Is saying” a win is a win” really acceptable?

Livingston on a freezing , wet and windy night was never going to be a pretty game. They have managed to draw twice with the scum already by playing park the bus and fight for everything tactics so i wasn't expecting different against us so in that sense delighted to just get the win.
In saying that it was like our team (1st half especially) were not expecting that approach from livi and we constantly slowed the game down and dallied on the ball. I think it is safe to say we need a new signing or two to give everyone a lift/kick up the backside.

A win is a win will be "acceptable" until it bites us on the arse & costs us points due to a poor performance.
It may seem contradictory but that is the facts but a decent manager should be addressibg the issues long before it costs us any more pointa & try & ensure we play a game that suits us.
For me we are being too negative
Players missing g hasn't helped but moving forward with players back there is no real excuse for how we set up especially away from home

A win is a win will be "acceptable" until it bites us on the arse & costs us points due to a poor performance.
It may seem contradictory but that is the facts but a decent manager should be addressibg the issues long before it costs us any more pointa & try & ensure we play a game that suits us.
For me we are being too negative
Players missing g hasn't helped but moving forward with players back there is no real excuse for how we set up especially away from home

Post after post after post of people moaning then countering their own moan with the realisation that other factors have contributed to a coupe of recent displays.

Our online fanbase are utter idiots.

This season we’ve put in more poor performances than good performances

It’s worrying.

Folk will point to the league table but we won’t continue to win games every week playing the way we are
You have to factor in the quality that was unable, for one reason or another, to start.
Any side would struggle in this situation.

Under last night's circumstances, including the weather conditions, any win was a good win.

Every bear I spoke to last night on the way to the game were of the same opinion. With that team get 3 points and move on to Saturday where we have Kent and Aribo back. Was always going to be a horrible night and we done what we needed to do.

Another nervy indifferent game where let’s face it, we were poor. It seems we play more of these games lately than really good performances. We should hammer these Diddy teams. We have much better players at every position yet we struggle. Ahhh %^*& it, a win is a win. Lol
Have you ever played football at any level?

We were miles better than Livi, had 4 or 5 chances to score, and this despite the God-awful conditions which made the game a total lottery.

I was playing 5s yesterday before the game and the conditions were atrocious, simple 5 yard passes getting blown off course by a gust of wind.

Winning last night was a sign of a team capable of winning a championship.

Well done to Gio and the lads.

We weren’t playing well in Gio’s first 8 games. Was a very mixed bag of performance levels

In his first 8 games we were average against Livi, atrocious against Hibs and relied on a late penalty, average away to Lyon albeit it was a dead game, and poor at home to Dundee Utd

Spot on, just relieved we got the 3pts but there is no denying in my mind that there have been more than a few pretty poor performances. However as long as 56 is delivered I really won't care on how some of these games were won.

Another nervy indifferent game where let’s face it, we were poor. It seems we play more of these games lately than really good performances. We should hammer these Diddy teams. We have much better players at every position yet we struggle. Ahhh %^*& it, a win is a win. Lol
Sometimes it isn't acceptable.
Sometimes it's unacceptable to be critical for critical sake.

Gale force winds.
Pissing of rain.
Freezing cold.
Shot cleared off the line.
2 x 50/50 penalty shouts not given.
Ball fizzed in behind the keeper and along the goal line 3 times.
Not a shot against.
Missing 6 key players.
4 of them back for the next game.
Attacking for 90 minutes.
Never giving up.
Getting the goal.
Something our main rivals couldn't do it their coresponding fixture.
3 points and a win.

Is it ever acceptable to be critical of taking 3 points given that situation.

I think I'd be visiting a psychiatrist if I got too down about last night.

This season we’ve put in more poor performances than good performances

It’s worrying.

Folk will point to the league table but we won’t continue to win games every week playing the way we are
If we play the way we have been at the piggery, then I fear the ball will be getting punted up the park at every chance and it'll be constant pressure on us for the full 90. People can say their shite and bury their heads but the fact is, that mob have went out and strengthened every position while we do what they done last season and let the team stagnate. Money is needing spent on 2 good players that will walk into the team. A right winger, like Kent, who can take the ball and run at defences. Scott Wright is a million miles off what we need and an Albertz type midfielder who can score from 20-30 yards and also pick early passes that open up defences. Also who can run with the ball and doesnt hide when things get tough. I know we've got players coming back but we still need they 2 players who will walk into the team. If we can't get that this window then I fear for us. That's just my 2 cents worth.

In my opinion yes it's OK to take mentality of a wins a win. We all want to win by a convincing margin but ultimately there are only three points available at a time. The important thing in terms of Rangers is that we will always aim for big scoring gap victories. The fact this question is asked really hammers home that the standard we demand is high and I really wouldn't have it any other way

We dont look like we have any real interest in scoring a second goal when we score the first. That's clearly a concern. It cost us at Pittodrie and almost cost us against Scumdee United at Ibrox.

