Gerrard since joining Villa

What happened was he started feeling sorry for himself after not having more to spend and his head went.

Completely reasonable to expect backing but maybe try selling players or getting past Malmö before blaming others.

It was an understandable concern handled poorly and Gio’s positive approach has kickstarted a much healthier era at the club that much is clear.
Gio is 11 months into his contract. Gerrard was here 3 years. Therefore stop reading into “positive approaches” etc. Gerrard’s approach within his first 3 years was rather positive id say. Stop rewriting history. He had a bad couple of end months, i suspect the club did too. The only difference is Douglas park doesn’t do a press conference every week.

Just because someone else might have done it shouldn’t be a reason for talking the job Gerrard did down.
Gerrard did a phenomenal job, that really shouldn’t be up for dispute.

Even in his first season he reduced the gap between us and them to single figures, beating them twice in the process and took us into the Europa League group stages from the first qualifying round.

This after being routinely humiliated by four and five goals by The Filth whilst watching them rack up treble after treble.

For him to then win 55 unbeaten with a record points margin was one of the top three or four greatest achievements in my entire half century supporting the club.

Nobody should ever be talking down what he did for us, but . . . it’s also okay to admit that, certainly in a European context, Gio has taken it onto a whole new level and tactically at least looks far more astute.

Both men have already written themselves large into our history books and that’s a testament to the board for making the decisions they did.

He left us sitting 4 points clear at the top of the league, in the EL group stages for the 4th consecutive season and in the semi final of the league cup.
The semi final of a league cup? Christ, what an achievement, I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of that. By the way we were heading out of the Europa League as he left it, we weren’t very good. And 4 points ahead of a scum side that had a truly catastrophic start is nothing to be proud of. You’re doing some serious turd polishing here, the reality is he spent less and less time here, huffed and puffed, had us eliminated in a CL qualifier to a rather mediocre Swedish outfit with 10 men, lied to the fans then snuck out the back door.

And as for the previous post, I think he did a good job over the piece, I just don’t think he was working miracles as many choose to believe. And regardless of what you say, the state of the two previous coaches is completely relevant when looking at how much progress we’d made, because of the reasons I’ve spread given, i.e. that any semi competent manager would when also made a lot of progress given the absolute ineptitude of the previous managers. The level of progress would be diluted if we hadn’t had two jokers in charge previously.

Even in his first season he reduced the gap between us and them to single figures, beating them twice in the process and took us into the Europa League group stages from the first qualifying round.

This after being routinely humiliated by four and five goals by The Filth whilst watching them rack up treble after treble.

For him to then win 55 unbeaten with a record points margin was one of the top three or four greatest achievements in my entire half century supporting the club.

Nobody should ever be talking down what he did for us, but . . . it’s also okay to admit that, certainly in a European context, Gio has taken it onto a whole new level and tactically at least looks far more astute.

Both men have already written themselves large into our history books and that’s a testament to the board for making the decisions they did.

Gerrard did have his issues and his cup record in his second and third season should’ve been better.

Gio may have taken us to a new level in a European context but he’s still very unproven IMO at a domestic level.

The semi final of a league cup? Christ, what an achievement, I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of that. By the way we were heading out of the Europa League as he left it, we weren’t very good. And 4 points ahead of a scum side that had a truly catastrophic start is nothing to be proud of. You’re doing some serious turd polishing here, the reality is he spent less and less time here, huffed and puffed, had us eliminated in a CL qualifier to a rather mediocre Swedish outfit with 10 men, lied to the fans then snuck out the back door.

And as for the previous post, I think he did a good job over the piece, I just don’t think he was working miracles as many choose to believe. And regardless of what you say, the state of the two previous coaches is completely relevant when looking at how much progress we’d made, because of the reasons I’ve spread given, i.e. that any semi competent manager would when also made a lot of progress given the absolute ineptitude of the previous managers. The level of progress would be diluted if we hadn’t had two jokers in charge previously.

The league cup comment wasn’t a boast, it was more just stating that he’d left us in almost the best position he could’ve at the time.

Heading out the Europa is your opinion too. I’m more than confident that Gerrard could’ve beaten Sparta 2-0 at home to qualify from the group.

He’s probably the only manager that seems to get criticism for being top of the league too.

Gerrard took a team that were losing 5-0 to Celtic and drawing 5-5 with Hibs and had us drawing 2-2 away at Villarreal 3 months later. The idea that’s not miracle working is crazy.

