Football and family life.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate it when we get beat, especially by them but let’s face it, Rangers have been in the doldrums for more or less a decade now so defeats and not winning trophies is increasingly becoming the norm.

I never take it out on the wife and kids though. Football is important and fills a sizeable part of my life but the older I’ve got the more other things have overtaken it, like having a family. That gives me perspective.

Alas, football for me is no longer the be all and end all that it once was when I was younger.

Cmon lads. I just spent some time with my daughter after the match, things like that are much more important than that shite we watched

I sit there raging. Until I see my baby girls face and remember it's just a game.
I then switch off from the football and do my job.
Be the best father and husband I can be.

It's a shite result but come on guys. Much much more to life.

Fair play mate. Could not even contemplate drinking in a poet den never mind spending old firm day in there haha madness
To be fair it became a neutral and adopted help for heroes as a charity after one of their own never came back from Afghanistan.
Then it's gone completely back to being a stinking mentally challenged bar after the bears left and is struggling to stay afloat.

Chin up mate the football is just football at the end of the day so much more important things in life. But whatever u may be going through elsewhere, i hope you can seek advice for it or figure it out in your own way im sure you will take care
Second this i hope todays a better day for you mate stay strong

When the result doesn’t go our way, I don’t feel like speaking to anyone, it always puts me in a mood

Doesn't help when the misses says "it's only a game"... I listen to her pish about who's dating who and what the neighbours are up to least she can do is feign a slight interest in my Rangers woes.

Come home from the fitbaw on a day like today and i really am a huffy grumpy bastard and my missus and kids take the brunt of my moods. Tell myself repeatedly that i wont ever let the emotions of the game interfere with my family life and always try to forget about it after the final whistle goes but days like today it is virtually impossible to pick yourself up from being so deflated and it does affect the people around me.
Anyone else find themselves affecting their loved ones after a shite day like today? Or do you find it easy to just switch off from the football when you walk through the front door?
Even made up my own swear words yesterday...in front of them all :(...didn't know I had such a high pitched scream too...
Today is just depression

I always make a point not to take out frustration in family or friends. I don't think it's fair and I don't appreciate or expect it from them. I just deal with it in my own way. It's not them I'm angry at/with so why should they suffer?

Pissed off on bus home and then get to the local with mates and forget all about the game and have a laugh wouldnt even think of taking it out on loved ones

It was my Ruby Wedding yesterday and I had to change a celebration dinner into lunch so we could watch the match. 40 years ago I got married on a Friday so I could go to Ibrox on the Saturday to watch us beat Hibs 1-0. To say I am gutted is an understatement. So yes, family life is impacted by results like this.

She's a lucky lady!

Come home from the fitbaw on a day like today and i really am a huffy grumpy bastard and my missus and kids take the brunt of my moods. Tell myself repeatedly that i wont ever let the emotions of the game interfere with my family life and always try to forget about it after the final whistle goes but days like today it is virtually impossible to pick yourself up from being so deflated and it does affect the people around me.
Anyone else find themselves affecting their loved ones after a shite day like today? Or do you find it easy to just switch off from the football when you walk through the front door?
From anything I have witnessed mate it can be just as bad for families of the managers.

Just go silent and don't speak to anyone. In a mood and generally hate life.

Our group whatsapp is funny, you can tell exactly when someones team loses because there is nothing usually posted by them for at least 2 days.

Celtic mates have stopped ripping the p*** because they know I will fly off the handle at them. I used to enjoy the banter but with how toxic things are just now with the game I really cant be bothered with it.

Tried to care less and less but I cant - its my team at the end of the day. Say to the missus I'm not spending anymore money going to see them , then a few days later I'm going to Hamilton at home ha

What's that I hear.....

The world's smallest violin on this thread.

Fucking suck It up bears if a rangers result is making you snap at your family ye should maybe give up football for the good of everyone's health

It fucking ruins me. It’s actually starting to dawn on me how much Rangers actually effects my home life. On Saturday it was as if a family member had suddenly died, I was miserable and snappy at everyone. Takes me probably a full day to get some perspective on things. Compare and contrast Wednesday night when you had to scrape me off the ceiling as I was so happy.

I live alone. Lost a wife because I was always at football and thought I could come and go as I pleased. Wasnt about bad moods or getting down about results (was during Advocatts time). I was drinking way too much and going to games everywhere.
Never took the good or bad moods home tho.
Family is always more important than football
Just to lighten the mood a little.
A school friend of mine is a staunch mentally challenged. We would work away all week and then go to the football at the weekends and drinking session after. Barely had time for his wife and then she said " I think you love that fuc*^*g Celtic more than you you love me, to which he replied "I think I love rangers more than I love you"
A very single mentally challenged now .

As I get older it gets worse but Family has always been more important Than Rangers to me, although they would probably disagree with that.
I had a wee health scare 4 years ago, so I don't jump about like a nutcase anymore but still feel the same inside. Perfectly healthy now, just a wee bit more sensible.
After a defeat, I try not to talk to anyone for 15 minutes and can't watch a game in the Pub as I fall out with anyone slagging the team or the Club, I know everyone has an opinion on everything, I just don't want to hear it.
I have never shouted criticism at any Rangers Player at a match in all my life and there is only a few I wouldn't invite to do a Q and A
If I have nothing good to say about Rangers, I say nothing.

According to everyone I’m a wanker when we slip up. Probably shouldn’t take it out on people though it’s not their fault

Its more my work colleagues that 'suffer'. Although they might not describe it as suffering if I don't talk to them.

Was nightshift the night Motherwell beat us in a semi final a couple of years back. Took me til about 4 in the morning before I spoke to anyone.

Following the rangers for me is almost a coping mechanism. After 24 years serving my country and suffering with a bit of PTSD/combat stress and having been retired for a few years now, pulling on the scarf, getting on the supporters bus, a few wets on the way to the game, really helps me feel part of a team again. Knocks the sh1t out of you when we get beat of course but with all the fans pulling together, everybody with the same objective, its better than counselling. The camaraderie is what I love and the never say die attitude of my fellow bears.
It's always darkest right before the dawn. We are the people!

Most of the time I can switch off after a defeat quite easily. Then there is certain games where I'm in a lady's front bottom of a mood for hours

It really is starting to wear me down now. I feel agitated and down about it all and being surrounded by Tims right now at work is only making it worse. There is no "banter", I'm not remotely in the mood anymore for it and I think even they can sense it from me.

I had a fall out with my partner during the game last night as I was shouting, swearing and cursing while watching it, said she"d never seen me like that before , why get so annoyed and upset, its only a game of football.
She has no clue about football and has never watched it , just told her she doesn't get it.
She does want me to take her to a game at Ibrox, I maybe will but it certainly wont be this season now!

I had a fall out with my partner during the game last night as I was shouting, swearing and cursing while watching it, said she"d never seen me like that before , why get so annoyed and upset, its only a game of football.
She has no clue about football and has never watched it , just told her she doesn't get it.
She does want me to take her to a game at Ibrox, I maybe will but it certainly wont be this season now!

I have the opposite problem, my girlfriend is a tim season ticket holder and probably knows more about football than a lot of my pals (apart from supporting Celtic, obviously). So when I got back from the match last night, after she had finished gloating, she got into a tactical discussion about where I thought Gerrard was going wrong. In a way I respect the fact she knows a lot about the game, but on nights like last night I couldn’t be arsed.

Back