I have been barred from standing in the elections for Club 1872

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think Mark is a little too hesitant in his truth-seeking.

Other people I really like are, in my opinion, totally wrong about the war on the native poor.

But it takes all sorts, and I utterly despise this, "You said X in 2008 so you're on a leftist equivalent of the Sex Offenders Register."
I hate that as well, hand wringing arseholes offended by stuff that in alll honesty wasn’t offensive years ago. My grandfather would be in jail if he was till alive today with some of the stuff he said which at the time was or for the course
Also one of the reasons I don’t do social media as I would in all likelihood unintentionally offend a few

I hate that as well, hand wringing arseholes offended by stuff that in alll honesty wasn’t offensive years ago. My grandfather would be in jail if he was till alive today with some of the stuff he said which at the time was or for the course
Just look at the crackpots and their desire to go after statues.

From Winston Churchill to General Lee, you will be tried today for thoughts of history.

I love humour that's so dated it's wrong. You just don't expect it, and you know it's not the in thing these days. That's why it's great.

Recently I got hold of the Till Death Us Do Part surviving episodes and laughed myself sore.

Last BBC comedy I smiled at was Early Doors, and that was in the mid-00s. The unexpected or dated is verboten these days, therefore no laughs allowed.

Well that's disappointing.

Absolutely nobody seems to have any appetite to say "so what?"

We're not getting positive media coverage from anywhere anytime soon. So we'd be no worse off.

The guy behind the most successful Rangers fanzine caused offence. Good! That is kind of the point and in the best traditions of why fanzines were first published.

If c1872 are unable to weigh up something that some might find "problematic" against almost 4 decades of fighting for our club and our support then more fool them.

If c1872 (or the club, for that matter) really want to affect change then they should be knocking down your door (and that of others who are still here) for your input, not issuing censure.

Until we recognise that culture trumps politics and stand together then we're just pissing in the wind.

From Winston Churchill to General Lee, you will be tried today for thoughts of history.

I love humour that's so dated it's wrong. You just don't expect it, and you know it's not the in thing these days. That's why it's great.

Recently I got hold of the Till Death Us Do Part surviving episodes and laughed myself sore.

Last BBC comedy I smiled at was Early Doors, and that was in the mid-00s. The unexpected or dated is verboten these days, therefore no laughs allowed.
I am a huge fan of comedians from my younger days - dave Allen dick emery benny hill Bernard manning etc not to mention Kevin Wilson and chubby brown. Imagine how their humour would go down in today’s woke society. Probably the reason modern day comedians with the greatest of respect to them, just aren’t funny. Honestly think they’re too scared to be labelled racist, sexist, mother in lawist or whatever.
Don’t get me wrong I truly admire them stance society is taking towards racism today, but some of the shit folk get all offended by is truly pathetic

At the risk of being sent to the camps in the east, I own Mind Your Language on DVD. It plays to lazy stereotypes but it's incredibly funny and well acted.

I have shared it with French, German and Italian friends who all have their culture mocked and they have all found it very funny.

Highly recommend the first 2 series.

To be fair if you've posted that on a page and not as a DM to a friend then unfortunately I can see their point as the messages are relatively recent. If it was 10 years ago I think you would have a point.

That doesn't detract from the other issues regarding governance.

The fact you’d rather stand by those tweets rather than admit they are offensive suggests you’re probably not right for the role anyway.

It's 2021, you can't reasonably expect to use terms like "poof" and "retard" in a public forum and not expect to be called out on it.

That kind of stuff is for the boozer with your mates.

I dont see how calling someone a poof is humorous. If you were a homosexual Rangers supporter and signed up to club1872 I think you would feel pretty disenfranchised and bemused at the thought of the elected person being someone who thinks the term is funny. It's a word that's sole meaning is to denigrate someones sexuality and personhood. Racist terms are rightfully off limits so why shouldn't homophobic?

I wouldn't want the club associated with it. So many people on here are outraged about a scum community manager calling us huns but think an elected board member of club 1872 is vindicated using the term poof. And laughibly anyone who understands C1872 stance is cast off as a woke nutter.

Last edited:
Why has everyone in life become judged by what they post on twitter and not who they actually are as a human and in person? It's like basing someone's life story on their Facebook page!

I should get someone to put me forward for the elections as they'll find me tweeting about absolutely nothing as I have never had and never will have a twitter account.

Funny how I'm looking at the news and seeing someone who stated "The white people will be our slaves" is someone to look up to., with a pantomime performance sympathising with these awful sorts before games.

Yet a native having a laugh is convicted of thought crimes on a personal shitposting account, with hundreds or thousands denied the right to vote for him because his sense of humour and outlook on life were formed at a time before the machinery of the state was hijacked.

I see that Everyone, Anyone nonsense and it makes me want to puke. My views are very Libertarian, I don't give a toss about such things, but I feel that PR shit-fest suggests that we have a problem when there is none. Anyone who thinks that would be blackballed and smeared as far-right.

I couldn't have voted anyway, but I'd be cancelling. The organisation is an enemy and the board is as untrustworthy as Murray for having anything to do with these thought crime kangaroo court judges.