I’ve no idea why so many feel the need to talk Gerrard and his time here down all the time. It baffles me.

Gio is 11 months into his contract. Gerrard was here 3 years. Therefore stop reading into “positive approaches” etc. Gerrard’s approach within his first 3 years was rather positive id say. Stop rewriting history. He had a bad couple of end months, i suspect the club did too. The only difference is Douglas park doesn’t do a press conference every week.
You can only compare the season they both managed the club

The difference in what they seen and could get out of the squad is why it was right for us to be glad to let him go

We needed investment but was it enough to chuck the towel in and bolt? Not a chance

Fans tend to ignore wages too and only look at transfer fees. Lundstram is on a huge wage, he was signed pre Malmö disaster.
Am I right in thinking wages is the big thing where FFP is concerned?

Given £20m sales, European finals and CL qualification are never guaranteed revenues, wages are probably a bigger factor than we think.

The league cup comment wasn’t a boast, it was more just stating that he’d left us in almost the best position he could’ve at the time.

Heading out the Europa is your opinion too. I’m more than confident that Gerrard could’ve beaten Sparta 2-0 at home to qualify from the group.

He’s probably the only manager that seems to get criticism for being top of the league too.

Gerrard took a team that were losing 5-0 to Celtic and drawing 5-5 with Hibs and had us drawing 2-2 away at Villarreal 3 months later. The idea that’s not miracle working is crazy.

I’ve no idea why so many feel the need to talk Gerrard and his time here down all the time. It baffles me.
Do you want me to just repeat what I said again? Because that’s all I feel I can do.

4 points clear isn’t much of an achievement because Celtic had an utterly horrendous start, a start so bad many were already predicting their manager would be gone by Christmas. You can’t just ignore the context here, they were horrendous, but we were spilling careless points too hence our lead wasn’t much at all.

Like I said, he did a great job pulling us up, but I’d expect any semi decent manager to have immediately put a stop to us getting thrashed in OF games, that was all down to the absolute ineptitude of previous managers and their choice of players, none of whom had any business being anywhere near the Rangers manager’s job.

When people try and talk up being a meagre 4 points ahead of a Celtic team who were in crisis, then of course I’m going to talk that down, because it’s a complete misrepresentation of where we were that season performance wise if you just ignore their form. As for the rest, well again, Malmö, huffing and puffing, snide comments in interview, lying to the fans, taking his coaching team and pissing off immediately before a cup semi final and big euro game.

I’m really at a loss as to why some can’t grasp why this is an issue for some fans, in the same way I can’t grasp why some aren’t impressed with being 4 points clear of a Celtic side that was suffering the worst start to a season I’ve ever seen them have. By all means talk up Gerrard’s euro record, at least that’s worthy of all the praise, but spare us the “he left us 4 points clear at the top” chat because it wasn’t impressive.

In my opinion Steven is toast if they get a doing of Man City tomorrow. It pains me to say that, I hoped he’d tear it up down there but that just hasn’t happened for him. Real shame (not sarcastic)

Do you want me to just repeat what I said again? Because that’s all I feel I can do.

4 points clear isn’t much of an achievement because Celtic had an utterly horrendous start, a start so bad many were already predicting their manager would be gone by Christmas. You can’t just ignore the context here, they were horrendous, but we were spilling careless points too hence our lead wasn’t much at all.

Like I said, he did a great job pulling us up, but I’d expect any semi decent manager to have immediately put a stop to us getting thrashed in OF games, that was all down to the absolute ineptitude of previous managers and their choice of players, none of whom had any business being anywhere near the Rangers manager’s job.

When people try and talk up being a meagre 4 points ahead of a Celtic team who were in crisis, then of course I’m going to talk that down, because it’s a complete misrepresentation of where we were that season performance wise if you just ignore their form. As for the rest, well again, Malmö, huffing and puffing, snide comments in interview, lying to the fans, taking his coaching team and pissing off immediately before a cup semi final and big euro game.

I’m really at a loss as to why some can’t grasp why this is an issue for some fans, in the same way I can’t grasp why some aren’t impressed with being 4 points clear of a Celtic side that was suffering the worst start to a season I’ve ever seen them have. By all means talk up Gerrard’s euro record, at least that’s worthy of all the praise, but spare us the “he left us 4 points clear at the top” chat because it wasn’t impressive.
Was it not Celtics worst start to a league season in their history? Or there abouts anyway.

