Hagi is a genuine Ranger

Northampton_Loyalist

I am 40 odds and grew up on Sensible soccer with Finidi George, George Weah, Hristo Stoichkov and Georgi Hagi.

this lad's father is football royalty and anyone who grew up in the same era as myself will know just how good a player he was, domestically and internationally.

His lad has no end of talent too, he has vision and clever feet and while he lacks for a touch of pace, his ability to read the game and position himself well more than makes up for it. He has no fear when it comes to taking a strike and he will take a man on when he feels he can beat him.

None of that deserves the title of the thread though. The reason I say he is a Ranger is not because he is the finished article, some superstar player with the world at his feet, it is because he has not rested on his father's name at all, he has backed himself to come to a 'smaller' league where talent is overlooked in favour of brawn, it is because he takes dull knocks, sore ones, little stamps on the toe and fly elbows for 90 minutes week after week and each and every time he gets right back up, dusts himself off and goes again. it is because he does not always play well, or even nearly well, but he will always, always play with his head up, make himself available for a pass and keep coming back for more, keep trying something, even when it is not coming off for him. He does not hide and he always wants the ball, even if his last 5 passes have been out of the park.

Being a Ranger is not about simply being the best and out-performing teams week in and week out, it is about making sure that if you fail, it is not through lack of heart, desire or effort. Skill plays it's part, obviously, and the lad has enough to make it, but the crux of being a Ranger is what is in the heart, not the toes and that is the reason that Bomber can stand shoulder to shoulder with Laudrup, why McCall does not need to look up to Gazza, why Novo can look Butcher in the eyes. Slightly less talent, more than made up for in application and desire.

Young Hagi has had some pretty poor spells in terms of form. He has been in and out of games and looked like nothing would come off for him. He has pulled himself back into form and won us points with goals.

The lad will absolutely do for me and will be a tremendous asset once some bits of his game are ironed out.

I am 40 odds and grew up on Sensible soccer with Finidi George, George Weah, Hristo Stoichkov and Georgi Hagi.

this lad's father is football royalty and anyone who grew up in the same era as myself will know just how good a player he was, domestically and internationally.

His lad has no end of talent too, he has vision and clever feet and while he lacks for a touch of pace, his ability to read the game and position himself well more than makes up for it. He has no fear when it comes to taking a strike and he will take a man on when he feels he can beat him.

None of that deserves the title of the thread though. The reason I say he is a Ranger is not because he is the finished article, some superstar player with the world at his feet, it is because he has not rested on his father's name at all, he has backed himself to come to a 'smaller' league where talent is overlooked in favour of brawn, it is because he takes dull knocks, sore ones, little stamps on the toe and fly elbows for 90 minutes week after week and each and every time he gets right back up, dusts himself off and goes again. it is because he does not always play well, or even nearly well, but he will always, always play with his head up, make himself available for a pass and keep coming back for more, keep trying something, even when it is not coming off for him. He does not hide and he always wants the ball, even if his last 5 passes have been out of the park.

Being a Ranger is not about simply being the best and out-performing teams week in and week out, it is about making sure that if you fail, it is not through lack of heart, desire or effort. Skill plays it's part, obviously, and the lad has enough to make it, but the crux of being a Ranger is what is in the heart, not the toes and that is the reason that Bomber can stand shoulder to shoulder with Laudrup, why McCall does not need to look up to Gazza, why Novo can look Butcher in the eyes. Slightly less talent, more than made up for in application and desire.

Young Hagi has had some pretty poor spells in terms of form. He has been in and out of games and looked like nothing would come off for him. He has pulled himself back into form and won us points with goals.

The lad will absolutely do for me and will be a tremendous asset once some bits of his game are ironed out.
The lad is brave, bright and brilliant.

He is a tremendous player.

The overload on the right in the second half with hagi, Joe and tav was tremendous at times only let down by poor touch from tav once or twice.

Took the goal really well & pleased for him to again be the match winner with a bit of skill.

We’ve been crying out for a player who’ll make space for himself around the edge of the box and shoot. It’s the one thing that we lack at times when nothing else seems to be coming off for us. Hagi’s that man, and also provides that bit of flair and vision. He’s also your killer pass when required. Gets stuck in and keeps on going. Great attitude too. He’s a Ranger alright.

I’m a big fan, his desire to put the effort in is top drawer. Much like Kent, the work rate for flair players is exceptional.

The statement made is he has no pace and it’s a requirement for the modern game is bullshit IMO the kid is technically superb he has a great awareness and ability to make things happen. He has vision he has a beautiful range of passing the type of player who will get you off your seat.
He has come to a new country where it’s difficult for him because due to COVID his family or friends can’t just hop on a plane and come over so he is on his own I know the club will offer him all the help they can

Reminds me of my old Grandpa when I asked what makes a good Rangers player and he simply clenched his fist and said “character”.
Think he may have nicked it off of big Jock Wallace right enough

His stats this season speak for themselves with 13 assists and 6 goals having not played for a couple of months as well. Proving to be an important player.

