Is Gerrard too quick to get shot of certain players

Gerrard has favourites and they play even when not performing to be a great manager you have to be cut throat as it's your job that's on the line.

Read it again or did I not put enough punctuation marks in it for ye.
Just mind boggling why you'd recognise we need someone who can score and create from midfield, but also say we should bring McCrorie back.

Candeias wanted to either be a key player or leave. He wasn't going to be a key player (could he even play as a right sided 10 anyway? I don't think so) so he wanted to leave.

Candeias while hardly a world beater was probably better than Jones, Stewart, Kamberi, Ojo & Barker put together.

Candieas another one he was quick to get rid of who was always a goal threat, more so than aribo, kent and ojo
14 goals in 97 appearances (0.144 goals per game) says he really wasn't a goal threat.

Kent has 12 in 64 (0.188 goals per game) , Aribo has 6 in 34 (0.176 goals per game)

Even Ojo has 5 in 34 (0.147 goals per game)

And,as I've pointed out what feels like a thousand times since he went, Candeias wanted either wanted to be a key player or to leave.

Edit: changed it from percentages to goals per game. Had used percentages in error.

Candeias assists:

2017/18 P43 A9 (0.209 APG)
2018/19 P54 A10 (0.185 APG)

That's a combined assist rate of 0.196 per game, or to put that another way, one assist every 5 games.

Aribo currently has 7 assists in 34 (0.206 per game, also roughly 1 in 5)
Ojo has 5 in 36 (0.139 per game, or roughly 1 in 7)
Kent has 9 in 64 (0.141) which is remarkably close to Ojo (and much closer than I expected).

Aribo is a far better, and more effective player than Candeias.

Kent is a better goal threat, but significantly underperforming when it comes to goal creation (though I couldn't easily find the key pass stat - the pass before the assist).

Ojo and Candeias are 2 cheeks of the same behind in terms of output. Just people seem to prefer Candeias because he worked harder.

Don't understand his persistence playing some players. Worral last season and as much as I don't think Ojo is as bad as people make out here, he's another one that's on Gerrard's untouchable list.

Middleton was good for us then faded a bit. Hopefully a loan does him good.

Greg Stewart should get far more game time than he currently does. No clue what's up with that but whenever he's came on for us he always seem to score (The stats apparently don't back this up but I can't think of a game he's came on and been piss poor).

Jones I rated (especially pre injury) but there must've been attitude problems or something, there is absolutely no way he was sold based on performances.

Please not this attitude shit again with Jones!
There is no proof of this...
You just said Gerrard plays favorites.Can we not just accept Jones doesn’t fit in the system he chooses to play instead of tagging the guy with something that hasn’t been anywhere near proven?

Last edited:
Candeias assists:

2017/18 P43 A9 (0.209 APG)
2018/19 P54 A10 (0.185 APG)

That's a combined assist rate of 0.196 per game, or to put that another way, one assist every 5 games.

Aribo currently has 7 assists in 34 (0.206 per game, also roughly 1 in 5)
Ojo has 5 in 36 (0.139 per game, or roughly 1 in 7)
Kent has 9 in 64 (0.141) which is remarkably close to Ojo (and much closer than I expected).

Aribo is a far better, and more effective player than Candeias.

Kent is a better goal threat, but significantly underperforming when it comes to goal creation (though I couldn't easily find the key pass stat - the pass before the assist).

Ojo and Candeias are 2 cheeks of the same behind in terms of output. Just people seem to prefer Candeias because he worked harder.

Candelas chose…to leave.

Please not this attitude shit again with Jones!
There is no proof of this...
You just said Gerrard plays favorites.Can we not just accept Jones doesn’t fit in the system he chooses to play instead of tagging the guy with something that hasn’t been anywhere near proven?
Not when we have multiple other players in our team that consistently get game time and aren't being sold / loaned back that don't fit into our system. Bit hard to believe that's the case when those other players are getting a free ride but Gerrard wants rid of Jones. Which tells me there's something else going on specific to Jones and it's not his ability..

Candelas chose…to leave.
Candeias wanted to either be a key player or leave. He wasn't going to be a key player (could he even play as a right sided 10 anyway? I don't think so) so he wanted to leave.
And,as I've pointed out what feels like a thousand times since he went, Candeias wanted either wanted to be a key player or to leave.

