Ian St John dead

82 years old.
Always enjoyed Saint & Greavsie

Edit, Apologies for the spelling mistake in his name.
His birth name was John but like a lot of guys called John in the old days, they got called Ian.

Wonderful broadcaster, too young to remember him playing but was a staple diet of the 80s to play for my boys club team and go home and watch Saints and Greavsie.

Sad news indeed loved that show as a kid an integral part of my Saturday growing up . Thoughts to his family .

Saturday for many of my generation as kids was Terrahawks then Saint & Greavesie then if lucky off to Ibrox , chippy collected on the way home and sat watching the A Team eating the chippy . Heaven

Sad news.
My condolonces to his family and friends.
Saint and Greavsie was a great show.
Before my time, but was apparently a top striker in his day, at a time when Scotland produced so much top quality talent.
Back when Souness was our manager he would be at our games as a live co-commentator, and I'm pretty sure he was wearing a Rangers tartan hat and scarf one week.

Very sad news, great player and good broadcaster. A legend playing for Liverpool, scoring the winning goal in their first ever FA Cup win against Leeds.

I remember the story of the religious poster display in Liverpool “Christ Saves” and below was written but St. John scores from the rebound.

He was one of the first to transition from playing to presenting and he set a very high bar for those who have followed & he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

OP his name Ian is a common miss spelling by many who were called John but were called Iain.

The traditional Scots spelling of Iain is with the second ‘I’ but some don’t realise this and go with the more anglified Ian.

RIP Ian.

Very sad news, great player and good broadcaster. A legend playing for Liverpool, scoring the winning goal in their first ever FA Cup win against Leeds.

I remember the story of the religious poster display in Liverpool “Christ Saves” and below was written but St. John scores from the rebound.
The version of that I heard said it was a poster saying "What will we do when Christ comes back?" and scribbled underneath was " Move St John to inside right"

Sad news. Only seen clips of him as a player, but Saint & Greavsie was much watch TV growing up. Ground breaking football show with genuinely funny banter and done in a way you just wouldn't get away with in today's sanitised PC world.

My old man always talked about the Ancell Babes Motherwell team that St John was a part of, said they were a smashing side.

Back