Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Probably because there have been about a thousand threads having a go at Gio since the game finished last night.

I’m sure you could have found one to post your thoughts of his man management in.
Didn't see any that would include the topics covered tbh.

I didn't have a go at him in an abusive way or even call for his job, simply debating a subject around player selection etc

No need to stop a good discussion and chop it without warning or reason.

So far so good.

I would worry more about the lack of fight from our last outing across at the Tattiedome.

Our players showed the same lack of belief last night as they did against them.

But going back to Gio tactics, it really looks damage limitations to me.
Especially away from home.

Nest week we will have a go.
Because it will be expected by the supporters.

But that may prove us losing more heavily.

It’s a catch 22 situation.

Left the Dundee united game a couple of weeks ago thinking I'd seen enough. Laboured, uninspiring, turgid football. The gap has closed since then and there's reason to be hopeful of winning the league. The performance against Hearts was better.

However, the level of performance we have been subjected to this season will not be enough to win the league in my opinion. Without improvement it's a matter of time before we drop points. Under Gio we will either kick on, and go on a run that keeps us in the title race or slowly and painfully slip further behind. He'll get the time one way or the other.

For me, the football is slow, boring and predictable. Players like Wright, Tillman, Jack, Arfield and Davis seem to be flavour of the month one minute, out the picture the next. With so many underperforming players, I'd argue he can't get the best out the squad. That's probably linked to the style of play. Tillman at RW, Kamara as a 10 and numerous other baffling selections don't help him. I can't see it ending well but I hope I am wrong.

We are two points behind in the league with two home games against Celtic to come.

We are playing in the Champions League.

We reached the Europa League final last season.

We lost the league by 4 points last year, while still competing in Europe and the Scottish cup.

We won the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade.

Have all the performances been good? No, definitely not. However I find it ridiculous to say it’s not working out.
I still don't think Gio is a good manager and as I said, the decline in our players is frightening. It's working out domestically as we have a vastly superior team to just about everyone else so we should be sitting right behind Celtic at this stage. The only test we had domestically Gio failed, massively.

It is very unlikely I am going to change my mind. I think Gio is a tragically bad manager and at the very, very best, he is just not suited to Rangers. I can't see it getting any better - especially if he's not allowed to sign his own players and we've got the so far equally pointless Wilson doing that.

Left the Dundee united game a couple of weeks ago thinking I'd seen enough. Laboured, uninspiring, turgid football. The gap has closed since then and there's reason to be hopeful of winning the league. The performance against Hearts was better.

However, the level of performance we have been subjected to this season will not be enough to win the league in my opinion. Without improvement it's a matter of time before we drop points. Under Gio we will either kick on, and go on a run that keeps us in the title race or slowly and painfully slip further behind. He'll get the time one way or the other.

For me, the football is slow, boring and predictable. Players like Wright, Tillman, Jack, Arfield and Davis seem to be flavour of the month one minute, out the picture the next. With so many underperforming players, I'd argue he can't get the best out the squad. That's probably linked to the style of play. Tillman at RW, Kamara as a 10 and numerous other baffling selections don't help him. I can't see it ending well but I hope I am wrong.
Some good points.
And very pertinent ones.

But these players who let’s face it, are Gerrard’s, and possibly some past their sell by date, are being asked once again to go that extra mile.
Without having ‘quality’ replacements to help them.

Just not sure they are up for it!

So if Gio is replaced and a new manager fails to win the league or a domestic cup then surely he is fair game to be binned aswell?Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

This is for me the biggest issue.
Should you not have an issue with the players as well. You hear players like Bassey saying I don’t care where I play as long as I get a game. If you played Bassey as a number 9 you might come home and say it didn’t work but I’m pretty sure you would have thought he put a shift in.

There's no way we are coming out of the season with 109 points so there will be plenty of dropped points to come and with every dropped point there will be a lot of angry posters on FF.

Even if 95 points is enough to win the league we'd have 2 defeats and 4 draws to look forward to and all of the associated commentary that comes with that. God help us if we are eliminated from one of the cups.

