Ibrox stadium, what's it going to be like in ten years time

Anyone got any blueprints or plans, even links to where I can view them. I was floating a plan to try and learn to do a new Ibrox in Blender or Unreal Engine or something like that. Something that could be a killer new stadium. Modern with a nod to the past in there.

we have the best main stand facade in the world, but whoever put all those blue and white boxes in the big varch window way up above the main entrance needs their arse kicked
I've noticed this for a while now. It's like boxes of printer paper or something.

It's not a Coldplay concert and shouldn't be anything like one. Fair enough if Braehead Clan want to do it but i hope we keep this embarrassing shite away from football and definitely from Ibrox.

I'd rather we didn't do it either.

But the poster I replied to fancies the idea and it can be done with phones rather than wristbands.

Who are in the offices in the stadium? Club staff or do the club rent out the space?
Grossly underused. The broomloan offices have the RYDC, but they could easily move to the ticket office. As far as I can tell, the Copland have been empty for years. I’ve been in both and they are very big spaces. The most obvious use would be bar72 type spaces - more revenue and a better fan experience.

how do we upgrade without moving is my question?
We don’t. The price of a new stadium would be in the mid 100s of millions for even a basic rebuild. Spurs new stadium cost north of 1bn.

As long as we play in Scotland and don’t have a Saudi billionaire owner, we’ll have the same stadium with some basic maintenance and minimal capacity increases focussed on hospitality (more expensive) tickets.

Ibrox will probably look exactly as it does now in 10 years. Imagine the signs outside might have changed a bit mind you.

Why wait 5 years?

I don’t think fans would mind if we had a stadium sponsor these days. Pepsi, Coke, Apple, any big company happy to give us a million a year or similar. Free money Ibrox will always be Ibrox
You’re in dreamland if you think a blue chip company has any interest in us, or Celtic for that matter. If they did, we wouldn’t be in commercial agreements with so many uncommon firms already.

That’s why we’ve got a gambling firm on the front of our shirt, a start up sportswear company making out kits, a defunct NFT company on the rear of our shirts and Biowave who nobody had ever heard of plastered over our stands.

The appeal just isn’t there. We play in a footballing backwater for 80% of our games. We have a timeslot for games on sky when people are still having breakfast on a Sunday and we have a limited audience of a couple of million max in Scotland.

Expansion on capacity and improved ticket office facility. Maybe an improvement for the experience of the disabled fans as they look very exposed with the set up.

I’m not too bothered about anything else really. We aren’t a tourist club so spending lots to modernize the concourses probably not a priority.

Expansion on capacity and improved ticket office facility. Maybe an improvement for the experience of the disabled fans as they look very exposed with the set up.

I’m not too bothered about anything else really. We aren’t a tourist club so spending lots to modernize the concourses probably not a priority.
The concourses being modernised would be for the fans who use them every other Saturday. We put enough money into the club to deserve a 21st century experience with clean toilets and decent facilities, not to impress tourists.

The concourses being modernised would be for the fans who use them every other Saturday. We put enough money into the club to deserve a 21st century experience with clean toilets and decent facilities, not to impress tourists.
Personally I’m less fussed and wouldn’t mind the money going elsewhere.

Personally I’m less fussed and wouldn’t mind the money going elsewhere.
I’m not talking about spending millions. Some basic plumbing, tiling and painting. It’s our home and I want it to look respectable and reflect the standards of the club. There’s no need for us to let the place go to the dogs. A couple of hundred grand would bring the whole place up to a decent level then it’s just maintenance.

I've been going 20 years and almost nothing has changed.
I have been in the Club Deck since it opened in 1991 and apart from the recent introduction of the Fan Village nothing has changed for the better. The catering is a lot worse and the concourse/toilets need work done.

I think in 10 years time we will have expanded the capacity to meet demand. Wouldn’t be a huge increase but it is possible.

We retain the most beautiful incredible Main Stand in world football. In a hundred years that won't have changed. I think people should realise the value that adds to our club.

No need to increase capacity ? Really ?

Any idea how many fans are on the waiting list for season tickets , last I heard was 8,000 on Mygers

The payback for 8,000 extra season tickets against the cost of creating an extra 8,000-10,000 seats is too small to make it feasible.

Excuse the ignorance as I live in the states, and I’m sure this has been done to death, but why couldn’t the corners be filled in?
Is it a financial issue or mainly a structural one?

Excuse the ignorance as I live in the states, and I’m sure this has been done to death, but why couldn’t the corners be filled in?
Is it a financial issue or mainly a structural one?
It’s a structural issue which causes a financial issue if the club try to fill the corners full height.

The Copland, Broomloan and Sandy Jardine stand roofs are held up by goalpost shaped frames. The top part is the big box that you can see running across the roofs near the front of them. To fill the corners full height you’d need to completely re-roof the three stands. A potentially cheaper alternative would be to replace the goalpost structures whilst supporting the roofs in situ during the close season. You could also do that to the two ends but put a new cantilever roof on the Sandy Jardine which would also open up the potential for a third tier on the top. Incidentally, that’s where I’d put the away support if it was ever done. But, as you can imagine, the costs involved aren’t really inconsiderable

I’ve been to dozens on stadiums in the last few years and the Govan rear is an absolute coup. I sit in GR1. The toilets are some of the worst I’ve ever seen, old wooden toilet seats, tiles falling off the walls, graffiti, no hot water, no hand dryers, broken toilet roll holders. Then the general state of the concourse - hasn’t been painted in decades, floor is about 10 different colours and then come half time there’s a nice aroma of 5000 cigarettes that’s fills the place while you’re trying to eat a pie.