I dont see how calling someone a poof is humorous. If you were a homosexual Rangers supporter and signed up to club1872 I think you would feel pretty disenfranchised and bemused at the thought of the elected person being someone who thinks funny. It's a word that's sole meaning is to denigrate someones sexuality and personhood. Racist terms are rightfully off limits so why shouldn't homophobic?

I wouldn't want the club associated with it. So many people on here are outraged about a scum community manager calling us huns but think an elected board member of club 1872 is vindicated using the term poof. And laughibly anyone who understands C1872 stance is cast off as a woke nutter.

Why do you use his forum?

Why do you use his forum?
Because it's a great way to learn and keep informed about the club I love. Just because I dont agree with his sense of humour doesn't mean I'll stop using his forum. The very meaning of the word forum insinuates a sharing of opinion. I've shared mine and hes shared his, it's not a personal attack, it's my viewpoint. Unless there was a tick box I missed on signing up that says I need to think calling someone a poof is funny?

You’d struggle to get any job with they sort of tweets.

Until someone is brave enough to ignore them and concentrate on expertise and experience.

Everything is fair game if you are not one the "correct" side and their noise is becoming so ridiculous that everyone is offended by everything at the expense of genuine social justice.

Just takes someone with stones as big as Souness.

Actually that’s a good point.

I’ve been barred for numerous things i thought were hilarious (plus one I thought was just so extreme that everyone would know it was a piss take).

My 4th account persona though is pretty tame nowadays

I still think Mark should be allowed to stand but maybe admin should bear this post in mind when they get the ban hammer out
I’ve also had a ridiculous “homophobic” ban.

Must admit I can see why they’d want to distance themselves from those tweets (that’s not to say my own tweets are any better).

In saying that, it should not detract from how much of a shambles C1872 is in general. Making decisions about how to use funding without so much as a vote on the issue.

I can see their point here but they don’t have any of my money and won’t be getting it.

People should be allowed to vote for him.

I certainly don't find them offensive.

If voters find them offensive, they won't vote for him - that's democracy.

This ain't democracy.
Correct in that C1872 isn't a democracy, it is a private company.

My democratic decision is that I won't give them a bean and I don't trust them (or any other supporters collective without their own means) to have a say in the running of Rangers.

I understand the idea, I just don't find it feasible.

I'm still a fully paid up member but kinda lost interest of late due to us being on firm footing now, but if its any consolation I wouldn't have voted you and that's before I seen your tweets....lol...

But if anyone does wish to revisit some of their older less desirable posts on social media but doesn't have the time, it might be a good idea to put in application and it will be done for you !

Correct in that C1872 isn't a democracy, it is a private company.

My democratic decision is that I won't give them a bean and I don't trust them (or any other supporters collective without their own means) to have a say in the running of Rangers.

I understand the idea, I just don't find it feasible.
The idea that members need a thought trial prior to being allowed to stand goes against everything I see as being fair.

If someone was standing calling for an all-Protestant XI I'd be fine with it.

If someone was standing wanting only white or black players I'd be fine with it.

If someone wanted only OO members through the turnstiles I'd be fine with it.

Let the members decide.

This is an organisation that is asking supporters to hand over millions of pounds to buy Dave King’s shares and yet it’s not allowing the individual who founded the biggest Rangers communication tool that exists to participate in is activities.
Granted, there are rules from a compliance perspective that a regulator may find to have been breached.
However, I would have expected the independent assessment to be conducted by someone with significant experience of both Board compliance as well as media/PR experience. It would appear from the club 1872 response that the individual concerned does not have the experience and gravitas that would be expected in such circumstances.
This, in my opinion, is likely to be damaging to Club 1872s aspirations going forward.
A sad day for the club @Greg Marshall sbd the support @mdingwall as well as the shareholders @Christine1872 @David Edgar

I’ll never return to paying c1872 membership

too many rumours of Chris Graham pulling the strings behind the scenes, infighting, lack of transparency etc

not for me

Dear Mark,

In response to your email requesting further details of social media posts that were reviewed as part of the Club 1872 election process, please note the following links.

You also asked for the name of the Independent Adjudicator. Your application was reviewed by the Club 1872 board and Alan Russell of Supporters Direct. We have copied Alan into this email.

Please note the following section of the Articles

"All candidates for election must disclose all social media accounts operated by them. In the event that any racist, sectarian, obscene or abusive posts are published on these or any other accounts directed by a candidate, at any time, that candidate may, at the discretion of the independent adjudicator, be removed from the elections."

https://club1872.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Club-1872-Articles-December-2019.pdf

As checks of your social media accounts found posts which were homophobic, ableist, obscene and abusive, the decision was taken in line with Schedule 3, point 8 to remove you from the election process.

Regards,

The Club 1872 Board
To be fair, I was banned from the Covid Pandemic thread in the lounge for less :D

Much as I expected to be. It's a closed shop and self-perpetuating clique.

I stood in response to an email plea from a member which disclosed very worrying information about the operation of Club 1872.

I was debarred on two grounds -

1/ that one, or perhaps more, of my proposers had not been paying for six months continuously into Club 1872.

