Gerrard

I don't see him succeeding with Aston Villa the honeymoon period has already worn off and it's been a very predictable outcome so far.

Expect the same style of football and tactics with a heavy transfer spend this summer and it will be barely mid table for them next season.

Also if Beale moves on that could prove a disaster for Gerrard as we all know Beale was the brains behind everything from the set up to tactics.

Bit unfair when he built the team and enjoyed the majority of our European success.

I stated that in my comment that he was a huge part of why we made the final. Doesn't change the fact things had gone stale under him and we likely wouldn't have made Seville.

Gerrard is too rigid and struggles to change games if his plan doesn't work. That said I think it's only fair to judge him at Villa after he's had a summer transfer window, but he will need to show that there is upwards movement. I don't know what success looks like at Villa. 10th? 6th and a cup?

The guy also won't get the time he was given at Ibrox because the club will shit it if it even looks remotely likely that relegation is a possibility.
I’d imagine the loose trajectory expected of him when he took over would have looked something like this:

1st season - top half finish, as high up the table as possible; do well in the FA cup

2nd season - push for European place; win a cup.

3rd season - push for Champions League spot; good run in Europe.

Remember, this is a club whose owners are pumping in bucket loads of cash. They have ambition and Gerrard has convinced them he’s the man to deliver.

As you say, he won’t be given the same time to succeed at Villa that he had at Ibrox if it doesn’t look to be on schedule.

I was angry and disappointed the way he left us. He cost us the league cup.

However I don’t think he would have taken us to the Europa league final had he stayed. The league? I don’t know how that would have worked out but I’m happy with gio now and think we will go on to greater things under him

He hasn’t even had a summer transfer window yet. Don’t know why so many are so quick to write him off.

I was angry and disappointed the way he left us. He cost us the league cup.

However I don’t think he would have taken us to the Europa league final had he stayed. The league? I don’t know how that would have worked out but I’m happy with gio now and think we will go on to greater things under him
He never changed the system or tweaked things we would never have got past Dortmund under Gerrard imo.

GVB can change personal and tactics relatively quickly in games that never happened under Gerrard it was 4-3-3 or bust.

At least with GVB now we have different ideas and tactics hopefully with the right signings this summer this will push us on.

Appreciate everything Gerrard did for the club because i'm not sure any of the other managers we were linked with had the drive and personality that was required for the mess he inherited but it feels like he chucked it when the board told him no. Not like he left us for his dream job in Liverpool, he left us for a bottom half premier league club who are going to spend the kind of money that puts him under immediate pressure to not finish anywhere near the 14th place they finished this season. I hope for his sake it goes well for him because i would hate to see him go back to doing bt punditry when he brought us back to this level and gave us some brilliant memories.

With that being said the last couple of days have made me ponder if Gerrard is weak tactically, or at least compared to his ability to motivate players and being the figurehead of a project that can attract quality players to the club that otherwise may not have joined. Gio inherited Gerrard's team and in the six months he has been back at the club has already eclipsed Gerrard's achievements in two of the three competitions he has competed for. The changes he's made in games being the difference between being europa league finalists as well as cup winners and going out far earlier and ones you couldn't see Gerrard making. Certainly an area he could improve on as a manager.

Yes, we thank him for 55 but if he starts raiding our team he can forget the goodwill.
Villa have been mediocre to say the least and losing late goals in a game brought back uncomfortable memories
He can raid all he wants as far as I'm concerned - but only if he's prepared to pay the premium rate. We are going to lose players this Summer. I couldn't give a shit whether they go play for Gerrard, Klopp, Frank Lampard or Jesse Marsch - so long as we get their worth in exchange.

If you look at the upside v downside risk for Gerrard at Villa, you can see the move doesn't really make sense.

Appreciate Villa have money, but who doesnt in the EPL nowadays? To get anywhere near Europe he needs to beat the mainstays of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham.
West Ham are starting to establish themselves as a team again, Newcastle's chequebook is sizeably bigger, Leicester are experienced in top half finishes, and for the money Everton have spent, this year needs to be the outlier. Realistically how does he get noticed? The best of the rest for managers this year i would argue was Potter at Brighton... they finished 9th, having lost nearly a third of their games.

The managers getting spoken about for the top jobs just now are all playing in Europe, Villa wont get close. A slow start and all of a sudden he is damaged goods, trying to rebuild his career in the championship.

