Hagi last night

Or livi, dundee and Lyon, so half of them, and Livi was to bring on Patterson to see out the game.

GvB is consistently picking Hagi and giving him more game time than Gerrard.
I trust the manager mate, im just not seeing the hype with Hagi especially when he's playing wide right.

Flatters to deceive most of the time

He can’t play wide zero pace

He wouldn’t be in my team unless aribo was injured

I think he’s far too greedy at times. For the most part we have players we wish would shoot more but don’t (particularly Kamara), Hagi’s the opposite, he just shoots on site at times but his efforts from outside the box are largely rotten.

Hagi made some great runs last night into acres of space in front of goal that weren’t spotted. He would have been clean through if the correct ball was played to him.
For one or two seconds then he would dither get caught and his shot would be blocked

And Repeat

Don’t see it with him, read somewhere that he only has 1 goal and 1 assist, don’t know how accurate it is, if true it shows how poor he’s been.

I’d sell him in January and bring in a proper winger, you could probably get 6/7 million for him, no team would go higher imo. Just doesn’t produce enough.

Think he trys too hard at times and playing him out wide is not the best way to use him.
Undoubtedly very talented but a bit of a enigma at times.

We’ll only miss him when he’s gone. Those saying we should sell him in January do you really think Scott Wright is an adequate replacement?

Also remember Aribo will likely be away in the summer. Hagi should stay!

he seems to think he's got more time on the ball than he really actually has during games, especially in the league

Don’t see it with him, read somewhere that he only has 1 goal and 1 assist, don’t know how accurate it is, if true it shows how poor he’s been.

I’d sell him in January and bring in a proper winger, you could probably get 6/7 million for him, no team would go higher imo. Just doesn’t produce enough.

He has 3 goals and 4 assists. So what you've read is not very accurate.

Have you ever heard of Davie Cooper of Rangers or John Robertson who played for Nottingham Forest, and won a European Champions Cup?
Neither were considered as pacy players but both were truly outstanding.
This idea that Hagi‘s perceived lack of pace is a drawback to being an effective winger, doesn’t stand up to historical evidence.
That said, I believe he’ll be better as a “ten” but also reckon he’s under appreciated in his current role.
It would appear that van Bronckhorst and Gerrard before him, agree.
There was little wrong with his performance last night.
In fairness mate you have named two players who played the game in a different era.

Saying an argument doesn't stand up to historical evidence then plumbing history to find two players to make your argument doesn't really stack up.

Not many slow wingers nowadays.

I can understand him being on for a game like last night where we would play a packed defence, in an open game against decent opposition where he would be expected to chase down balls and get in behind a defence? Not so much.

To give the lad some credit and not post too negatively he did chase down and win a ball from O'Halloran last night, no mean feat!

He has 3 goals and 4 assists. So what you've read is not very accurate.
Not to mention if you look past the numbers, the passes he makes in the build up to goals that don’t get recognised by ‘stats’, the pass round the corner last night in the build up to Kent’s goal I don’t think anyone else in the team plays

Well at least you have a couple of days to work on your input.

TBF most of the content for the thread after this weekends game is already in place to a fair few who will contribute, very little about how he actually played in the game, but just make general over sweeping stereotypes about lack of pace, not a winger, should be sold, doesn't fit in the system, things that are going to be said if people have watched the game or not TBH rather than comments about how he actually played or what he did in the game...

Last edited:
We’ll only miss him when he’s gone. Those saying we should sell him in January do you really think Scott Wright is an adequate replacement?

Also remember Aribo will likely be away in the summer. Hagi should stay!
You really think Hagi could replace Aribo ?

You really think Hagi could replace Aribo ?

As a creative force who changes games in our favor, course he could, he is the best part of 2 years younger then Aribo and in raw numbers alone last seasons put down a season Aribo will be doing well to replicate this season.

Is football all about numbers, course not, but Hagi like Aribo does give more than simply stats and can influence games in ways even Aribo can't, players often tend to play football in different ways, would it look the same as it does under Aribo likely not, but could be equally lethal if not more so.

For one or two seconds then he would dither get caught and his shot would be blocked

And Repeat
Mean cracking runs in on goal that weren’t seen by player in possession of the ball at the time.

Agree, he wants more time on the ball to line it up perfectly for a shot allowing opposition more time to block or tackle.

Last edited:
I am a big fan. Thought he was OK first half and played well in the second.

What I would say though is that he's not the finished article and we kind of need more consistency. He's not a winger either and shouldn't be getting coached as one.

I like him, hard working and tidy footballer with a good touch and brain, he can be too slow in certain situations and dwells on the ball longer than he should at times. As others have said might be the one to cash in on in Jan.

Have you ever heard of Davie Cooper of Rangers or John Robertson who played for Nottingham Forest, and won a European Champions Cup?
Neither were considered as pacy players but both were truly outstanding.
This idea that Hagi‘s perceived lack of pace is a drawback to being an effective winger, doesn’t stand up to historical evidence.
That said, I believe he’ll be better as a “ten” but also reckon he’s under appreciated in his current role.
It would appear that van Bronckhorst and Gerrard before him, agree.
There was little wrong with his performance last night.
Robertson looked slow but was fast. Cooper had more ability. Hagis performance varies significantly during a match. He goes from excellent and way ahead of others to getting his wires crossed. He has more vision than others which might be part of the problem and sometimes fails to execute - not sure why it is. He will however continue to improve as he relaxes a bit more. Possibly works better with certain players.

As a creative force who changes games in our favor, course he could, he is the best part of 2 years younger then Aribo and in raw numbers alone last seasons put down a season Aribo will be doing well to replicate this season.