2/ That some of my tweets were "homophobic, ableist, obscene and abusive"

I asked for the name(s) of the ineligible proposer(s) and examples of the social media posts.

They did not give me a note of the ineligible proposer(s) but did provide links to five tweets - all of which I'm quite prepared to stand by on the basis of the context in which they were made, the content or indeed that two of them are quite clearly humorous and directed to people I know personally.

I have been made aware of one other member who has similarly been disbarred from standing despite his track record of service in fans groups/media.
What are you complaining about? The organisation is acting in a way that any organisation would, if they need to protect their public image. It's genuinely surprising you think that some of those tweets should still be live on your account, never mind tweeted in the first place. Seriously, mate, those were outdated 15 years ago at a minimum. Like it, or not, that's the world now.

You run a forum where we discuss these issue regularly, you should be well aware there is no place in modern society for calling people poofs and retards because you don't like what they say. In fact, I'm almost certain you have banned others for similar abusive language, one of your site rules is against the mindless abuse of individuals.

Here is your own rule; 'You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

The link you just shared could be judged by many reasonable people to be abusive, inflammatory, hateful, and likely to offend(I guess that was the whole point, or you wouldn't have wrote it). And you're moaning that C1872 had the audacity to protect their image and the image of the Rangers support, you will be very lucky now to retain any press privileges you have at Ibrox now attention has been drawn.

I am glad that Club 1872 have recognised this before it could bring embarrassment to the Club. You can take it personally all you want, the reasons given are more than enough to stop you, or any other person, from being elected. Imagine the outrage and embarrassment on here if the Club or our main supporters organisation hired someone and a week later it came out that they were calling folk poofs and retards on social media like a 10 year old. We would, rightfully, be raging that our name was being dragged through the mud because of the childish actions of an individual abusing strangers on social media.

Most people will have a history of tweets they regret with regret being the point here. Doesn't sound like you regret the language, that although doesn't bother a majority of folk, an organisation that is open to all walks of life can't condone the use of language that is derogatory to disabled folk and language that is derogatory to the LGBT community. Doesn't matter the context it was said in as those tweets don't really demonstrate good judgement when looking to be considered for a position of responsibility.

Here’s a thought

if Suck is barred from standing for tweets, why is Chris Graham working for them in the background given he resigned from a role within the actual club, for an offensive tweet?

Most people will have a history of tweets they regret with regret being the point here. Doesn't sound like you regret the language, that although doesn't bother a majority of folk, an organisation that is open to all walks of life can't condone the use of language that is derogatory to disabled folk and language that is derogatory to the LGBT community. Doesn't matter the context it was said in as those tweets don't really demonstrate good judgement when looking to be considered for a position of responsibility.
The movement now and the movement of my 20s are massively different things. The majority thought the movement was reasonable when campaigning for things like civil partnerships, but not now. Pronouns, men calling themselves women with the backing of the state, and all sorts. Pro-noncery stuff in there too. Taking the piss.

Sane and reasonable gay people decided, "Right, job done, shut the movement down and move on," when legal gay partnerships were put into law.

The word "poof" can be a nasty one, or it can mean weak, soft, or pathetic individual. I certainly don't think Mark is the sort who gives a flying f*ck what two people of the same sex do in the comfort of their own homes.

I find it sinister that people have humorous jibes misconstrued as very nasty things by people who dislike them. It's a common thing in society these days, and it even leads to politically-driven convictions.

The tweets would bring bad publicly to club1872 not that they offend me in the slightest
Undoubtedly but they relate to 4/5 years ago and times and attitudes have changed even in that short time. Have c1872 came up with anything more recent? If historical tweets are held against people indefinitely then a lot of us are totally fucked.

What are you complaining about? The organisation is acting in a way that any organisation would, if they need to protect their public image. It's genuinely surprising you think that some of those tweets should still be live on your account, never mind tweeted in the first place. Seriously, mate, those were outdated 15 years ago at a minimum. Like it, or not, that's the world now.

You run a forum where we discuss these issue regularly, you should be well aware there is no place in modern society for calling people poofs and retards because you don't like what they say. In fact, I'm almost certain you have banned others for similar abusive language, one of your site rules is against the mindless abuse of individuals.

Here is your own rule; 'You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

The link you just shared could be judged by many reasonable people to be abusive, inflammatory, hateful, and likely to offend(I guess that was the whole point, or you wouldn't have wrote it). And you're moaning that C1872 had the audacity to protect their image and the image of the Rangers support, you will be very lucky now to retain any press privileges you have at Ibrox now attention has been drawn.

I am glad that Club 1872 have recognised this before it could bring embarrassment to the Club. You can take it personally all you want, the reasons given are more than enough to stop you, or any other person, from being elected. Imagine the outrage and embarrassment on here if the Club or our main supporters organisation hired someone and a week later it came out that they were calling folk poofs and retards on social media like a 10 year old. We would, rightfully, be raging that our name was being dragged through the mud because of the childish actions of an individual abusing strangers on social media.
This is a great post and I'd love to hear a reasoned response to it other than woke, cant get away with what my grandad used to, detractors are proofs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back