Because his loyalties lie with Gerrard and he wants to pretend he left because of the board (and not because we were only ever a vehicle for him to use to get a PL gig) and he’s prepared to die on that hill, even if it means using huge amounts of conjecture and knowing very little; completely disrespecting the board in the process. Guy doesn’t deserve the rescue job the board done, but then Rangers are clearly far down his list of priorities anyway so that shouldn’t be a surprise.

Might be worth reminding anyone just tuning in now that this joker says Gerrard may arguably go down as our greatest ever manager. That’s the extreme level of fanboyism and obsession we’re dealing with here. You’d think at some point he’d stop and question why so many people think he’s cuckoo and borderline creepy when it comes to this SG imagining.

But to suggest Gio hasn’t been backed when we’ve just spent good money bringing in Davies, Yilmaz, Matondo, Lawrence, Tillman, Colak and Souttar (before CL qualification), is such a slap in the face to the board, even more so when no one knows if attempts were made to get more players in for Gio and it just wasn’t possible. Pathetic stuff from entitled brats in general today. Like I said, some people aren’t interested in the practicalities of running a club, football transfers or value for money, they just want the credit card maxed out so they can feel the excitement of having shiny new toys.
You still here complimenting me, I'm flattered.

Don't wish him any ill fortune with villa. Couldn't give a flying fxck about them as a club.

Will always cherish the invincible 55, one of our greatest league wins but will always feel let down by his comments of "I've been grabbed by this club", "the cup thing doesn't sit right" and "can't wait to take this team into the champions League"....5 months later he was gone.

Good luck Stevie.

Was it not Celtics worst start to a league season in their history? Or there abouts anyway.
Had to be close to it surely, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen them that’s for sure. Either way 4 points was actually shite given their slip ups, and indeed we just weren’t playing well in the league or in Europe. Not hard to understand why when you know the manager couldn’t be arsed being there most of the time and when he was there he was huffing and puffing and engineering a way out.

No. It was overstated in much the same way when Gerrard won only 1 of his first 4 league games when he arrived and the media claimed he was worse than Pedro.

In 93/94 they only won 2 out of their first 10 league games

98/99 they only won 3 of their first 10.

I’m not really ignoring the context though. Neither our record or the mentally challengeds record was particularly bad by the time Gerrard left. We had 9 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat in 13 games which is a pretty standard start to the season. We were well on course for 90+ points which normally wins the league.

If any competent manager can put an end to old firm thrashings then you’ll struggle to explain Gio’s first old firm experience then.

If things were as bad under Gerrard as you say then I don’t understand why you’d be bitter about his departure, I’d have thought you’d have been delighted about it.

I think the mistake Gerrard has made is underestimating the egos of run of the mill EPL players these days. At Rangers he rightly commanded instant respect and the players were desperate not to let him down and knew he and they were at a club that demanded to win.

He’s gone down there expecting the same from underachieving Villa players, but has found that a lot of them already think they’ve made it in the game just by playing in the EPL.

That would frustrate the life out of Gerrard as it’s completely alien to how he thinks, something many predicted would happen.

Rangers stuck in the SPFL may not have the finance to buy elite level players, but we suited Gerard's mentality far more than any mid table Premiership side.

Possibly the first 2/3 weeks but by the time Gerrard left their record wasn’t even that bad.

They had 8 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats from their first 13 games.

I think the mistake Gerrard has made is underestimating the egos of run of the mill EPL players these days. At Rangers he rightly commanded instant respect and the players were desperate not to let him down and knew he and they were at a club that demanded to win.

He’s gone down there expecting the same from underachieving Villa players, but has found that a lot of them already think they’ve made it in the game just by playing in the EPL.

That would frustrate the life out of Gerrard as it’s completely alien to how he thinks, something many predicted would happen.

Rangers stuck in the SPFL may not have the finance to buy elite level players, but we suited Gerard's mentality far more than any mid table Premiership side.

The fact he changed his captain from Mings to (whatever you think of him) McGinn who gives 100% every week spoke volumes.

Said it from the day he moved down there that it would bore the absolute arse off him at a club like them. I get what his end game was but that is a serious amount of suffering he would need to go through to even get near his dream job.

He's a million miles further away from his dream job than he ever was with us.

I give it 18 months and he'll be telling BT as a pundit post match after one EPL game that he made a mistake leaving us.

