Is time wasting robbing us?

It's unfortunately part of the game now. We also use it to good effect at times.

What I don't like though is the referees (most of the time) seem to turn a blind eye to it when our opponents do it, often from the 1st half, but almost the 1st time any of our players do it they're spoken to about it.

I know we say this often & about many different topics, but either allow both teams to do it or neither. It shouldn't be a 1 way street.

It seemed to be their tactic today. I noted they were wasting time as early as the 3rd minute. Basically it is down to the officials to do something about it.

Nothing wrong with time wasting towards the end of the game but time wasting in the first 15 mins is absolutely pathetic

No, time wasting is not robbing us, it’s been part of the game for as long as I can remember and that’s a very long time. We know it’s going to happen when we play most clubs and that puts the onus on us to get off to a quick start. The way we have been fannying around in the early stages of matches has caused the problem. Get on top early, score a couple of goals and the speed of the game will be like lightening.
And my fecking nerves won’t be shredded!

The frustrating thing in a game like today's is they waste time for 80 odd minutes, leading to five added minutes (I know there were other factors) and it's them that benefit because they need a goal.

If there was a way to not add on time from deliberate time wasting if it benefits the time wasting team then that would be good but it's probably unworkable.

I'm more concerned that teams like St Johnstone are allowed to continually commit fouls and get away with it. A player on a yellow card gives away a penalty and it's not a second yellow.

Had we been a bit better at it last season and seen out a few more games instead of trying to score another goal, we might have put at least one more trophy into the cabinet.

It is what it is, I say.
No it’s not, not when Helander is down for 3 minutes, 6 subs, the stramash at the penalty and then the time wasting, should easily have been 10 minutes added on never mind the fact zero minutes added in the first

Don’t give them the ball and they can’t time waste.

it’s annoying. But I get it.

bring in an accurate measure of additional time

What annoys me is Collum allows them to do it for 80 minutes and then as soon as we go up 2-1 he is all over any of our players that dither at a shy or GK.

He sprinted over to Bassey right after the goal to tell him to hurry up with a throw in.

It seems to just be an accepted tactic when the diddy teams do it against us though.
Noticed that too. They were falling at the slightest contact and the one who clashed with Morelos took a dive.

Does anyone think it would have been 5 mins had we been 1-1?

Then suddenly 5 mins at 1-2.

Suspect
With Helander's injury and the fracas after the penalty and subsequent time taken for the 4 bookings I thought it was going to be more than 5 minutes

Just watching Collum suddenly coming alert to it and deciding to clamp down about 5 seconds after our goal to take the lead was typically hilarious.

Sure time wasting has been going on forever and we have done it ourselves and it's part of the game etc, but it was a pre match tactic of St Johnstone today.

It's all down to modern stats and analytics, you try to gain every slight advantage possible to you. If you are up against a team who are better than you over the 90mins then reducing the amount of time they have the ball minimises that advantage.

It was clear from KO today that one of St Johnstone's main game plan's was to waste as much as time as possible, they'd have been ecstatic with a 0-0.

As a paying supporter with the ball in play as little as it is we are definitely being robbed.

I believe it's something that FIFA are looking into with games lasting on the time the ball is in play etc.

Game management is part of the game

if we are 1-0 up v Lyon on Thursday with 10 minutes to go then we will time waste

If we do this I'd expect the referee to book the player or at the very least have a word. At one point a St Johnstone player volleyed the ball away when the play had stopped and kicked away the spare ball by the line as well, the wee prick Gollum didn't even speak to the player.

Last edited:
It seemed to be their tactic today. I noted they were wasting time as early as the 3rd minute. Basically it is down to the officials to do something about it.
That’s where it‘s simply poor officiating that allows that right from the off. Our refs are next to useless so allow it right from the start. They can see it just like us, the authorities can see it, but as usual they and the SPL/SFA allow live tv matches to be turned into shitfests all season. It’s no wonder we get two balloons and a toffe-Apple for a TV contract.

The best part of the game apart from the two goals was watching a member of their coaching staff running like %^*& halfway along the touchline to try and collect a ball in the dying minutes. That’s what happens when you tell the ball boys to have the day off ya prick.

