Gerrard since joining Villa

As someone who has posted this before I’ll always be grateful for what Steven Gerrard done for us both on and off the park and he rightly deserves a prominent place in our history .
I really wish him well in anything he does in the future as we all should as an ex Rangers manager.

I’m not bitter how he left , disappointed yes , but it’s in the past now.

But I’d never have him back as manager, he had his time and I’m old fashioned, if a manager leaves Rangers then that’s it , thank them and move on .
Walter Smith and Jock Wallace?

Had to be close to it surely, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen them that’s for sure. Either way 4 points was actually shite given their slip ups, and indeed we just weren’t playing well in the league or in Europe. Not hard to understand why when you know the manager couldn’t be arsed being there most of the time and when he was there he was huffing and puffing and engineering a way out.
IIRC we couldn’t keep a clean sheet to save ourselves at the time and were consistently conceding first.

We were a shambles, and tbh, there was chat of folk wanting him gone before he left, that’s how poor we were.

We may have had a 4 point lead, but the football we were playing was horrific.

Last edited:
IIRC we couldn’t keep a clean sheet to save ourselves at the time and we’re consistently conceding first.

We were a shambles, and tbh, there was chat of folk wanting him gone before he left, that’s how poor we were.

We may have had a 4 point lead, but the football we were playing was horrific.
It was grim and we were worse in Europe.

Any decent, rational, clear of thinking Rangers fan would wish Gerrard nothing but the best. And hope he succeeds.

People sticking it into him clearly have issues. Or should %^*& off back to the Huddleboard.

Hes under a bit of pressure. But Villa would do well to remember it took him 3 years to put together a Rangers team that delivered arguably our greatest ever season.

Ive took zero interest since his move to Villa as seeing him in other colours is a hard pill to swallow. But thats life. Thats football. Taking delight at him struggling? %^*& off

So many posts complaining about people 'revelling' in Gerrard's misfortune at Villa, I've barely seen any of that tbh. It's mostly folk in here pointing out the obvious, that he's doing a shit job there and it was shitty job for him to take in a footballing sense. That's just stating a fact at this point.

You can appreciate the job Gerrard did for us, while also pointing out he's made an absolute arse of his time Aston Villa so far. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Some people will be revelling in it, and that's there prerogative but the vast majority of people are either not bothered with his plight or have a degree of sympathy for him.

Why don’t you just tell me what their pitiful start was? If you remove the first old firm game of the season from the equation then they’d have 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats from their first 12 games. I’ve no idea how that could ever be described as pitiful.

The whole reason the old firm thrashings was brought up was because you said any semi competent manager could’ve put an end to the old firm thrashing which is something Gerrard did then Gio got thrashed in his first one. You can’t have it both ways.
They took 10 points from their first 7 games. Why are you asking daft questions here?

And I believe the point was a decent manager could put an end to regular OF tankings. Any manager can lose one game heavily, Advocaat lost a couple. But carry on pretending otherwise.

So many posts complaining about people 'revelling' in Gerrard's misfortune at Villa, I've barely seen any of that tbh. It's mostly folk in here pointing out the obvious, that he's doing a shit job there and it was shitty job for him to take in a footballing sense. That's just stating a fact at this point.

You can appreciate the job Gerrard did for us, while also pointing out he's made an absolute arse of his time Aston Villa so far. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Some people will be revelling in it, and that's there prerogative but the vast majority of people are either not bothered with his plight or have a degree of sympathy for him.
That’s because there’s not. These guys just make any old shite up. I might wind one or two cucks up but I personally have no hunger to see him fail. That being said I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him either.

Last edited:
Any decent, rational, clear of thinking Rangers fan would wish Gerrard nothing but the best. And hope he succeeds.

People sticking it into him clearly have issues. Or should %^*& off back to the Huddleboard.

Hes under a bit of pressure. But Villa would do well to remember it took him 3 years to put together a Rangers team that delivered arguably our greatest ever season.

Ive took zero interest since his move to Villa as seeing him in other colours is a hard pill to swallow. But thats life. Thats football. Taking delight at him struggling? %^*& off
Absolute nonsense!

That’s because there’s not. These guys just make any old shite up. I might wind one or two cucks up but I personally have no hunger to see him fail. That being said I don’t the least bit sorry for him either.

