"Ibrox" without the unionbears

I think if the club were smart they should offer that type of deal.

They would if they had any intention whatsoever of having a singing section or implementing safe standing .

Hearing stuff like “ it won’t be next season , it’s just too early “ for a move to BF3 to bears who haven’t been monitoring the UB may think that sounds fair enough .

I have been watching and listening and the union bears have been hearing the same guff from the club for twelve years . It’s always “ not this season “ fobbed off and now they are realising they are being led by the nose .

Again already we have our SLO on here managing expectations by saying “ safe standing isn’t off the table BUT IT WONT BE NEXT season and perhaps not even the following season “ :rolleyes:I mean it’s little wonder people get fed up with that kind of answer , as if putting safe standing in is some sort of revolutionary and difficult task that no other club has managed . That’s not a dig at the SLO as he is at least coming on here and telling people the club stance on it , which is an improvement on before if nothing else . I bet you anything you want it’s not his preference either but he can’t and won’t come out against the board here not a chance .

People won’t be fobbed off any more by bullshit , everyone knows safe standing CAN be implemented quickly , is not expensive , various models across Europe can be used .

I’d have more respect for the club if they just come out and admit they DO NOT WANT the union bears , they do not want a singing section and they certainly can’t be arsed with safe standing . Just tell the truth and stop trying to kid people on and muck them about for once .

Last edited:
The question still stands.

Would the UB be prepared to clean up the song book in return for a safe standing area?

You do know that when we play the bheasts and in any game where TBB gets full pelt, it’s not just the UB that sing it, it’s the vast majority inside the stadium?

There point/protest is working IMO and it is threefold.

a) telling board they are not happy with their stance
b) showing the manager and players how shite Ibrox is without their input
c) illustrating how poor the other stands are with their non existent backing of the team

I back the UB's difficult - but necessary - stance 100%.

Mate they lost so much respect and undone all the good things they have achieved in what happened at start of second half against Aberdeen.

The longer they continue their protests the stronger the resolve against them will be from other fans never mind the board

Are they being treated like children by the board, could the board deal with it better definitely however they are now acting out like children and using a negative protest to get there point across.

But they are acting like children.

Negative protests never work unless your next step is not coming back as that is the only next step.

Positive actions singing dancing bring the crowd alive etc give you something to go with and keep pushing for more

Need to explain this to me.

They stood and watched the game, same as 48k others that didn’t start any songs
There was plenty of attempts at singing and encouraging the team. It was a poor atmosphere largely down to what was happening on the park but the rest of the support didn't change from any other game, refuse to back the team or ask others to do likewise.

Seems to me that the UB's think they are Rangers.

I have thought that they should get moved because they do a great job of supporting the team. Unfortunately the protest that held up the restart was a step too far. We needed the game to get underway and get at them.The delay played into Aberdeens hands.

They would if they had any intention whatsoever of having a singing section or implementing safe standing .

Hearing stuff like “ it won’t be next season , it’s just too early “ for a move to BF3 to bears who haven’t been monitoring the UB may think that sounds fair enough .

I have been watching and listening and the union bears have been hearing the same guff from the club for twelve years . It’s always “ not this season “ fobbed off and now they are realising they are being led by the nose .

Again already we have our SLO on here managing expectations by saying “ safe standing isn’t off the table BUT IT WONT BE NEXT season and perhaps not even the following season “ :rolleyes:I mean it’s little wonder people get fed up with that kind of answer , as if putting safe standing in is some sort of revolutionary and difficult task that no other club has managed .

People won’t be fobbed off any more by bullshit , everyone knows safe standing CAN be implemented quickly , is not expensive , various models across Europe can be used .

I’d have more respect for the club if they just come out and admit they DO NOT WANT the union bears , they do not want a singing section and they certainly can’t be arsed with safe standing . Just tell the truth and stop trying to kid people on and muck them about for once .

Safe standing isn’t happening in the summer. That was told to the UB at the meeting one month ago. Next summer is a possibility but there has been zero progress since that meeting.

If the club didn’t want this to proceed it would’ve been stopped by now.

An honest dialogue includes telling people things they don’t agree with or don’t want to hear.

Again already we have our SLO on here managing expectations by saying “ safe standing isn’t off the table BUT IT WONT BE NEXT season and perhaps not even the following season “ :rolleyes:I mean it’s little wonder people get fed up with that kind of answer , as if putting safe standing in is some sort of revolutionary and difficult task that no other club has managed . That’s not a dig at the SLO as he is at least coming on here and telling people the club stance on it , which is an improvement on before if nothing else . I bet you anything you want it’s not his preference either but he can’t and won’t come out against the board here not a chance .

