Ibrox stadium, what's it going to be like in ten years time

Ideally I'd like any expansion to include a massive structure, similar to the Wembley arch, that would dominate the Glasgow skyline. Don't worry fellow fans, when I win the Euro millions this will happen.
I think that’s a brilliant idea, hopefully it would be big/strong enough to be able to remove the rood support frame from the Sandy Jardine stand (the big black box that runs the entire length) so that the corners could be filled properly. The two end stands would also need their roof supports extended to outside the stadium footprint but that would be such a big project.

I would imagine any increase in capacity will be additional rows added with a new disabled section created further back in the main stand.

The new rows will be aimed at higher ticket prices.

The main stand can't really be changed any more. Nor should it be. The original part of the stand is iconic and important from an architectural viewpoint. There's probably an argument that rather than filling in the corners and trying to do work on the other stands, they should have been taken down and replaced with more modern stands. I doubt that'll happen given the money spent on small improvements and small expansions compared with the cost of a full rebuild, but those other 2 stands could really have been replaced. There's not a lot that can be done for major expansions. Internally the club could do a lot to modernise the concourse areas. Make them a lot lighter and generally nicer. Same with the toilets. Also need major improvements to catering. And if there was a way to have the turnstiles moved to a perimeter fence in the way thats common in Germany, it would give the club a lot of space around the stadium footprint to solve the concourse issue by having fan facilities around the stands themselves rather than concentrated solely within them. Lots more space and options for better food offerings or for fan zone style entertainment. One of the best things about German grounds is the way that clubs can use the space inside the perimeter fence and not within the stands themselves.

The main stand can't really be changed any more. Nor should it be. The original part of the stand is iconic and important from an architectural viewpoint. There's probably an argument that rather than filling in the corners and trying to do work on the other stands, they should have been taken down and replaced with more modern stands. I doubt that'll happen given the money spent on small improvements and small expansions compared with the cost of a full rebuild, but those other 2 stands could really have been replaced. There's not a lot that can be done for major expansions. Internally the club could do a lot to modernise the concourse areas. Make them a lot lighter and generally nicer. Same with the toilets. Also need major improvements to catering. And if there was a way to have the turnstiles moved to a perimeter fence in the way thats common in Germany, it would give the club a lot of space around the stadium footprint to solve the concourse issue by having fan facilities around the stands themselves rather than concentrated solely within them. Lots more space and options for better food offerings or for fan zone style entertainment. One of the best things about German grounds is the way that clubs can use the space inside the perimeter fence and not within the stands themselves.
That's what Murrayfield is like.

I like the idea of the perimeter fence thing but its absolute fantasy land stuff. Ibrox and its location / footprint doesn't lend itself to make such a thing happen and the cost would be astronomical. You're talking digging up ground to run cables and actually build walls / fencing / turnstiles. Even if it was possible that runs into several millions, which if we are talking about stadium improvement could be used inside the concourses.

Listening to Gary Nevilles rant after the Brentford match a couple weeks ago he mentioned Old Trafford and it becoming a rusted mess that's been neglected. We all know about the neglect of the Spiv era at Ibrox but those 3 stands were structurally built to last 100 years and unless we enter the land of milk and honey elsewhere (never), all that will happen in the concourses are general maintenance, upkeep and sorting arising defects.

Everything can always be better but first and foremost it is a football stadium and whilst it is aging it is perfectly fit for purpose.

Nothing wrong with Ibrox, style and capacity wise, as it is now, needs a good update and we're fine
75k bowl you can shove up yer arse, soulless stadia, there's a reason Ibrox is admired from all over.
The footprint is easily and quickly modernised and the Broomloan, Copland and Argyle House could have cladding fitted to them like the Allianz Arena for example only in blue.
Updated stadium without rebuilding.

No need to increase capacity. If it's structurally feasible then maybe replace the screens with seats and punt away fans back to BF1/BR1.

Its the surrounding area that needs upgrading. Extra facilities for families, big bar, museum, cafe & restaurant. Attract people to make a full day of matchday. Stadium catering needs ripped up and started again. Rebuild Ibrox train station. Install a proper bike parking facility.
I’ve often wondered why we don’t start to buy up some of the land around Ibrox? Lest be honest, it can’t be the most sought after and it would mean we could build these cafe / restaurants that we could use in March days etc.

