Gerrard

We wouldn’t have been anywhere near that European final with him TBH
Possibly not, possibly so, we had been competing and beating some of the better sides in the Europa the years before, but the recruitment over the last few years has been a massive driver behind Europe this season as well as excellent coaching

We just spent the last few months singing about how a player signed while he was with us would win that trophy

Two, arguably could have been 3 (Goldson) players signed while he was with us made a European team of the tournament
Aribo was able to fill in as a makeshift forward

The recruitment in general while he was with us was outstanding and left a hell of a good squad for a manager to work with, it’s a massive part of a football clubs success

Be delighted if our recruitment stays at the same level TBH

He (Souness) walked out on Rangers when we were bang in a title race

Gerrard “derailed” us? He left in the middle of November and we didn’t drop points in the league after he left till the middle of January.
Souness won plenty silverware with us (unlike Gerrard) and with Walter in charge for those last 4 games it was pretty likely we were about to wrap up another league (which we did)

Stevie and the entire coaching team fecking off out the blue definitely derailed us. It took time for Gio to get to know the players and work out a system and implement his tactics and know what/who to trust. The dropped points due to this chaos is why we lost the league.

Although Liverpool is not a million miles from Glasgow, constantly doing that 6-7 hour round trip back and forth for a good few years takes its toll eventually, particularly with a fairly young family.

Personally, I think that was one of the key factors in his decision.
Whats the round trip to villa, theres not much in it.
What happens if he got the newcastle or say a London club .

Souness won plenty silverware with us (unlike Gerrard) and with Walter in charge for those last 4 games it was pretty likely we were about to wrap up another league (which we did)

Stevie and the entire coaching team fecking off out the blue definitely derailed us. It took time for Gio to get to know the players and work out a system and implement his tactics and know what/who to trust. The dropped points due to this chaos is why we lost the league.
At least we got 4.5 million quid.

Souness arrived and took a tank to a knife fight for f*ck sake

It was “pretty likely” that factored in the Motherwell result?

If Gerrard left thinking it was “pretty likely” we won this league does that then make him a Rangers man?

“Derailed us” again, we didn’t drop a point in the league for about 2 months, it came after a winter break.

It’s just gash criteria you’ve applied here that’s snookered you a bit TBH

Gerrard will get 6 months, if Villa are sitting 13th-16th next season Gerrard is out of a job. He won't get the time he got here because the finances are just too great in the EPL. He will get a decent budget to spend in the summer.

I say this not because I am bitter he left, I am over that. I think he will be out of work before next season ends. He won us the title and improved us in Europe but we kept falling short at certain levels because of team choice, tactics, lack of subs, wrong subs at the wrong times. What I have seen so far at Villa he is still making the same mistakes. He left us too early because he was still learning and he was nowhere near the finished article. I think he would've won us the league this year but I believe we would've went out against Dortmund and not won the Scottish Cup.

This will be unpopular and hard pill to swallow for most. He doesn't and won't ever regret leaving Rangers.

I dont believe that tbh. Look at the euro nights we had, the wins against the beggars. Big games, has he had anything like that with Villa. Hes the type that thrives on that and in that environment.

Souness arrived and took a tank to a knife fight for f*ck sake

It was “pretty likely” drawing at home to Hearts was factored into that?

If Gerrard left thinking it was “pretty likely” we won this league does that then make him a Rangers man?

“Derailed us” again, we didn’t drop a point in the league for about 2 months, it came after a winter break.

It’s just gash criteria you’ve applied here that’s snookered you a bit TBH
We have our own opinions, let's just leave it at that:shh:

He (Souness) walked out on Rangers when we were bang in a title race

Gerrard “derailed” us? He left in the middle of November and we didn’t drop points in the league after he left till the middle of January.
Souness wanted to stay till the end of the season, did he not? Did he not also refuse Liverpool at first?

I’ll always remember him fondly. He turned us from a laughing stock into a genuine force not just in Scotland but in Europe too. I have no bad feelings but I genuinely believe Gio is the better manager and will take us further than he could.

Souness wanted to stay till the end of the season, did he not? Did he not also refuse Liverpool at first?

Correct about wanting to stay. Ive always understood Souness going, he was their captain for years. If Gerrard had went there I would have understood, but Villa?

We have our own opinions, let's just leave it at that:shh:
I mean your opinion isn’t really evidence based TBH

“It took time for Gio to get to know the players and work out a system and implement his tactics and know what/who to trust. The dropped points due to this chaos is why we lost the league”

The “chaos” of an extended run of wins…

He did want to stay I was being flippant TBH, it still put a state of “chaos” is the word it seems, over us as we were heading to a title which apparently is a thing a Rangers man would never do.

He’ll spend big in the summer and will need to have Villa progressing come October / November. He’s a good manager and I hope he does well there. However it doesn’t take long for it to go wrong in the EPL.