This hits the nail bang on the head.

The fobbing off from the club is tiresome.

"looking into it" "not next season" "evaluating things". Do they think we're buttoned up the back??!!

Clubs in Germany just got on and did it. No fuss. No fannying around. Christ even the mentally challengeds saw sense.

The personnel within our club may be ok at paying the bills - but there is a hell of a lot more to a football club - and fans are at the core of it. I expect better.

The UB's have actually GAINED even more respect from me over their stance.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why Ibrox is in inverted commas in the title.

It’s still Ibrox even without the UB.

Need to explain this to me.

They stood and watched the game, same as 48k others that didn’t start any songs
Exactly.

I find it utterly remarkable that fans are moaning that the UB's were not singing........while the rest of the stadium.....were not singing. You couldn't make it up!

The irony is incredible.

How are they?

They spend thousands of pounds of displays, flags & the rest. They spend hundreds of hours of their spare time organising displays and the like. They put a massive amount of effort it & in return all they want is for Ibrox to be even louder.

I just don’t get the thinking behind “they think they’re better fans”, just screams bitterness to me which is very strange.

They are campaigning for safe standing to be introduced to Ibrox, which 90% of fans want and just less than half of the 90% want to stand in it.

The selfish patter is a load of fucking shite, pathetic.
Not having a dig at you but where is the 90% figure coming from?
Seen post last week saying 85% and some in the past going as high as 99%. Not all the fans have been asked as far as im aware so wondering where folk get these percentages from

Safe standing isn’t happening in the summer. That was told to the UB at the meeting one month ago. Next summer is a possibility but there has been zero progress since that meeting.

An honest dialogue includes telling people things they don’t agree with or don’t want to hear.

I agree , and I really appreciate the fact you come on here and let people know what the lie of the land is . It’s something you don’t need to do .

It’s just a personal observation that the seemingly endless delay in either safe standing or in particular moving the “singing section” to a more prominent position can only point to one thing- the club don’t want to do it or have very little enthusiasm for it . It’s not a new thing , the same conversation crops up year in year .

If there was proper dialogue, a relationship with the club , common sense would tell you the UB/singing section would have expanded by now and would have a more central location in BF3. To just say every year “ not this year, logistics “ , after a while becomes white noise .

It looks like we are heading for no union bears at all , but more importantly this isn’t about the union bears specifically ,we are heading towards an Ibrox match day with no singing section at all - and that is going to be pretty grim .Possibly the quietest 50,000 crowd every fortnight in Europe. To those who say Ibrox was fine before the UB and any signing section - it wasn’t fine it was heading towards the library it now is .

When I started going to Ibrox 40 years ago we had crowds of 16,000 who made more noise than 50,000 today . Times have changed . We need a singing section and we are going to lose it . Let’s see how it goes .

I agree , and I really appreciate the fact you come on here and let people know what the lie of the land is . It’s something you don’t need to do .

It’s just a personal observation that the seemingly endless delay in either safe standing or in particular moving the “singing section” to a more prominent position can only point to one thing- the club don’t want to do it or have very little enthusiasm for it . It’s not a new thing , the same conversation crops up year in year .

If there was proper dialogue, a relationship with the club , common sense would tell you the UB/singing section would have expanded by now and would have a more central location in BF3. To just say every year “ not this year, logistics “ , after a while becomes white noise .

It looks like we are heading for no union bears at all , but more importantly this isn’t about the union bears specifically ,we are heading towards an Ibrox match day with no singing section at all - and that is going to be pretty grim .Possibly the quietest 50,000 crowd every fortnight in Europe. To those who say Ibrox was fine before the UB and any signing section - it wasn’t fine it was heading towards the library it now is .

When I started going to Ibrox 40 years ago we had crowds of 16,000 who made more noise than 50,000 today . Times have changed . We need a singing section and we are going to lose it . Let’s see how it goes .

It’s not really an endless delay in safe standing. Previously it was something that was a nice idea but we weren’t sure where to put it or if there was demand. Following the surveys and the work of The UB and 1872 there was shown to be demand. The fans survey identified the Broomloan and the move of celtic fans to the corner provided the opportunity to implement it in the Broomloan. They were big steps forward. When I first came in the enclosure was still being mooted as an option (which doesn’t fit the broadcasting visibility cretieria that should be part of any area we wish to have displays in). I think it’s easy to forget progress if the result isn’t achieved yet. But progress takes time.

