Hagi last night

I thought he had a good game last night & you can't complain about lack of effort. He gives 100% every game. On the end of a few hefty challenges from that shower of thugs , but kept coming back for more.

I thought he was very poor in the first half, kept giving the ball away and he made a hospital pass to Kamara and I thought the guy in front of me was going to pass out he was shouting about it that much.

Better second half, so many shots that he was having blocked.

I like Hagi but I don’t think he’s as good as people make him out to be within our support. He would never start in our strongest 11 in my opinion.

Far, far too much is made of his pace. He's not as slow as some make out, but he's certainly not quick like a Kent or Sakala. Not many are.

He's the best player we've got for picking out that through ball in a tight situation or playing that quick first time pass that keeps a counter attack moving. In games like last night where St Johnstone kept a load of players deep defensively his link up is important.

I think Hagi is a great player who is judged a little unfairly as he's expected to be consistent which not many players are at the age of 23. A lot of the criticism that's aimed at him is very similar to how people criticised Aribo and Kent not too long ago, who are a couple of years older. I really believe Hagi is improving all the time and will stay for a spell yet, where he'll have that 'breakout season' and really kick on.

I think we're certain to lose Aribo, Kent and Morelos in the next two transfer windows. If any of them stay, I'll be very happy, but I think they all want the bigger challenge elsewhere. Keeping Hagi will be of importance if that happens.

The boy has great ability albeit lacking a bit of pace. Thought he contributed well last night but must have had 8-10 shots blocked by last ditch tackles.

I do wonder about people saying he won't get in in his best position. What if Aribo gets injured long term (let's hope not of course) ? He's a great backup for that spot.

Has a lot of shots and crosses blocked because he’s not got the pace to get away from the defender. As said above, if we had to sell someone this window such as Kamara, Aribo, Kent or Hagi then I know who I’d want to leave.
That pace-issue that so many have with Hagi is beyond me. He is not any slower than Kamara, Arfield and even Aribo. In fact, Aribo looked rather sluggish yesterday every now and then, before having a quick burst of speed. But is he any "quicker" than Hagi?

I was indeed wondering, why we did not sub either Morelos, Hagi or Aribo with Wright or Bacuna, as all three looked rather finished from the 75th onwards.

IMHO, Aribo and Hagi should be in a creative central midfield role and run into spaces vacated by strikers and "wingers". Hagi is sure no "pacy right winger" in the way we are used to wingers. He has a fine football brain and quick thinking, similar to Roofe, Wright ... and Morelos - at times. Others have not ... or at least are not as quick-thinking.

Yesterday we had de facto no real wing-play in the first half, as we tried to batter our way through the packed middle of defence ... and Kent`s and Tav`s attempted crosses way not getting past their first man or somewhat wayward. The return of Arfield (albeit in a deeper role last night) has given our midfield some much needed attacking drive. Still, IMHO, against teams like yesterday, we should utilize our flanks better ... and keep the likes of Aribo, Hagi and Arfield through the middle.

He's alright basically, and that's the issue....can be great and can also look he's a natural rugby player who hasn't seen a football before.

He is probably first one in line to be sold if decent offers come in.

He gets us a lot of free kicks, has a killer pass, thought he did well against a very well drilled side, until we got the goal just before half time it had the feel of "one of those games"

I thought he played well last night, was always looking for the ball and making good runs. I think playing a run of full 90 minutes is doing him well.

I think we overvalue our players, tbh. The fact we have such few bids and not sold anyone of note would suggest that.

6-7m would be a good return, imo. We can lose him without a massive impact.

He’s a good player though - don’t get me wrong.
Agreed.

I think our fans - and Ross Wilson - massively overvalue some of our players at times.

In terms of selling players at the right time in order to generate some cash, we have been a shambles.

Additionally, clubs look at our balance sheet and know that there is no need for them to offer top dollar for our players.

I'd like to see him in the number 10 position in the 4-2-3-1. I wonder if the manager will start him there on Saturday and protect Aribo given that a booking would suspend him from the Old Firm?

Gets a hard time when infact is one of our best players. Unnecessarily gets a lack of pace labeled at him when it's never caused us any issues. The thing is when he gets the ball he is the one who tries to speed up play and play with more purpose. He constantly tries something which is great to see. In my opinion he should be playing in Arfield's position. He's a completely different conversation though.

