Heart on Hand Statement on Forthcoming Daily Record Story About Offensive Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once lost it and called Angela Haggerty a stupid cow on Twitter, thats about it. Hopefully ‘cow’ isn’t now classed as sectarian.

I do not disagree with much of that. I would say it is obvious that the DR story was driven by revenge for this paying for media access approach, I don’t think H&H get plastered all over the front page unless the DR are trying to settle a score. It wasn’t just because they are Rangers fans.

and that is ok?

Are you condoning the DR going after individuals affiliated to rangers by a business deal because it can then hurt rangers?

look at the cohort of the followers of the ‘whistleblower’ - sectarian journalist member of nuj, spiers, Stewart, mcgivern,

the jealousy may have been a driver but the fact they are rangers meant they viewed the lads as fair game.

stv are an official media partner too, as is FF, where is the attack on them?

H&H may be their weapon of choice, but their target is the club. There are two main reasons for this.

1 - A lot of the mainstream media were not happy that H&H, FF etc were given accreditation by the club last year.

2 - The ‘official partner’ scheme grates with many of them. Added to which, the DR was banned from our press conferences etc already.

Note how all their pronouncements focus on the ‘official partner’ thing, without explaining that this is a paid position. I wonder if they have scrolled through the owner of 32 Red’s tweets?

Cammy and Hoggy are collateral damage in their attempts to harm Rangers

and that is ok?

Are you condoning the DR going after individuals affiliated to rangers by a business deal because it can then hurt rangers?
Of course it’s not ok! It is morally reprehensible and entirely hypocritical by the DR.

Let's be honest, the vast majority of stuff said by rangers or celtic fans to each other is no worse than things said in other football rivalries. Do we think West ham / Millwall or Man United / Leeds, or Galatasary/ Fenerbahce or Sparta / Slavia etc are all nice and cosy and friendly on social media? Of course not, and it will be very similar to Rangers and Celtic fans. However what we have here is an entire industry built on the back of this rivalry that generates income from finding new ways to be offended by one side of this rivalry and a political party that is working them like puppets to further their cause.

Many of the tweets uncovered by Edgar are worse than anything said by the H&H guys, in the context of football rivalry, and go way beyond that into actual grounds of socially unacceptable comments. So %^*& the lot of them.

And make it be a lesson to everybody about social media. No idea why anybody has public social media accounts. It's not like talking to your mates in the pub, where your comments are forgotten the next morning. They are there to haunt you forever.

I agree with you mate. In my ideal world people wouldn't give two thoughts about most of this stuff. And in real life compared to online I still think the majority of people are much sounder about these sorts of things.

But in this instance it's a case of giving as good as you're getting so fair play to the H&H boys.

H&H may be their weapon of choice, but their target is the club. There are two main reasons for this.

1 - A lot of the mainstream media were not happy that H&H, FF etc were given accreditation by the club last year.

2 - The ‘official partner’ scheme grates with many of them. Added to which, the DR was banned from our press conferences etc already.

Note how all their pronouncements focus on the ‘official partner’ thing, without explaining that this is a paid position. I wonder if they have scrolled through the owner of 32 Red’s tweets?

Cammy and Hoggy are collateral damage in their attempts to harm Rangers

what the record have done doesn’t even make sense. Did they really think attacking the club like that would help them get access again?

I agree with you mate. In my ideal world people wouldn't give two thoughts about most of this stuff. And in real life compared to online I still think the majority of people are much sounder about these sorts of things.

But in this instance it's a case of giving as good as you're getting so fair play to the H&H boys.

And for the record - I have mates from the dark side and we all know what each other get up to. We don't sit and get offended at each other, and hate each other about it though because we're sensible enough to realise it's all done in the context of simply winding up supporters of the other team.

It's when social media and the internet come in to play, that's when people seem to lose their minds. Some folk just can't take it and love to act like they're morally superior, and pretend that they've never used a bad word in their life. The faux outrage, hysterics over daft wee comments - if you tried to act offended like that down the pub with your mates you'd get slapped lol.

Unless I’ve missed a crucial part of the story, Natasha Meikle had nothing to do with the DR story. She seems to be the biggest victim of it so far however.
Good, about time that lot got pulled for their craic. I’ll bet they wished they never started all this now.

