Football computer games of old

Loved Fifa 96 and 97 and ISS Pro Evolution. Remember Frank De Boer on the cover of 96 and indoor games on Fifa 97. For some reason absolutely loved the through balls on Pro Ev, still think its the best football game made, if only it had good graphics :eek:

Cant forget Champ Man and Sensible Soccer too.

ISS and Fifa '94 were my favourites. used to always go Germany in.the latter.

Brian Plank Loyal :)

Match Day for the spectrum 48k .

Kids these days don't know how lucky they are.
God Almighty... that brings back a few memories. I used to play that for hours on end when I was a kid and then when the first Fifa Soccer came out (on either the Sega Megadrive or was it the ps1?) I couldn't believe just how good it was in comparison!

I vividly remember having Fifa tournaments every Monday night with my mates (I was always Holland) and thinking how could they possibly improve this, it's so realistic. :rolleyes:

God Almighty... that brings back a few memories. I used to play that for hours on end when I was a kid and then when the first Fifa Soccer came out (on either the Sega Megadrive or was it the ps1?) I couldn't believe just how good it was in comparison!

I vividly remember having Fifa tournaments every Monday night with my mates (I was always Holland) and thinking how could they possibly improve this, it's so realistic. :rolleyes:

The original FIFA really was ground breaking.

I used to love one for the Commodore 64 which were just letters and numbers. No graphics at all. Can't remember the name of it but i was addicted. Was great. I vividly remember continental games and River Plate etc were in it for some reason, no idea what tournament that would have been. To go to a menu or page you had to enter the corresponding number. The transfers in it were amazing.

Also one called The Manager for C64 too. Was soooo good!

And of course the early 90s Champ Mans. Crazy addictive.

I think IIRC Premier Manager was the big one ahead of its time, with stadium reconstruction etc in it.

Great memories.

Not quite a console game, but the amount of time I spent bored in work on Roberto Baggio Free Kick was unreal!

Reactions: NSB
Who remembers "2 player soccer squad" for the spectrum?

First football game I ever played.

Not quite a console game, but the amount of time I spent bored in work on Roberto Baggio Free Kick was unreal!

Can't remember how many hours I spent playing that.

With the wind in you favour, you'd pull off outrageous banana shots.

track_and_field.gif
That used to feature on a kids quiz show with Paul Coia and Debbie Greenwood

Anyone remember Peles Soccer on the Atari? It was utter dogshit!

You basically had 3 wee blobs that were either Red or Blue and they all moved together in a triangle with a white box which was the ball and that was it.

Only played computers for a short spell but on the SNES to begin with - Street Fighter, Mario World & Donkey Kong were tremendous.

Special shout out to the Tony Hawk Skater games on the Playstation.

Fifa 98 RTWC was the game changer. I used to go back and play that even after the Ps2 came out.

Anybody remember Actua Soccer? Think it was one of the bundle games you got with the original Playstation.

1416941-actuasoccer2_ps1_eu.jpg

51799-Actua_Soccer_2_(E)-3.jpg

I used to have a spectrum game called "Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona" which was pretty random. Best football game ever is SWOS, followed by Man Utd Europe on the Amiga. I remember sitting for ages editing all the names to Rangers players.
Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona lol that is brilliant. Thought it was a joke, had to google before I believed you :)

Sensible Soccer (Half way line screamers)
Fifa 97? (Indoor mode)
Ultimate Soccer Manger (Bung refs, bet on your team and sell cheap booze to the fans)

Kevin Toms Football Manager. The original one. His follow up, Football Manager 2, was arguably better, but much more difficult to navigate. I was addicted to the original on the C64. 15 mins to load and would then play it till 3 or 4 in the morning. Now Kevin Toms has a new version of the original as an app. Kevin Toms Football Star Manager, and he's about to release an update with the game highlights, which I'm super excited about.

Probably played most footy games since Match Day on the Spectrum. One of my favourites as a kid was Microprose Soccer on the C64

The camera was overhead and I think it was one of the first to have weather and banana shots.

There used to be an arcade game like it where the controller was a ball the you had to keep spinning with your hand.