Is football all about numbers, course not, but Hagi like Aribo does give more than simply stats and can influence games in ways even Aribo can't, players often tend to play football in different ways, would it look the same as it does under Aribo likely not, but could be equally lethal if not more so.
Sorry mate, he is not in the same league as Aribo, i've yet to see Hagi influence a game.

The people thinking Hagi isn’t contributing strongly are likely to be the same ones that thought Alfie wasn’t doing enough last year. They’re not seeing the bigger picture.

For large chunks of last night we were playing something close to a 4141. Hagi comfortably can play as one of those two central midfielders. Arfield was there last night but isn’t getting any younger. Aribo we will struggle to hold onto. Hagi is a different type of player again, but if we want someone capable of creating on the edge of the opponent’s box / back to goal / getting kicked all over the park and winning free kicks then the lad is worth persevering with. Is he a right winger? No. Can he contribute strongly in advanced midfield areas? Of course he can.

He cut in about 3/4 times and each shot was blocked because his feet can’t move quick enough to gain a yard on the player.

Much be extremely frustrating for him as he obviously has one of the best football brains in the team, but his physical attributes really let him down.

He won’t play at a really high level due to this.

You can't even mind the Braga game mate naw, or even the OF at Ibrox at the start of the year, I mean that's two for you and they were massive games in our recent history
Of course i remember them, the Braga game Hagi scored 2, the second was the free kick that took a huge deflection, Airbo scored this one
The old firm game we were poor for half an hour then came into it and dominated the second, again cant recall Hagi being a standout.

He’s the guy I’d cash in on in January tbh he’s the one we can afford to lose that would get us money
Sadly this is true.

I really rate him, I think he’s a very clever footballer. He isn’t commanding games in the way that we need though and ultimately the surname will always attract transfer interest on top of the lad’s own abilities.
I’d rather keep hold of him but if it comes to it…

Of course i remember them, the Braga game Hagi scored 2, the second was the free kick that took a huge deflection, Airbo scored this one
The old firm game we were poor for half an hour then came into it and dominated the second, again csnt recall Hagi being a standout.

Ahh struck me you didn't because you said you couldn't remember him influencing a game, I mean in your post you have literally pointed out the influence he had in the game. :)):)):))

Wonder what could have happened at half time to cause us to dominate the second half, what ever could have happened at half time to cause that.

giphy.gif

Flatters to deceive most of the time

He can’t play wide zero pace

He wouldn’t be in my team unless aribo was injured
I agree looks like hes trying to hard during games i think having no pace affects his game he just cant go past defenders hampers his game at times.

Ahh struck me you didn't because you said you couldn't remember him influencing a game, I mean in your post you have literally pointed out the influence he had in the game. :)):)):))

Wonder what could have happened at half time to cause us to dominate the second half, what ever could have happened at half time to cause that.

giphy.gif
Really influenced that old firm game you mentioned, didn't he ? He was on the bench and never came on ! Balagun MOTM.

Lacks pace but last night he did manage to get away from a couple, the chance he cut inside beating 2 People and his shot got blocked was top drawer, only a class piece of defending stopped him scoring there, loads of people really undervalue him I think forgetting he’s 2/3 years younger than the likes of aribo, kamara, Kent etc so there’s still room for plenty of development, reckon it would be daft to sell him at this stage hel be worth so much more In a year or two
and what’s stopping him playing the role arfield did last night in the future?

I thought he put in a great shift. The defensive part of his game was really good. He was always willing to put the boot in to break up play. He made a brilliant recover in the second half when he chased back to his own half and won the ball back. He was also the link in transition at Kent's goal.

He could use some composure at times, and you never know if he's going to get a good connection or sklaf it. But i thought he was one of our best performers last night.

His pass is the spark that makes that second goal, coupled with great work by Morelos and Aribo of course. But it's Hagi who has switched the move in an instant from measured passing into an explosive attack that their defence couldn't cope with.

Hagi's contributions are often this way. One great pass, a goal out of nowhere, and a lot of effort, amid a number of mistakes and false starts. I understand the frustration with Hagi. I thought this season he would start showing an ability to really boss a game consistently and pull strings all over the park. To be fair to him, Aribo's development is keeping him out of his best position. But I think when people focus on how much more they want out of him in a game, they lose sight of the number of times his contributions make a vital difference to us. If we got a great offer, I'd take it, but some on here are too easy to dismiss what Hagi has given us.

In fairness mate you have named two players who played the game in a different era.

Saying an argument doesn't stand up to historical evidence then plumbing history to find two players to make your argument doesn't really stack up.

Not many slow wingers nowadays.

I can understand him being on for a game like last night where we would play a packed defence, in an open game against decent opposition where he would be expected to chase down balls and get in behind a defence? Not so much.

To give the lad some credit and not post too negatively he did chase down and win a ball from O'Halloran last night, no mean feat!
Who are these fast wingers you’re thinking of?
Please don’t mention players who are fast but can’t control a football.

giphy.gif
Hivs on Boxing Day he got the only goal and winner. Feb last year v hibs got the winner as well.

Robertson looked slow but was fast. Cooper had more ability. Hagis performance varies significantly during a match. He goes from excellent and way ahead of others to getting his wires crossed. He has more vision than others which might be part of the problem and sometimes fails to execute - not sure why it is. He will however continue to improve as he relaxes a bit more. Possibly works better with certain players.
John Robertson was not a fast player, other than the first stride to get his cross in.
Your description of Hagi fits Cooper to a tee as well!
I think you’re right with Hagi’s vision.
He sees an opportunity that others don’t and it makes him look silly.
To balance this, I’ve seen Arfield make good runs into space and it isn’t utilised.
Mind you, the pass required for some of these runs from a wide position might be a big ask.
Back to Hagi and to me he has many, many more positives than negatives in his game.
One big one being that, like Kent, he’s always prepared to make the mistake because the rewards are massive when it come off.

Back