The media and MSP's all were quick to jump on the Rangers attack bandwagon last Sunday/Monday so, how long is this going to take for someone in the public eye to say something about the daily record and its disgusting employees? They cannot be allowed to just let this be swept away under the carpet!
It's amazing that all the mp's and journalists who fall over themselves to comment when they can demonise one section of society are all so quiet on the bigotry/racism that has been uncovered at the Daily Record.

It's almost as if these mp's and journalists don't really care about sectarianism and racism, all they care about is point scoring and the alienation of people they don't like.

Murdo MacLennen.

Has any one else noticed how the only time anyone hears from him is when he comes out swinging if anyone dares to step out of line?

Well, you could imagine my surprise when I found an article that highlights his role in keeping negative stories regarding HSBC out of the headlines due to their tax dealings

The full article is below. I apologise in advance as it’s quite long, but it’s really interesting to see the links the MM has and his previous for controlling the media.

The last paragraph is a particular eye opener as it says he (at the time of publishing 2015) is on the board of the Regulatory Funding Company, the group responsible for funding the new press regulator the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ispo).

Who is Murdoch MacLennan? Fleet Street giant Peter Oborne blames for 'destroying' the Daily Telegraph​

Peter Oborne, former chief political correspondent at the Daily Telegraph, hasn't exactly held his tongue over who he blames for paper's alleged "collapse" in standards and "soft" coverage of HSBC's tax affairs.

Oborne quit the Telegraph over what he described as a "form of fraud" after accusing the paper of refusing to cover negative stories about the banking giant - and lucrative advertiser - because of the commercial implications.

Not content so much with burning bridges at the Telegraph as effectively throwing a grenade into their offices by publishing the reasons why he quit, Oborne used the publicity surrounding his resignation to take several more parting shots at one man in particular – Telegraph Media Group chief executive Murdoch MacLennan.

"The Telegraph needs to explain to us why its coverage of HSBC has been skewed, and the really important people who it should explain this to are the readers of the Daily Telegraph," Oborne told Channel 4 News.

"The Telegraph needs to explain to us why its coverage of HSBC has been skewed, and the really important people who it should explain this to are the readers of the Daily Telegraph," Oborne told Channel 4 News.

He added: "I've had so many conversations with Telegraph staff. I believe I am speaking for the vast majority of Telegraph staff that we have no confidence in the chief executive Murdoch MacLennan and I'd go further than that and say we have no confidence at all in the Barclay brothers who own the paper."

A ruthless operator​

According to Oborne, MacLennan was the one person at the Telegraph "determined" not to allow negative stories about HSBC to appear in the paper.
Oborne said in his letter that MacLennan would "express concern about headlines even on minor stories", according to one former Telegraph journalist.

He added it was MacLennan's decision to allow advertising to affect editorial, describing how he was "unapologetic" about it.

MacLennan, a former Associated Newspapers managing director, joined the Telegraph group in 2004 after its acquisition by the secretive Barclay twins. The destiny of the UK's best-selling quality newspaper had been handed to one of Fleet Street's most talented and ruthless operators.

With the paper's circulation falling, MacLennan made the decision in 2010 that the future of the British press was digital.

From a business perspective, this conclusion worked. The new direction included introducing a metered paywall for UK users in 2013. Last year, Telegraph Media Group reported pre-tax profits of £57m, partly due to a saving on newsprint and distribution and an increase in digital operations and investment.

However, this came at a cost, according to Osborne. Soon a "wave of sackings" occurred at the paper, including around 80 mostly print-based editorial positions as the focus switched to digital. These lay-offs included the "dismaying" departure of editor Tony Gallagher. His position was replaced by a new head of content, American Jason Seiken.

Oborne said:

The arrival of Mr Seiken coincided with the arrival of the click culture. Stories seemed no longer judged by their importance, accuracy or appeal to those who actually bought the paper. The more important measure appeared to be the number of online visits. On 22 September Telegraph online ran a story about a woman with three breasts. One despairing executive told me that it was known this was false even before the story was published. I have no doubt it was published in order to generate online traffic, at which it may have succeeded. I am not saying that online traffic is unimportant, but over the long term, however, such episodes inflict incalculable damage on the reputation of the paper.

Referring to the first time he voiced his concerns in 2012, Oborne said: "A little while later I met Mr MacLennan by chance in the queue of mourners outside Margaret Thatcher's funeral and once again urged him not to take Telegraph readers for granted. He replied: 'You don't know what you are f*****g talking about.'"

Ascent to the top​

Away from Oborne (and possible others at the Telegraph), MacLennan is seen as one of the most influential and powerful figures in British media.

