Gerrard

It's so hard to compare between the two leagues...different worlds altogether...Real pity they let City steamroller them at the end but the Sheiks team has the money in buckets to bring in the best players and manager which they have done.
Loved having Gerrard as our manager and sad the way he carried out his exit but that's life when you live next door to the EPL. Hope he keeps learning and becomes a top manager.

What does the inability of City to stop an invasion of their fans in their own stadium have to do with Gerrard? It's a question for City to answer, or do you just want to keep saying he's raging?
Who took the jam out of your doughnut hahaha who gives a f***

Honestly couldn't care less Gerrards team didn't win the league and he's sulking end of story

Dick Advocaat said 3 years at Rangers is like 6 years at any other club. I think Steven was missing his family enormously. The football played in the Scottish Leagues is quite backward to say the least. Plastic pitches . Tiny grounds that are no better than English non-league. And of course the utter bitter jealous hatred by Scottish football towards Rangers FC. I think it finally took it's toll on Gerrard.

I think Malmo took the rug out from under him. Not getting into the CL and therefore not getting his preferred transfer targets had him working up his exit strategy.

I’ll remember him fondly but I think he’s made a bad move with Villa.

He went stale at Rangers, his team needed a refresh last summer whether he didn’t recognise that or whether the board couldn’t or wouldn’t back him is the key question. As stated earlier the travelling up and down wasn’t sustainable for him or the club. I think it was the right decision to go our separate ways for us and him but could have been handled better by him.

He now has a summer to change his squad and make the necessary progress. As does gio domestically.

It now feels right that he left when he did, I wish him well, he will be waiting a while for the big job imo.

He's probably getting grief for subbing off Coutinho just after he scored and handing the initiative back to City by inviting them on more. Result 3 goals in 5 minutes.

Aye what a mug not beating Man City...

Move on people. He's a decent manager who did a good job with us.

Regardless of what garbage your social media tells you.
Indeed. He came, took us to the title and restored the Club’s respectability and credibility. Then he moved on.

I bear him no ill will. In fact, I’d like to see him do well at Villa or wherever else he ends up.

We are on the Gio train these days. Full steam ahead.

To be fair City have dismantled far better teams this season. I thought his players lost interest abit after city scored their first. Almost like they thought why do we care? We go on holiday tomorrow regardless of the result.

I for one will always be thankful for everything SG did for us. He laid the foundations for our Europa league run, title 55 and the tens of millions he and his team earned through 3 seasons of European football. I wish him well

He'll never be sacked by Villa, the owners are huge Liverpool fans and idolise him. More likely at some point he moves upstairs like the German/Bayern football club model.

If Mick Beale leaves to go to Charlton then Gerrard is humped. Villa fans have been slating him on Twitter for a good number of weeks they’re far from convinced
Villa fans are a bit like those at Aberdeen. They find it difficult to accept that they are just one of a number of middle table clubs. Gerrard is their 7th manager in the last 10 years.

All this talk about Gerrard not being backed by the board.

It was Gerrards failure to get past a bang average Malmö that cost the club tens of millions and losing that revenue cost us bringing in the players we wanted!

He will be well backed by Villas owners this summer but they’ll expect far better results and performances than we’ve seen to date

They sacked dean smith who was a boyhood villa fan who done quite well the previous season so dont think they would have any problem sacking gerrard if he doesnt get off to a good start next season

If Mick Beale leaves to go to Charlton then Gerrard is humped. Villa fans have been slating him on Twitter for a good number of weeks they’re far from convinced
Was talking to a Villa fan that works in a pub in Benalmadena during the week and he isn't impressed with Gerrard at all. Feels he has taken then back the way and reckons he'll be lucky to see Christmas if things don't improve early next season. Hard to argue with.

We all know Villa is just a stop-gap until Klopp is away anyway.

I'd be guessing he was probably told he'd never get the Liverpool job unless he has an EPL club on his CV.

Gerrard didn't lose 3 goals in 5 minutes, his team did. They happened to be playing against one of the greatest club sides in the world. Two weeks ago that club side lost two goals inside 3 minutes to Real Madrid. That's football. Aston Villa may or not turn out to be the right move for him. I'm just pleased that when he was asked he came up to Glasgow to manage Rangers.

We all know Villa is just a stop-gap until Klopp is away anyway.

I'd be guessing he was probably told he'd never get the Liverpool job unless he has an EPL club on his CV.
This x100.

Show he has some form of ability in the epl and he’ll get the Liverpool gig. Going from spl to Liverpool wasn’t going to happen.

Given that. Villa is a good fit

Time will tell if he has it.

He will regret this move.

GVB is a better manager, SG wouldn't have been the success in Europe we had this season.

My only critism of GVB is the 12 point swing. Other than that I am happy and expect a better season when he has a window to play with.

The fact that Gio has come in and taken us to a European final and Scottish cup win within 6 months and basically using Gerrard's squad will have the Villa fans asking mega questions about his abilities as a manager.

Villa only finished 10 points above relegation so there's going to be real pressure on SG next season.

So Souness isn’t a Rangers man?
He left with 4 games to go, hardly the same circumstances.

Gerrard derailed us and we dropped too many points. We only finished 4 points behind the bheasts this season too which makes it all the more frustrating.

Anyway, Gio is the far superior manager and he'll bring us 56, finals and lots of success.

He will regret this move.

GVB is a better manager, SG wouldn't have been the success in Europe we had this season.

My only critism of GVB is the 12 point swing. Other than that I am happy and expect a better season when he has a window to play with.
Agree with your first two paragraphs but in most of the games that contributed to the 12 point swing some sloppiness from our players was the main reason. Think that your expectation about next season may well be right.

He left with 4 games to go, hardly the same circumstances.

Gerrard derailed us and we dropped too many points. We only finished 4 points behind the bheasts this season too which makes it all the more frustrating.

Anyway, Gio is the far superior manager and he'll bring us 56, finals and lots of success.

He (Souness) walked out on Rangers when we were bang in a title race

Gerrard “derailed” us? He left in the middle of November and we didn’t drop points in the league after he left till the middle of January.

We wouldn’t have just been in a European Final without him TBH

There is a lot of trash in that Villa side he likely resolves with recruitment
We wouldn’t have been anywhere near that European final with him TBH

Reactions: SCG
The Villa fans I work with think he’s a bit meh. If he doesn’t get off to a good start in the new season Idon’t think they will give him much leeway and the grumbling will start.

I wouldn’t trade Gio and our team for anyone tonight. Big respect to Gerrard for instilling the confidence in our club to express in European games.
Gio is a great manager and communicator . He tells the media, only what he wants. Very astute . This has helped us in highly competitive matches such as Europe.

Gerrard came to Rangers and restored the standards and subsequently the pride. He ended the "banter". Whilst I don't feel he won enough silverware he did a fantastic job.
He deserves our thanks and I'm certain he's thankful for the opportunity our club gave him.
Hopefully in time the supporters who still have an axe to grind will appreciate this.
We also don't know all the reasons he had for leaving. What we do know is he was absolutely dedicated whilst here. Steven Gerrard was one of the best decisions Rangers made in the recent history of the club.
He's gone now. Wish him well. Don't be bitter. We've moved on.

Back