I’m all for looking at the positives but you can’t polish a jobby.
I’ve been to dozens of stadiums as well. They must’ve been different ones tho’ , because I ‘ve seen some real I don’t know about polishing a jobby, but you obviously have to go for a jobby at the match if you know as much detail regarding the cubicles. I’ve never been in a cubicle so can’t comment. I’d agree that the concourse looks tired - my point was that it is not ‘a tip’. Regarding the aroma of cigarettes, that is down to the behaviour of some of our fans who openly flout the laws on smoking. Strangely enough, it would not surprise me if some of the same people post on here complaining about the state of the stadium.
There’s no doubt that there is work required to refresh the stadium. It might be an idea to refrain from making any signings for a couple of years so that a comprehensive makeover can be carried out.

Grossly underused. The broomloan offices have the RYDC, but they could easily move to the ticket office. As far as I can tell, the Copland have been empty for years. I’ve been in both and they are very big spaces. The most obvious use would be bar72 type spaces - more revenue and a better fan experience.

it was Club 1872’s registered office until Jan of this year but I remember seeing an entire floor available for rent a couple of years ago.

I think a premium matchday space is the way to go too. Hospitality used to be a thing for the well off, but now there is a huge demand from a more casual market.

Are there office spaces that could be used for Lite Hospitality?

Doesn’t need to be a seat to go out to the match. If there’s demand there for screenings of games when team are away and pubs full round the corner.

Having rooms to block book for parties/groups. And big screens.

A lick of paint / replacement to the outer panels would be a starting point.

An issue which surely wouldn’t cost that much to address but for whatever reason hasn’t been.

I hate to say it because our main stand is a thing of beauty, but approaching the ground from any other end it’s a bit of an eyesore.

I’ve been to dozens of stadiums as well. They must’ve been different ones tho’ , because I ‘ve seen some real I don’t know about polishing a jobby, but you obviously have to go for a jobby at the match if you know as much detail regarding the cubicles. I’ve never been in a cubicle so can’t comment. I’d agree that the concourse looks tired - my point was that it is not ‘a tip’. Regarding the aroma of cigarettes, that is down to the behaviour of some of our fans who openly flout the laws on smoking. Strangely enough, it would not surprise me if some of the same people post on here complaining about the state of the stadium.
There’s no doubt that there is work required to refresh the stadium. It might be an idea to refrain from making any signings for a couple of years so that a comprehensive makeover can be carried out.
Yes mate, I’ll admit in the 22 years I’ve been going to Ibrox that I’ve used the toilet, you’ve got me there.

It’s a bit OTT to suggest not signing players. We should be able to provide modern day facilities that meet the standards of the club that we all expect - some basic painting, plumbing and joinery work, without having to compromise on our first team budget. A couple of hundred grand over 2 seasons would make a massive difference to the worst concourses.

Are there office spaces that could be used for Lite Hospitality?

Doesn’t need to be a seat to go out to the match. If there’s demand there for screenings of games when team are away and pubs full round the corner.

Having rooms to block book for parties/groups. And big screens.
Yes - all the offices that run the length of the Copland and Broomloan stands. Clear them out, rip out the partition walls and voila, you’ve got a space you can kit out like bar72

The payback for 8,000 extra season tickets against the cost of creating an extra 8,000-10,000 seats is too small to make it feasible.
Any capacity increase will be focussed on hospitality. We can make the same from 600 hospitality seats as we do from 6k regular seats.

Yes - all the offices that run the length of the Copland and Broomloan stands. Clear them out, rip out the partition walls and voila, you’ve got a space you can kit out like bar72
Would be a good thing to do and wouldn’t suprise me if it was on the agenda in some form.

Hospitality seems to be the main thing that’s getting the push.

Dead space in the ground makes no money.

Yes mate, I’ll admit in the 22 years I’ve been going to Ibrox that I’ve used the toilet, you’ve got me there.

It’s a bit OTT to suggest not signing players. We should be able to provide modern day facilities that meet the standards of the club that we all expect - some basic painting, plumbing and joinery work, without having to compromise on our first team budget. A couple of hundred grand over 2 seasons would make a massive difference to the worst concourses.
A couple of hundred grand would make A LOT difference than you’d imagine.

It’s a structural issue which causes a financial issue if the club try to fill the corners full height.

The Copland, Broomloan and Sandy Jardine stand roofs are held up by goalpost shaped frames. The top part is the big box that you can see running across the roofs near the front of them. To fill the corners full height you’d need to completely re-roof the three stands. A potentially cheaper alternative would be to replace the goalpost structures whilst supporting the roofs in situ during the close season. You could also do that to the two ends but put a new cantilever roof on the Sandy Jardine which would also open up the potential for a third tier on the top. Incidentally, that’s where I’d put the away support if it was ever done. But, as you can imagine, the costs involved aren’t really inconsiderable
Perfect.
So going by what you say there was never any intention to do this in the future, when they were built?
Shame.
Oh well.Just a thought.

Appreciate your response BM.

Back