Beginning life as a trainee reporter at the Scotsman, MacLennan, now 66, rose up to become production director of the Daily Record and Sunday Mail in 1982. Two years later he became the technical director of the paper's publisher, Mirror Group Newspapers.

MacLennan moved across several director positions over the following few years, including roles at the Express and as managing director of the Daily Record and Sunday Mail until he was hired as managing director of Associated Newspapers in 1994. The publisher, now known as DMG Media, is responsible for some of the biggest media brands in the UK such as the Daily Mail, Mail Online and Metro.

In 2010, MacLennan was brought in as chief executive for the Telegraph media and straight away began his "ruthless transformation" of the group.

In the same year, he was ranked number 17 on the annual MediaGuardian 100 list of most powerful people in the UK.

Despite his ranking on the top 100 list slipping to 39 in 2014, MacLennan's influence could extend even further than his own papers following his appointment to the board of the Regulatory Funding Company, the group responsible for funding the new press regulator the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ispo).

Source: https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/who-murdo...rne-blames-destroying-daily-telegraph-1488524

Written by Ewan Palmer who is currently working
As a reporter for News Week.

https://twitter.com/EwanPalmer?s=20

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets?s=20

Last edited:
In my 49 years I've never liked being called a hun. I knew then it was sectarian as I do now.
Just as Hoggy etc have been punished so should these fucking hypocrits in our msm cesspit up here. If you dish cancel culture out be prepared for shit coming back. Reap what you sow.

Last edited:
If nothing else it highlights the absolutely amateurish nature of the Daily Record.

Imagine being so naive as to run a story like that without the editor or anyone else in the room saying ‘hang on a minute’.

Daft pricks.
It makes me wonder if it is as we perceive it to be as a low level attack from spurned journalists from the Record, or does it go higher as part of an ongoing attack on the club.

Surely, this doesn’t get the go ahead without direction from above.

Could Murdo be calling in favours following Rangers not being cowed in the Cinch deal?

It makes me wonder if it is as we perceive it to be as a low level attack from spurned journalists from the Record, or does it go higher as part of an ongoing attack on the club.

Surely, this doesn’t get the go ahead without direction from above.

Could Murdo be calling in favours following Rangers not being cowed in the Cinch deal?
Agree.....someone above that 'Journalist' approved that story going to print.
I wonder who that is and what his affiliations are?

That article above re Murdo MacLennan is a right boot to his balls

MacLennan is clearly a snake and he must be using his influence to control the narrative in the SMSM that Rangers bad. Shellick good

Also the fact that 2 individuals were up in court in Glasgow over more historical child abuse charges and not ONE single news outlet updated their readers, viewers or listeners

Just process that. Previously convicted paedos up on yet more allegations against young boys and this isn’t deemed newsworthy!!

You can only kick the hornets nest so many times before they swam. And what a swarm! However, personally I am depressed about the direction the world is heading in. We are now in an age where we would rather create a media storm about mock offence as opposed to tackling the real issues. The days where fans could sing and swear and generally let off a bit of steam we’re far more palatable than what we have witnessed recently. The pent up rage that built up is far more difficult to deal with now. The fact that this has all blown up now we are back on top is unbelievable.
It’s also worth mentioning that the boys who have been arrested have yet to be found guilty of any sort of racism or sectarianism yet the damage has pretty much been done due to the MSM cheerleaders. I find this utterly depressing and disgusting.
Where do we go from here in Scotland? No idea but it’s looking more like NI with every passing week.

Was just discussed on off the ball there. Of course there was mention of the conduct of the H&H boys, no mention at all of the rampant racism, homophobia, Islamaphobia and sectarianism on display from daily record employees.

The only show of the slightest bit of balance, was Cosgrove stated that he wasn’t a fan of journalists digging up tweets from people from years ago, but when asked to name names he utterly shat it.

The thing is, that those 2 dinosaurs Cowan and Cosgrove will have a rich back catalogue of ‘risqué’ jokes over the years.

Was just discussed on off the ball there. Of course there was mention of the conduct of the H&H boys, no mention at all of the rampant racism, homophobia, Islamaphobia and sectarianism on display from daily record employees.

The only show of the slightest bit of balance, was Cosgrove stated that he wasn’t a fan of journalists digging up tweets from people from years ago, but when asked to name names he utterly shat it.

The thing is, that those 2 dinosaurs Cowan and Cosgrove will have a rich back catalogue of ‘risqué’ jokes over the years.

