Frankfurt Morelos

I'm relaxed with the Alfredo situation. If he stays great, we replace Lafferty with a young striker with potential (we will have potential targets I'm sure) and we have selection options depending on opposition. If Alfie goes for circa £20 million, I'm sure we are aware of replacements in the £5 million to £10 million range who can flourish in the SPL and still bring in the Lafferty replacement.
I think we are in a good place .

I'm relaxed with the Alfredo situation. If he stays great, we replace Lafferty with a young striker with potential (we will have potential targets I'm sure) and we have selection options depending on opposition. If Alfie goes for circa £20 million, I'm sure we are aware of replacements in the £5 million to £10 million range who can flourish in the SPL and still bring in the Lafferty replacement.
I think we are in a good place .
I'd seriously doubt that we would spent up to £10m on one player as a replacement. Hope I'm wrong though.

The fact of the matter is this Rangers teams can win games without Morelos starting. They showed it at the end of last season and I think most of us would say we have a stronger squad and potentially more goals coming from players other than Morelos this season. We know what the risk is and the stakes are very high :

1. He’s sold, we don’t get a capable replacement in and Defoe gets an injury or a 50 odd game season is too much for him.

2. We sacrifice a real run at 55 and don’t quite make it and are left at the end of the season with the “ if only Morelos” had been here.

Both huge factors. And for me, especially the way Morelos has started the season ( he doesn’t get to choose the opposition), I think already his value has gone up considerably. Even if we have a team that has other goal scorers in it. I don’t think any of the inflated price talk for players from the East End has harmed it either.

There’s no way we should be selling him for less than 20 million now.

Let’s stop getting to carried away!

Stability at the club will and should be the first priority.

I would expect no more than £5m to be spent on a good striker and an investment in youth again

I don’t know anything though
what do you mean by stability at the club, is this a reference to our finances or player list, so Im clear losing a 20m striker and getting in a 5m one is gonna help us win the league

It doesn’t make any sense to sell Morelos now. He will he worth more next Summer; he will score more, we will win more, he will have more exposure, he will have more caps, and general crazy football inflation will continue to rise.

Moreover - we’ve signed 7 players for %^*& all and we don’t have any more spaces in the squad left (except Kent). Any striking replacement will be inferior. Next summer we will probably have to upgrade on a few positions (maybe goalkeeper, maybe Arfield, maybe Barisic, maybe DM and definitely out wide as Ojo/Kent are temporary).

Also, selling him for £20m would not be a lottery win, when Villa are buying Wesley Moraes from Brugge for more.

The fact of the matter is this Rangers teams can win games without Morelos starting. They showed it at the end of last season and I think most of us would say we have a stronger squad and potentially more goals coming from players other than Morelos this season. We know what the risk is and the stakes are very high :

1. He’s sold, we don’t get a capable replacement in and Defoe gets an injury or a 50 odd game season is too much for him.

2. We sacrifice a real run at 55 and don’t quite make it and are left at the end of the season with the “ if only Morelos” had been here.

Both huge factors. And for me, especially the way Morelos has started the season ( he doesn’t get to choose the opposition), I think already his value has gone up considerably. Even if we have a team that has other goal scorers in it. I don’t think any of the inflated price talk for players from the East End has harmed it either.

There’s no way we should be selling him for less than 20 million now.
so you want to sell him if we get a 20m offer, bottom line

It doesn’t make any sense to sell Morelos now. He will he worth more next Summer; he will score more, we will win more, he will have more exposure, he will have more caps, and general crazy football inflation will continue to rise.

Moreover - we’ve signed 7 players for %^*& all and we don’t have any more spaces in the squad left (except Kent). Any striking replacement will be inferior. Next summer we will probably have to upgrade on a few positions (maybe goalkeeper, maybe Arfield, maybe Barisic, maybe DM and definitely out wide as Ojo/Kent are temporary).

Also, selling him for £20m would not be a lottery win, when Villa are buying Wesley Moraes from Brugge for more.
exactly

so you want to sell him if we get a 20m offer, bottom line
I’d prefer we keep him, even at that because like just about everyone else on here 55 has such a big premium on it. But if he is going to go, it should be that amount minimum. I’d hope with some reasonable negotiating we’d get considerably more.

Posters moan that the press big up the mentally challenged players and inflate fees for them, yet when it comes to our biggest asset we have posters playing down his value saying we can't expect anything like value the club have said they believe he is worth.

It's all a bit mental.

I think you'll find that most of those posters (admittedly not all) are either supporters of Penn State Scotland or are actually the type of fan gullible enough to believe the nonsense they are fed in the Scottish press by the concealers’ cheerleaders.