Edit: changed it from percentages to goals per game. Had used percentages in error.
Yup, I'd already said that twice on the thread :))

Candeias
murphy
doc
middleton

all better players than barker/ojo

also the treatment of katic in particular is abysmal

I think Candeias wanted a guarantee he’d play every week which was never going to happen

2m on Grezda, 2 matches in a row and about 4 sub apps adding up to probably 45 mins.

grezda quickly became one of the best players in osijek, again

you can see that he has technical ability, superb transfer by osijek. for a couple hundred thousand euros we've got key first team player

few days ago he said that in scotland he missed croatian weather and food, and his mates from previous club. but you could see on him that he is disappointed for his failure in rangers

He had 2 matches in a row, this was a Mark Allen signing not a Gerrard or he'd had a chance. 2m down the drain without a fair shot. It's frustrating!

i’ll try, after deciphering it into coherent English to try and do so.

“2m on Grezda, 2 matches in a row and about 4 sub apps adding up to probably 45 mins. Kent played in like 8 matches in a row when he came in.”

Are you suggesting Grezda, who was injured and had a terrible attitude, should have been given more of a chance than Kent?

“Doc never given a chance even though he was equal to Aribo last season and in a worse team.”

Not sure what to make of this, are you comparing Docherty’s performances for Shrewsbury with Aribo’s at Charlton? Regardless, anyone with eyes and a brain can see that Aribo is a much better footballer.

“Murphy a goal scoring winger just papped out whilst we've not replaced Candeias yet.”

We don’t play with wingers.

“3 players from Liverpool, spunked 7m on one of them and we're none the better.”

Evidence suggests we are much better. Anyone that isn’t an over reactive panty pisser can see that.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood some of your points and got the wrong end of the stick, but that would be your fault.

Where's the Grezda attitude came from apart from the terrible spitting incident? He's done what he's told. Tell me why Gerrard allowed 2m on him coming in without him ever getting a chance. We cried about Pedro wasting money, Gerrard is no exception.

Regarding Docherty, well maybe as skilled footballers go, yes, he's better than Doc. In terms of fitting in and delivering. I think with the mirrored minutes Aribo has had, Docherty would have better stats than Aribo at our Club.

We don't play with wingers, yes and we cry about breaking down teams when it's our own fault. Playing a guy who's not capable as a No10 in that position, remember when Kent pulled two players wide thus creating space for likes of Arfield to run onto last season. We've binned that. Opposition Full backs can tuck in narrower and that extra man is not pulling out of position.

Regarding spunking 7m. Kent has failed to deliver on that, even if we paid 3m it'd look like that'd been too much and it's not even his fault. Like my above point, he's not being utilised to his strengths.

We've given Ojo and Ejaria 58 games between them in 2 seasons, yet our own bought players, Murphy, Doc and Grezda amongst others haven't had a look in, yes there are injuries but still, opportunities were definitely available to get them back in.

Honestly, why are we much better this season? Morelos has gotten even better and Katic and Goldson have been paired for longer.

Apologies about the grammar and Spelling previously. Tired and pee'd off.

Last edited:
He get's to see them train everyday so I trust his judgement.
So if Ojo is performing in training but not during games then thats ok. give or take a large proportion of the fans as are saying its not. He might be a wonderkid in training but he's not delivering anything on the park so why is SG continuing to play him. First sub against Aberdeen and all around me just sat back and groaned....

I think SG has done amazing things and will continue to do so but he must realise when a player isnt contributing on the park - surely?

So if Ojo is performing in training but not during games then thats ok. give or take a large proportion of the fans as are saying its not. He might be a wonderkid in training but he's not delivering anything on the park so why is SG continuing to play him. First sub against Aberdeen and all around me just sat back and groaned....

I think SG has done amazing things and will continue to do so but he must realise when a player isnt contributing on the park - surely?
He must be performing to Neil Murray esque levels in training.

Management team see these players day in day out so got to trust them.
You don’t have to trust them.

Ojo is simply Bizarre and he should be treated like Ejaria

The defence isn’t the issue so why the focus on Katic is beyond me:

our formation is an issue but we won’t change so %^*& it

Think he sees McCrorie having a big future at Rangers but not getting much game time this season so it made sense to get him out somewhere on loan.

could argue the others haven’t been given the chance to impress.
Could it be that these guys aren't impressing enogh in training to be considered worthy of an opportunity?

I don’t know if it’s a case of judging players too quickly, but he certainly has an issue with stubborn favouritism.

No squad should have ‘undroppables’ but he has them. And we all know he has a habit of looking to the same players who continually let us down.

This is one of the threads you always see after a poor result - the one that posits fringe players as the answer.

The only one I think we could be missing a trick with is McCrorie who has shown before that he can cut it for us in big games and whose more physical approach could have offered something different in games like Saturday and the trip to Tynecastle.

The rest? Nah.

I always wonder why managers get so stubborn and refuse to change formations, personnel. Loads of them do it even though teams have figured how to counteract it. You need to be adaptable, you can't keep playing 433 when teams have sussed out how to stop it working!

Back