Cosgrove in particular and I'm the same in that I'm not a fan of judging people based on years old indiscretions but the Record very much started this so I guess those are the rules of war here. A quiet word in the ear to delete that stuff would have sufficed but that wasn't the point for them was it.

So has there actually been decent stuff found then that is now in the public domain?
Read the thread mate, read the thread. Over 100 sickening, islamophibic, homophobic, sectarian slurs cast freely. All vile and all reported and all to be investigated by the KGB wing of the SNP

Reactions: GF1

This always brings to mind the comment about Muhammad Ali shaking as he lit the Olympic flame in '96. These days it would be classed as being discriminatory against disabled people. I can't remember which of them made the "joke" but, bearing in mind everything around that particular moment and who it was they were sneering at, they would be hauled over the coals if the clip was replayed. I've tried to find the clip but so far without success although I'll continue trying. If anyone is able to do so It was on their Saturday show on the BBC just after the Olympics that year, (not much to go on I know)

In my 49 years have I ever liked being called a hun. I knew then it was sectarian as I do now.
Just as Hoggy etc have been punished so should these fucking hypocrits in our msm cesspit up here. If you dish cancel culture out be prepared for shit coming back. Reap what you sow.

Tin hat on.

Been called a hun, D O B, flute faced cuńt etc.

I can handle it no problem.

What I can’t handle? One side facing consequences (historically) whilst the other side gets allowed to craic on.

I don't have a Twitter account but can see Herr Sturgeons pal Godley is trending on Twitter about Wimpy ! :))
Be a shame if we took over and got her trending for her vile 'mongo' ableist tweets

Off the ball now just descending into a farce.

H&H = bad

Bringing up the Daily Record = whataboutery
It's hardly surprising, given both of the main contributors have written for the Rhecord/Mail and are mainstream journos.

Cosgrove has been a Rangers-hater and a bigot for decades, Cowan just along for the ride and the free buffet.

Expecting them to demonstrate integrity at the is stage of the game?

Don't bother.

It's hardly surprising, given both of the main contributors have written for the Rhecord/Mail and are mainstream journos.

Cosgrove has been a Rangers-hater and a bigot for decades, Cowan just along for the ride and the free buffet.

Expecting them to demonstrate integrity at the is stage of the game?

Don't bother.

There is allegedly dirt out there relating to fat Tam re an alleged inappropriate touching incident in Carrigan’s (Hamilton).

Can’t remember the ins and outs of the allegations, any Ham8lton Bears able to put meat ont bone?

H&H = bad

Not unexpected.

This whole sorry episode has highlighted that at least 1 publication has been a hot bed of racism, homophobia and sectarianism.

There should be no way back for the Record after this, and with contributors from the BBC being so vocal in their outrage on one side, any fair minded observer could reach the conclusion that it’s not just the Record that has the problem.

The other sad thing about this is that it stretches way beyond football and casts a shadow over the integrity of the entire MSM if they do not address this appropriately.

H&H = bad

The DR has just very publicly been proven as a hotbed of racist, sectarian, homophobic cess.

It could even be accurate to describe the DR as systemically racist, homophobic and sectarian.

Any outlet defending them, especially with the utter stupidity that is the word 'Whataboutery' is condoning widespread and systemic racism.

The key issue here is that the offender doesn't get to determine what is offensive. This is well established in law. It applies to Scots Protestants as much as any other grouping or community.

These cretins either don't get that or (more likely) have just become so accustomed to exercising their bigotry and hatred that they'll die in a ditch arguing the H word isn't sectarian but 'merely' offensive.

Noticed a daily record journalist deleted their twitter a couple of years ago.

Has some questionable homophobic close friends

Quote tweets still available from previous account that is now deleted of said person making fun of anothers appearance

Anyone with good detective skills fancy looking into it better? I'm 100% sure there's plenty to be found. Don't want to post the name in public to avoid any backtracking but will PM it. Is there a way to view deleted accounts/tweets?

Edit: Im going to send it to you David in PM.

Last edited:
As with most things loved by people with low levels of intelligence so called "whataboutery" can be destroyed as a concept in about 10 seconds.

Essentially "whataboutery" means one can be as racist, bigoted and homophobic as one chooses to be, on the proviso that one is also the first to cast the stone towards other racists, bigots and homophobes. Anyone who responds to your accusations can be dismissed as it's only "whataboutery"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back