You can only compare the season they both managed the club

The difference in what they seen and could get out of the squad is why it was right for us to be glad to let him go

We needed investment but was it enough to chuck the towel in and bolt? Not a chance
No you can’t . Your comparing a managers end of tenure after 4 years at a club to a managers first 10 months. In 3 years time if Gio is still here he might be like that. He eventually stood down from Feyenoord, bet his outlook was super positive then, eh?

The fact he changed his captain from Mings to (whatever you think of him) McGinn who gives 100% every week spoke volumes.

Said it from the day he moved down there that it would bore the absolute arse off him at a club like them. I get what his end game was but that is a serious amount of suffering he would need to go through to even get near his dream job.

He's a million miles further away from his dream job than he ever was with us.

I give it 18 months and he'll be telling BT as a pundit post match after one EPL game that he made a mistake leaving us.

I think the media aspect has been a rude awakening as well. The way he could bat journalists out of hand up here doesn't really work down there. Especially when you have a support on their side, rather than yours.

1:30 here was a weird one. Says he "hasnt used that word," then immediately back tracks. There is no chance he gets caught out similarly in Scotland.

If Gio has a great season (league title and a Euro run), we could easily be fielding an approach next Summer.

There's a limited shelf-life for any ambitious player/manager in Scotland. Gerrard came to the end of his.

I think he did a terrific job that was about more than what happened on the field.

I’m not really ignoring the context though. Neither our record or the mentally challengeds record was particularly bad by the time Gerrard left. We had 9 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat in 13 games which is a pretty standard start to the season. We were well on course for 90+ points which normally wins the league.

If any competent manager can put an end to old firm thrashings then you’ll struggle to explain Gio’s first old firm experience then.

If things were as bad under Gerrard as you say then I don’t understand why you’d be bitter about his departure, I’d have thought you’d have been delighted about it.
You are ignoring it though, in fact you’re taking the piss here a bit. They had a horrendous start to the season. I’m not interested in how they were doing when he actually left, I am interested in how we failed to take full advantage of their truly pitiful start.

Sorry I must have missed Gio taking repeated doings off Celtic too. I do remember him beating them at Hampden to get to a cup final which was a real struggle for his predecessor.

And wouldn’t have been overly gutted at Gerrard departing if he’d done it at the start of the season. But I mean why wouldn’t I be pissed off given the timing and his lying to the support (which I’ve already noted). Sorry but I think you’re doing your usual and arguing for arguing’s sake here, because these attempts at countering are rather flimsy mate.

Had to be close to it surely, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen them that’s for sure. Either way 4 points was actually shite given their slip ups, and indeed we just weren’t playing well in the league or in Europe. Not hard to understand why when you know the manager couldn’t be arsed being there most of the time and when he was there he was huffing and puffing and engineering a way out.

Where's this coming from?

I think the media aspect has been a rude awakening as well. The way he could bat journalists out of hand up here doesn't really work down there. Especially when you have a support on their side, rather than yours.

1:30 here was a weird one. Says he "hasnt used that word," then immediately back tracks. There is no chance he gets caught out similarly in Scotland.

There was a game last season post match where he was absolutely rattled by Des Kelly on BT and seemed to melt down.

Would never have happened up here.

You are ignoring it though, in fact you’re taking the piss here a bit. They had a horrendous start to the season. I’m not interested in how they were doing when he actually left, I am interested in how we failed to take full advantage of their truly pitiful start.

Sorry I must have missed Gio taking repeated doings off Celtic too. I do remember him beating them at Hampden to get to a cup final which was a real struggle for his predecessor.

And wouldn’t have been overly gutted at Gerrard departing if he’d done it at the start of the season. But I mean why wouldn’t I be pissed off given the timing and his lying to the support (which I’ve already noted). Sorry but I think you’re doing your usual and arguing for arguing’s sake here, because these attempts at countering are rather flimsy mate.

What was so pitiful about their start?

Did you really not see Gio’s first old firm game at Parkhead in February?

I can understand why people are annoyed with how it ended but the constant need to talk down his record when he was here and take pleasure in his current struggles just doesn’t sit right with me.

What was so pitiful about their start?

Did you really not see Gio’s first old firm game at Parkhead in February?

I can understand why people are annoyed with how it ended but the constant need to talk down his record when he was here and take pleasure in his current struggles just doesn’t sit right with me.
LOL, what’s the point if you’re asking daft questions like that or likening Gio getting beat 3-0 in an OF to regular 4 and 5 nil humping.