If safe standing was the only project on the books then it may have been achieved already but it’s not. Massive ongoing works are continually being done. This summer the roofing work continues. The pitch is being done, as well as the track around the pitch, the changes to the players area are going ahead, we have the works up at the trainings centre including the new stand. These all take up club resources (beyond just money).

I know it’s easy to ask for patience and hard to live it but we are still working through the consequences of the toughest time in our history. We are getting there.

Seen post last week saying 85% and some in the past going as high as 99%. Not all the fans have been asked as far as im aware so wondering where folk get these percentages from

It’s from the fan survey in which 5800 ST holders responded.

It’s not really an endless delay in safe standing. Previously it was something that was a nice idea but we weren’t sure where to put it or if there was demand. Following the surveys and the work of The UB and 1872 there was shown to be demand. The fans survey identified the Broomloan and the move of celtic fans to the corner provided the opportunity to implement it in the Broomloan. They were big steps forward. When I first came in the enclosure was still being mooted as an option (which doesn’t fit the broadcasting visibility cretieria that should be part of any area we wish to have displays in). I think it’s easy to forget progress if the result isn’t achieved yet. But progress takes time.

If safe standing was the only project on the books then it may have been achieved already but it’s not. Massive ongoing works are continually being done. This summer the roofing work continues. The pitch is being done, as well as the track around the pitch, the changes to the players area are going ahead, we have the works up at the trainings centre including the new stand. These all take up club resources (beyond just money).

I know it’s easy to ask for patience and hard to live it but we are still working through the consequences of the toughest time in our history. We are getting there.

I appreciate that and take your point in safe standing .

I was speaking more about the situation of expanding the singing section and moving it more centrally , it seems to crop up every season it’s like Groundhog Day .

It’s got to the point one way or another either the club just come out and say they are not moving it , or actually do it , this procrastinating every close season only for the UB to protest then end up in BF1 again the next year is getting tiresome for everyone now .

As I said I think we are very close to no singing section at all , some seem to take great delight in that scenario , the reality is it would be a real blow in terms of any kind of matchday atmosphere at our ground .

I appreciate that and take your point in safe standing .

I was speaking more about the situation of expanding the singing section and moving it more centrally , it seems to crop up every season it’s like Groundhog Day .

It’s got to the point one way or another either the club just come out and say they are not moving it , or actually do it , this procrastinating every close season only for the UB to protest then end up in BF1 again the next year is getting tiresome for everyone now .

As I said I think we are very close to no singing section at all , some seem to take great delight in that scenario , the reality is it would be a real blow in terms of any kind of matchday atmosphere at our ground .

Moving the section centrally may be discussed online but I’ve only been involved with one discussion of that happening independently of safe standing and it was at the last meeting following the confirmation that safestanding wouldn’t be happening this summer. So on that front there was no project/proposal to consider or move forward and personally I think the focus should be on doing both the move and safestanding in the one go if we can get that over the line.

I can almost guarantee that we will be sitting here this time next season and the club will "still be looking into it", "but it will not be next season".

We've seen this movie before.

Where there is a will there is a way. Where there is lack of intent, no progress will happen.

Reactions: MSF
out of 45k , 5800 responded ?

so thats 5800 supporters that might not fully understand or acknowledge some of the issues ?

We have 46,500 season ticket holders but yes. There was no specific context on the question.

From memory it was alongside the lines of:

Do you wish to see safe standing implemented at Ibrox?

A. Yes and I want to move there
Yes but not for me
No

The no’s then got asked a follow up of why they didn’t want it to happen.

They were also asked which section it should be in.

I can almost guarantee that we will be sitting here this time next season and the club will "still be looking into it", "but it will not be next season".

We've seen this movie before.

Where there is a will there is a way. Where there is lack of intent, no progress will happen.

I disagree. Either the board points will be satisfactorily answered and we can progress or they won’t and it will be shelved.

I think they've been brilliant for the atmosphere at Ibrox and if it wasn't for them the place would be like a library at times but this huff they've took with the club is bit of a joke if it's not going to happen it's not going to happen some of them are full of to much self importance. At the end of that day there not going to disband or stop being the union bears if they don't get there own way as it's a way of life for many of the young lads and I think the club see it that way as well they why there not that bothered. They should now be getting on with and be creating the good atmospheres they to every week instead of these protests

The atmosphere without them is dire but I can't see where they are going to get moved to improve things

I disagree. Either the board points will be satisfactorily answered and we can progress or they won’t and it will be shelved.
What do the board need answered satisfactorily ?

Installing safe standing is hardly the most difficult thing to do as has been proven at loads of clubs. Pick the section(s), seats out, reconfigure to safe standing, install, job done. 2-3 weeks work absolute max. Christ, I'll even give them a loan of my toolbox !