I’d imagine the loose trajectory expected of him when he took over would have looked something like this:

1st season - top half finish, as high up the table as possible; do well in the FA cup

2nd season - push for European place; win a cup.

3rd season - push for Champions League spot; good run in Europe.

Remember, this is a club whose owners are pumping in bucket loads of cash. They have ambition and Gerrard has convinced them he’s the man to deliver.

As you say, he won’t be given the same time to succeed at Villa that he had at Ibrox if it doesn’t look to be on schedule.
Qualify for the Champions League? At Villa?

Even winning a cup is highly unlikely tbh. This is the first season Liverpool have really took the cups seriously due to having a far greater squad than before.

If those are the things people expect him to do at Villa then he has no chance whatsoever of achieving them.

The fact that Gio has come in and taken us to a European final and Scottish cup win within 6 months and basically using Gerrard's squad will have the Villa fans asking mega questions about his abilities as a manager.

Villa only finished 10 points above relegation so there's going to be real pressure on SG next season.
Yes a total agree gio a total upgrade gio know how to win play euro s f and final without a striker Gerald could not do that

In his first presser for Villa, Gerrard admitted that European qualification was the benchmark that had been set during his recruitment process.

I always though that was a bit strange thing to say as the owners would surely hire an elite coach to crack something of that magnitude in the EPL.

I really don't think SG would've won us the title if he had stayed.

The rot had definitely set in at the start of the season and we were playing poorly right up till he left, just scraping results in the process.

Add the injury list that followed and the internationals and I think we would've seen similar end of season results.

If West Ham can qualify for Europe 2 years running with the sh*t show that Moyes inherited then its a reasonable assumption to make that is the benchmark for Gerrard.

Cups are a lottery in England given how strong Man City and Liverpool's squads are at present.

Next season will be interesting for him. He solidified their position this season, didn't get dragged into the relegation fight, there wasn't much else to do.

The problem now is that he's up against so many teams with top managers and huge budgets, as well as many with already significantly better squads.

I hold no ill towards Steven Gerrard. I obviously would have preferred he left at the end of a season rather than in the middle, but he wanted to go so there is no point in him staying.
I don't particularly care how he gets on with Villa. I think he's done ok, but he and the Villa support will want more next season.
Regardless of any tactical changes he made or not Villa should still have been able to see the game out at 2-0 up with less than 20 mins left. However, while he was with us, it did frustrate me at times that he seemed unable or was too stubborn to change things during a game.
He did great things for us but had his shortcomings as well, which people conveniently forget when it suits them, particularly when criticising Gio.

We wouldn’t have. Flip side, he’d have won the title imo
I don't think we would have, actually.

We'd already dropped 9 points before he left and we were really, really struggling in some games that we won.
  • St Johnstone Away, O'Halloran scores first and we huff and puff our way to a 2-1 win
  • Dundee Away, Aribo scores early and Cummings missed a penalty. He puts that in and we drop points because we were desperate that day
  • Hibs Home, Nisbet scores early and we are struggling, Porteous gets himself sent off and we use the man advantage late on to get two goals for a 2-1 win
  • St Mirren away, they score early and sit deep, we struggle to break them down before they give away a penalty at the end of the first half, shellshocked they concede a second within a minute and we go on to hold onto a 2-1 win.
We were riding our luck and in the games against Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee United and Aberdeen we got punished for it.

Noticed that someone earlier in the thread mentioned that if Gerrard’s move was to spend more time with his family, why didn’t his wife and family move to Scotland to be beside him. Suspect that there will be quite a lot of us who can well understand the reluctance of families moving to Scotland.

Qualify for the Champions League? At Villa?

Even winning a cup is highly unlikely tbh. This is the first season Liverpool have really took the cups seriously due to having a far greater squad than before.

If those are the things people expect him to do at Villa then he has no chance whatsoever of achieving them.
The guys in charge of Villa aren’t pumping in hundreds of millions and signing players like Coutinho just to exist at the level of someone like Wolves.

I’m pretty sure their ambition was one of the reasons Gerrard was attracted to the job (remember he was also linked with Newcastle so he isn’t looking for any old EPL gig).

If Leicester and West Ham can get themselves chapping on the door of Champions League football and reaching the latter stages of European competition then that is absolutely the ballpark Gerrard will be expected to have Villa operating in, IMO.

Which will not be easy, especially when the likes of Newcastle are about to throw obscene amounts of money at it too.