Considering lack of available finance and options thereof, he took us back to a level that completely destroyed that lot in a ridiculously short period of time. Cups were disappointing, but as a team financially we were already over-extending ourselves. European performances too, were disproportionately excellent.

This has continued this season in Europe, to a level that comparatively moneywise is almost ridiculous. Naturally Gio took it further forward, but ignorance of what was already achieved is no excuse.

In real terms though, i think it's been grossly understated the importance of the infrastructure that the club has put in place. They've made it possible for us to bring in these players we are now talking about 25 million with. Not even just financially, but also providing a framework of support and facilities that have made that possible.

That infrastructure will make it possible for manager changes that means management won't have to worry about facilities or options for analysis and access to information, amongst other things. It's so easy to be short sighted about the impact that plays.

Back to Gerrard though, he'd run his race, quite simply because he wanted more.

Will he ever be employed by a club as big and with such collectivity of fans and club? I doubt it. But will he play in a league that really has significance for the rest of the world. Sadly, yes.

I wonder if Gerrrard will be in management in a few years time; I could see the realisation of it not being for him one day. Is he really a coach of any great note; I have my doubts if he is really a manager of any great note in the making. I wish him well though I don't respect how he left Rangers, but only because on reflection I would have preferred him to leave before the start of the season; I think him being here at the beginning of the season affected performances possibly, and may have been detrimnetal to much of our form at that time.

It's a job where the expectation is always going to be more than what is actually possible to achieve a lucky cup run is about the best they can get. I get the family reasons but he probably should of went abroad to a proper sleeping giant like a Roma, Lazio, Valencia ect unless you get a top four epl team the rest are all pretty similar and it's a bit of a battle

Possibly not, possibly so, we had been competing and beating some of the better sides in the Europa the years before, but the recruitment over the last few years has been a massive driver behind Europe this season as well as excellent coaching

We just spent the last few months singing about how a player signed while he was with us would win that trophy

Two, arguably could have been 3 (Goldson) players signed while he was with us made a European team of the tournament
Aribo was able to fill in as a makeshift forward

The recruitment in general while he was with us was outstanding and left a hell of a good squad for a manager to work with, it’s a massive part of a football clubs success

Be delighted if our recruitment stays at the same level TBH
It is the way Gio has utilised Lundstrum that went a huge way to getting us to Seville. Under Gerrard many wanted him sent back

Latterly under Gerrard Morelos goal scoring record was pretty poor. Like the proverbial new player under Gio (until injury)

Tav aside the players you mention and especially Bassey have improved under Gio

I genuinely think you could explain that Gerrard left to be closer to his family 100 times & folk on here still won’t understand.

The same with Goldson leaving as well, mental.

Goldson we dont know, its all rumour and speculation.

As for Gerrard, I think it is an excuse rather than a reason. If it was the reason he would have left in the summer.

Always felt as though the Gerrard / Beale set up would be found out quite quickly down there.

Too rigid and Gerrard is not capable of changing a game from the touchline or either subs.

You can't just go out game after game down there will the same set up and survive.

As I said in an earlier thread

Joined Villa who had 13pts from 12 games and in 15th place

He finished the league in 14th place with 45pts. So in 26 games and a possible 78pts his team managed to get 32pts. I understand it’s the EPL but that’s not a good return from the money spent and expectation of his coaching

It is the way Gio has utilised Lundstrum that went a huge way to getting us to Seville. Under Gerrard many wanted him sent back

Latterly under Gerrard Morelos goal scoring record was pretty poor. Like the proverbial new player under Gio (until injury)

Tav aside the players you mention and especially Bassey have improved under Gio

The spell of Lundstram under Gerrard was pretty limited TBH, he had been finding better form under him, the many wanting him sent back thing, a lot of it was very OTT based on early and limited knowledge. His performances over the season has shown a player that was clearly worth signing.

Morelos had scored in 3 of the last 6 league games Gerrard was in charge, he was starting to turn a corner with his goal return.

Bassey, Prague away aside had been looking the part from a pretty early stage this season, would his improvement have been what it was, unsure, still was a player recruited under Gerrard

These things can be flipped anyway, these are players (Morelos aside) Gerrard signed, as I said, if we keep recruiting to the same level I would be pretty happy with it

A guy that bleeds Liverpool red will always be suspect at Villa. Only a serious challenge for league success and entry to European football will cure any suspicions of divided loyalty. A tall order, not necessarily solved by money.

The Villa fans I work with think he’s a bit meh. If he doesn’t get off to a good start in the new season Idon’t think they will give him much leeway and the grumbling will start.
Hearts fans are slating Neilson, a manager who took them to a comfortable 3rd and a final. Supporters tend to be blinkered and have unrealistic expectations.

Apropos of nothing but it always annoyed me how much he talked about liverpool in press conferences and interviews like a fan. You are the manager of Rangers ffs.

That's not a good look to villa fans if he's getting huffy about liverpool not winning the league.

