Hungary v Croatia - Barisic limps off after 30 mins

The coaching staff need to take a long hard look at their training techniques. If the same injuries are happening to several players then there is a common thread. It's not unknown for coaches to leave one team and take their injury problems with them.
Players are being constantly berated for feigning injury or not having the baws.
It could be training routines.
However,
I still think barisic needs a decent set of baws if he wants to be part of the rangers squad for much longer.

Some of this shite reminds me of people thinking Alves faked injury 20 mins into the OF game at the Piggery end of 2017. :D

Guys screaming that he’d bottled it. :)

Beat me to it. A guy who has won league titles in 3 countries as well as the Euros can’t handle a trip the Big Jock Knew Camp according to FF.

Some of this shite reminds me of people thinking Alves faked injury 20 mins into the OF game at the Piggery end of 2017. :D

A hamstring injury is one injury you can't fake. It's not an injury you can ''run off'' or anything like that. It's severity is determined by the grade of the tear.

It's a nonsense that he's faked the injury. Where I do agree though, is that we should look to recoup our dough if we can in the summer because that's the third time this season already his hammy has went.

We should keep a close eye on Barry Douglas' situation at Leeds. He would walk to Ibrox to sign for us.

A hamstring injury is one injury you can't fake. It's not an injury you can ''run off'' or anything like that. It's severity is determined by the grade of the tear.

It's a nonsense that he's faked the injury. Where I do agree though, is that we should look to recoup our dough if we can in the summer because that's the third time this season already his hammy has went.

We should keep a close eye on Barry Douglas' situation at Leeds. He would walk to Ibrox to sign for us.

It's also the hardest injury to fake, as the tear (and grade) will show up clearly in the scan.

For those comparing it to Goldson's situation and he could take a pain killing injection, well sorry, but that doesn't work with a muscle tear.

Only rest, followed by a gentle reintroduction to exercise does

It's also the hardest injury to fake, as the tear (and grade) will show up clearly in the scan.

For those comparing it to Goldson's situation and he could take a pain killing injection, well sorry, but that doesn't work with a muscle tear.

Agreed, mate. Goldson has bone bruising which is just a really painful, impact type injury. A pain killing injection would get you through a game with it.

Borna seems to have chocolate hamstrings unfortunately.

Unfortunate timing as his confidance would have been high after two starts for the world cup finalists and scoring

Not reading through the thread but, anyone seriously suggesting this has obviously never played football and doesn't have a brain.

Last edited:
I want nothing more than Grezda and Barasic to turn the corner and show us exactly what they're capable of. Mainly just to shut up the nonsense being spouted by some on here about 2 Internationalists, one of whom is playing for last year's World cup finalists.
yet looked average against SPL plodders when playing for Rangers. When he's fit. Which isnt often.

Nicked this from Reddit, sounds like it might not be too serious.

He said in an interview with the Croatian press after the match that he decided to leave the pitch just as the pain was beginning to be noticeable and that he thinks that it won't give him any issues.

English translation:
"I felt my hamstring (aching), I tried to play some more, but I couldn't. We'll see tomorrow (on Monday) after the checkup, but I think I stopped playing on time."

Croatian original:
"Osjetio sam zadnju ložu, pokušao sam još malo zaigrati, ali nije išlo. Vidjet ćemo sutra (op.a u ponedjeljak) nakon pregleda, ali mislim da sam stao na vrijeme i izašao."

What tremendous backing these guys all get.

It’s like a wee throwback to last season. ‘Get that Morelos sold ffs! He’s never a striker and he’ll never get 15 goals in a season! Get wee Cumdog up top, knows wit it’s aw aboot and he only needs one chance, we know wit wur talking aboot here!’

Last edited:
What tremendous backing these guys all get.

It’s like a wee throwback to last season. ‘Get that Morelos sold ffs! He’s never a striker and he’ll never get 15 goals in a season! Get wee Cumdog up top, knows wit it’s aw aboot and he only needs one chance, we know wit wur talking aboot here!’

The lunatics who claimed Cummings would score more for us than Morelos will live me forever.

The coaching staff need to take a long hard look at their training techniques. If the same injuries are happening to several players then there is a common thread. It's not unknown for coaches to leave one team and take their injury problems with them.
Players are being constantly berated for feigning injury or not having the baws.
However,
I still think barisic needs a decent set of baws if he wants to be part of the rangers squad for much longer.