It's part of football now, not a very attractive part. But one fan's timewasting is another fan's "shithousery".

I like that we don't do it but at the same time we probably should.

In Europe we manage it well but domestically there's times players should stay down but don't.

Happens to us all the time.

That mob today are well practised at the dark arts. Wasting time from early on, snidey fouls, diving and surrounding the ref. Then they get the benefit of the time they earlier wasted when they are behind going into injury time

Very noticeable today.

1. No ball boys or multi ball system.
2. St Johnstone time wasting from the first minute.

All the more sweeter when we go 2-1 up and they’re frantically rushing as the tables turned.
Had a good laugh at that big fanny Clark rushing like hell to take a goal kick near the end, when he'd been slothlike the entire game up until then.

I find it frustrating, but ultimately we employ it when it suits us in Europe against better teams too. What does annoy me is when we take the lead against a team who's been wasting time all game and the referee starts making an issue of it when we're trying to kill the momentum, when they havent batted an eyelid previously

It's a pain in the arse but one of life's great pleasures is watching us get a goal 10 minutes from the end and suddenly see McGregor turn into the world's slowest man.

The guy turns it into an art form

We love it when Shagger does it
Yet when we went ahead Collum was telling Bassey to hurry up with a throw in :rolleyes:
Got to admit, although he got some decisions wrong, thought by and large he was and does try to be fair. He just makes some howlers now and again. Clancy is the only one I think is blatant at times, again tho, no too bad in the last game. Beaton Is the worst for me. That Hibs game a few year ago, where he booked Alfie for getting stone cold stunnered, and Jack got a red while about 3 or 4 of there players should been sent off. Worst refereeing display I've ever seen. And the other bad ones were him again. Disallowed goals etc . They think he is biased for us as well. May be a rangers fan, don't know, but he is definitely no in our favour in any game

The amount of time St Johnstone wasted today was imo extremely noticeable and a tactic more than one team in the league employ. The keeper was the worst constant holding the ball for well over 6 seconds and goal kicks taking at times over 30 seconds.

I find it extremely frustrating and I feel we the fans are being short changed by these tactics.

I’m sure last season vs Livingston it was almost 30 mins they wasted.

It can be stopped by strong official’s recognising it and taking action. Systematic fouls also being allowed too Wetherspoon and Craig had multiple fouls no action taken.

Delighted with the 3 points but do you think it needs looked into and highlighted?
They did, they do, they all do. The problem with this I feel is not so much it happens but that Rangers play right into the situation by themselves being too slow. As long as the game sits level, these teams will time waste almost form the K/O and although its small pockets here and there its constant so adds up significantly over a full game.

If we came out the stalls fast, hit them hard and scored theyd have no choice but to at least try to play and you wouldnt see them lose a moment. Just look at the last 10 mins or so of a game like this where STJ are running about like the Devil desperately trying to score. No time wasted there.

Rangers are pedestrian and its costing us in a lot of ways.

if we are 1-0 up v Lyon on Thursday with 10 minutes to go then we will time waste

What about if we're 1-0 up with almost the entire second half plus extra time still to go? Or even time wasting from the opening minutes when still level?

It does shit me that a team can waste time for 85 mins, concede a goal, then benefit at the end of the game by getting the additional 5 mins ‘injury time’. The officials should judge who’s wasted the time and decide if it’s appropriate to add time or not!

Im more concerned about the standard of refereeing.
100% agree. I hate time wasting when it’s against us but love it when it’s for us.
Ultimately it’s the referee’s job to the apply the laws of the game and add time on where he sees fit.
At the end of the day I’m a fan paying money to watch a game of football and the more time wasting there is the less value for money I’m getting

Game management is part of the game

Surely you can see the argument that it’s holding the game back in general in the country? Rangers and Celtic games are the televised ones, and someone a while ago done the maths in relation to time ball was in play. Scotland is amongst the worst in Europe. If we had two 30 minute halfs with stoppages we’d be effectively gaining a couple games extra a season from our season tickets the time wasting is that bad in the SPFL.

I pay 490 quid for 18 home games and if you do the maths you’re getting scammed if we’re talking pure football value. Imagine watching players trot over for a corner or a throw in for three or four entire games? That’s what’s happening.

Back