Goldson and Katic

The reality is I don’t really care which two of the three are playing because there hardly seems to be any difference in how good our defending is.
I love the fact that we can bring in another central defender and not look any weaker.
Having big George as back up is also reassuring.

Despite all the different permutations SG has tried at centre back, we've yet to find a better central defensive partnership than these two. Goldson just looks that bit more comfortable with Katic alongside him.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Helander regains fitness if Goldson and Katic keep these clean sheets coming.

The results and ...clean sheets speak for themselves.

Goldson & Helander are our best partnership by a distance.

Its like people purposely ignore Katic making mistake after mistake, even under little pressure from a team happy to take a draw he was all over the place first half.

Goldson & Helander are our best partnership by a distance.

Its like people purposely ignore Katic making mistake after mistake, even under little pressure from a team happy to take a draw he was all over the place first half.

I don't really want to get drawn into this ...but Goldson makes just as many, never gets called out for his... yet plays in every game.
Go figure!
It's the manager's call.

Can't remember when we had four such excellent centre backs. Quite happy with all of them but if Gerrard prefers Goldson and Helander, that's good enough for me.

Katic is basically a white Marvin Andrews. In both a positive and negative sense.

I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if this time next year our first choice CB pairing was Helander and a new summer signing.

I don't really want to get drawn into this ...but Goldson makes just as many, never gets called out for his... yet plays in every game.
Go figure!
It's the manager's call.
Because he is better, might make some mistakes but more than makes up for it.

Massive leader on the park which gets downplayed/forgotten about.

Katic brings out the best in Goldson as in its like Goldson is more towing the line more captain like. I think with Helander he doesn't do that and it effects their communication in a way. Like the over the top balls in Europa league.

Despite all the different permutations SG has tried at centre back, we've yet to find a better central defensive partnership than these two. Goldson just looks that bit more comfortable with Katic alongside him.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Helander regains fitness if Goldson and Katic keep these clean sheets coming.

Usually agree with you SDF I thought CG had a good game and Katic something of a 'mare today.

Fear for Katic on Sunday against the Frenchman to be honest.

Helander looks to me a more more rounded and experienced defender but Katic can develop he has bags of potential.

I have no doubt if Helander were fit he would be in....

Usually agree with you SDF I thought CG had a good game and Katic something of a 'mare today.

Fear for Katic on Sunday against the Frenchman to be honest.

Helander looks to me a more more rounded and experienced defender but Katic can develop he has bags of potential.

I have no doubt if Helander were fit he would be in....
Said the same to my mate regarding Sunday. Thats my one fear.

They’ll target Katic. He is far, far too rash and Edouard could run rings round him, again.

They’ll target Katic. He is far, far too rash and Edouard could run rings round him, again.

Again? I’ve mostly seen Edouard pray on Goldson, not as much Katic

I’ve just seen their 2 goals on SSN, their French U21 striker takes up the space between the right back and right CH, he’s done that before against us.
We will need to be solid on that side.

I agree and they are not just going to throw high balls at him...however the big man has been through a few of these games so it's his chance to show he's learned a lot. He is a fan favourite he makes some amount of mistakes that don't get highlighted on here or gain groans from the stands but in the cold light of a big game that's where he can show if he's the real deal the way people think he is.

I think he has great potential but worry he is still a bit short currently. He was all over the place at times today.

Again? I’ve mostly seen Edouard pray on Goldson, not as much Katic

He usually runs by him for fun.......Edouard is a very tricky player and Katic has looked well short against him and there's no doubt this will be a focus for them.

Having said that Katic's development has to be based on moving forward-Sunday gives him the chance to show previous OF erratic performances were part of that development. I think he can get there the question is whether it's a bit too soon yet.

Maybe because you’ve seen Goldson play against them more?

He goes on Katic anytime he plays. Will see on Sunday.

In one of the wins at Ibrox for us the big Frenchman ghosted past Katic after having 10 yards to make up and one of their players screwed past an absolute sitter.

Still it's Katic many won't remember.

Thought Goldson was excellent today and agree Katic can be a bit rash at times trying to attack balls that he has very little chance of winning. Let's hope they both have a blinder next week and help to keep a clean sheet.