Noticed that someone earlier in the thread mentioned that if Gerrard’s move was to spend more time with his family, why didn’t his wife and family move to Scotland to be beside him. Suspect that there will be quite a lot of us who can well understand the reluctance of families moving to Scotland.
The wife didn't want to move to Scotland likewise even with Gerrard in Birmingham she won't move from Liverpool.

The guys in charge of Villa aren’t pumping in hundreds of millions and signing players like Coutinho just to exist at the level of someone like Wolves.

I’m pretty sure their ambition was one of the reasons Gerrard was attracted to the job (remember he was also linked with Newcastle so he isn’t looking for any old EPL gig).

If Leicester and West Ham can get themselves chapping on the door of Champions League football and reaching the latter stages of European competition then that is absolutely the ballpark Gerrard will be expected to have Villa operating in, IMO.

Which will not be easy, especially when the likes of Newcastle are about to throw obscene amounts of money at it too.
I think thats a bit unfair on Wolves given how well they have done since coming up and with managers who have no previous experience of the EPL either as a player or manager.....

Gerrard will need to hit the ground running next season even to finish top half.

Newcastle will spend, West Ham will spend, Arsenal will spend, Man Utd will spend, Everton may get their finger out a bit.

That's before you even look at the established top 4 who will no doubt strengthen.

Its going to take one mighty effort for Aston Villa to even get top ten let alone challenge for Europe.

I think at Villa he will kill his dreams of managing Liverpool, Klopp's new contract will also have been a hammer blow.
Until he tactically improves he won't get near the Liverpool job.

The next 2-3 years will be crucial if he can't do anything with Aston Villa with the money available I don't see Liverpool going for him.

The fact Beale is reportedly thinking of management elsewhere tells you a story.

I think thats a bit unfair on Wolves given how well they have done since coming up and with managers who have no previous experience of the EPL either as a player or manager.....

Gerrard will need to hit the ground running next season even to finish top half.

Newcastle will spend, West Ham will spend, Arsenal will spend, Man Utd will spend, Everton may get their finger out a bit.

That's before you even look at the established top 4 who will no doubt strengthen.

Its going to take one mighty effort for Aston Villa to even get top ten let alone challenge for Europe.
I don’t disagree with any of that, but whether people view it as unrealistic or unfair makes no difference - it’s highly unlikely those in charge of Villa are going to be satisfied with another mid table finish.

They have considerably more resources than Wolves so should be expected to perform better than them.

Until he tactically improves he won't get near the Liverpool job.

The next 2-3 years will be crucial if he can't do anything with Aston Villa with the money available I don't see Liverpool going for him.

The fact Beale is reportedly thinking of management elsewhere tells you a story.
Yes, Liverpool will have good options after Klopp with top managers wanting the job as well.

Nothing but respect for SG. Put us back on the European map. However he was always leaving when the first decent offer came in. Travelling up and down isn't 100% commitment.

Always find it odd people think managers at top clubs need to have a trophy filled CV at the top end of every competition, reality is, they don't

I would expect he would still be seen as strongly in contention for the Liverpool job if he just shows a pretty high level of competence at Villa

Always find it odd people think managers at top clubs need to have a trophy filled CV at the top end of every competition, reality is, they don't

I would expect he would still be seen as strongly in contention for the Liverpool job if he just shows a pretty high level of competence at Villa
Only so many trophies to go around after all. If Gerrard gets Villa top 8 it will be deemed 'success' for them. 6th and it would be classed as 'excellent'.

I don't think he needs to win a trophy(s) at Villa as such.

Liverpool will want to see improvement in players (assets) and improvement in league position while he is managing Villa.

That allied to the improvement he made with us domestically and in europe in particular and the increase in value of assets he signed for us should at least see him under consideration.

I don't think he needs to win a trophy(s) at Villa as such.

Liverpool will want to see improvement in players (assets) and improvement in league position while he is managing Villa.

That allied to the improvement he made with us domestically and in europe in particular and the increase in value of assets he signed for us should at least see him under consideration.
Liverpool will want a winner and unless Gerrard does that he will not be at Liverpool. I think they will have top managers wanting the job.

Not really bothered about him now. Will give him credit for 55, but he's very much in the past now.

As for his teams performance yesterday, no one expected Villa to win and so it was in the end, kind of sums Gerrard up and where he is now. He'll get the odd result here and there, but is he Liverpool's next manager, I find that very doubtful.

Back