Francis Connor - Cheating Linesman

Like so many of Mr Connor’s decision that have gone against us, this one was not of the “ in line” variety, it was clear and blatant.
And to those who think he just didn’t see the Celtc player on the ground I’d say their are none so blind as they who will not see.
Six feet plus and fourteen stone of, ahem, humanity wearing a vibrantly coloured strip does not blend in and disappear, he’s wearing a green and grey hooped shirt for feck sake, not a dazzle pattern Camouflage.

Not as bad as Mulvanny's, although I did say that one in the SF was the worst onside call I'd ever seen.

This one is still horrendously bad. An honest league would bin someone for making such a bad error.

The ref doesn’t blow until the passage has stopped. It’s in their training

I await “aye but would you trust it in scotland”

Yes. Yes I would. These referees want world cups, euro games etc and you don’t get that by being a shite referee on purpose.
None of them are shite refs so we can forget that nonsense.

Maybe being a ref that does not upset the media and Celtic fc is the way to get the big games abroad, its certainly never done Madden, Clancy, Beaton or Craig Thomson when he was reffin, any harm... it seems obvious to me the whole sfa system is corrupt and a lot of effort has gone into putting people in place that know the score.

The other reason these refs want VAR is to be 100 per cent sure press coverage is excellent, which it has been for around 10 years or so now.

Unfortunately, contrary to what you say, VAR would not have helped one little bit in this situation. Think about it, assistant puts his flag up for offside and the ref blows his whistle and stops the game. Then he decides to ask VAR for clarification and VAR informs him the offside decision was wrong. What do we actually get out of it? A dropped ball around the edge of the Celtic penalty box with the entire Celtic team now between the ball and the goal. Hardly benefiting us in any real way. The only way VAR helps us in this situation is if the game is allowed to progress to a conclusion, that conclusion being, hopefully, a goal and then, when the assistant says to the ref "I think there may have been an offside in the build up", VAR can be used to confirm there wasn't.
No play continues , if Sakala scores or ball goes out then the flag goes up. Then Var comes into play that’s my understanding.

None of them are shite refs so we can forget that nonsense.

Maybe being a ref that does not upset the media and Celtic fc is the way to get the big games abroad, its certainly never done Madden, Clancy, Beaton or Craig Thomson when he was reffin, any harm... it seems obvious to me the whole sfa system is corrupt and a lot of effort has gone into putting people in place that know the score.

The other reason these refs want VAR is to be 100 per cent sure press coverage is excellent, which it has been for around 10 years or so now.
How many of them have got big games abroad?

Im not sure and cant be arsed going to find the stats but i read on here quite often the officials do european games all the time.

why not ? we dont have bad refs the standard is possibly better here than some top leagues. What we have is bias and rule bending in most situations. Quick cards for Rangers lenient with Celtic.

Or for example when a Rangers player goes down with a bash to the head the ref will play on as its a great chance for Celtic to score, if Rangers are on a 3v2 break(same opposition same venue) whistle goes for a hand ball which ref had already seen and decided wasnt a foul, as he does not want a goal scored which could upset his bosses/any of our enemies.

Its safe refereeing the more biased you are more games you get.

Im not sure and cant be arsed going to find the stats but i read on here quite often the officials do european games all the time.

why not ? we dont have bad refs the standard is possibly better here than some top leagues. What we have is bias and rule bending in most situations. Quick cards for Rangers lenient with Celtic.

Or for example when a Rangers player goes down with a bash to the head the ref will play on as its a great chance for Celtic to score, if Rangers are on a 3v2 break(same opposition same venue) whistle goes for a hand ball which ref had already seen and decided wasnt a foul, as he does not want a goal scored which could upset his bosses/any of our enemies.

Its safe refereeing the more biased you are more games you get.
So you’re telling me you honestly believe if a referee blows his whistle for an incorrect offside, before letting the play pass, whilst var is in play… you believe he will be handed Euro games as a reward?

Moonhowling of the highest order mate, no disrespect or anything :))

So you’re telling me you honestly believe if a referee blows his whistle for an incorrect offside, before letting the play pass, whilst var is in play… you believe he will be handed Euro games as a reward?

Moonhowling of the highest order mate, no disrespect or anything :))
I never said that you are putting words in my post, i said VAR will be manipulated by scottish refs and that our officials have the ability to ref at a high level none of them are hopeless.

No problem at all its important for you lot to scream moonhowler, paranoia, timmy behaviour, when you get confused.

I never said that you are putting words in my post, i said VAR will be manipulated by scottish refs and that our officials have the ability to ref at a high level none of them are hopeless.

No problem at all its important for you lot to scream moonhowler, paranoia, timmy behaviour, when you get confused.
Ok well my original point was these referees want to ref the top games around europe and they won’t get that by wrongly applying the rules of VAR so please save the moonhowling for someone who believes in it

Ok well my original point was these referees want to ref the top games around europe and they won’t get that by wrongly applying the rules of VAR so please save the moonhowling for someone who believes in it
Correct. The ones that are FIFA refs or FIFA assistants won’t be for much longer if they don’t apply VAR properly.

Unfortunately, contrary to what you say, VAR would not have helped one little bit in this situation. Think about it, assistant puts his flag up for offside and the ref blows his whistle and stops the game. Then he decides to ask VAR for clarification and VAR informs him the offside decision was wrong. What do we actually get out of it? A dropped ball around the edge of the Celtic penalty box with the entire Celtic team now between the ball and the goal. Hardly benefiting us in any real way. The only way VAR helps us in this situation is if the game is allowed to progress to a conclusion, that conclusion being, hopefully, a goal and then, when the assistant says to the ref "I think there may have been an offside in the build up", VAR can be used to confirm there wasn't.
That's exactly what it is there for. It allows the move to be finished (so maybe a goal to us), and then checked.
They are instructed to let the move flow and finish.

That's exactly what it is there for. It allows the move to be finished (so maybe a goal to us), and then checked.
They are instructed to let the move flow and finish.

As a fan/viewer, that can be an annoying part of the offside law. However, in the cases highlited above it would be beneficial to the attacking team for sure. And getting it 'right' is what VAR should be all about (Scottish officials bricking it as I type).

Every nation’s referees get “big games abroad” all associations are represented at European and International level.

Its only when you get to the latter stages and they are scrambling for neutral referees when you see how highly rated ours are.

The problem we have is with no VAR there is no one picking up on their incompetence/cheating domestically. On the Euro stage they have someone in the background who can spot “clear and obvious” errors.

Correct. The ones that are FIFA refs or FIFA assistants won’t be for much longer if they don’t apply VAR properly.
So you would say they are good refs then i agree.

What about honestly ? as i dont trust any of them its not going to end the issue with rule bending or seeing everything from the tims pov.

They have to be popular and supported by the sfa also to get anywhere near any of these european ties.

Back