I like the idea of the perimeter fence thing but its absolute fantasy land stuff. Ibrox and its location / footprint doesn't lend itself to make such a thing happen and the cost would be astronomical. You're talking digging up ground to run cables and actually build walls / fencing / turnstiles. Even if it was possible that runs into several millions, which if we are talking about stadium improvement could be used inside the concourses.

Listening to Gary Nevilles rant after the Brentford match a couple weeks ago he mentioned Old Trafford and it becoming a rusted mess that's been neglected. We all know about the neglect of the Spiv era at Ibrox but those 3 stands were structurally built to last 100 years and unless we enter the land of milk and honey elsewhere (never), all that will happen in the concourses are general maintenance, upkeep and sorting arising defects.

Everything can always be better but first and foremost it is a football stadium and whilst it is aging it is perfectly fit for purpose.

The big problem is the road running past the main stand. Thats closed on match day anyway, but it wouldn't be practical for the other 6 days a week. Edmiston Drive would need to be rerouted. There's probably enough space around the Copland and Broomloan. Not so much behind the Govan/SJ stand, but the area behind what'll replace Edmiston House is also a decent area that could be used for so much more before games. If it could have been done then there would be plenty of opportunities to improve things for fans on match days.

Would love to see Coldplay style wristbands, but red, white and blue. Dim the lights at the champions league music at start and have them flashing all over the stadium.

Same can be done using a mobile phone app. Glasgow Clan used to use it until the firm developing the app started charging full whack for businesses to use it.

Crowd Glow

The footprint is easily and quickly modernised and the Broomloan, Copland and Argyle House could have cladding fitted to them like the Allianz Arena for example only in blue.
Totally agree with that. The daft fabric banners right at the top of each stand look dirty now, and they’ve only been up 2 years max. The broomloan one was ripped badly for a few weeks too. Makes the place look a bit shabby. If there was cladding fitted in blue, it would take the dirty old brickwork look away and modernise the place almost instantly. Surely we can look to spend a few quid on the facilities, concourses, toilets etc and freshen it right up. It’s long, long overdue. Once the Edmiston House is opened up, the footprint will have improved and activated pre match will be far better.

Totally agree with that. The daft fabric banners right at the top of each stand look dirty now, and they’ve only been up 2 years max. The broomloan one was ripped badly for a few weeks too. Makes the place look a bit shabby. If there was cladding fitted in blue, it would take the dirty old brickwork look away and modernise the place almost instantly. Surely we can look to spend a few quid on the facilities, concourses, toilets etc and freshen it right up. It’s long, long overdue. Once the Edmiston House is opened up, the footprint will have improved and activated pre match will be far better.
A full blue neon wrap around the stadium would look awesome, incorporating the iconic blue gates obviously.
Surely someone can mock up this image?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are for our stadium going forward ,it's fantastic iconic stadium and it has had deserved europe wide acclaim and plaudits,especially this season .
But there is a lot could be done in and around the stadium to improve it money permitting .
what would you like to see done to the place over the next decade .
Well one things for sure to increase capacity, we can’t dig down the way (who wants to view feet) it has to be the corners, IF? we can overcome engineering problems.

Cost dependent , we should look at expanding and modernising the Copland and broomloan stands .

There’s plenty of room to develop both

Not sure.

For league games tickets are easy to come by.
For singles yes

But for pairs or more no

For example my 2 kids I'm having to get them my gers points to get them enough points to buy single season tickets anywhere in the ground for them

I will have to get rid of tickets as kids can not sit alone till eventually can get seat moves for 2 tickets together.

The stadium is fine for current attendees and the odd person going but for future it isn't a people are living longer season tickets are hard to come by in 2/3

They need to start with making the disabled facilities much much better!

Hard to believe in the modern day world they get away with it!
I’ve heard from a few folk that the disabled facilities are terrible. If that is the case it is shocking nothing has been done about it.

Hypothetically, if we can get 5 years of cl money in a row (very hard, I know) I reckon the board would have to make a call regarding capacity for sure

I’ve heard from a few folk that the disabled facilities are terrible. If that is the case it is shocking nothing has been done about it.

I sit behind the wheelchair section in the East Enclosure and it really is scandalous.

If it rains they get soaked.
They must be pretty much below the level of the pitch so struggle to see the game.
The area is grotty.
The wheelchair toilet facilities are within the concourse so when the area is mobbed it must be a nightmare to navigate.