I use to love a game called striker, when I thought about this I've played every single FIFA since 1994, played italia 90 and pretty much every title mentioned in this post, a lot of hours wasted. I still play FIFA to this day.

Recently dug out some old ps2 games, was playing fifa 2002 and this is football:D

Would love another shot of fifa 94 on the sega.

Championship manaer 2001/02 was the best imo
Can't remember which FIFA it was but there was one 3or4 years ago that let you play that version. I'll ask my boys if they remember.

I use to love a game called striker, when I thought about this I've played every single FIFA since 1994, played italia 90 and pretty much every title mentioned in this post, a lot of hours wasted. I still play FIFA to this day.
Did you have the diving goalies for striker, brilliant game :)

All I recall is Andy Gray shouting goal every time you score, don't remember much else to be honest.
We are talking different games mate, striker was also the name for a tabletop 5 a side game from the 70's. you pushed down on the guys head and he kicked the ball. Diving goalies were extra.

Fifa 98 RTWC was the game changer. I used to go back and play that even after the Ps2 came out.

Anybody remember Actua Soccer? Think it was one of the bundle games you got with the original Playstation.

1416941-actuasoccer2_ps1_eu.jpg

51799-Actua_Soccer_2_(E)-3.jpg

At the time these games were really really good and offered a lot of promise but they just never maintained the momentum. Probably played them as much as I did Fifa for a good while.

Iss on the super nes was some game, liked how they had valderrama with his big hair & roberto Baggio with the ponytail etc

The Amiga had some cracking management games in its day.

Champ Manager 93 - sign Mark Collis and Ferrerah Orosco from Cambridge right away and they were superstars in your team the whole game.

Premier Manager 2 - used to start with Wycombe Wanderers in the conference. Steve Guppy was superb.

And Sensible Soccer or Sensible World of soccer.

Once we upgraded from an Amiga to a PC I was addicted to Champ Manager 3. Played it for hours on end for months at a time. Players like Robbie Keane, Rio Ferdinand, Kieron Dyer were all young players. Would sign them up first season and have them till they retired.

The new football manager games are good but they're not a patch on the old Champ Manager games.

First game I really played was World Cup Italia 90 on the Atari. Also a game called Manchester United in Europe.

Kick Off 3 European Challenge on the SNES came after that. Still remembering thinking was the best thing ever.

Played Striker and that was pretty good too.

Best of but has got to be Champ Man Italia. Juventus are still my second team now from then and always playing as them in that game (and later watching Football Italia on C4).

Notable mentions CM97/98, Fifa 98 and Pro Evo 3.

And This Is Football where you could play as school teams (I'm sure one team had a player called Jobbie) and you could dive.

Does anyone remember there was an official Champions League game as well?

Wasted some amount of hours on CM 01/02.

Going back further I used to love Super Soccer and Striker for the SNES.

Predating that I had Manchester United in Europe, great game.
Was also about to post about this - was first game I remember playing a lot on the Amiga - loved it and how it had all these exotic European teams you used to see on Ceefax and Teletext only.

It was a grudging enjoyment I had of it as I was brought up with Man City being our 2nd team after Rangers - used to change the players names on Man Utd Europe to Rangers players I think (or at least I pretended I did :D)

Then Sensi came around a season or two later - purchased from some stall in the Barra's - and that was me hooked on that and didn't have to play as Man Utd anymore thankfully.

Anyone also remember a game called 'Football Champ' or something? Started off as an arcade before being converted to amiga.... loved the arcade version but didn't translate well to the home computer

Can't beat sensible soccer for me. Many a day and night pissed away playing this when I was a youngster.

Great to see the games from the poor kids computers getting a mention.

The number of football games for the Spectrum and C64 was brilliant.

Stick yer Amiga and Sensible soccer.

SWOS was legendary. Sunk thousands of hours into that game. Used to take Montevito from San Marino, where most of the players were worth 25k and take them to win the champions league.

Premier Manager 3 was one of the hardest management games i've played, always started off with Halifax Town, think only once i got promoted to the 3rd division, every other time i'd get sacked!

Ultimate Soccer Manager was also superb.

Back