Not saying this is the reason, but could be. Same not happen in Klopps first season. New training regime was way more intense than previous and some players bodies took time to adjust, causing injuries. Each individual should be monitored, but has happened elsewhere. Add that to the workload in first half if the season, might be taking its toll.

Nicked this from Reddit, sounds like it might not be too serious.

Good news but he will still be out of action for a few weeks or it is inevitable it will go.

Hopefully he can get a run of games at the end of the season and get some momentum going into next season

Local.paper just reporting what said earlier in the thread. Felt a little pain in back of his leg, tried to continue but pain did not go away. Hopefully might just be a niggle, but knowing our luck!

And Collum was rated 5.5. Modest game but made mistake in the Lovren 'foul' just before Hungary got their 2nd goal is the comment on his performance.

Time to look for another left back this guy has been a disaster of a signing. The outlay between him and Grezda and we have seen nothing in return it's shocking.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s been a disaster.

The guy has came to a new country, new style of football and been hampered by injuries.

He’s not been great but not been as bad as half the people on here suggest

I wouldn't be bothered if he departs...

A pretty average player and he does miss too many games, it's detrimental to the team - difficult to build the muscle memory of play and process of training repetition with a guy who oft misses games and training because of injury.

He’s had a truly horrific season and has done fuck all to justify the praise he gets on here. Even when he has been fit, he’s been average at best.

I’ve zero time for passengers. And he’s one of them. If you want to accept mediocrity in the hope he’ll finally come good then charge on.

But attitudes like that are why we haven’t won the league again this season.

Halliday = mediocre.

The mediocre Halliday has built a better season than Barisic....

Which says a lot more about the performance levels of one than the other.... and it isn't Halliday.

Agreed, mate. Goldson has bone bruising which is just a really painful, impact type injury. A pain killing injection would get you through a game with it.

Borna seems to have chocolate hamstrings unfortunately.

There was a triathlete who was in the National Squad with me who kept breaking down with hamstring trouble mate.

Even pushing off from a basic tumble turn in the pool could ping one of his hammys.

He was diagnosed with his quad (front) muscles in his thighs being more developed than his hamstrings, plus he also lacked flexibility in his hammys too.

He was put on a course of hamstring strengthening and flexibility exercises over the winter and when the race season came in the spring he stayed injury free.

Peter Lovenkrands was put on a similar programme, as he had major hamstring problems early in his career.at Ibrox and it worked for him too.

I obviously don't know the situation with Barisic, but hopefully there can be some sort of solution to this

However,
His most recent injury happened under the Croatian teams watch. Two games in a few days was clearly too much.
I am sure our medical team are trying their best, stopping him playing on pastic pitches etc.
I think Borna is a very good footballer. However he may be too injury prone to play for Rangers. His value wont be great given his injury record. Gerrard has a big decision here,possibly loan him out in order to let any potential buyer assess Borna.

I spoke to Windass, Garner, Holt and Crooks one time and that was the phrase Windass said the team used for him when he first signed.

Fair enough, but the hamstring is a muscle, so chocolate doesnt really work.
I’ve heard it more for chocolate ankles, because it’s a bone, so chocolate works in that instance.
Please inform the players they used the wrong metaphor ;-)

Jesus some of the comments on this thread

As if Borna is going to go off 30 mins into a game for his country because he is scared to play on Sunday
Croats LOVE representing their country. He would have gone to hell and back to stay on the pitch

He’s had a truly horrific season and has done fuck all to justify the praise he gets on here. Even when he has been fit, he’s been average at best.

I’ve zero time for passengers. And he’s one of them. If you want to accept mediocrity in the hope he’ll finally come good then charge on.

But attitudes like that are why we haven’t won the league again this season.

Truly Horrific season :D

Have a lie doon.

Fair enough, but the hamstring is a muscle, so chocolate doesnt really work.
I’ve heard it more for chocolate ankles, because it’s a bone, so chocolate works in that instance.
Please inform the players they used the wrong metaphor ;-)
Windass might understand chocolate omelettes

It was the week before the last Celtic game that his hamstring went as well.

How coincidental.

giphy.gif

I have no doubt that certain players don't have the bottle to play in the biggest games (Snelders being the prime example), and Gerrard has hinted that Barisic needs to man up a bit.

However, if he wanted to play no part in the game next week, I imagine he would've perhaps limped out of training on Thursday or Friday rather than faking an injury playing for his country a full week beforehand. That's just mental.

Barisic showed glimpses of talent in his first few games and I'm happy to assume that constant injuries and dropping out the team has dented his form. I'd give him next season to see if we can get a tune out of him. If he has a similar time of it next season then he is just another Rossiter.