Good post OP. I tell you how high I rate L.Hagi. I believe in a year or 18 months he will be our most important player by a distance.

He should be starting every week with his assists & goals recently.

Keep it up young Hagi.

Well said mate

He's only just turned 22 and has contributed significantly since joining us from the very start. Braga, Hibs, County and again tonight.

Another player who is learning from SG, and his staff will be some player in time to come, he has it all for me and I will enjoy seeing him in our colours for awhile yet.

Took his goal very well tonight. I think he's toughened up a bit since he joined aswell.

What i like most is he just goes out there and gives us his all. What he may lack in pace, he makes up for in quality, energy and effort.

Pretty poor spells in form? The expectations of our fanbase may have decided that.
He arrived last January and was one of the only shining lights before the season ended with vital goals and assists. We as a fanbase decided he was in poor form this season and felt validated as Gerrard left him out early season although his 'numbers' were still acceptable, I agree with a lot of what you say in your post but can we at least let the guy get a couple of years into his contract before we start stating that he's had some pretty poor spells of form.

No offence intended

His mentality is spot on. Sometimes he will be tackled, fouled, misplace pass or fail to control ball but he does not go in to his shell or stop trying. Talent plus effort and correct attitude will go a long way to making you a success. I hope he stays and develops with us as long as possible we are good for him and he for us. The name Hagi could be too much pressure to live up to but he does not have to be as good as his father few would be. Hagi jr I am sure will have a fine career and if he leaves us unless he runs contract down I suspect we will get a fee that allows us to strengthen.

he's improving with every match, and the fact he's willing to take the constant knocks and get back up again and do what he does, shows he's class.

Coming to play his football in Scotland could be a good thing for him. He will learn how the dark art of kluggers and cheats operate in the world of football. Kicked at every turn and vilified by the media.
Just like every other Rangers player.

What a tremendous post NL

I agree with every word.

I remember the criticism coming from his previous club fans/media was that he was work shy. It’s hard to believe!

His potential is massive, we are seeing the best of him at the moment but i really think we could potentially see much more.

His potential is massive, we are seeing the best of him at the moment but i really think we could potentially see much more.

Our football club provides what a young ambitious, talented player needs which is pressure and expectation.

You learn how to embrace the pressure playing for Rangers you can play anywhere imo.

One of my favourite players and has been since he signed. Great post.

Better than Kent perhaps?
I’ll say “no” because he doesn’t always have two or three racing to be directly in front of him.
That might be the answer to who the opposition coaches fear the bigger danger is.
Back to the main point though and Hagi, I agree with the op.
Outstanding footballer who is making a massive contribution to our current position.

It's been a real treat, although bumpy, watching this squad take shape. The last 3 windows have been sensational, the class of Hagi one of the highlights. The precision and incisiveness in how we do business is a breath of fresh air. Long may it continue.

He’s only going to get better.

His dad was right when he visited to watch him play in Europe.

His son is at exactly the right club for this stage in his development

Bang on mate. His dad knows the game inside out.

He knows his son will flourish in one of the top leagues by his mid 20's, but right now he learning a winning mentality, where 2nd is as good as last.

He is also toughening up and learning the art of bouncing straight back up and going again after another hammer thrower has scythed you down.

The boy is exactly where he needs to be at this stage of his career.

He’s genuinely got the potential to be a top class player, he’s certainly the brightest star for me in the team and I’d have him playing everyday just for that one moment of sheer class like last night.

The wee man is absolutely brilliant . Goals, assists and cracking work ethic as well as a mental toughness, which is so important to have if you play for rangers.

His auld dagi must be proud as Fu ck too.

Great post. I agree entirely. He’s a very talented lad with a fantastic attitude, a team player with a work ethic. I love the fact he never gives up, always gets up and goes again after being kicked up in the air. Allied to his two footed ability, vision for a forward pass, obvious skills and clever movement, we have a right good prospect on our hands. I say prospect because he’s up young and is going to get better with the good coaching he’s getting at Rangers. I’m delighted he is at our club.

Very talented footballer, gives us something different and has been key to unlocking the low block we face in most games. A wee bit of the young Durrant about him maybe?

He has end product. He is a real goal threat and the best in the league at putting chances on a plate for others. He should start more for me.

I liked the description of his cross for Tav in the first half "that was like a Tavernier cross to Tavernier". One thing annoying me though, what was the song that played when he scored. I know it, but just can't name it and it's doing my nut in.

Back