago before their run of 8 and our demotion to the lower tiers I used to drink in the local mentally challengeds bar as a lot of my mates were Tims. I was the only blue nose in a mentally challenged bar on old firm day and I put up with years of abuse and got the piss ripped out of me at every turn but I never gave up.
And then it happens, we start beating them again and win the title. So I ripped right into the lot of them on my own 75 against 1. I wasn't giving a f**k. The only abuse I got back was from the young team and they were told to shut up.and take it by the older tims. As they said I'd earned the right to give them sh1t for all the years I'd stood there and taken it from them.
And as they always say " it's always darkest right before the dawn"
Let's not give up on Rangers yet.
What goes around comes around!!

A few years ago before their run of 8 and our demotion to the lower tiers I used to drink in the local mentally challengeds bar as a lot of my mates were Tims. I was the only blue nose in a mentally challenged bar on old firm day and I put up with years of abuse and got the piss ripped out of me at every turn but I never gave up.
And then it happens, we start beating them again and win the title. So I ripped right into the lot of them on my own 75 against 1. I wasn't giving a f**k. The only abuse I got back was from the young team and they were told to shut up.and take it by the older tims. As they said I'd earned the right to give them sh1t for all the years I'd stood there and taken it from them.
And as they always say " it's always darkest right before the dawn"
Let's not give up on Rangers yet.
What goes around comes around!!
Fair play mate. Could not even contemplate drinking in a poet den never mind spending old firm day in there haha madness

If the players don’t care & don’t get upset then i tend to think the same about them

Switched off straight after FT

It was my Ruby Wedding yesterday and I had to change a celebration dinner into lunch so we could watch the match. 40 years ago I got married on a Friday so I could go to Ibrox on the Saturday to watch us beat Hibs 1-0. To say I am gutted is an understatement. So yes, family life is impacted by results like this.

It was my Ruby Wedding yesterday and I had to change a celebration dinner into lunch so we could watch the match. 40 years ago I got married on a Friday so I could go to Ibrox on the Saturday to watch us beat Hibs 1-0. To say I am gutted is an understatement. So yes, family life is impacted by results like this.
Congratulations!

Back