Gerrard left us suddenly in November last season. Gio came in and took us to a European final and won a domestic cup. If Gerrard was "only won 1 out of 9" then Gio is "won 1 out of 2 so far". Then he takes us past PSV into the Champions League.

Negative style of play though. Boring interviews. Blah blah blah.

What chance does any future Rangers manager really have? Come in halfway through a season, take us to a European final, win a domestic cup, take us into the Champions League. Supporters want your head on a pike anyway.

Then if we do win the league the same people who were demanding heads should roll in August will be pretending like nothing ever happened. They are "just happy to be proved wrong" or some other crap.

He should get to the end of the season. Unless the tims were to run away with the league then we might as well start over as soon as possible.
We are paying to get entertained as well as winning .
Its only Scotland, the Dundee Utd game was shocking and off topic Kent was as well and should have been dropped.
Poor mangement imo

No Rangers manager there's ever been or ever will be will ever be judged based on UCL results.
Complete rubbish, the reason walter was pushed during his first spell was murray wasn't happy with us failing miserably at European level , Joe Lewis was putting millions into the club and walter despite great domestic success was pushed and dick advocaat took over. Your doing well today.

Should you not have an issue with the players as well. You hear players like Bassey saying I don’t care where I play as long as I get a game. If you played Bassey as a number 9 you might come home and say it didn’t work but I’m pretty sure you would have thought he put a shift in.
What discernible style do we actually play? What patterns of play do we have? I’d say the players are frustrated at that sort of stuff rather than positions they are being used in.

They are thrown on the pitch in a formation and that’s it.

He gets the rest of this season and the screaming wifies of FF.com just have to stfu.
Don’t complain when we win fuk all. He had half a season, lost a good lead and league. He got the window to get his players. Hardly any of them play. This team has regressed massively, physically and more important mentally.

We know the champions league is a step
Up but when you set up to hardly lay a glove on your opponents then what’s the point?

GVB has already came out with a few worrying comments and it isn’t getting any better.

Who do we bring in? IDK but someone with a bit of aggression and balls instead of mr nice stubborn guy. Gio is a copy of Warburton tactically.

Gio lost me the day he never went to speak to the players at Hampden v Hibs

I dunno, but how much time do we give him? We stick with him drop more points behind them and they are onto instant CL qualification again and more money to transfers….we finish 2nd and continue signing very poorly. I just don’t know
Reality is signings are going to be poor whoever the manager is

The difference in energy,heart and quality from last season is massive. The players have regressed terribly. Unless there’s a massive upturn,it won’t end good for Gio.

Don’t complain when we win fuk all. He had half a season, lost a good lead and league. He got the window to get his players. Hardly any of them play. This team has regressed massively, physically and more important mentally.

Up but when you set up to hardly lay a glove on your opponents then what’s the point?

GVB has already came out with a few worrying comments and it isn’t getting any better.

Who do we bring in? IDK but someone with a bit of aggression and balls instead of mr nice stubborn guy. Gio is a copy of Warburton tactically.

Hibs at hampden, I'm the same

Yeah I’ve got issues with the players as well but they wouldn’t be the 1st team to stop playing for a manager.

I’ve never been a fan of Gio and to say otherwise would be revisionism on my part but from a board perspective I can understand why they think he deserves more time. Personally, I still think it’s going to inevitably end with us sacking him.

It’s all very weird as it’s not like our previous non-league winning managers, he’s not a poor manager.
Your right mate he’s not a poor manager but his boring style of play is not easy on the eye. Far too negative for the league we play in and dross we come up against week in week out

He’s nowhere near at the stage where the club would consider getting rid of him but I do have serious doubts about him.

Under Gerrard you could clearly see tactically what we were trying to do and we had a set way of playing and did not fear any opposition . 1 year into GVB’s reign and I still have no idea what he is trying to do but it is an extremely difficult watch

Complete rubbish, the reason walter was pushed during his first spell was murray wasn't happy with us failing miserably at European level , Joe Lewis was putting millions into the club and walter despite great domestic success was pushed and dick advocaat took over. Your doing well today.