I'm much the same as you on it mate. We were always going to take an interest in how does down there, even if it was purely a passing one. Being critical of his short comings down there, doesn't erase what he achieved with us, but it does highlight how poor his decision was in hindsight. I always held the belief he was nowhere near that level of manager yet, he was still making mistakes up here with us and that was even after winning us the title in unprecedented manner.

Are you 5?

He was half arsing it and even players raised concerns about his lack of enthusiasm for it in that final season. And you may have a fondness for Rangers, but let’s be honest you’re not a born and bred Rangers fan.
So do you remember how a rookie manager came in and gave us our respectability back in Europe and made us champions.

So do you remember how a rookie manager came in and gave us our respectability back in Europe and made us champions.
What has that got to do with his conduct during his final season? Jesus suffering %^*& you are either at the wind up or you’ve got much bigger problems that your man’s failings at Villa.

Unless they get beat 9-0 by Man City or thereabouts it will be the Leicester and Southampton games that decide his fate.

Remembering what a person did for you and respecting them memory after theyve moved on is hardly obsession.

Wanting that person to do poorly or rewriting their contributions after theyve left is another story.
You’d think he died ffs. He left us high and dry for another team. Most of the rewriting is being done by those who’re clearly still dazzled by his name

Remembering what a person did for you and respecting them memory after theyve moved on is hardly obsession.

Wanting that person to do poorly or rewriting their contributions after theyve left is another story.
Repeating the same points in response to every comment is obsession.
I totally remember what Gerard did for the club and respect him and thank him for it.
I do not agree that he wasn’t backed by the board and nor do I agree that the 55 season was our greatest ever or that Gerrard can be regarded as our greatest ever manager.
I also think he has struggled at Villa and is unlikely to be there much longer.
Based on what I see there I think he made a huge mistake going there and it will damage his career.
Do any of these opinions mean that I want Gerrard to do poorly or that I am rewriting history? Of course not!

Gerrard did a superb job for us - up to a point.

He took the club by the scruff of the neck when he arrived and transformed it, very quickly, from an embarrassing shambles into a professional outfit. Very impressive for a rookie, but he obviously used his experience from his Liverpool days as the template.

He then oversaw gradual improvement domestically and much more impressive improvement in Europe. The truncated Covid season was a blessing, we were garbage and he didn’t have a clue how to fix it but he used the hiatus to work it out and then deliver the 55 season.

That’s the good. The not so good was our lamentable cup record, the failure to beat a very ordinary Malmö side, his complete inability to make effective substitutions or tactical changes during matches and the start to last season - we were absolute garbage and were very fortunate to be 4 points clear of a filth side faring very badly at that point under Fat Flange. Our form was consistently poor and it was only a matter of time before that was going to bite us in the ass. His timing of leaving, the shitshow of a club he left us for and the fact that he almost certainly lied about the events that led to his departure are also black marks against him.

Overall, he was very good for us but I can’t help thinking that he’d reached his limit. The Leverkusen & Slavis Prague EL defeats and the Malmö disaster makes me think that he was a good enough manager against medium/ mediocre opposition but he would always be found out when up against shrewd operators.

Not a legend in my eyes but someone who deserves our thanks and gratitude for the work he did here. As for his current situation, the EPL is light years ahead of the SPL in terms of quality (players and management) so he was always bound to struggle unless he could show another quantum leap forward in his managerial/tactical abilities. I don’t want him to fail but, after the way he left us, I have no sympathy for him either. I hope he’s still there when AV play Leicester and beat them 5-0 to get the tranny-shagger the boot.

Repeating the same points in response to every comment is obsession.
I totally remember what Gerard did for the club and respect him and thank him for it.
I do not agree that he wasn’t backed by the board and nor do I agree that the 55 season was our greatest ever or that Gerrard can be regarded as our greatest ever manager.
I also think he has struggled at Villa and is unlikely to be there much longer.
Based on what I see there I think he made a huge mistake going there and it will damage his career.
Do any of these opinions mean that I want Gerrard to do poorly or that I am rewriting history? Of course not!
He'll do well to get a result today. I think some are pissed off in how he left which has tarnished his achievements somewhat and to be fair the way he left wasn't great but his achievements here will be looked on fondly in time. He'll know he made a huge mistake going to Villa and it'll maybe be good experience in learning if he wishes to continue his development and go on to be successful manager.