I’d prefer we keep him, even at that because like just about everyone else on here 55 has such a big premium on it. But if he is going to go, it should be that amount minimum. I’d hope with some reasonable negotiating we’d get considerably more.
ok fair point, I agree 100% we need to keep him, do not want him to go even if offered 20M, his importance to the team has been somewhat circumvented by the last few games of last season, seems everyone has forgotten all the others where we relied on Alfie to win us the games, Im ignoring his disciplinary issues as I cannot see that repeating itself even with our f uckin refs

I know he scored three goals against the fourth best team in Gibraltar in the week *rolls eyes* but did anyone notice how much better we played when he came off? A bit like when he wasn’t in the team at the end of last season.

Add his discipline issues to him being slightly at odds with our best style of play... time for the buffalo to roam.

Did you notice how much better we played in the away match when Defoe went off and Alfredo came on?
Perhaps because the Gibraltarians tired from their first half efforts in both.
It really is a very shit analysis.

I could point out that Defoe did not score in the away match against the 4th best team in Gibraltar and Alfredo scored twice as many as he did overall in only a few minutes more playing time.
That is not a criticism of Defoe by the way. Just adding weight to the counter argument to your nonsense.

Last edited:
I really do hate how some people are referencing the end of last season - when the league was dead for us and almost every other team - of how well we can play "without Alfredo".

It's absolute pish.
just posted the exact same point

I really do hate how some people are referencing the end of last season - when the league was dead for us and almost every other team - of how well we can play "without Alfredo".

It's absolute pish.

Ok mate the wee fella is still here for next season who plays against St pats on the 1st sep Defoe or Alfie???
I’d go for Defoe.

There's always the possibility that we spend £5m on a replacement and he just doesn't work out. It happens. You look at Celtic. They blew a record £9m on Edouard and although he was their top scorer last season, he wasn't as effective for them as Dembele had been.

For that kind of money you would really kind of expect to get a 30 goals a season guy.

But I do think that Gerrard and Allen will have players in mind they believe can come in to the system we play and be at least as effective as Morelos.

If we spent £5m on a replacement and he scored 20+ next season and led us to the title, I doubt many would be complaining.

We did get extremely lucky with Morelos, and yes, it's difficult to repeat that precise buy low / sell high ratio every time we go shopping for a new striker, but with more money at our disposal it should allow us to look at a better quality of player thereby mitigating the chances of us ending up with a complete dud.
I think there’s a point where you can spend too much on a player to come here who then thinks he’s too good to be in the SPL.

, Im ignoring his disciplinary issues as I cannot see that repeating itself even with our f uckin refs

Your ignoring his major downfall???

%^*& me I hope I’m wrong and your right but the first time he costs us points by having that momment the Rangers support will go nuclear.

It's absolute pish.
It’s not really. It included victories against Celtic and Aberdeen for instance. ( I know he came on as a sub vs Celtic but the game was done by then).Two teams that are never going to give less than 100% whether the game is in August or May.

The argument shouldn’t be about if we can play well without him, we clearly can. For me it’s more about what it takes to win the league.

He doesnt qualify for a WP down south.

If he goes, it wont be to England.

Which works in our favour as mainland European clubs will be less likely to throw silly money about and thus wont meet our valuation.

He's staying. Get used to it, Scotland.
He already has a UK work permit.

Between the Morelos and Tav stories this has got Hollicom/Daily Record all over it .

Rangers = negative media

Soapdodgers and the phantom Arsenal/Napoli/Teirney "saga" = positve media .

One would think there's a deflection campaign going on .
You think this is Holicom? Lol.

Transfer speculation? No.

Holicoms work is yet to come. Expect 5-way agreement talks, commercial deal talks and probably Neely talk. Holicom aren’t even out of first gear yet.

Your ignoring his major downfall???

%^*& me I hope I’m wrong and your right but the first time he costs us points by having that momment the Rangers support will go nuclear.
Im not an apologist for undisciplined players but he did get f ucked over in some of those games he received a red in, if we have a level playing field and all things considered, including giving him some protection, then we wont see a repeat, this of course is my opinion and could always be proved wrong, but not a reason to sell him

Im not an apologist for undisciplined players but he did get f ucked over in some of those games he received a red in, if we have a level playing field and all things considered, including giving him some protection, then we wont see a repeat, this of course is my opinion and could always be proved wrong, but not a reason to sell him

I agree with you mate the refs in this country are a joke and I can only see them being worse next season when we start winning games and that lot struggle.
No doubt about it Alfie’s card is marked sadly.

