GVB 4 wins

YOGI_GER

I’m sure I heard Tom Miller mention this yesterday that a long old record had been broken with 4 straight wins since coming in, which I found surprising.

What was the record and who held it last?

Wonder what the context for the other managers coming in is. Most incoming managers are either pre-season or when someone has bee sacked after a bad run. So new managers are either coming in to an unsettled squad or one with low confidence that's been badly managed. Really surprise it's such a long record though.

I’m sure I heard Tom Miller mention this yesterday that a long old record had been broken with 4 straight wins since coming in, which I found surprising.

You heard correct,i did too,he said he'd broken willie waddells record by winning the 4 games.

I think it was Davie White. Waddell first game was 13th December 1969
I have cause to remember the date
IIRC White was top of the league when he was sacked after a Gornik defeat at Ibrox
Pretty sure Davie White had 9 wins in a row at the start of his Rangers Managership. Beating Struth, who had 8.:eek:

They said since Mr Waddell. Was surprised at that tbh.

Ah sorry we pumped the mighty Dundee, we are now the undisputed unbeatable force once again.
Scraping wins is what all league challenging sides do at various points in a season. Paedos have scraped one goal wins in their last two games. Man City scraped a win against Villa. Liverpool yesterday scraped a win with a last gasp goal.

The only “scrape” under Gio has been Hibs and we were dominant in that game, limiting Hibs to virtually nothing in terms of goal scoring opportunities.

Pretty sure Davie White had 9 wins in a row at the start of his Rangers Managership. Beating Struth, who had 8.:eek:
Davie White's first 10 League games in charge (from 1 Nov 67). 9 wins and a draw (we scored 37 goals in those 10 matches), then, after the draw at the DhimDome, went on to win the next 10 League games as well:

St Johnstone 2 Rangers 3
Rangers 1 Morton 0
Stirling Albion 2 Rangers 4
Rangers 2 Hibs 0
Rangers 2 Airdrie 1
Rangers 10 Raith Rovers 2
Rangers 4 Kilmarnock 1
Aberdeen 1 Rangers 4
Rangers 5 Partick Thistle 2
Dhims 2 Rangers 2

We won 28 League games that season, drew 5 and lost just one - on the last day of the season Away to Aberdeen.

We did lose 1-3 Away to Cologne in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in late November but qualified 4-3 on aggregate. If you include that then White only won his first 4, as that was his 5th game in charge.

Last edited:
I’d rather be realistic than delusional mate. We’re still scraping wins and going through the motions like under the dying days of Gerrard, although some individual performances have improved.

We only have time to tell us if we will keep going or stagnate.
We easily could have scored 5/6 goals against Livi and Dundee on another day and poor finishing stopped us putting about 4 past Sparta, all while barely conceding any chances. You're clueless about football if you think we have scraped any of those.

Alright, I went back and checked. Bill Struth took over as Manager in the Summer of 1920, after the tragic death of William Wilton. He started the campaign for season 1920/21 with the following results - representing 8 wins in a row, ended by a draw at Aberdeen. That is the current record for consecutive wins for a Rangers Manager following their appointment. As mentioned above, Davie White managed 9 League wins on the trot after his appointment - but there was a loss Away to Cologne in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in amongst that run, so not really 9 on the spin:

Rangers 4 Airdrie 1
Rangers 2 Motherwell 1
Rangers 2 Aberdeen 1
Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 2
Motherwell 0 Rangers 2
Rangers 2 Albion Rovers 1
Rangers 2 Morton 0
Hearts 0 Rangers 4
Aberdeen 1 Rangers 1

We followed that with another 12 wins on the bounce by the way.

Last edited:
I'm sure the "new manager bounce" has actually been shown to be a fallacy.

”The “bounce” that comes when a new manager is appointed is often because things cannot get any worse. An uptick is almost inevitable. The bounce is an illusion and the new manager is the beneficiary, with any positive results giving him the time he needs to do the real work of sorting out a team.”

Ah sorry we pumped the mighty Dundee, we are now the undisputed unbeatable force once again.

The match was against Dundee though! It's not like we had a choice of opposition!

You said we are scraping wins. 3-0 is not scraping a win.
You can't then turn around and basically say "OK admit I made a stupid point but beating Dundee isn't impressive."

I despair when I see supporters upset that the players aren't emptying the tank to give teams a hammering. Got sick of hearing Gerrard talk about "game management" but in reality what he's talking about is correct. It's a long and tiring season and a comfortable, well managed, win is better in the long run than expending energy chasing high scores and then being wrecked when the end of season pressure ramps up.

I’d rather be realistic than delusional mate. We’re still scraping wins and going through the motions like under the dying days of Gerrard, although some individual performances have improved.

We only have time to tell us if we will keep going or stagnate.
This is just plain wrong. Since Hearts at home (1-1) we’ve been steadily improving, the improvement was there to see in the underlying numbers. The numbers are starting to match the results now, as is usually the case. Gio is doing well & is improving on what SG was doing prior to his departure.