“any semi competent manager could’ve stopped the old firm thrashings”
Hopefully we get a semi competent manager soon, if he gets sacked at Villa I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Would any semi competent manager achieve an undefeated season our longest unbeaten run against Celtic and an undefeated season. I suspect all the happy clappers will now be really quiet.

Hopefully we get a semi competent manager soon, if he gets sacked at Villa I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Would any semi competent manager achieve an undefeated season our longest unbeaten run against Celtic and an undefeated season. I suspect all the happy clappers will now be really quiet.
We only had one undefeated season and I don’t think gloating about todays result to make the same point yet again about Gerrard is befitting of a Rangers fan.

We only had one undefeated season and I don’t think gloating about todays result to make the same point yet again about Gerrard is befitting of a Rangers fan.
Sorry mate but the only gloating is those who wish him to be sacked at Villa. I'm just pointing out that results like today don't happen if Gerrard is our manager. Do you not agree?

We know you’d take him back. It will never happen though.

Sorry mate but the only gloating is those who wish him to be sacked at Villa. I'm just pointing out that results like today don't happen if Gerrard is our manager. Do you not agree?
What’s your take on him walking out on Rangers at a pivotal point in our season and the fact he was mailing it in for most of that season, you deflect this question and your on a ban.

What’s your take on him walking out on Rangers at a pivotal point in our season and the fact he was mailing it in for most of that season, you deflect this question and your on a ban.
He made a massive mistake doing that however that situation doesn't develop if our board had backed him after winning 55

The final whistle hadn’t even gone and you were posting that Gio was incompetent and Gerrard should be brought back. That’s gloating.
As for whether results like that would happen under Gerrard the same logic would say that we wouldn’t get to Champions League group stages or Euro finals or even win the Scottish cup under Gerrard
All hypothetical unknowns

Five old firm games for Gio now without a win in 90 minutes.

He’s probably conceded more goals in those 5 games than Gerrard did in his three years worth of old firm games.

The final whistle hadn’t even gone and you were posting that Gio was incompetent and Gerrard should be brought back. That’s gloating.
As for whether results like that would happen under Gerrard the same logic would say that we wouldn’t get to Champions League group stages or Euro finals or even win the Scottish cup under Gerrard
All hypothetical unknowns

We might WIN THE LEAGUE though.

Just realised I wrote that twice ffs. We did only have one undefeated season apologies m8

Serious question- are you a Rangers fan?
Dear me I don't have this madness to hope Gerrard fails the way some on here have. I have the upmost respect for Gerrard's role managing us particularly from where we were as a club to where he took us. I can assure you my team is Rangers.

And that means mailing it in is acceptable?
Just noticed this and I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by mailing it in. If that means he posted in his intention to leave rather than face to face then that's poor by him in my opinion.

Dear me I don't have this madness to hope Gerrard fails the way some on here have. I have the upmost respect for Gerrard's role managing us particularly from where we were as a club to where he took us. I can assure you my team is Rangers.
So why as we lose to our biggest rivals and before the game is even finished is your first reaction to post about the manager of another club in another league?

The ARE clear thinking Rangers fans who clearly disagree with you and you can count me as one

Just noticed this and I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by mailing it in. If that means he posted in his intention to leave rather than face to face then that's poor by him in my opinion.
No I mean he sat in his house in Liverpool most of the time letting others (Beale and culshaw) take training.

So why as we lose to our biggest rivals and before the game is even finished is your first reaction to post about the manager of another club in another league?
Because I've read and answered all the posts that are taking some sort of solace that Gerrard made a mistake going to Villa rather than looking at the bigger picture where Gerrard wasn't backed by the board, Gio wasn't backed and we're yet again suffering humiliation after humiliation going to our rivals.

No I mean he sat in his house in Liverpool most of the time letting others (Beale and culshaw) take training.
If that's true then the individuals mentioned should take a great deal of credit returning us to champions however for the amount of work that must've been done throughout the club surely has to be credited to Gerrard.

Back