If Alfie stays I think we still need another backup striker, if he goes we need 2, to the SPFL thats going to be difficult at best

As long as it’s a good acceptable deal for us then I don’t care a jot where he goes

If it’s Frankfurt & Germany then good luck to him

I only hope IF it’s going to happen then it happens soon so we can move on & so we can organise a replacement

As for price, I trust this board to do right for the future and not sell him cheap

I’m not in the keep him camp either, I believe his temperament means he’s been targeted here & I worry that will never shift

Therefore, a big offer & a replacement already lined up then I would be in the sell camp

It’s the best business for the club

Again only imho
A major factor for me .

All been fairly quiet given that we are, in effect ,still in close season although there have been a few murmurings in the press even then.

When the season kicks off he will be targeted for the treatment once again.

Whilst I don't think that is reason alone to sell him it certainly plays a major part .

Throw in the fact that we have to work to a certain model these days and him going for a big fee wouldn't be a disaster.

Alfie never played in front of Davis, Jack and Kamara.

That’s my point though i’d put him above Halliday on skill. At present, he’s probably our first choice left winger. Murphy is still recovering. Candeias isn’t at his best inverted and is probably for the off. I’d put Jones ahead of Hastie or Stewart on left wing.

If Kent returns or if we sign a left sided inside forward then it changes things. But for now that’s where we are.

Actually, Arfield might well be first choice left inside forward. That might arguably be better than Kent for end product.

Agree. Right now I’d go Arfield & Ojo.

A major factor for me .

All been fairly quiet given that we are, in effect ,still in close season although there have been a few murmurings in the press even then.

When the season kicks off he will be targeted for the treatment once again.

Whilst I don't think that is reason alone to sell him it certainly plays a major part .

Throw in the fact that we have to work to a certain model these days and him going for a big fee wouldn't be a disaster.
so you say its not a reason to sell him, then state but it plays a major part, which is it? if we sell because we dont believe he can get a fair go in the SPFL then the games over

I keep asking who are these replacements for Alfie that are going to get us 30 plus goals a season, it genuinely looks like a lot on here want Alfie gone, I just cannot for the life of me understand why, Im open to anyone that can put forward a genuine argument for letting him go, facts not feelings
The fact that the refs have it in for him and I can see it continuing this season in all honesty .

Let’s stop getting to carried away!

Stability at the club will and should be the first priority.

I would expect no more than £5m to be spent on a good striker and an investment in youth again

I don’t know anything though

Agree.

If we do sell my hero for 15-20m I think the club keeping 10m back secures the year financially in case we don’t make the EL Group stages.

I said it wasn't the sole reason , can you read .
perfectly well, you said his treatment plays a major part in selling him, my point is simple if we sell players due to how they are refereed, assuming thats your point, then f uck it whats the point why not the next guy or the next where does it stop, keep him and win 55 stick it up the f uckin lot of them

I use to be in the camp of "sell him if there's a big offer". I want him to stay now though. Get another good seadon under his belt with some good showings in Europe amd sell him next summer for big bucks.

Agree.

If we do sell my hero for 15-20m I think the club keeping 10m back secures the year financially in case we don’t make the EL Group stages.
what about winning the league? or even getting into the group stages of the EL, Alfie has to be an asset for us to realise this surely, then sell him next year for 30m if thats the best for the club

I keep asking who are these replacements for Alfie that are going to get us 30 plus goals a season, it genuinely looks like a lot on here want Alfie gone, I just cannot for the life of me understand why, Im open to anyone that can put forward a genuine argument for letting him go, facts not feelings
Well I want him to stay but people will say(and rightly so until her proves us wrong) that’s he needs to sort his disciplinary record out.

what about winning the league? or even getting into the group stages of the EL, Alfie has to be an asset for us to realise this surely, then sell him next year for 30m if thats the best for the club

What happens if he has brain fart again mate and gets sent off his price will drop.
Trust SG if he thinks he can be replaced then that’s it for me.

perfectly well, you said his treatment plays a major part in selling him, my point is simple if we sell players due to how they are refereed, assuming thats your point, then f uck it whats the point why not the next guy or the next where does it stop, keep him and win 55 stick it up the f uckin lot of them
Quite simple, it plays a large part in your thinking .

Where we are financially in Scotland is the deciding factor , if you think we can buy a player for £1m and be offered circa 20 times that and turn it down , then fair enough.

My point is, when you throw in how he has been treated in Scotland it makes the decision to sell even more sensible .

If he stays ,for whatever reason ,there will be people on here frothing at the gash because of his treatment both on and off the park next season and rightly so.

Fact is, it won't stop him getting bogus red cards etc., maybe if the club were actually willing to back him to the hilt when he is obviously wronged , who knows .

The problem is , even though I believe he has been harshly treated at times, he doesn't help himself at times either.

That's what will be jumped on next season , we all know it.

Back