Is time wasting robbing us?

The urgency between Clarks goal kicks at 1-0 to 2-1 was night and day, happen the think Clark is a half decent keeper and only playing the way his management team set up their tactics, its frustrating at times however we have used similar tactics on quite a few occasions lately, its worked for us in the past, just s5it when you are on the receiving end.

All teams do it, it’s part of the game so I’ve no problem with it, what pisses me off though is when a team has been at it all game then find themselves a goal down and the ref starts adding 4/5/6 minutes at the end of game basically rewarding them with an extra five minutes to get a goal after wasting about 90 seconds every goal kick, if a team has been wasting time all game and they’re 1 goal down as soon as the clock hits 90 the ref should blow for full time.
100%

It's frustrating and it's about time referees were more consistent in booking offenders or adding time on. Ironically any extra time added on yesterday would have been to the benefit of St Johnstone.
Maybe something like a booking if a throw in isn't taken within 20 secs should be introduced. At least they might have enough balls around the pitch that way.

It’s frustrating as hell but what infuriated me yesterday was after the wasted as much time as possible they suddenly went into overdrive after we got the second.
To compound that, they threw on two strikers and their keeper was up for a header.
Two things spring to mind here. Imagine if they got an equaliser in time added on due to their tactics, basically getting rewarded for horrible tactics. They are cheating their fans by not trying to win until the 80th minute. Maybe if they put in more application they would have won more games that they have.

Ball went out for a throw in about 20 seconds in and Davidson let it roll though his legs. Gerrard shook his head and said something. Soon as it happened I realised wasnt a ball boy in sight.

Yesterday was disgraceful, even collum was annoyed when it took forever to get a ball back on the park.
but for there to be no stoppage time in the first half despite numerous time wasting incidents to 5 minutes at the end of the game was a bit erm suspicious. I doubt it would have been 5 mins had we been losing or drawing

Yesterday was disgraceful, even collum was annoyed when it took forever to get a ball back on the park.
but for there to be no stoppage time in the first half despite numerous time wasting incidents to 5 minutes at the end of the game was a bit erm suspicious. I doubt it would have been 5 mins had we been losing or drawing
To be fair, the Helander injury took a few minutes.

The amount of time St Johnstone wasted today was imo extremely noticeable and a tactic more than one team in the league employ. The keeper was the worst constant holding the ball for well over 6 seconds and goal kicks taking at times over 30 seconds.

I find it extremely frustrating and I feel we the fans are being short changed by these tactics.

I’m sure last season vs Livingston it was almost 30 mins they wasted.

It can be stopped by strong official’s recognising it and taking action. Systematic fouls also being allowed too Wetherspoon and Craig had multiple fouls no action taken.

Delighted with the 3 points but do you think it needs looked into and highlighted?
The official were pretty strong on it when we went 2-1 up.... bassey got the move it whistle pretty quickly

Allow 20 seconds to take a corner or goal kick, 10 seconds to take a throw in
Fail to do so is a free kick against
That would hurry them up

Time wasting is a massive frustration and a tactic we see every week, but is part of the game.

Any team that takes points off us deserves it. (Unless, you know, shite referees)

and we appreciate time wasting when it’s us that benefits.

The amount of time St Johnstone wasted today was imo extremely noticeable and a tactic more than one team in the league employ. The keeper was the worst constant holding the ball for well over 6 seconds and goal kicks taking at times over 30 seconds.

I find it extremely frustrating and I feel we the fans are being short changed by these tactics.

It can be stopped by strong official’s recognising it and taking action. Systematic fouls also being allowed too Wetherspoon and Craig had multiple fouls no action taken.