Livingston on a freezing , wet and windy night was never going to be a pretty game. They have managed to draw twice with the scum already by playing park the bus and fight for everything tactics so i wasn't expecting different against us so in that sense delighted to just get the win.
In saying that it was like our team (1st half especially) were not expecting that approach from livi and we constantly slowed the game down and dallied on the ball. I think it is safe to say we need a new signing or two to give everyone a lift/kick up the backside.
They beat the scum 1-0 at home.

It’s fine to say a win is a win and hopefully the performances get better along with the wins as we get players back and more options appear.

Every bear I spoke to last night on the way to the game were of the same opinion. With that team get 3 points and move on to Saturday where we have Kent and Aribo back. Was always going to be a horrible night and we done what we needed to do.

That is what normal fans think though. Horrendous weather, stuffy difficult opposition and a starting 11 picked with fitness in mind and important games coming up. 3 points and home.

The online fan though? "Everything is terrible" "Every player should give a 10/10 performance and i wont accept anything less" "Why aren't we winning 10-0?"

If we play the way we have been at the piggery, then I fear the ball will be getting punted up the park at every chance and it'll be constant pressure on us for the full 90. People can say their shite and bury their heads but the fact is, that mob have went out and strengthened every position while we do what they done last season and let the team stagnate. Money is needing spent on 2 good players that will walk into the team. A right winger, like Kent, who can take the ball and run at defences. Scott Wright is a million miles off what we need and an Albertz type midfielder who can score from 20-30 yards and also pick early passes that open up defences. Also who can run with the ball and doesnt hide when things get tough. I know we've got players coming back but we still need they 2 players who will walk into the team. If we can't get that this window then I fear for us. That's just my 2 cents worth.
They have strengthened. No doubt about it and the players they bring in seem to have sn Immediate impact. Our lethargic approach to games perhaps doesn't help. Those on here refusing to accept the scum are capable of beating us next Wednesday are living in denial.

Our attitude has to be far better than it has been in away games like Easter Rd, Tynecastle and Pittodrie.

We're missing Morelos, Kent & Aribo (who are arguably our 3 best players) along with Helander, Davis & Hagi who would all be strong contenders for starting places. Also Roofe, Jack & Arfield were only fit enough to come off the bench so under the circumstances I think last night we can get away with saying "a win is a win".

With the players we had missing and the shit weather, this was a vital 3 points. It was about the win and not the performance.

Yes

There are always a batch of games in December/January where you need to grind in Scotland. It’s always been the same, last night was the epitome of the word grind. Win on Saturday and we go to their midden knowing we will be top after the game no matter what happens leading into a favourable run of home games.

Dunno if you were at the game or not, but the wind and rain made it almost impossible to play any sort of football.

On nights like that, a win is all that matters, particularly when the opposition are defending very deep and there's no space in behind them.

I would also remind you that this "diddy team" are unbeaten against Celtic this season and have taken 4 points out of 6 off them, whilst we've beaten them 3 times.

Getting wins like last night is fine if you're playing well in the games round about it.

Our problem is that's 2 games now where we've been terrible at best, 1 at Pittodrie where we probably got lucky to get a point & another last night.

We need a performance on Saturday, aye the result is the most important thing but it'll catch up with us fairly quickly if we keep playing the way we did last night.

It wasn't easy on the eye, but we dug in and took the three points - I'll take that over swashbuckling draws for the remainder of the season. We need to assume that lot won't give much away, so it's really all about what we do.

For those struggling for some perspective, I'd highly recommend the excellent 'Dominant' series on Heart & Hand which is currently charting the early Souness years. Listening back on the way to Ibrox last night, the number of dropped points and patchy performances on the way to the first of the 9-in-a-row titles was a reminder of the task at hand. Different times, different players, same objective - just win.

Keep the faith.

Sometimes it isn't acceptable.
Sometimes it's unacceptable to be critical for critical sake.

Gale force winds.
Pissing of rain.
Freezing cold.
Shot cleared off the line.
2 x 50/50 penalty shouts not given.
Ball fizzed in behind the keeper and along the goal line 3 times.
Not a shot against.
Missing 6 key players.
4 of them back for the next game.
Attacking for 90 minutes.
Never giving up.
Getting the goal.
Something our main rivals couldn't do it their coresponding fixture.
3 points and a win.

Is it ever acceptable to be critical of taking 3 points given that situation.

I think I'd be visiting a psychiatrist if I got too down about last night.
Good post, fair.

Livingston are notoriously hard to beat and their style of play is far from pretty. Where 'livi' are concerned i would say 'a win is a win' is absolutely acceptable.

A wins a win. Being top is all that matters.

Doesn't mean we can't reflect though.

Scott Wright had a bad night.

Cedric Itten was dissapointing , I think last night confirms he's 3rd choice striker for now

Arfield was brilliant and should be key for us.

Sakala starting to look like a player that will create and score goals week in, week out.

Livi couldn't handle him when he was cutting in on the edge of the box

Alfie and Aribo back soon so plenty to be positive about

You have to factor in the quality that was unable, for one reason or another, to start.
Any side would struggle in this situation.
Last night wasn’t a one off though

It’s been a common theme all season. Under Gerrard and still happening under Gio.

For me, it all stems from not improving our first 11 since the summer of 2019.

