Is time wasting robbing us?

Laudrup is God

The amount of time St Johnstone wasted today was imo extremely noticeable and a tactic more than one team in the league employ. The keeper was the worst constant holding the ball for well over 6 seconds and goal kicks taking at times over 30 seconds.

I find it extremely frustrating and I feel we the fans are being short changed by these tactics.

I’m sure last season vs Livingston it was almost 30 mins they wasted.

It can be stopped by strong official’s recognising it and taking action. Systematic fouls also being allowed too Wetherspoon and Craig had multiple fouls no action taken.

Delighted with the 3 points but do you think it needs looked into and highlighted?

The amount of time St Johnstone wasted today was imo extremely noticeable and a tactic more than one team in the league employ. The keeper was the worst constant holding the ball for well over 6 seconds and goal kicks taking at times over 30 seconds.

I find it extremely frustrating and I feel we the fans are being short changed by these tactics.

It can be stopped by strong official’s recognising it and taking action. Systematic fouls also being allowed too Wetherspoon and Craig had multiple fouls no action taken.

Delighted with the 3 points but do you think it needs looked into and highlighted?

Definitely seemed to be worse than usual today.

Half an hour to go and they are wasting time. A bit pathetic imo.

It needs to be called out by the management team, even after we win games.

The 1st half was beyond a joke, it took St Johnstone nearly 1 min 30 to take a corner ffs. Never mind the length of time to take a simple to throw, players just walking over.... not even a jog.

Our game is an absolute bore fest to watch and we will never raise the standard or revenue unless somehow we address all these issues.

Game management is part of the game

if we are 1-0 up v Lyon on Thursday with 10 minutes to go then we will time waste

Last edited:

Today was particularly noticeable that every time the ball went out of play, it took an age to be played back onto the park.
It degrades the game as a spectacle for onlookers.

Any neutral deciding to tune in would just have eventually switched over.
That is why we cannot sell the SPFL and that is why clubs like ST Johnstone don't have any money.
They murder the sport and wonder why their stands are half empty.

Today was particularly noticeable that every time the ball went out of play, it took an age to be played back onto the park.
It degrades the game as a spectacle for onlookers.

Any neutral deciding to tune in would just have eventually switched over.
That is why we cannot sell the SPFL and that is why clubs like ST Johnstone don't have any money.
They murder the sport and wonder why their stands are half empty.
Their CB ran the ball out then when out booted the ball out the stand then kicked the ball on the side away too no action taken I think it needs to be clamped down on.

Didn't see a single ballboy today unless I'm mistaken. Plenty balls around but nobody to fetch them. We even had one incident today when Devine or McCart booted the ball high into the Main Stand ... and then went and kicked away the ball that was sitting at the side of the pitch waiting to be used. No action taken. Of course.

Will we waste it from the first half though?

I get it I just thought I’d bring it up after a win it seemed really noticeable today
its part of the game

we probabaly won't waste time in the first half on Thursday as we will feel we can get something from that game

the "ante football" Barcelona game though, we were time wasting in the first half that game.

We have the best time waster in Scotland in goals for us

it’s part of the game tbh. Just need to deal with it and do the damage in game

It's frustrating and annoying when you're chasing the game but necessary when trying to see the game out. It's been part of the game since I started watching and that wasn't yesterday.

Didn't see a single ballboy today unless I'm mistaken. Plenty balls around but nobody to fetch them. We even had one incident today when Devine or McCart booted the ball high into the Main Stand ... and then went and kicked away the ball that was sitting at the side of the pitch waiting to be used. No action taken. Of course.
The one that stood out was at a corner for us in second half- ball gets booted out and the St Johnstone bench refused to put on a new ball despite referee signaling for a ball - Gerrard ended up kicking a ball up to the corner for us to take

I don't know why there's not a time keeper that stops the clock everytime the ball goes dead then there's no need for stoppage time just play 90mins then that's it

What annoys me is Collum allows them to do it for 80 minutes and then as soon as we go up 2-1 he is all over any of our players that dither at a shy or GK.

He sprinted over to Bassey right after the goal to tell him to hurry up with a throw in.

It seems to just be an accepted tactic when the diddy teams do it against us though.

All teams do it but some get longer than others to do it! Did you see the ref after we scored we had a throw in and he practically harassed either Aribo or Bassey pointing to his watch yet when they did it not a whisper and he let their player kick the ball away wildly on the touchline and did nothing?

All teams do it, it’s part of the game so I’ve no problem with it, what pisses me off though is when a team has been at it all game then find themselves a goal down and the ref starts adding 4/5/6 minutes at the end of game basically rewarding them with an extra five minutes to get a goal after wasting about 90 seconds every goal kick, if a team has been wasting time all game and they’re 1 goal down as soon as the clock hits 90 the ref should blow for full time.

Thought it rather amusing when their keeper started running about like a man possessed after they went 2-1 down. Time wasting and general c*ntery as displayed by St J today is a dangerous approach to take, it will usually come back to bite you.

It needs to be called out by the management team, even after we win games.

The 1st half was beyond a joke, it took St Johnstone nearly 1 min 30 to take a corner ffs. Never mind the length of time to take a simple to throw, players just walking over.... not even a jog.

Our game is an absolute bore fest to watch and we will never raise the standard or revenue unless somehow we address all these issues.
Agree that it makes for a rotten spectacle but we can call it out as much as we like it isnt going to change the way st johnstone play one bit. It happens at every level of football when a lesser team is playing a better one. We have done it plenty in european games. The trick is to score first and thats that little ploy knackered.

I get time wasting when you're winning but at 0-0 in the 1st half St Johnstone were doing it.

No wonder we have such a rubbish TV deal when that's the product.

I mind as a boy in the early 70s half time was 10 mins and games finished 4:40 / 4:45 I just dont remember time wasting going on. Or is the memory playing tricks.

Agreed but their keeper wasn't wasting any time after Tav scored, LOL.Couldn't get the ball back into play quick enough then.

W.A.T.P.

I particularly hate St Johnston a fucking pub team, slowing it down, diving , kicking. The c7nt in the goal went down like he was knocked out when Balogun hardly touched him, but ref buys it and stops the game, full back was the same must have gotten 5/6 fouls by collapsing on the ball when pressurised.

Got more of an issue with Willie Gollum allowing them to waste time then hunting our players when we were ahead.
That was my gripe too. Generally don't mind Collum, he's about the only one with enough balls to give a pen or red cards against them, but he is still a poor referee overall. They got away with absolute murder in terms of time wasting, especially after they took the lead, and he didn't pick them up once for it. Virtually from the restart after Tav's winner we were hurried and cajoled along by all the officials as if we had been at it the whole game.

I love it when their goalies, who have been taking 15mins to take a goal kick, are rushing like dafties trying to get the ball back into play in the last 10mins of the game when they start getting beat. I shout at the TV "wasn't that earlier ya #!#!"

Back