That’s fine by the way, but his application in his final season didn’t sit right with me, and seeing some of the conjecture and mythical nonsense on this thread similarly doesn’t sit right with me.

He looks really uncomfortable there.

LOL, what’s the point if you’re asking daft questions like that or likening Gio getting beat 3-0 in an OF to regular 4 and 5 nil humping.

That’s fine by the way, but his application in his final season didn’t sit right with me, and seeing some of the conjecture and mythical nonsense on this thread similarly doesn’t sit right with me.

Why don’t you just tell me what their pitiful start was? If you remove the first old firm game of the season from the equation then they’d have 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats from their first 12 games. I’ve no idea how that could ever be described as pitiful.

The whole reason the old firm thrashings was brought up was because you said any semi competent manager could’ve put an end to the old firm thrashing which is something Gerrard did then Gio got thrashed in his first one. You can’t have it both ways.

If Gio has a great season (league title and a Euro run), we could easily be fielding an approach next Summer.

There's a limited shelf-life for any ambitious player/manager in Scotland. Gerrard came to the end of his.

I think he did a terrific job that was about more than what happened on the field.
Gerrard should have backed up his work mate , his ultimate ambition is to manage Liverpool not villa , retaining the title & winning a cup would have kept his upward momentum.

The fact his replacement done Europe wise what Gerrard said couldn’t happen is another negative for him.

The cold way he left us , actually had me not wanting him to succeed at villa , but a part of me will always love him , I’d take him back for old firm games , he’d learned a healthy contempt for septic.

Far too sensible a post in here,you need banned. :cool: .
WATP

It came from inside the club. As a Rangers fan I’m far more likely to know about this stuff than you are. No ones taking your input seriously on this subject matter, your credibility went out the window about 50 pages ago.
As a Rangers fan allegedly you'll remember we were so far behind Celtic that even Derek McInnes a boyhood Rangers fan knocked back the managers job likely because we were so far behind a Celtic team that were winning title after title, we then turned our attention to a rookie manager who's only experience was managing an under 18 team. That rookie manager came in improving us season after season whilst restoring our respect in European football and raising millions of pounds in the process. All this accumulated in him winning us our 55th title with an invincible league season reaching our greatest ever points total of 102 points. That season we were performing so well that our rivals fans were attacking their own players. The season was so relentless that it resulted in our rivals captain, manager and chairman all leaving. You may remember the celebrations they were so joyous that it caused complete meltdown with Scottish politicians. Please tell me you didn't miss all this as it was awesome.

It came from inside the club. As a Rangers fan I’m far more likely to know about this stuff than you are. No ones taking your input seriously on this subject matter, your credibility went out the window about 50 pages ago.
Really think you need to go out get your hole instead of constantly being on here arguing and trying to belittle people.

Will do you good.

No. It was overstated in much the same way when Gerrard won only 1 of his first 4 league games when he arrived and the media claimed he was worse than Pedro.

In 93/94 they only won 2 out of their first 10 league games

98/99 they only won 3 of their first 10.
After checking the reports were “worst start in 23 years”

Gerrard should have backed up his work mate , his ultimate ambition is to manage Liverpool not villa , retaining the title & winning a cup would have kept his upward momentum.

The fact his replacement done Europe wise what Gerrard said couldn’t happen is another negative for him.

The cold way he left us , actually had me not wanting him to succeed at villa , but a part of me will always love him , I’d take him back for old firm games , he’d learned a healthy contempt for septic.

We were on the Ibrox tour a couple of weeks ago. The guide made a few side-remarks about Gerrard.

Not sure if it was just his personal opinion, but he made it sound as things just weren't right in and around the club.

It’s utter garbage mate so no idea who your source inside the club is. I’d suggest they are not very reliable though.

We were on the Ibrox tour a couple of weeks ago. The guide made a few side-remarks about Gerrard.

Not sure if it was just his personal opinion, but he made it sound as things just weren't right in and around the club.
That happens every day in working life, such and such is/was an arsehole. Too many other he/she was well liked.

That is a top post, excellent work.

Which doesn’t mean as much as you’d think given the important detail of him taking over from potentially the 2 worst managers we’ve ever had. Even a wet wipe like Derek McInnes would have taken a fair bit further forward from where we were when Murty finally finished up.
Come on tae christ pirlo, you can’t bring Mcinnes into play in anyway shape or form

Back