Are they not aware of the numerous examples where these have been implemented - with absolutely no issues ??

Constant fobbing off and barriers put in the way by this board.

They need to just get safe standing done and get on with it. 90%+ of the stadium will still be seated. What is being asked for by many fans including UB's is completely reasonable.

I honestly believe the best thing for everyone is that it’s firmly either one of the above . Either bin it altogether or get on with it . I hope it’s a positive outcome but if not we need to move on . The current impasse helps nobody .

What do the board need answered satisfactorily ?

Installing safe standing is hardly the most difficult thing to do as has been proven at loads of clubs. Pick the section(s), seats out, reconfigure to safe standing, install, job done. 2-3 weeks work absolute max. Christ, I'll even give them a loan of my toolbox !

Are they not aware of the numerous examples where these have been implemented - with absolutely no issues ??

Constant fobbing off and barriers put in the way by this board.

They need to just get safe standing done and get on with it. 90%+ of the stadium will still be seated. What is being asked for by many fans including UB's is completely reasonable.

The physical implementation is not a concern. Concerns are around stewarding/security, behavior (including songbook) and ensuring that those who consider safe standing as incompatible with the vision of Ibrox following the disaster are fully considered and their feelings addressed. These aren't insurmountable obstacles but if there is no due consideration over them then the chance of progression is significantly reduced.

The physical implementation is not a concern. Concerns are around stewarding/security, behavior (including songbook) and ensuring that those who consider safe standing as incompatible with the vision of Ibrox following the disaster are fully considered and their feelings addressed. These aren't insurmountable obstacles but if there is no due consideration over them then the chance of progression is significantly reduced.

Don't really follow this bit?

Don't really follow this bit?

Its a common concern re: Safe Standing at Ibrox. Many supporters feel that Ibrox should remain an all seater stadium as part of the legacy of the redevelopment following the Ibrox Disaster. I personally feel that safe standing does not alter the vision of ensuring that all supporters can attend the game safely but that you need to ensure that we have appropriate dialogue with those people who have such concerns.

Feels like our board need a wee trip to Germany to see how:

a) stewarding/security forms part of the normal stadium policy
b) Safe standing is exactly that - safe. In fact it is safer than standing and jumping/moving around in a seated area. So it would actually be safer than what we currently have in BF1.

We all respect what happened in the disaster - that's not even up for debate. But I do not think that this should have any influence on the decision to install a safe standing agree within Ibrox. It's a completely different ball game

I honestly believe the best thing for everyone is that it’s firmly either one of the above . Either bin it altogether or get on with it . I hope it’s a positive outcome but if not we need to move on . The current impasse helps nobody .

IMO there is no impasse - that implies that the club are at a point where we won't move in negotiations. The ball is in the UB court in regard to the concerns. I'll be delighted if they will meet and I can help them begin to answer they concerns.

They was a survey put out at the start of the season about various issues.

90% said they want safe standing
Just less than half of that amount said they’d move to the safe standing area
10% said they dont want safe standing

Feels like our board need a wee trip to Germany to see how:

a) stewarding/security forms part of the normal stadium policy
b) Safe standing is exactly that - safe. In fact it is safer than standing and jumping/moving around in a seated area. So it would actually be safer than what we currently have in BF1.

We all respect what happened in the disaster - that's not even up for debate. But I do not think that this should have any influence on the decision to install a safe standing agree within Ibrox. It's a completely different ball game

We aren't in Germany and fan behaviour is different here. Again those concerns aren't insurmountable at all its about giving the board comfort that the supporters pursuing this understand their role in ensuring the area is safe and manageable.
With all due respect, if you cannot see why the club have to consider the feeling around those with concerns related to the Ibrox Disaster then I fear you underestimate how that tragedy still hangs over the club. I don't think those concerns should stop its progress but the have to be acknowledged, understood and addressed.

Cheers, just saw that

Almost

90% wanted safe standing and just under 50% said they wanted it for themselves (the rest are happy for it to proceed but don't want to be in the area).

Of those 50% who wanted it just over 80% would be willing to move for it

It was skewed young with 16-44 year olds having a decent majority on wanting to be in a safe standing from those who responded. Older than that it dropped off dramatically

We aren't in Germany and fan behaviour is different here. Again those concerns aren't insurmountable at all its about giving the board comfort that the supporters pursuing this understand their role in ensuring the area is safe and manageable.
With all due respect, if you cannot see why the club have to consider the feeling around those with concerns related to the Ibrox Disaster then I fear you underestimate how that tragedy still hangs over the club. I don't think those concerns should stop its progress but the have to be acknowledged, understood and addressed.
Fan behaviour is different, as fans are far better behaved here, so not sure how that comes in ti it.