We’re creating much more & conceding less & less chances.

I think it’s been a very promising start for van Bronckhorst. I’m looking forward to the next chance to see Rangers play as I could even see the lift he had given the players in the Sparta game.

IIRC White was top of the league when he was sacked after a Gornik defeat at Ibrox
Both White and Waddell won their first 5 games in charge.
Hibs were top of the League when White got sacked.

PosPrevDiffTeamGWDLFADiffAvgPts
110Hibernian1310122511142.272721
231Rangers148332817111.647119
352Dundee United13832201461.428619
32-1Dunfermline Athletic13832201461.428619
54-1Celtic128132917121.705917

See post #21. White won his first 9 league games in charge. There was a defeat to Cologne in there though so not 9 on the spin, just the 4 before the 3-1 loss to the Germans. Struth, unsurprisingly, holds the record at 8 (see post #29).

Yes, as I remember it, Davie White was indeed sacked when we were top of the league. Wonder what might have happened if we'd kept him on.

The poster is the sort who will be greety faced when we are not 5 up in 10mins.
I can't stand supporters with attitudes like him. Greet and moan for 38 games then gets the flares and smoke bombs out when we lift the trophy. I've asked many times through the years but they can never answer why they follow football when they clearly get nothing out of it. They won't admit it's just a vehicle to get angry.

4 wins in a row was surprising for me too. Genuinely thought it'd have been much higher.

But that in itself isn't the impressive thing. Its the teams he's beaten- arguably some of our hardest of the season. Both hibs and livi away are up there with our toughest places to go along with the pedodome and Pittodrie
I'd have Tynecastle above both of them. Their cesspits but we own them after last year.

Alright, I went back and checked. Bill Struth took over as Manager in the Summer of 1920, after the tragic death of William Wilton. He started the campaign for season 1920/21 with the following results - representing 8 wins in a row, ended by a draw at Aberdeen. That is the current record for consecutive wins for a Rangers Manager following their appointment. As mentioned above, Davie White managed 9 League wins on the trot after his appointment - but there was a loss Away to Cologne in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in amongst that run, so not really 9 on the spin:

Rangers 4 Airdrie 1
Rangers 2 Motherwell 1
Rangers 2 Aberdeen 1
Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 2
Motherwell 0 Rangers 2
Rangers 2 Albion Rovers 1
Rangers 2 Morton 0
Hearts 0 Rangers 4
Aberdeen 1 Rangers 1

We followed that with another 12 wins on the bounce by the way.
Struth just scraping by in some of those results is unforgivable.

Seriously though, we've scored 9 and conceded 1 in the 4 games since Gio took over, we've never been behind and we've managed 3 clean sheets out of 4 games. If that isn't cause for cautious optimism then I'm not sure what is.

Yes, as I remember it, Davie White was indeed sacked when we were top of the league. Wonder what might have happened if we'd kept him on.
Sacked Jim Forest and George Mclean and followed it up with sacking Davie White within 34 months, two decisions that changed our History, IMO

Cheers Mate, I think I may be getting mixed up with Scot Symon

Sacked Jim Forest and George Mclean and followed it up with sacking Davie White within 34 months, two decisions that changed our History, IMO
Aye, if only somebody had managed to stick the ball in the net against Berwick and Mr. Wallace that infamous day, things might have been very different. Still, we are where we are - top of the league - and long may it continue!

This is just plain wrong. Since Hearts at home (1-1) we’ve been steadily improving, the improvement was there to see in the underlying numbers. The numbers are starting to match the results now, as is usually the case. Gio is doing well & is improving on what SG was doing prior to his departure.

We’re creating much more & conceding less & less chances.
Anyone with eyes can see, and a brain to understand he’s making the changes gerrard was afraid to make

See post #21. White won his first 9 league games in charge. There was a defeat to Cologne in there though so not 9 on the spin, just the 4 before the 3-1 loss to the Germans. Struth, unsurprisingly, holds the record at 8 (see post #29).
Sorry VB, but I make it 5 straight wins at the start for Davie White.

before we lost 1-3 in the return game v Cologne.

If you are going on League Games only
White started incredibly well and went on to WIN 19 of his first 20 League Games in charge,
amassing a staggering 39 out of a possible 40 points.
The only 'blemish' being a 2-2 draw at the Piggery on Jan 2nd,
which happened to be our THIRD game in only FOUR days.

If you are going on Domestic Games only, the 0-1 loss to Hearts in the Scottish Cup (replay), was the only defeat White suffered in his first 30 Domestic games in charge, and that defeat came after we were forced to play 4 games in 8 days

Prior to that defeat v Aberdeen on the last day of the season,
White had gone 25 League games undefeated.
This, added to Scot Symon's last 12 League games in charge (undefeated) actually saw Rangers set a new Scottish record of 37 consecutive League Games undefeated.

The 61 points collected in that 67-68 season would have won the Championship in 11 of the previous 12 seasons
This was in fact the highest percentage of points won by any Rangers side since Bill Struth's first season, back in 1920-21.

Back