Helander reads the game extremely well. But he also moves like a pensioner and can be fairly weak in the challenge a times.

Katic would run through a brick wall and is more commanding, but he's prone to the odd brain fart where he over commits and needlessly goes for balls he doesn't have to. That'll come with experience.

Helander has done nothing to suggest he is our best CB. People get hung up on the fact he cost big money and played in Serie A. If we had signed him for 500k from the English championship people wouldn't have such a high opinion of him

We have 4 quality centre backs. For me, Goldson and Helander start as our number 1 pairing, however Katic is a very promising young player. He is a beast in the opposition box as well. Edoaurd is a very good player in patches in games. we'll need to be careful that we don't get caught too far upfield. Katic needs to try and hold him up rather than win everything first time, which is his weakness.

Hopefully I don’t jinx it by saying this but im confused as to why there’s concern over Katic on Edouard. Last couple of games I watched Edouard was the beneficiary of shoddy play from Goldson, Katic hasn’t been the big issue. But this in keeping with the new narrative which I alluded to previously.

At the end of the day it’s become petty, but I’d rather people have petty debates because we’ve got 4 good centres half’s than debates over which 2 of 4 donkeys to pick. We’re quite fortunate.

I'll admit to sometimes being a bit of a Katic fanboi, his youth does mean he does make some rash decisions that find him out of position. For this reason alone, that makes Helander a better defender, for now.

Katic is more of a threat in front of goal, but sometimes his rushes of blood to the head can cause us real problems, like his slice that played in Killie for their first serious attempt at goal. (that Goldson rightly roasted him for)

He will improve though, with age.

I find it odd that folk are saying helander is our best CH.
He is slower than a long weekend and although his positional sense is good, he has absolutely no recovery pace.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating and as happened last year, our best defensive record came when Goldson and Katic played together
Katic has to improve on his position and decision y but he has tremendous recovery pace and compliments Goldson who is a more stand off defender.
It's great to have 4 quality defenders but my opinion is that, Goldson and Katic are our best pairing
Just look at goals lost when they play together

I'll admit to sometimes being a bit of a Katic fanboi, his youth does mean he does make some rash decisions that find him out of position. For this reason alone, that makes Helander a better defender, for now.

Katic is more of a threat in front of goal, but sometimes his rushes of blood to the head can cause us real problems, like his slice that played in Killie for their first serious attempt at goal. (that Goldson rightly roasted him for)

He will improve though, with age.

He does make rash challenges on occasion, he definitely has his shortcomings. But seeing Goldson and Helander’s shortcomings swept under the carpet gets a bit tiresome after a while. One is as slow as a week in jail and can be a bit of a soft touch at times, and Goldson’s already had a few very costly brain farts this season, yet it’s Katic whose put under the spotlight and scrutinised?

Like I said, quite a few people kidding themselves on here. As for people thinking Helander is our best centre half, I think it’s fairy close between all three of them, but perhaps people are influenced by Helander’s price tag and the fact he played in Seria A.

I'm really not sure tbh. There isn't one partnership that is ideal & is well ahead of the others.

I actually thought Katic was poor at times. He is too rash & doesn't pick his moments resulting in him getting dragged out of position. Hopefully experience will erase this gradually from his game.

Goldson has his flaws & I worry Edouard has the beating of him. He is probably the best all rounder attribute wise but occassionally has some absolutely rank games

Helander is the slowest of the lot but is the most composed & easily the best positionally. He has a really good knack of knowing when to commit himself.

All 3 are weak on the turn & thats my biggest worry for the OF game as Edouard is particularly good at committing a defender & taking the ball on the spin.

There isn't enough evidence to judge Edmundson but i really like what I've seen.

A couple of seasons ago we would have had Edmundson straight into the side and be thanking our stars for the opportunity to drop one of the duds. The fact a player with his promise can't get a sniff of a first team start tells us how much the CD options have improved under Gerrard. None of our 4 CBs look to have the cock-up potential of big-mouth Julia at the scum. That's the central defensive issue I expect to be exposed on Sunday.

The Pigsty Is the big test here.

Before even opening this thread, you knew what posters would be on it and what horse they'd be backing and what narrative they'd be spinning for their favourite player.

What a pathetic wee place this is at times.

People need to grow up.

Back