I may be wrong here, Greg, but when safe standing was previously mentioned, was it not stated that the mob from the east end were undertaking a trial for it, and any go ahead for rollout across the country was predicated on that?

I also think that trial period was supposed to be til the end of this season.

That would mean it would be well into next season before the results of the trial were published, along with the recommendations for going forward, then by the time the club has received, read, queried and obtained amended estimates from the companies involved we're looking at least 2 seasons, probably 3 to 4 before it would be in place.

As I said right at the start, I may be totally wrong with this, but I'm sure it was mentioned possibly at a previous AGM.

Fan behaviour is different ? How ? Come on - that's just another false negative thrown in unnecessarily.

I can see even more why UB's have taken their stance - every point raised is responded with a barrier or reasons to stifle progress. It's head against a brick wall stuff.

That's why I continue to back their stance 100%

I think it was below 200.

Thanks. I'm assuming they like to be right at the front of the stand, which in my opinion are actually the worst seats being nearest to pitch level. To accommodate them would then involve moving about the first 7 rows, A to G.
Of our 46500 season ticket holders what sort of percentage do not renew each season? If even as little as 1% do not renew then 450 odd seats are automatically available in other parts of the Stadium. Maybe those who sit in the front few rows of BF3 would actually appreciate the chance of a move. I know I would if I was seated down at pitch level.

[
I may be wrong here, Greg, but when safe standing was previously mentioned, was it not stated that the mob from the east end were undertaking a trial for it, and any go ahead for rollout across the country was predicated on that?

I also think that trial period was supposed to be til the end of this season.

That would mean it would be well into next season before the results of the trial were published, along with the recommendations for going forward, then by the time the club has received, read, queried and obtained amended estimates from the companies involved we're looking at least 2 seasons, probably 3 to 4 before it would be in place.

As I said right at the start, I may be totally wrong with this, but I'm sure it was mentioned possibly at a previous AGM.

I'm not involved with discussions with the local authorities over this but I think that will be something we have to deal with come the time but I can't see their section being removed and with that in mind I believe they would have a heard time refusing ours should we satisfy all the safety and planning criteria

Thanks. I'm assuming they like to be right at the front of the stand, which in my opinion are actually the worst seats being nearest to pitch level. To accommodate them would then involve moving about the first 7 rows, A to G.
Of our 46500 season ticket holders what sort of percentage do not renew each season? If even as little as 1% do not renew then 450 seats are automatically available in other parts of the Stadium. Maybe those who sit in the front few rows of BF3 would actually appreciate the chance of a move. I know I would if I was seated down at pitch level.

Its hard to tell the percentage this summer. But you need to factor in family groups. If there are multiple 3 or 4 member groups in BF 2/3 then logistically it could be a nightmare to move them. Though that is just one factor. The short time frame, the sight-lines, stewarding, zero engagment with those ST holders over any move also must be considered and for me it was too late for next season (granted the decision wasn't made by myself).

Although the move was for a relatively small number I would have expected those behind the UB who joined BF1 to be part of the club's official singing section would also wish to move so there is knock on effects

IMO there is no impasse - that implies that the club are at a point where we won't move in negotiations. The ball is in the UB court in regard to the concerns. I'll be delighted if they will meet and I can help them begin to answer they concerns.

That’s good to hear . If the concerns are chants / songs, the UB simply must adhere to what the club want . There can’t be any grey areas on that and I’m sure the UB and all fans need to appreciate that and move with the times . I have to say I haven’t heard much if any pope/IRA/sands rubbish at our games and I sit right behind the UB with my son .

That’s good to hear . If the concerns are chants / songs, the UB simply must adhere to what the club want . There can’t be any grey areas on that and I’m sure the UB and all fans need to appreciate that and move with the times . I have to say I haven’t heard much if any pope/IRA/sands rubbish at our games and I sit right behind the UB with my son .
being cowards..............

Fan behaviour is different ? How ? Come on - that's just another false negative thrown in unnecessarily.

I can see even more why UB's have taken their stance - every point raised is responded with a barrier or reasons to stifle progress. It's head against a brick wall stuff.

That's why I continue to back their stance 100%

I suspect that no matter what I said you would back that position. But if the concerns aren't addressed then it will not progress. Time to be pragmatic if your goal is to achieve safe standing. The questions asked aren't insurmountable at all imo.

Back