That pace-issue that so many have with Hagi is beyond me. He is not any slower than Kamara, Arfield and even Aribo. In fact, Aribo looked rather sluggish yesterday every now and then, before having a quick burst of speed. But is he any "quicker" than Hagi?

I was indeed wondering, why we did not sub either Morelos, Hagi or Aribo with Wright or Bacuna, as all three looked rather finished from the 75th onwards.

IMHO, Aribo and Hagi should be in a creative central midfield role and run into spaces vacated by strikers and "wingers". Hagi is sure no "pacy right winger" in the way we are used to wingers. He has a fine football brain and quick thinking, similar to Roofe, Wright ... and Morelos - at times. Others have not ... or at least are not as quick-thinking.

Yesterday we had de facto no real wing-play in the first half, as we tried to batter our way through the packed middle of defence ... and Kent`s and Tav`s attempted crosses way not getting past their first man or somewhat wayward. The return of Arfield (albeit in a deeper role last night) has given our midfield some much needed attacking drive. Still, IMHO, against teams like yesterday, we should utilize our flanks better ... and keep the likes of Aribo, Hagi and Arfield through the middle.
The pace issue so many have with Hagi is pretty simple mate, we can all see he has no pace!!! How can you not see that? Seriously….? The reason he is tackled or has shots and passes blocked so often is because he hasn’t got the burst of speed even over a few yards to clear his man.

Hagi made some great runs last night into acres of space in front of goal that weren’t spotted. He would have been clean through if the correct ball was played to him.

Going against the grain, but I think Hagi is quality, and has a vision that few (if any) of our players do. He also works as hard as anyone else, and is deceptively clever in how he blocks opposition passing channels etc with his movement.

He brings a lot of guile to the team and I'd keep him unless we get a monster bid.

Absolutely needs to play in a number 10 role to be most effective.

I thought he played well but with little end product. A lot of shots blocked. I think he needs to offer a bit more.

Thought he was good.

Could have had a couple of goals, works his bollocks off constantly winning the ball back, splits them in bits for our second goal.

Seems to just have loads of shtick attached to him that just gets said regardless of how he plays.
He was poor in the first half.

Don’t think his work rate can ever be questioned.

Agreed.

I think our fans - and Ross Wilson - massively overvalue some of our players at times.

In terms of selling players at the right time in order to generate some cash, we have been a shambles.

Additionally, clubs look at our balance sheet and know that there is no need for them to offer top dollar for our players.
It’s the other way about, too many fans don’t value our players at a level they should be.

Hagi seems to have started more games under GvB who appears to see more in Hagi than Gerrard did.this season. Maybe GVB sees Hagi in a different role other than a 10 and it may take some more time to get used to that position. I thought he works hard for the team and has the decisive pass in him. Seems to be a target for the hammer throwers too and is fouled quite a lot which interrupts his game.

Arfield, Hagi in particular and even Morelos seem.to have found a new lease of life under GvB. I also thought that Bassey has undergone great improvement with the current regime. There now appears to be a new.dimension to his game in that he is not afraid to charge forward from defence on.a run and have a go. If Goldson goes, I now feel more comfortable with a Bassey - Helander pairing at the back.

Hagi seems to have started more games under GvB who appears to see more in Hagi than Gerrard did.this season. Maybe GVB sees Hagi in a different role other than a 10 and it may take some more time to get used to that position. I thought he works hard for the team and has the decisive pass in him. Seems to be a target for the hammer throwers too and is fouled quite a lot which interrupts his game.

Arfield, Hagi in particular and even Morelos seem.to have found a new lease of life under GvB. I also thought that Bassey has undergone great improvement with the current regime. There now appears to be a new.dimension to his game in that he is not afraid to charge forward from defence on.a run and have a go. If Goldson goes, I now feel more comfortable with a Bassey - Helander pairing at the back.
Two left footed centre backs is a big no no

Love the boy but if we’re going to continue to use him at right mid then he’s the one I’d cash in on if it meant keeping others.

Two left footed centre backs is a big no no
I totally agree but if we don"t get a new right footed Centre Half in ( or we do and he takes time to settle in) it may be Helander - Bassey pairing albeit temporally. GvB seems not afraid to play the odd player out of position I.e Patterson.as subsitute left back. Granted his choice was restricted with Barasic going off injured last night.

Last edited:
Gets a hard time when infact is one of our best players. Unnecessarily gets a lack of pace labeled at him when it's never caused us any issues. The thing is when he gets the ball he is the one who tries to speed up play and play with more purpose. He constantly tries something which is great to see. In my opinion he should be playing in Arfield's position. He's a completely different conversation though.
He’s not one of our best players mate, I think we need to be realistic here.

