Ian St John dead

Ian St John was honouray president of the Liverpool No 1 Rangers Supporters Club for a period, late 1980s, early 1990s, he was given the scarf by some of the lads of the club.
A great player who had a great partnership with Roger Hunt in the 1960s. May He Rest in Peace

Sorry to hear this sad news this morning.

I remember on the Saint & Greavsie show just after we signed Duncan Ferguson.
The Saint turned to Greavsie and said? “Surely you’ve got to agree that Rangers are the biggest club in Britain?” Greavsie replied, “Can’t argue with that Saint, can’t argue with that”

His birth name was John but like a lot of guys called John in the old days, they got called Ian.

Wonderful broadcaster, too young to remember him playing but was a staple diet of the 80s to play for my boys club team and go home and watch Saints and Greavsie.

Ian is Gaelic for John.

Sorry to hear that.
I had the pleasure of meeting him twice, firstly in a pub in Buenos Aires during the world cup in 1978 he was with Jack Charlton & they joined our crowd for the whole night, half a dozen stories from that night but one of them was someone asked him to sing Flower of Scotland, he replied I don't know the words , I'll sing the sash , true story.
Years later I was working offshore & the Saint came out for an after dinner speech, & before the show started I mentioned to him that we had met before, when I told him where & when he had a great laugh about it & he used some of the craic from that evening in his show .
RIP

Shame.

Used to love Saint & Greavsie growing up.

My Dad used to tell me how good they were in their day...used to get their books too.

Knew him only as a pundit, but read David Peace’s Shankley book recently and it made me appreciate how good a player he was - together with Roger Hunt, his goals turned Liverpool around in the early 60s. A career to be proud of, RIP.

Great guy. Saw him playing a few times. Brilliant in Saint & Greavsie. Sad indeed that such a nice person should go so early. RIP.

From the old school when you needed to have played football at a top level to be a pundit. Nowadays you don't need any footballing knowledge to become a pundit{Bonus points if you hate Rangers seemingly}

Sad news. RIP Ian.
I used to watch Saint n’ Greavsie with my old man back in the day, great show.

He was my late Grandpa's apprentice when he worked at Motherwell Bridge Work and Ravenscraig.
He was just making his way with Motherwell then.

Hopeless apprentice, but a brilliant footballer and a good Bluenose then too, according to my Grandpa.
Verified.
My step-Dad worked at Colville's and knew him quite well,
he said he was a rubbish apprentice, just like your Grandpa.
My step-Dad came from M'well, "We cried him Sinjin", he said.

Condolences to his family and friends.

A Liverpool legend.
He was there at the start of their revival. Maybe Shankly's greatest signing.
He was the idol of the Kop and scored a hat-trick in his first Merseyside derby.
When he signed for Liverpool they were very much the city's second side, he helped change that.
Sad day for the whole city.

What a shame...Saint and Greavsie was a must in times gone by...That is very sad.

Saw a photo of Jimmy Greaves with Harry Kane recently and cant believe how ill Jimmy looks...All the heroes from times passed disappearing.
Mentioned in another thread it hits you hard because anyone in their 40s or similar the last few years are now seeing icons and heroes passing away left right and centre sometimes our own parents and family .

Off the top of my head in recent times Tam Forsyth , David Bowie , Malcolm Young , Bobby Ball , Diego Maradona to name but a few genuine heroes of mine we have lost and it becomes reflected in your own life as you attend more funerals than weddings the older you become it never ends and is heart breaking .

With this news today re Saint John another part of our youth and innocence is lost , soon we will be the old ones at family parties etc wondering who is next to go . Life never gets any better than being a kid thinking time lasts forever .

I was in the audience of a show hosted by Archie MacPherson back in the 90's, Sport In Question, I'm sure it was titled. Ian St. John was one of the panel that night and after the filming got to have a good wee gab with him about football, an absolute gentleman who gave anyone all the time in the world to have a chat.
The Saint and Greavsie show for me will never be bettered in terms of those two hosting it and having a genuine chemistry between them, was brilliant and part of your staple diet before heading over to Ibrox.

A stalwart of Shankly's first team. Along with Ron Yates. Very highly regarded by Bill. Enough said.
A Liverpool legend.
He was there at the start of their revival. Maybe Shankly's greatest signing.
He was the idol of the Kop and scored a hat-trick in his first Merseyside derby.
When he signed for Liverpool they were very much the city's second side, he helped change that.
Sad day for the whole city.

One of shanklys first signings for Liverpool, and helped transform them from also rans to a European giant, a really great player, R. I. P.

There was very little football on TV at that time, so any show about football was watched by the whole country. Every football fan in the whole of the UK would be watching that show, S&G were part and parcel of the football experience.

Thank you for the memories, RIP.

One of the best football shows of all time and unfortunately there won’t be much, if anything, like it again. Football media is a vacuum of personality and individuality, which is a shambles given there’s more channels and coverage than ever, but everything has become the same, much like the game at the top level itself; soulless.

Sad if it wasn’t for Jimmy Millar he would’ve played for Rangers . Good bluenose. Great player. Rip.

Very sad news, he was a bit before my time playing wise so I it was the Saint & Greavsie show as a youngster I learned that he’d been a good player in his day but that show with his old pal Jimmy Greaves was a must watch for most football fans back in the day and better than a lot of the stuff on tv now. RIP Saint.

Like many others have said, he was a player before my time but I can remember watching Saint and Greavsie growing up like it was yesterday.

Rest easy big chap

Its strange as I always loved Saint and Greavsie growing up but one of memories of Ian St John was him screaming with joy when Willie Falconer scored the 3rd goal for the sheep in the 88 Skol cup final as he was co-commentating for STV that day.

Was just about to post similar. My memory is always him screaming with joy when Abergreen scored.

Loved Saint & Greavsie tv show.

Very sorry to hear this.

He was before my time as a player, but I loved watching Saint and Greavsie when I was wee.

Saint and Greavsie was the show to watch. Much better than the inane drivel that pass for football chat shows nowadays

I remember St John from his Motherwell days. Him & Pat Quinn were quite a strike force.

And of course his double act with Jimmy Greaves was compulsive viewing for my generation.

Rest easy sir.

I saw him play for Motherwell many times against Rangers in the late 50s and early 60s. At that time Motherwell were a great team with 6 Scottish internationalists - Ian St.John, John Martis, Bert McCann, Willie Hunter, Pat Quinn and Andy Weir. They played lovely football but won nothing. However, they were a bit of a bogey team for us and had a habit of beating us both at Ibrox and Fir Park. Strangely, although Celtic were a poor side at that time they could always get a result against Motherwell. There were always arguments about who was the better centre-forward - St.John or Jimmy Millar. Jimmy only got two caps. St.John got a lot more because of Denis Law as the selectors saw him as a better partner for Law whereas the saw Jimmy and Ralph Brand as an indivisible pairing.

Back