Isle of Islay Rangers supporters

Been a few times as my mates family have a house there. Good wee island for a bevvy. The wee pub luccis, has gers tops on wall. Was there for a wedding last year also

Beautiful island tis Islay, was there in a family holiday in June during thr magnificent weather.

If no one's been I highly recommend it and make sure you fit in all the distilleries

Wish I knew it was a bear stronghold when I went I might have tried a wee sing song in a few!

Sounds great – I’m going there later in the year.
Think it’s Port Charlotte we’re staying in.

Visiting the Laphroaig and Bruichladdich distilleries.

Seeing as you are new on FF, @IslayGer, thought you would appreciate this thread. Also need to recruit more people from the island onto here!
Will do the best i can when i get back . I see in one of your posts you were asking about fishing. If its sea fishing give me a pm if your heading over. I could pos arrange something.

Will do the best i can when i get back . I see in one of your posts you were asking about fishing. If its sea fishing give me a pm if your heading over. I could pos arrange something.

Excellent mate, will do for the next time I'm over, cheers.

So I guess everyone on the island supporters Rangers then? Well, all except one! :))

I was actually in there with my old man for that game, you can't see me in the photos though as I had to leave before penalties to get the ferry back in time.

We were listening to it on Radio Scotland on the drive to the ferry port, and it cut out just as Tom Rogic stepped up to take his, as soon as the signal came back and we heard that we'd won we were like Del Boy and Rodney!

BelovedInferiorIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

That'll be my abiding memory of Islay, wonderful place.

Does the pub in Portnahaven still show the games mate?

Things are starting to look far more positive for the island @IslayGer as there's always a challenge to keep the island's numbers up with a lot of younger folk heading to the cities on the mainland for work and university/college courses.

The Machrie Hotel & Golf Links being rebuilt and opened to the public on 10 September and it looks amazing inside, Loganair doing direct flights to and from Islay via Edinburgh as of 31st March that will run until the 26 October every year and plans for three new whisky distilleries to be built on the island taking it to 11 in total. Ardnahoe Distillery opening on 12 April, the new "Farkin Distillery" opening in 2020 and the Port Ellen Distillery re-opening in 2020 as well for the first time since 1983, 36 years! (Also rumours of a further three distilleries at Port Charlotte, Gartbreck and Bridgend. Whether anything comes to fruition I don't know). And finally a new CalMac ferry currently in construction for the Islay-Kennacraig route coming 2021.

A lot of working going on but its all to ensure Islay's position as one of the best islands in Scotland.

I also understand Lucci's Bar inside Bowmore Hotel, show every Rangers game, incase anyone is over and needing somewhere to watch the game. Willie Henderson and Alex Rae over in November doing a speakers night. Notice the Bowmore Loyal flag in the background as well!

Great bit of info, thanks!

Planning a road trip to Islay from London in May (ostensibly to visit a few distilleries, but really just to get the hell out of the capital for a bit and drive around the island) so will make a point of stopping in.

Things are starting to look far more positive for the island @IslayGer as there's always a challenge to keep the island's numbers up with a lot of younger folk heading to the cities on the mainland for work and university/college courses.

The Machrie Hotel & Golf Links being rebuilt and opened to the public on 10 September and it looks amazing inside, Loganair doing direct flights to and from Islay via Edinburgh as of 31st March that will run until the 26 October every year and plans for three new whisky distilleries to be built on the island taking it to 11 in total. Ardnahoe Distillery opening on 12 April, the new "Farkin Distillery" opening in 2020 and the Port Ellen Distillery re-opening in 2020 as well for the first time since 1983, 36 years! (Also rumours of a further three distilleries at Port Charlotte, Gartbreck and Bridgend. Whether anything comes to fruition I don't know). And finally a new CalMac ferry currently in construction for the Islay-Kennacraig route coming 2021.

A lot of working going on but its all to ensure Islay's position as one of the best islands in Scotland.

Could do with a couple of hundred new houses though to give the young uns somewhere to stay.

My mothers side are all from Islay. Been over 3 times. fantastic place. Booked again for 3 days in July - canny wait.

An appreciation thread more than anything and to share my experience from a recent visit to the Isle of Islay.

Was blown away by the number of fellow Rangers supporters who seen me walking about Islay wearing the new Home Shirt that would come up and say hello and have a brief chat about the club and how well Steven Gerrard and his new Coaching Staff and Players are doing taking the club forward to the next level. Everyone I spoke to was very positive about the future of Rangers and how at previous clubs 'Brenda' was only in a job for so long before he left as he could only take his teams so far despite his large budgets.

Also seen a few other Bears wearing the new Rangers Home Shirts around Bowmore and playing football at Port Mor, a shop in the town having a couple of old kits from the 90's and other merchandise on show in the window and seen the 2013/14 kit on someones washing line.

Couple of questions for any Rangers supporters that currently stay/are from there: Is there an Isle of Islay Rangers Supporters Club?

Is there a main pub on Islay that Rangers supporters all meet at to watch the games?

Overall summary of Islay? Go, Ibrox on an island! :D
Meant to be going this weekend

What pub is Rangers ?

My mothers side are all from Islay. Been over 3 times. fantastic place. Booked again for 3 days in July - canny wait.
The are fukin nuts over there

At breakfast the host comes out

Clink clink

Hello lads care for a dram lol

Maniacs lol

Family have historical roots in Jura which is a stones throw from Port Askaig. Used to spend Summers there when I was young. Breathtaking place. Now retired I shall have to plan a visit.

Sounds great – I’m going there later in the year.
Think it’s Port Charlotte we’re staying in.