I thought he was really good last night, what he lacks in pace he makes up for in quickness of thought. He can see round corners and never gives up. He also took some punishment from their players but got up for more.

I think we overvalue our players, tbh. The fact we have such few bids and not sold anyone of note would suggest that.

6-7m would be a good return, imo. We can lose him without a massive impact.

He’s a good player though - don’t get me wrong.
Want it reported beginning of October we had agreed a feed with Lazio of something like 12.5m euros, sure I remember it being reported here in Oz that it was a done deal and he's away in January.

I thought he was really good last night, what he lacks in pace he makes up for in quickness of thought. He can see round corners and never gives up. He also took some punishment from their players but got up for more.
He never hides to be fair to him, always willing to take the ball and always gets right back up after getting clattered.

But, sadly, we need more. The difference between him and Sakala out right - based on what we’ve seen - is as clear as day.

a split second delay in a lot of tings he does, particularly shooting, he needed to get the shots away last night when cutting inside, same thing Aribo has rectified and those few goals now lead to confidence and ultimately better performances all over the park.

Worked hard. Low on any end product.

We're seeing less of the incisiveness from him this season.
GvB is getting massive credit for the turnaround in our performances since he came in.
Does he get the blame for this?
By the way, Hagi was excellent last night.

Definitely grew into the game and played well especially 2nd half. Could have ended up with a hat trick on another night

a lot wasn't coming off for him but barring one lapse of concentration he worked his socks off
This for me. His work rate last night was exceptional. Not a right winger. You just know the minute we sell him he will become a superstar.

That's been the story of almost all his performances under Gio - Sparta Prague aside.
I've said before in Europe I wouldn't have him out the team. He has some fantastic attributes but he needs to do things quicker. When you are playing a team with 5 across the back and a defensive midfield then you can't take three touches at the edge of the box before shooting. You have to get that shot away quicker.

For every piece of good play he'll then produce 3 or 4 moments where you think he's never seen a ball before. Frustrating at times but has something within that 1 piece of play that not many, if any, of our other midfielders have.

He is the one player who hasn't seen a lift in his levels since Gio has come in.

Has tons of ability and I can't fault him for his willingness to work. He offers plenty. But any suspicions I had that he had 2 or 3 more levels in him are fading a bit.

Happy he is a Rangers player, he will do plenty between now and him leaving that gets you off your seat. But to me he doesn't quite look to be fitting into the Gio revolution so far.

I would really like to see him have a shot in the Arfield role mind you.

Yet Gio has started him in all but one game.

I am completely surprised at some comments from his game last night, and it leaves me wondering if people are either trying to make him the new whipping boy (for no reason), or really don't understand football.

Hagi is a player who won't make the simple pass, he will try to make things happen, he will make the riskier pass option to try unlock defences, he will take up positions that if he can get on the half turn the other team have to chase back, but he might lose the ball trying to receive it in under pressure situations.

He is not a luxury player, his work rate shows that, he tracks back and won the ball on numerous occasions.

He attracts players, creates space, and was unlucky that the defenders made some really good blocks or he would have had a couple goals.

The boy is a player.

From his standards I thought he was rotten the first half and better in the second.

Few cross balls over you just knew he was never getting to.

I mentioned in the match thread that I thought that he had a very good game. Great work rate from him and he was unlucky not to score.
Indeed, click on a Hagi thread, and read the usual regurgitated stuff by posters who've long since made their mind up on him. Aribo was clearly man of the match last night, however in what was a very good team performance, Hagi was one of those who contributed to make it so.

I am completely surprised at some comments from his game last night, and it leaves me wondering if people are either trying to make him the new whipping boy (for no reason), or really don't understand football.

Hagi is a player who won't make the simple pass, he will try to make things happen, he will make the riskier pass option to try unlock defences, he will take up positions that if he can get on the half turn the other team have to chase back, but he might lose the ball trying to receive it in under pressure situations.

He is not a luxury player, his work rate shows that, he tracks back and won the ball on numerous occasions.

He attracts players, creates space, and was unlucky that the defenders made some really good blocks or he would have had a couple goals.

The boy is a player.
I’m equally as surprised by anyone saying he was excellent.

He was alright in the second half, woeful in the first and done nothing to convince me that Sakala isn’t a better option.

Back