We were on the decline under Gerrard - he left us at a similar time Rogers did with the scum, it was calculated - "we're in a great position" stuff.

We owe Gerrard a lot but GVB deserves credit for where we are right now as it was running away from Gerrard / Beale

Basically played same formation he did with us 3 narrow midfielders
Only Olli Watkins couldn't score in a brothel

There isn't much he can do when Watkins decided to wear Albian Ajeti's feet for the game. Squandered 3 massive chances.

God only knows why he took Coutinho though.

A good Rangers man? Really?

Yes really.

It's easy to forget the fantastic job he did on transforming our club back to how it should be.

The strange thing is there's no Seville without Gerrard because of the job he did rebuilding but there would have been no Seville had he stayed on either as he had went stale.

Stop acting like a spurned lover.

Great job and a guy who acted with the gravitas of a true Ranger whilst here.

Great job and a guy who acted with the gravitas of a true Ranger whilst here.
Does that include telling us porkies about negotiations that had taken place, the cheek he gave Emma Dodds and buggering off down south more and more often as time went on and interest in us had clearly wained?

I don’t want him to fail elsewhere. But at the same time I’m not fussed if he does either. What I will say is some still seem overly attached to him and give him far too much credit given his conduct at the end there.

He must have thought he was about to win Liverpool the league. Add in ús losing on penalties the other night and the guy has had a bad week like us. He's a good manager with a good backroom so time will tell what he achieves.

Hard not to laugh at him blowing the league for Liverpool...

But he's a rangers man and I'll always be thankful. I don't know if he'll regret going to villa but I don't believe he is happier there at all. Losing to city isn't anything to be ashamed off with the financial and quality gulf between them. It's easy to laugh at conceeding 3 goals in quick succession but also have to think about the determination, quality and the boost/momentum city had going after the first goal. Plus the shock/demoralisation from them scoring on the Villa side.

We just done very similar at the weekend scoring two in quick succession in ET and it won't be the last time.

However as said, I did get a chuckle at making Liverpool lose the league. :))

I was watching an interview with Clive Tyldesley recently and he was saying when he spoke to Gerrard in the last few months at Rangers he was constantly in his car driving back and forward to his family.

That is ultimately what made up his mind. I expect he will come under pressure early next season if things don’t improve, especially if Beale leaves.
I have no ill will against him whatsoever, but it was his/their choice not to move their family to Scotland

Always seems a strange reason that was given especially as it's what wpuld be expected of all the players and their families he signed for us

I have no ill will against him whatsoever, but it was his/their choice not to move their family to Scotland

Always seems a strange reason that was given especially as it's what wpuld be expected of all the players and their families he signed for us
By all accounts he was in Liverpool more than Glasgow

Think people are talking a lot of shite about Gerrard today. Villa defended like hell for 65 minutes or something, and at 2-0 City could have thrown in the towel. City hadn't played badly at all but nothing was coming off. It was one of the ultimate tests of character where their entire season was reduced to how they chose to react to going two down. They kept going and Villa's resistance couldn't keep up. I don't know about Gerrard's subs, but Guardiola clearly made the right subs.

It wasn't Gerrard's job to win Liverpool the title and it wasn't him who lost it, that's media narrative garbage. City steamrollered their way over the finish line.

Next season will be a huge test of Gerrard, for sure. If they can build on that defensive performance today and tighten up, they have something to build on. I wish him well.

This will be unpopular and hard pill to swallow for most. He doesn't and won't ever regret leaving Rangers.
I’m totally with you on that. The phrase once a ranger always a ranger doesn’t apply to Steven Gerrard I reckon…..we all know he’s a red through and through. He made a good job of immersing himself in the club when he arrived but why shouldn’t he as it was his first major job. But realistically, as you pointed out, I don’t think gerrard will ever regret leaving rangers, he’s doing what’s best for him and his opinion was that the villa job was the next step in his career aim towards managing Liverpool. I’m glad he managed us, but equally, now I can see he never really had any emotional tie with rangers, I’m equally glad he’s moved on and we’ve someone who played for the club and already knew about our history, fans, etc and seems genuinely happy to be here, not just chasing a dream

Gerrard is a good manager and won 55/stopped the 10 when previous dumplings weren't even close.

He'll get the Liverpool job eventually, even if he needs to go elsewhere before getting to Anfield. I must say I doubt Klopp is going anywhere soon and Liverpool might have tailed off before he gets the job. Within 5-7 years I can see Gerrard at Anfield.

Probably not mate but I firmly believe had Gerrard stayed we'd have got nowhere near Seville.

Now Gerrard and his team are a huge part of why we got there, they laid the foundations pulling the squad together etc but you could see something wasn't right towards the end of his time here.

I think there's a strong possibility we don't even get out the groups under Gerrard this season. We were playing extremely poorly on both the domestic and European fronts.

Back