What they require (I could be wrong as i’m not a wheelchair user) is their own area which is elevated above the pitch that is covered and their own area within the concourse where they can go the toilet, prepare food and relax.

See Old Trafford if you want to see how it should be done.

This is defo the way forward , concourses , toilets etc upgrade , tbh I don’t see that as a huge cost, I would say this will be done in due course, the club needed to replace the 3 roofs and underside cladding first , the cladding will be finished this year .

Same can be done using a mobile phone app. Glasgow Clan used to use it until the firm developing the app started charging full whack for businesses to use it.

Crowd Glow

It's not a Coldplay concert and shouldn't be anything like one. Fair enough if Braehead Clan want to do it but i hope we keep this embarrassing shite away from football and definitely from Ibrox.

I think it was John Bennett who said there will be some more stadium expansion in the medium term but the priority first is Edmiston House and the Blue sky lounge .

I’ve often wondered why we don’t start to buy up some of the land around Ibrox? Lest be honest, it can’t be the most sought after and it would mean we could build these cafe / restaurants that we could use in March days etc.
We’re selling land at the albion, not buying it.

Unless you’ve got a way of using it to generate revenue, it goes from being an asset to a liability. We’ve already got Ed House under construction and seeing how long that’s taken, I can’t imagine there’s much appetite to start knocking down the industrial units nearby to build more.

The Govan rear is not a tip. It maybe tired and in need of a refresh but it’s not a tip.
I’ve been to dozens on stadiums in the last few years and the Govan rear is an absolute coup. I sit in GR1. The toilets are some of the worst I’ve ever seen, old wooden toilet seats, tiles falling off the walls, graffiti, no hot water, no hand dryers, broken toilet roll holders. Then the general state of the concourse - hasn’t been painted in decades, floor is about 10 different colours and then come half time there’s a nice aroma of 5000 cigarettes that’s fills the place while you’re trying to eat a pie.

I’m all for looking at the positives but you can’t polish a jobby.

we have the best main stand facade in the world, but whoever put all those blue and white boxes in the big arch window way up above the main entrance needs their arse kicked

Last edited:
I think we certainly need refurbishment before capacity increase,Do it in sections maybe a five year plan,
Don’t know other Bears opinion but I’m surprised our crowds are actually keeping up in this financial climate,The price of transport must be going through the roof and the whole cost of living is just going to get worse if predictions are right.

Think it would cost more than 75k

Well, somebody had to.:D

This would be ideal but probably way too costly.
Think our only, and again difficult and expensive, options are filling the corners or adding a structure to the Sandy Jardine, but we’d need to be careful not to lose the symmetry of the arena.

The cheapest way to increase capacity is by having safe standing at a ratio greater than 1 to 1. I'd imagine 1 to 1.3 or 1 to 1.5 could work but only if, the big IF, permission is granted. They allow it in europe so why not here?

A more expensive option, but cheaper than knocking down stands, would be to follow the example of Dortmund. I think they removed the roofs and added more rows at the back using cantilever supports in the corners to hold up the replacement roofs. I think this would enable us to fill in corners as well. Probably too expensive though.

giphy.gif
Did we not openly mock Celtic for having disco lights?

I don't think much will change in ten years. They should definately make an effort with sprucing up the facade of the 3 stands, they just look tired.
If money was no object you just knock the 3 stands down and re-build 3/4 of what Spurs have done. We'll be long in the ground before this happens though.
Our main stand though is a masterpiece, I was in it just today and absolutely blown away. I'd like to think it will still be there in centuries to come.

Have we though? Outwith Celtic and later stages in Europe tickets are readily available
No we haven’t

We are on Mygers to get on season ticket list for 3 tickets and will never get them unless there is a stadium expansion , so will continue to give the club £150 per year for nothing

No need to increase capacity. If it's structurally feasible then maybe replace the screens with seats and punt away fans back to BF1/BR1.

Its the surrounding area that needs upgrading. Extra facilities for families, big bar, museum, cafe & restaurant. Attract people to make a full day of matchday. Stadium catering needs ripped up and started again. Rebuild Ibrox train station. Install a proper bike parking facility.
No need to increase capacity ? Really ?

Any idea how many fans are on the waiting list for season tickets , last I heard was 8,000 on Mygers

Back