Delighted with the 3 points but do you think it needs looked into and highlighted?
Watched the Man U v Newcastle game yesterday and Newcastle employed this tactic from minute 1.
It took the ref till the 30th minute to intervene, it should not be a tactic a team is allowed to use just because they are not as good as their opponent, that includes us in Europe.
I'm all for time wasting when in possession, holding the ball in corners etc.
But doing it from the first minute needs yellows asap to cut it out.

wasting time part of the game nothing new about it we do it as well mostly in europe. yesterday was something new hidding the feckin balls . after we scored our second goal they were coming from everywhere. they should be embarrassed hard to believe a coach would allow that.

Short answer is no

We should be striving get that go ahead goal early and it then becomes irrelevant only to the extent other teams do it to keep the score down

Last year I noticed teams doing it while being 2-0 3-0 down

Muscle memory from the previous season or like I side trying to avoid a cricket score either way we just need to win and not let it become an excuse

No ball boys, no multiple balls, simply set up from the beginning to waste time, part of the best young manager in Scotland’s master plan.

I’d find a way to penalise it if I was one of the rule makers. It certainly doesn’t enhance the spectacle. You actually recognise it most when teams go down and suddenly the keeper is racing to get the ball and play it out.
I thought there was a moment toward the end of our game when Joe got himself into a really good attacking position running into the box from the right and he chose to go the game management route and check back towards the corner. I know he will be following instruction but for me we should go for a game sealing goal if really good positions/opportunities present themselves and keep it in the corner/game manage if they don’t.

Every single team does it in every single game against us - the thing I noticed is once we went 2-1 up, down the left hand side Bassey was walking slowly to grab the ball and Collum literally sprinted across and told him to hurry up.

It's not refereed evenly.

When have you seen McGregor do it in the first five minutes at Ibrox with the score at 0-0?
Probably never. Point still stands, folk love it when he does timewaste yet are apoplectic when it's against us. Teams try to disrupt us by any means, it's frustrating but it is what it is.

Probably never. Point still stands, folk love it when he does timewaste yet are apoplectic when it's against us. Teams try to disrupt us by any means, it's frustrating but it is what it is.
This post a good example of a straw man, kids. The subject under discussion here is time-wasting throughout the game until the team doing it fall behind. If you discover your view is wrong you pretend that the subject is something else, one that makes your view correct. In this case it’s any incidence of time-wasting at all.
Don’t do it, kids it’s a tell that you’re wrong but won’t admit it and that’s not good.

I’d find a way to penalise it if I was one of the rule makers. It certainly doesn’t enhance the spectacle. You actually recognise it most when teams go down and suddenly the keeper is racing to get the ball and play it out.
I thought there was a moment toward the end of our game when Joe got himself into a really good attacking position running into the box from the right and he chose to go the game management route and check back towards the corner. I know he will be following instruction but for me we should go for a game sealing goal if really good positions/opportunities present themselves and keep it in the corner/game manage if they don’t.
We have been done like that before

I remember against the sheep we went 1 up and mcgregor was wasting time they scored in 93rd minute as we lost possession by going for goal and didn't manage the game out

Even st Johnsone the year before last im sure we were 2-1 up and lost silly goal to make 2 each

Points on the board is what matter at times especially away from home

I read a stat last season on the premier league down in England that apparently the average amount of time the ball is in play is around 61 minutes. That’s taking throws, corners, stoppages etc into account. Surely it must be a lot lower average in Scotland, particularly when Rangers play away, I’d imagine the average amount is about 50 odd minutes!

We seemed to burst into life after tge scored and didn't give them a chabce to tine waste ir weren't affected by it.

In short - yes.

However, what annoys me more is the practice (St Johnstone always do this to Kent) of rotational fouling - it’s harder to punish one player but still stifles the playmaker.

Credit to Calum Davidson for what he’s achieved on limited resources, but that’s bawbag tactics :mad:

The ball was in play yesterday for 41 mins they wasted the rest . 49 mins of the game lost to time wasting and helped by an inept referee.

That’s a shocker of a stat and before some of the usual bunch say it’s part of the game not that amount lost to a game.

Back