Is this team better than Walters UEFA final team?

Is this team better than the UEFA final team?

• Yes

Votes: 282 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 476 62.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 10 1.3%

• Total voters

True Blue

No, at least not yet.
Once this team lifts silverware though, there is every chance they could go on to equal that side.

daven37

No it is not but I think we are seeing year on year improvement.

Two things can stop us this year - ourselves and a fxxking virus.

LarkfiedLoyalNS

Nurseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

FFS only 3 points above the tarriers and people are posting absolute nonsense like this.

Obviously hasn’t watched us crumble 2 January’s in a row.

If we are in this same position come the end of May at least it might be up for debate.

Hurricane Run

Its a far better footballing team. Its actually not even close. Cant believe the voting tbh. What walters team were the superior force at, was tactically. Though the current team are getting there. We had whitaker, Daily, and Darcheville for a start, and dont even get me started on Kirk fucking Broadfoot, who wouldnt even make this squad, never mind start.

Lets not romanticise that team as some all conquering force. We had multiple games of insane amounts of luck, and one of the best goalkeeping performances of all time by McGregor in Germany. As a footballing side though, this team is better. We dominate possession better, we control tempo better and we have a maturity which ive not seen from a Rangers team in about 20yrs

Juanito2

League is much weaker today. Bheasts were stronger. Guys like KT and Ferguson are a level above Jack n Kamara easily. that 2008 team would slap this league silly..this team wouldn't slap the 2008 league.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Its a far better footballing team. Its actually not even close. Cant believe the voting tbh. What walters team were the superior force at, was tactically. Though the current team are getting there. We had whitaker, Daily, and Darcheville for a start, and dont even get me started on Kirk fucking Broadfoot, who wouldnt even make this squad, never mind start.

Lets not romanticise that team as some all conquering force. We had multiple games of insane amounts of luck, and one of the best goalkeeping performances of all time by McGregor in Germany. As a footballing side though, this team is better. We dominate possession better, we control tempo better and we have a maturity which ive not seen from a Rangers team in about 20yrs

With all due respect I think it’s the current side that’s being romanticised here mate. They haven’t managed to mount a title challenge (capitulating at the half way mark twice) or win a trophy, only made 1 cup final out of 4. The UEFA cup final side would have done a treble had the SFA not forced a ridiculous schedule on us, they made just about every cup final and dominated domestically at a time when the league was stronger.

Our current side play more attractive football but football is about winning and Walter’s side were far better at that. I don’t think we were lucky in Europe either, we defended for our lives but I don’t remember us getting any favours or anything. Defending is an art form and we did it brilliantly and having an in form keeper is just part of that. If we’d had luck that keeper would have been available for the final.

Also I couldn’t ridicule the three players mentioned too much - Whittaker was actually quite good for us, and Daily and Darcheville spent the majority of their careers playing at a higher level than the vast majority of our current squad have ever played at. The current side could go on to do something special, but as it stands they’re miles away and have it all to prove. I hope by the end of the season the comparison has a bit more credibility because it’ll have meant that we’re champions again, fingers crossed.

Captain_Buns

Different sort of teams I guess but if you could swap this squad for that squad to continue the season, would you ?
just a wee Sunday night poll, Casue the mrs is talking mince lol

What a ridiculous suggestion when we’ve not even won a trophy & have totally collapsed in the league after Christmas the last 2 seasons.

Come back in May.

Bowery Boy

Absolutely not yet, but we're building a squad with the potential to surpass Walter's team in his 2nd spell. If we can win the title and qualify for the CL, the standard of player will increase again. But it's all ifs and buts at this point.

Also, let's not forget that a large percentage of this forum wanted Walter punted at various stages of his 2nd spell and used to bleat that they weren't being entertained enough as he racked up trophy after trophy.

Rangers daft

A better question would be if you could swap this Gerrard team for the Walter team just for the 2008 final would you swap it? Can't compare this team to Walters until we win silverware but a one off swap for the final against zenit given how we'll both teams were/are in Europe...

Alcatraz Loyal

Different sort of teams I guess but if you could swap this squad for that squad to continue the season, would you ?
just a wee Sunday night poll, Casue the mrs is talking mince lol
No, I don't think they are. I think the current crop are coached a lot better than previous regimes.

Besides, I'm not a fan of comparing different eras in football.

Drumchapel-Bear

This is the best Rangers team in our lifetimes in a European sense. Only under Dick Advocaat have we came close to being as good in Europe but that was mostly down to us chucking extreme cash (for that time) at it. In a tactical sense, this is the best Rangers team in Europe I have watched. We don't have better players than the teams we are coming up against but they are incredibly well drilled and have went to many places in Europe now and controlled games at a really high level. It's been happening for 3 seasons now and we are getting better every season so it's hardly a fluke.

Walter is god to me and as amazing as Manchester 08 was, we carried incredible luck to get there. We got embarrassed regularly in Europe under Walter.

With regards to domestic comparison, you are comparing apples and oranges really given what Gerrard inherited v Walter and also the financial disparity between us and Celtic now compared to back then. Gerrard's legacy will be defined by what / if he wins trophies domestically before he leaves us. As of today, clearly Walter's 3IAR team is better in a domestic sense given what they won. If Gerrard wins the title the next two seasons and gets us into the CL Group stages etc given where we have come from it would be difficult to put into words just how incredible a job he has done since coming in as our manager. It's all hypotheticals at the moment but we are certainly on the right track.

Blue Goose

We as a club are all about trophys and the record books don't lie. At present we appear easier on the eye, but in Walter's team we had winners. Real grafters that would run through brick walls and had a never say die attitude. Until this team emulates a fraction of that teams success then the answer at present is no.

Turrabear

The team Hasn,t won anything yet .We,'ve also collapsed in January two seasons in a row.only when we actually win something can we start to compare teams.

TPB90

Our current side are in good form and its been great to watch this season but they've still got it all to prove. They need to start putting silverware in the cabinet before they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Walter's side who were serial winners.

bluenose1977

The current side, in a one off match, would dominate possession, create more chances and be a lot prettier on the eye ... would they win though? I'm not so sure to be honest.

We beat a lot of sides in matches that fit that exact description and scenario on Euro run to final.

Jase

Today’s side is a far better football side than Walter ever put on the park.

But Walter’s teams were winners.

At this moment that makes today’s side second best.

Fife Bear

This isn't gonna go down well but Walter's team wasn't that good. We got there mainly by putting men behind the ball and playing counter attack.

China Bear

Great question. Probably poll again this again at the end of this season, where I hope a ‘ hell yes ‘ is one of the options. I voted for WS this time.

change consent