Even accounting for the circumstance, weather etc I would expect the performance of a fair few was a mile off what a coaching team would be looking for.

A win, is a win and it is great for us short term, but a performance like that is doing nothing for a few who featured for their short/long term with us

That is what normal fans think though. Horrendous weather, stuffy difficult opposition and a starting 11 picked with fitness in mind and important games coming up. 3 points and home.

The online fan though? "Everything is terrible" "Every player should give a 10/10 performance and i wont accept anything less" "Why aren't we winning 10-0?"
You’re talking as though last night was a one off performance but it isn’t.

Under Gerrard performances were being grinded out constantly. Since Gio came in it’s been a very mixed bag of some decent performances and some rank rotten performances

Firstly, even the 9iar teams struggled at times to win, but before the final whistle they got the job done, that’s football. Sure Livi are grafters, and no more than that, but it’s still 11 v 11, plus every player tries their best v us. If they put the same effort in every week, they would playing in Europe every season! That goes for every team in Scotland.

We all want to win with style and panache, scoring a barrel load of goals in the process. However, wins like last night in shocking conditions whilst missing our 4 most influential attacking players is very much acceptable.

Livi stuck to their game plan and made it hard for us to break them down,I’ll give them a bit of credit for their work rate and effort add the conditions to that and it was a great night for great football.

More than acceptable to say it tonight.

We were missing 5 of our front 6 plus some extra quality on the bench.

Only Man City can do that and not be affected.

A ‘wins a win’ mentality is very short sighted and in contrast to what some say - doesn’t win you league titles. Consistency of high level performance wins league titles.
Not necessarily - consistency of ‘decentish’ performances usually wins the league. Look at us last year in our record breaking year, we played pretty well most weeks but only in Europe were we left purring really.

Even accounting for the circumstance, weather etc I would expect the performance of a fair few was a mile off what a coaching team would be looking for.

A win, is a win and it is great for us short term, but a performance like that is doing nothing for a few who featured for their short/long term with us

If you listen to the post match on H&H with Martyn and David its very clear Gio was maybe excepting a bit more from some players last night but overall, as is the case in every long season, games like that do happen and when the final whistle goes all that matters is the 3 points.

I remember at this point in the season in 2011 when had a similar injury crisis and had to draft in Andy Webster (who hadn't played at all that season) for one of our games in hand at home against ICT (another stuffy difficult team like Livi). Before the game we had 3 games in hand and were 5 points behind Celtic.

Talk about a hard watch. We won 1-0 thanks to a first half Davis goal but we were hanging on by our finger tips at the end. Amazingly Webster cleared the ball off the line in the last few minutes to ensure we won.

Games like last night happen in a long season, we've seen some very turgid wins at home under Smith, McLeish and even Gerrard last season.

Saying is a win is a win was acceptable to guys like Smith and McLeish so is good enough for me.

I feel that we are a team who once we find momentum and consistency then we flourish. All these winter breaks and international breaks seem to have an adverse effect on us but hopefully we build up a head of steam again and march onto 56.
Nonsense. We have been good enough to get by most of the season and that's about it. We turned over Motherwell, beat Dundee by 3 goals and that's about it. Most games have been a grind if we are being brutally honest

If you listen to the post match on H&H with Martyn and David its very clear Gio was maybe excepting a bit more from some players last night but overall, as is the case in every long season, games like that do happen and when the final whistle goes all that matters is the 3 points.

I remember at this point in the season in 2011 when had a similar injury crisis and had to draft in Andy Webster (who hadn't played at all that season) for one of our games in hand at home against ICT (another stuffy difficult team like Livi). Before the game we had 3 games in hand and were 5 points behind Celtic.

Talk about a hard watch. We won 1-0 thanks to a first half Davis goal but we were hanging on by our finger tips at the end. Amazingly Webster cleared the ball off the line in the last few minutes to ensure we won.

Games like last night happen in a long season, we've seen some very turgid wins at home under Smith, McLeish and even Gerrard last season.

Saying is a win is a win was acceptable to guys like Smith and McLeish so is good enough for me.

I would expect what a coach says in public is very often a mile removed from what they say behind closed doors TBH.

I wouldn't expect a sit down analysis of that is "right lads we won now out on the training park" there was an absolute load to work on and look back at, it was a dross display in all honesty.

These are grown men who have been kicking about football their whole life, they will know that display was shit, they haven't reached where they have in their career without applying standards and having a bit of reflection.

Some fans are pussyish soft when it comes to speaking about performances TBH, more so when it is taking place on a platform players will never ever read or know about, so weird that people get irked by people speaking about Rangers games.... on a Rangers forum, can't even fathom how those people exist at games, on supporters club buses or in boozers TBH

We have been like this for most of the season. You can’t expect to keep playing this bad and win matches, hence why we’ve dropped so many stupid points this season. We won’t win the league if we don’t improve.

of course it is

We’ve dropped 1/6 of our points this season. At that rate, we’re on course to hit 95 points. The 2nd highest total in a 38-game season (we all know what’s 1st :cool:).

Please give our team a break, the standards some set are unrealistic that no team in the past ever actually met, no matter how much your rose-tinted specs wants you to think otherwise.

Back