If there is a mentalilty problem with Barisic, and no-one knows for sure whether there is or isn't, then you'd have to question those who made the decision to bring him in given all the talk we heard in pre-season about strict character assessments on new signings.

There’s some absolute rubbish being posted on this thread.

Firstly, any suggestion he’s faked an injury less than halfway through an international match purely because he’s scared of facing the Saville All-Star XI a few days afterwards is absurd. Especially because it’s so easy to prove or disprove a hamstring injury.

Secondly, he hadn’t had an horrific season, just an underwhelming one. For whatever reason he hasn’t been able to reproduce the form he showed for Osijek and Croatia for Rangers. HEs also has a lot of time out with injuries.

Which means thirdly, he’s probably not going to be a big miss for the Paedodome because his form for us has been so patchy. At his best he’s certainly better than Halliday but he hasn’t been at his best for us. Halliday has been up and down too but at least he had a stormer in the last OF so he’s hopefully capable of doing this again.

Finally, what about Barisic’s future? The management will no doubt be aware of the reasons for his poor form. If this is primarily down to his injuries and if they are confident he can put them behind him next season then we should keep him. Same goes if he’s found it difficult settling in but is showing signs that he’s now getting used to a new country, culture & style of play. Otherwise, we should probably look to move him on as he hadn’t given value for money this season and we can’t afford to be in the same situation next year.

Playing Devil's Advocate who's to say he didnt pull up to ensure he was fit to play on Sunday ;) After all at that stage Croatia had the game well in hand :)

There was a triathlete who was in the National Squad with me who kept breaking down with hamstring trouble mate.

Even pushing off from a basic tumble turn in the pool could ping one of his hammys.

He was diagnosed with his quad (front) muscles in his thighs being more developed than his hamstrings, plus he also lacked flexibility in his hammys too.

He was put on a course of hamstring strengthening and flexibility exercises over the winter and when the race season came in the spring he stayed injury free.

Peter Lovenkrands was put on a similar programme, as he had major hamstring problems early in his career.at Ibrox and it worked for him too.

I obviously don't know the situation with Barisic, but hopefully there can be some sort of solution to this

A certain Lionel Messi was exactly the same. Never managed an injury free season until he was 21. His first few seasons blighted by length lay offs and recurring hamstrings problems.

In saying that, the FF sports scientists will know best!

I have no doubt that certain players don't have the bottle to play in the biggest games (Snelders being the prime example), and Gerrard has hinted that Barisic needs to man up a bit.

To be honest that was a ridiculous and irresponsible thing for Gerrard to say, I’m betting if he could take it back he would. By saying that he instantly turned a lot of fans against the player and put them in the mindset that now has them questioning absolutely every injury (even un-fakeable hamstring injuries) Barisic suffers, fuelling suspiciousness and doubt over the player, which no doubt translates onto the pitch from some in the stands.

To be honest that was a ridiculous and irresponsible thing for Gerrard to say, I’m betting if he could take it back he would. By saying that he instantly turned a lot of fans against the player and put them in the mindset that now has them questioning absolutely every injury (even un-fakeable hamstring injuries) Barisic suffers, fuelling suspiciousness and doubt over the player, which no doubt translates onto the pitch from some in the stands.

I think comments like that tie in to Gerrard getting too emotional in post match interviews and saying things he probably regrets afterwards. It's something I think he needs to keep a lid on in future.

"Disaster of a signing,"

"The outlay...we have seen nothing in return."

"It's shocking."

Dearie me mate. You're aware we spent about 2mil on the pair of them not 20mil?

We spent more than £2 million on the pair and considering a large amount of our summer budget went on these two I've yet to see any value or decent product on the pitch. We've seen nothing to suggest they will be a success it's highly concerning.

We spent more than £2 million on the pair and considering a large amount of our summer budget went on these two I've yet to see any value or decent product on the pitch. We've seen nothing to suggest they will be a success it's highly concerning.

"Highly concerning."

Lol.

Like it or not, £2m isn’t a lot in football now, it might be a good portion of our budget, but unless we want to buy crap, it’s just not a lot in the general market.

And please get a grip, both have had big injury problems and both are still in their first season here which hasn’t even ended yet. Think back to the utter drivel that was being said about Morelos this time last year by a large section of this forum, that should give you at least a little bit of perspective. They might not work out, but at least do them the courtesy of giving them a decent chance.

Back