Sorry, my apologies. No manager since 1998/99 will be judged on UCL results.

And it's 'You're'. If you're going to try to be smart at least learn how to spell properly.

Why do you feel like you have to “understand” what he’s trying to do.
When did this become a thing?
Is it not enough to understand that he’s
If it’s that important, take up coaching.
A bit old to be taking it up now - but I did coach for over a decade after I retired from playing. I like to get a feel for what a coach is trying to achieve with the team I have supported all my life.

Did you feel the same with some of the performances in the second half of two seasons under Gerrard or the many times our performances “weren’t up to the required standard” under, even Smith?
Look I get it we have different opinions on this obviously you think he's doing a fine job that's your opinion I simply don't share that opinion.

That was a completely different world a quarter of a century ago.

Congratulations for not waiting to jump on the bandwagon after he lost a game. You’re blaming him for a result before he was even manager because he didn’t disrupt the preparations of the guys who were taking the team.

I’d like to applaud you for sticking to your principles and not allowing trivial wins over Dortmund, Leipzig, Red Star, Braga or PSV Eindhoven to sway you from the judgment you made because Gio didn’t break the law and risk his work permit application.

The mental regression didn’t stop him raising the players after the devastation of losing at penalties in Seville to win the cup final thereafter.

That also highlighted the physical regression as we racked up extra time like it was going out of fashion. At the business end of last season we it seemed we were playing 4 hours per week every time a big game came round and looked the fitter team at the end of every match.

If someone had said to us at the start of the season that on the 6th of October you would be 2 points behind despite having a much more difficult run of fixtures, still in the league cup and about to host Liverpool at Ibrox in the champions league then everyone here would absolutely have taken that. It’s not been perfect - far from it but some people are absolutely obsessed with the negatives.

I have no confidence in being entertained or winning any game , this is how low I feel. Gio is a 'grey' character , and team reflect this .

We need to promote the very promising youngsters and move the staleness of our play.
Gio came with a reputation of trusting youngsters , hope this can justified

In what way?

We have went forwards in Europe by qualifying for the CL for the first time in 12 years. We reached a European final 5 months ago.. we also won the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade. These are all positives. We are right in a title fight after our biggest win at Tynecastle in many a year.

We lost to Liverpool, Ajax and Napoli... It's hardly a sign of going backwards.... Do we expect to beat them? Really?

Napoli arguably the form side of Europe and the moment who put 6 past Ajax away and 4 past Liverpool and top of the league. Then Liverpool one of the top 4 sides in club football.

The reaction is so irrational.
I agree - and it’s hardly like we were juggernauts before he came.. This time last year we were shipping goals against the diddies at a ridiculous rate and drawing at home with Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hearts aswell as having been knocked out the champions league and struggling on the Europa league - The reality is that we haven’t been a particularly good team out with the wonderful 20/21 league season in ages.

If we take another OF hiding he has to go. If we don’t take another OF hiding but still lose the league, he has to go.

What about if he sleeps in & is late for training?
I’d be more worried about falling asleep during games with the football his sides play times.

What about you? I’m guessing you’d be happy for him to carry on as long as he fancies it, seeing as you’ve got that “it’s not the winning, it’s the taking part that counts” mentality :))

As someone who wanted him in the job and still supports him he gets this season to win the league. If he doesn’t come close, then he should be replaced

Gio is a 'grey' character , and team reflect this .
Nail on head.

Thats not to say hes a bad or incapable Coach but its an aspect that is not going to matter only when things are going well and everyone is hitting form, available and results and stacking up.

If things go pear shaped, then moreso, and you need someone with real drive and personality to overshadow everything else and bring people up, thats when its an issue because whos going to watch and listen to the greyness?

Without sounding overly disrespectful I think there is a lack of, lets call it character, within this Rangers squad and that was often compensated by someone like Gerrard who was an Icon and larger than Football Life.

