Goldson and Katic

SDF

Despite all the different permutations SG has tried at centre back, we've yet to find a better central defensive partnership than these two. Goldson just looks that bit more comfortable with Katic alongside him.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Helander regains fitness if Goldson and Katic keep these clean sheets coming.

Helander is the best CB at the club by a distance.

I love Katic and he has the most potential but our support is somewhat deluded when it comes to him

Sort of see it as the opposite. I think we’ve got jokers who went against Katic when he was dropped, now get hung up on every gaff he makes whilst turning their backs on any and all gaffs made by Helander and Goldson.

Ample evidence for it over the last couple of months alone.

Nobody comes close to his positional awareness, he will occasionally get caught out by pace at times but none of the other 3 read the game anywhere near as well
Mate again I respect that, but in my opinion we have 3 CB that are very good.

To say one is miles better than the other two is wrong.

I thought katic a few horror moments but nonetheless, pretty solid.

Goldson was absolutely excellent today, confidence pouring out him.

They were not tested the last 2 games.
However Power was given a free shot today in the middle of our goal, I expect one of our centre backs to get out to try a block.
We will need to be careful not to be so open on Sunday, they might get a consolation goal.

Sort of see it as the opposite. I think we’ve got jokers who went against Katic when he was dropped, now get hung up on every gaff he makes whilst turning their backs on any and all gaffs made by Helander and Goldson.

Ample evidence for it over the last couple of months alone.

You're kidding, right?

Despite all the different permutations SG has tried at centre back, we've yet to find a better central defensive partnership than these two. Goldson just looks that bit more comfortable with Katic alongside him.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Helander regains fitness if Goldson and Katic keep these clean sheets coming.
I think Katic had a good game, he has 'calmed' down a bit and not getting drawn in as much. Goldson is our best CH.

It find it hard to believe anyone watching our defence could argue that Goldson and Helander is our best pairing. The goals were losing with that pairing were horrendously soft.

The same occurred last season when Katic got bombed out for Worrall.

Goldson best performances have all come along side Katic.

We’ve conceded less goals when we’ve got Goldson and Katic together.

Helander might be the best defender at the club but that doesn’t meant he’s part of the best partnership. It would be Goldson and Katic for me every day of the week (until we get the chance to see Katic and Helander).

I ken 'k'all compared to Stevie G and the management team, but my two pennyworth: Goldson and Katic are the best pairing we've seen so far. But I'd really love to see Katic and Edmundson together. At times CG has looked ropey, granted NK had one or two iffy moments, but with game time, Katic just gets better. Seen little of Edmundson, but what I've seen makes me want to see more, and I think NK is the most commanding to have beside him. Just my thoughts, & after all, in the immortal words of Manuel, I know nothing, Mr Fawlty.

I thought big Katic started shakily today, but his partner helped him through it.

Hes had a few errors early in the last few games and got away with them. Hes stonger and quicker but Helander is much better on the ball and as a left footer gets its out to Borna that bit quicker.

Last edited:
I think we are weak with these two, neither have pace and a battleship turns quicker than the pair of them

Helander and Katic I’d like to see, again only IMO our two defensive weak points are Goldson and Tav
We've kept numerous clean sheets with Goldson and Helander against the likes of Feyenoord.

Katic isn't fast, so nobody can use his pace as a positive.

Had a fantastic long ball to Kent wide left and another to Kent’s feet in the box that Ryan let get away from him.

Not tested defensively today but, in terms of building the play, I thought he was excellent.

Yes That one to Kent in the box was really good vision.

A good first touch there & that should’ve been the opener.

Great I’ve missed these threads, what have I done the last half hour since the last one.

Helander is the best centre half we have, Katic has potential but today again proved he is still raw, got caught out a few times. At the level Gerrard wants us you can’t make mistakes as regular as Katic, which is mainly being too eager to go for every ball.

We've kept numerous clean sheets with Goldson and Helander against the likes of Feyenoord.

Katic isn't fast, so nobody can use his pace as a positive.

Katic has far superior defensive positional sense, Goldson and Tav leave huge gapping holes when bombing forward which is a big weakness IMO

They'll be in for a test on Sunday.
Can't see them being as bad as the cup final considering they're at home and have the chance to increase the temporary gap.
Goldson and Katic need to be solid.
I'm worried about Edouard up against Goldson, Goldson conceded a needless free kick that they scored their offside goal from in cup final.

Mate again I respect that, but in my opinion we have 3 CB that are very good.

To say one is miles better than the other two is wrong.
It's a compliment to Helander rather than a dig at the other 3, he is just a level above imo

Great I’ve missed these threads, what have I done the last half hour since the last one.

Helander is the best centre half we have, Katic has potential but today again proved he is still raw, got caught out a few times. At the level Gerrard wants us you can’t make mistakes as regular as Katic, which is mainly being too eager to go for every ball.

The other two have been caught out several times too though, why aren’t they raw? This is the issue I have, a more intense light seems to be shone on Katic’s shortcomings.

Even after Goldson was easily brushed aside in the league cup final for the best chance of the game most said “ah he was fine”. If that’s Katic he’s getting pelters for something like that. It seems a tad unfair.

Goldson is our no1 centre back and is a leader within the team. Very good at bringing the ball out. I think Helander is an extremely classy defender. Katic is a monster in the air and if he can work on his timing and reading of the game he will be outstanding.

He always does look better with Katic, I don’t see why the need to change it and if he has to why for a change maybe it should be Katic who stays in.

I know he gets a bit of stick but I think Goldson is the best all round central defender. I rate Katic highly but I think a better team would’ve punished us for one or two things Katic done today. Not much in it but I think our best partnership is Goldson and Helander. Katic is however a great option.

Goldson played a good game today and made some telling balls.

imo it's clear that Goldson has been told that HE is the main man for passing out it from the back.

Although we keep hearing on here about how he's a fecking rotten passer of the ball, I've watched him over the last few weeks and he's actually not bad at all.

Today, there were a couple of his long passes that were truly brilliant, and I'm struggling to recall one that went completely wayward.
In other words, he's a lot better passer of the ball than many FF posters would have us believe.

We’re fortunate to have a collection of good defenders and I think Helander, Goldson and Katic are all good.

Goldson and Helander for the most part worked really well together but something feels a little more natural with the balance of Goldson and Katic.

One thing I will say is that I don’t understand the supporters who overstate the faults of Helander simply because their preference is Katic and vice versa – they are different but both very good.

In other words, he's a lot better passer of the ball than many FF posters would have us believe.
Aye, of course he is. He has his flaws but he's a decent CB compared to the rest of the Scottish Premiership.

As for what, "many FF posters would have us believe."? It's a mini Ibrox. We have been a support of grumpy-faced, glass half empty, greeting cnts for as long as I've supported us. And that's been a while.

Goldson is our number 1 CB.

Helander will partner him, more often that not, when fit.

I prefer Goldson and Helander.

Katic has great potential.

Katic has far superior defensive positional sense, Goldson and Tav leave huge gapping holes when bombing forward which is a big weakness IMO

I'll agree about Goldson leaving big holes when bombing forward, but that's Tav's role, it is up to someone else to plug that gap.

Back