Visiting the Laphroaig and Bruichladdich distilleries.

That's where I stayed mate

The Bruichladdich distillery let's you sample drams from any bottle under £200 for free!!!! Build up to the octomore, its outstanding.

Laphroaig is good but will charge you for testing, as do most

Great fun, enjoy!

That's where I stayed mate

The Bruichladdich distillery let's you sample drams from any bottle under £200 for free!!!! Build up to the octomore, its outstanding.

Laphroaig is good but will charge you for testing, as do most

Great fun, enjoy!

Is that the really peaty stuff, mate?

If so, that’s right up my street!

Heading over on Friday for the long weekend. Wee cottage booked out towards Saligo bay. Only ever been over with work but with the Mrs and wee man I'm really looking forward to it. I'll obviously hit all the distilleries and what not but any recommendations for things to do with the wee fella would be appreciated, he is 2. In two minds to either watch the game at Luccis on Bowmore or just try get a feed at the digs, would like a wee dram while it's on.

Heading over on Friday for the long weekend. Wee cottage booked out towards Saligo bay. Only ever been over with work but with the Mrs and wee man I'm really looking forward to it. I'll obviously hit all the distilleries and what not but any recommendations for things to do with the wee fella would be appreciated, he is 2. In two minds to either watch the game at Luccis on Bowmore or just try get a feed at the digs, would like a wee dram while it's on.
When our kids were young, we used to take them to the swimming beside Bowmore Distillery. They used to do a sort of soft play area in the pool one day a week.
In the Youth Hostel building in Port Charlotte there is the Field Centre, but I think its changed its name, they used to have things kids could stick their hands in to get wet and dirty. 2 might be a bit young, but you could see what they've got before buying a ticket.
There's plenty of beaches, Saligo can be a bit rough, but your near Machir which is about a mile and a half of sand.

Yes. Shows most games. Excellent pub. Can be about a dozen locals watching which is a lot for the size of the pub.
Yes. Been in it many times mate - but always in the summer, so never really in the football season. But I had been made aware that games are normally shown, so that's good.

You're avatar looking over to the pub from just behind King Street - spectacular view. Special place.

When our kids were young, we used to take them to the swimming beside Bowmore Distillery. They used to do a sort of soft play area in the pool one day a week.
In the Youth Hostel building in Port Charlotte there is the Field Centre, but I think its changed its name, they used to have things kids could stick their hands in to get wet and dirty. 2 might be a bit young, but you could see what they've got before buying a ticket.
There's plenty of beaches, Saligo can be a bit rough, but your near Machir which is about a mile and a half of sand.
Love Machir/Kilchoman beach - superb place. Saligo too.

Yes. Been in it many times mate - but always in the summer, so never really in the football season. But I had been made aware that games are normally shown, so that's good.

You're avatar looking over to the pub from just behind King Street - spectacular view. Special place.
My user name is the name of my house in Portnahaven.

Same, used to go over as a kid. Not sure which member of the family it was that worked in the distillery but used to take the kids there for a lookabout while the grannies chatted

My Great Grandfather came to Glasow at the start of the 20th Century and was given an award for heroism for saving someone who fell in the Clyde and that's all I really know... faithers no really one for talking about it

Thanks for the info mate, I'll look into all of those.

We used to go over every year for a football tournament they held over there!great memories,great amount of drink,great,great people!

Islay is a fantastic place. We have friends who live over there and pop over to see them a couple of times a year. We actually just came back from a weeks stay at Kilnaughton bay.

I'm still struggling to like the taste of whisky but I still give it a go every time I'm over! I'll get there eventually. The distilleries are all Worth a visit, most are in pretty spectacular locations.

The drive to kennacraig from Glasgow is lovely, particularly on a clear sunny day.

Islay is a fantastic place. We have friends who live over there and pop over to see them a couple of times a year. We actually just came back from a weeks stay at Kilnaughton bay.

I'm still struggling to like the taste of whisky but I still give it a go every time I'm over! I'll get there eventually. The distilleries are all Worth a visit, most are in pretty spectacular locations.

The drive to kennacraig from Glasgow is lovely, particularly on a clear sunny day.
Yep - love that drive. Then a nice couple of hours of the ferry and to then arrive on a peaceful, idyllic island. It feels like another world - in the best possible way. Love it.

Yep - love that drive. Then a nice couple of hours of the ferry and to then arrive on a peaceful, idyllic island. It feels like another world - in the best possible way. Love it.
Where the pace of life is slower and more relaxed.
I was looking for someone at his work one day. I went into his workplace to ask for him, "He's away to a funeral" I was told. Seeing it was just past 11 I asked when he would be back, "och, he'll not be back today". Shortly after a minibus pulled up outside the Lochindaal and the mourners poured out and into the hotel.

Where the pace of life is slower and more relaxed.
I was looking for someone at his work one day. I went into his workplace to ask for him, "He's away to a funeral" I was told. Seeing it was just past 11 I asked when he would be back, "och, he'll not be back today". Shortly after a minibus pulled up outside the Lochindaal and the mourners poured out and into the hotel.
The pace of life there is superb mate. They have got it spot on there. I feel so relaxed when I'm there. Fantastic.

Ive enjoyed this thread a bit of positivity in what can sometimes be a dark place lol
I would also recommend any Bears going to Lewis to pop into the Lewis and Harris Rangers Supporters Club a great Club well run with some cracking memorabilia

I can remember the days when there was only one Celtic supporter in Lochgilphead and Ardrishaig, and whe I worked in the A&B hospital, there was a family of three catholic’s amongst the staff, and that was it.
That is their M, O. Get a few family and friends in, before you know it the place is overrun

Back