Gio had a superb career and is clearly both intelligent and capable but he doesnt have that personality or standing.

To be the Rangers Manager you need to live and breath it 247, you also have to really want that commitment or itll bury you. Gerrard had it and used it to great effect during his time.

Gio just doesnt seem to know what the problems are never mind what to do with them and even if he did Im think the grey would get in the way.

Harsh perhaps but we're facing a reality check.

Looking at the CL table it’s still not outside the bounds of possibility we could qualify for the Europa League so let’s see.

BUT, patience is wearing thin.

It is very unlikely I am going to change my mind. I think Gio is a tragically bad manager and at the very, very best, he is just not suited to Rangers. I can't see it getting any better - especially if he's not allowed to sign his own players and we've got the so far equally pointless Wilson doing that.
A tragically bad manager that somehow managed to take us all the way to the Europa League final, qualify for the CL and win the Scottish Cup knocking out the Yahoos in the process?

Okay then.

Nail on head.

Thats not to say hes a bad or incapable Coach but its an aspect that is not going to matter only when things are going well and everyone is hitting form, available and results and stacking up.

If things go pear shaped, then moreso, and you need someone with real drive and personality to overshadow everything else and bring people up, thats when its an issue because whos going to watch and listen to the greyness?

Without sounding overly disrespectful I think there is a lack of, lets call it character, within this Rangers squad and that was often compensated by someone like Gerrard who was an Icon and larger than Football Life.

Gio had a superb career and is clearly both intelligent and capable but he doesnt have that personality or standing.

To be the Rangers Manager you need to live and breath it 247, you also have to really want that commitment or itll bury you. Gerrard had it and used it to great effect during his time.

Gio just doesnt seem to know what the problems are never mind what to do with them and even if he did Im think the grey would get in the way.

Harsh perhaps but we're facing a reality check.
There is a very definite belief on here that’s more or less summed up in this post that Gerrard, a Brit, is a passionate firebrand (and footballing icon ©️) who leads by example, rousing his players from the sidelines just as he did when he was on the pitch.

Whereas, Gio, a foreigner, is an insipid ‘grey’ mouselike character who the players simply don’t respect.

This completely ignores that Gerrard was often criticised for being too passive in the dugout, sitting with his arms folded and his eyes glazed or that Gio was chosen to captain his country and led them to a World Cup final.

I don’t really know how Gio is as a person or how he is on the training pitch just as I don’t really know Gerrard, but it strikes me that there are a lot of very convenient assumptions being made based on really pretty lazy stereotypes.

There is a very definite belief on here that’s more or less summed up in this post that Gerrard, a Brit, is a passionate firebrand (and footballing icon ©️) who leads by example, rousing his players from the sidelines just as he did when he was on the pitch.

Whereas, Gio, a foreigner, is an insipid ‘grey’ mouselike character who the players simply don’t respect.

This completely ignores that Gerrard was often criticised for being too passive in the dugout, sitting with his arms folded and his eyes glazed or that Gio was chosen to captain his country and led them to a World Cup final.

I don’t really know how Gio is as a person or how he is on the training pitch just as I don’t really know Gerrard, but it strikes me that there are a lot of very convenient assumptions being made based on really pretty lazy stereotypes.
Where was that Gerrard criticism exactly? Id suggest it was quite the opposite and as Captain/Leader, he carried his sometimes club and country sides when they were less than their best. Its the reason he was a career-long Captain at both levels.

As for the laziness, I think after this long in charge and the problems remaining its hardly lazy to draw those conclusions. Its logical and to ignore them would be folly.

The comparison of performance levels from Gerrard to Gio has nothing to do with Nationality so including it in the conversation is both naïve and disrespectful to both.

Results and performances are in the history books and online to review. Maybe take a look back and before making engaging in stereotype talk.

I couldnt care less where someone comes from or what their background is, I just want them to make the most of whatever they have at Rangers and always look to improve it, even a little.

I saw it in droves under Gerrard, I dont see it under Gio.

Simple as that with not an ounce of naivety.

Back