Euro 2020 Italy v Spain - BBC1 20:00

Really enjoyed that game. Two teams with very different styles. Technically excellent other than Spain’s lack of a top class striker. If they had one, they’d probably have won that game.

For all of Spain‘s possession though, I love Italy’s passion, high energy and press, the rapid counter attacks and the two veterans in defence. Wonderful stuff. 33 games unbeaten and 2 years without going behind is it? That’s remarkable and any team will have a hard time changing that record in the final, whatever Rio bloody Ferdinand thinks :)

Just put your flag up as soon as he's offside ffs!
My blood pressure's high enough!
;)
Better to let the player put the ball in the back of the net.

If the linesman flags for offside and is mistaken, then the goal can stand.

But if he mistakenly flags for offside before the player has the opportunity to find the net, then you will never know whether it would have been a goal.

That's why this rule is in place.

That's just about what every other fan in scotland thinks about us or their other description by an msp, we're entitled.
I am talking in general here, everyday in life arrogance is just a horrible trait and just something a do not like. There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence

I genuinely don’t know how you can say that?

England have been average and that’s being kind.
Winning a quarter final in a major tournament 4-0 (even if it was 'just' Ukraine) is not the sign of an average team.

Recording five consecutive clean sheets is not the sign of an average team.

The winners of this tournament will be either Italy, England or Denmark and whoever lifts the trophy will thoroughly deserve to do so.

I’m not your old “anyone but England” but I need Rio tears be it tomorrow or Sunday.
I've just been reading a couple of other mostly English football forums and Rio is getting the same slagging off for his comments that he is getting here.
At the least for tempting fate right up to being an arrogant dick.
It seems pretty unanimous too.

We certainly saw Italian vulnerability tonight. Having carried all before them in the previous rounds, they had to concede possession and territory to Spain, who would have won if they had a decent attacking threat.

Once forced to substitute most of their first choices from middle to front, Italy looked much less impressive, unlikely to win in open play, and relied on the penalties lottery.

I thought Italy were stick-ons if they got to the final. Now I’m not so sure.
Denmark's pace could cause them problems but I think their defence will be too good for England to break down. But if Denmark get to the final and score I think Italy would score more.

I am talking in general here, everyday in life arrogance is just a horrible trait and just something a do not like. There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence
I haven't listened to rio, but Danny murphy isnt arrogant.

We're on a football forum and you brought up arrogance. A couple of pundits hardly represents a nation.

We thought we would get out our group quite easily as Croatia and the Czechs had ran their race. Was that arrogance or confidence? considering we're rank rotten I'd call it arrogance.

Pique having a moan that the first taker has an unfair advantage.

Not sure what else can be done? Both teams take at the same time? Italy missed their first if Spain scored then the balance would have shifted.
I remember the ABBA method (I think it was called) being trialed a couple of years ago, so the pressure would alternate.

Not sure why they stopped it, obviously the data didn’t support the hypothesis of the study but so many variables in penalties to consider.

Coincidentally, I read a cracking article on the psychology of penalties this morning.

I haven't listened to rio, but Danny murphy isnt arrogant.

We're on a football forum and you brought up arrogance. A couple of pundits hardly represents a nation.

We thought we would get out our group quite easily as Croatia and the Czechs had ran their race. Was that arrogance or confidence? considering we're rank rotten I'd call it arrogance.
I would agree, to think Scotland would be get out the group was complete arrogance.

Tbf a never said it did represent an entire nation.

I remember the 1-2 method (I think it was called) being trialed a couple of years ago, so the pressure would alternate.

Not sure why they stopped it, obviously the data didn’t support the hypothesis of the study but so many variables in penalties to consider.

Coincidentally, I read a cracking article on the psychology of penalties this morning.
Now you say that I think there was a book called Soccernomics which discussed it and spoke about the ABBA method (which will be another term for the 1-2).

I think that would put massive pressure on the first team if they miss the first penalty - which we’ve done a couple of times and won the shoot out.

No easy way and whatever happens it’s not fair on someone imo :))

That was a fantastic game.

Spain played much better than I thought they would but Italy deserve to go through for their overall tournament performance so far. The game was worthy of the final really.

They'll meet England in the Final and prevail I reckon.

felt a bit for Spain but that’s what happens if you don’t convert dominance into goals. But they’re supposed to be a team in transition and, I think, were looking more to the World Cup and maybe the next Euros. A more reliable goal threat and they’d be pretty terrifying.

Great character and winner.
He’ll be missed from the game when he retires. A true legend.

Reminds me of the old school 70’s and 80’s type player in attitude that I grew up watching, more so than the players of today. I want him to get that Euro’s winners medal and I believe he will.

33 matches they said post match.

33 !!! At international level.

Aye, nae bother Rio, ya throbber :))
Since they lost to Portugal on the 18th September 2018, here’s the teams that haven’t beaten them :

Ukraine
Poland (3)
Portugal
USA
Finland (2)
Liechtenstein (2)
Greece (2)
Bosnia-Herzogovania (4)
Armenia (2)
Netherlands (2)
Moldova
Estonia
Northern Ireland
Bulgaria
Lithuania
San Marino
Czech Republic
Turkey
Switzerland
Wales
Austria
Belgium

Not spectacular but there are some tough games on there including the current Euro run. I wouldn’t be putting any money on against them.

The way Spain control games is a sight to behold, that lad Pedri is exceptional and a good striker would have seen them win this tournament. 70% possession against what is a very good Italy is a frightening stat. Hope Italy win it now.
It is incredible they cannot find a good out-and-out penalty box striker to finish chances, there must be some in Spain.

Last night they contained Italy, for the most part, like nobody else has been able to and must consider themselves rather unfortunate to be out. Once it went to pens you always fancied Italy but over the 90mins Spain shouldve already booked the final.

Credit to Italy though, they kept playing in and out of possession, always trying to make something happen and no moreso than the lightening quick break away goal. They are an exceptional side and England/Denmark will have a colossal fight in the final.

It is incredible they cannot find a good out-and-out penalty box striker to finish chances, there must be some in Spain.

Last night they contained Italy, for the most part, like nobody else has been able to and must consider themselves rather unfortunate to be out. Once it went to pens you always fancied Italy but over the 90mins Spain shouldve already booked the final.

Credit to Italy though, they kept playing in and out of possession, always trying to make something happen and no moreso than the lightening quick break away goal. They are an exceptional side and England/Denmark will have a colossal fight in the final.
10 years ago they were trying to fit both villa and torres in the side, what they would have given for just one of them last night

I genuinely don’t know how you can say that?

England have been average and that’s being kind.

Wee bit harsh mate.

They've got stronger through the knockout rounds and yet to concede a goal.
Both Sterling and Kane are in good goalscoring form.

They are also a big, physically strong team.

Whoever beats them (if they do) will have to play very well.

10 years ago they were trying to fit both villa and torres in the side, what they would have given for just one of them last night

Diego Costa couldn't get a regular game either. B-)

Their striker quality cost them dearly last night.

They were definitely the better team aside from that.

Agree, if Spain had Villa in this team I genuinely think we would be looking at another period of Spanish dominance of international football.

I've got a lot of English mates, so for them I don't mind of England win.
But there's a majority of arrogant, egotistical arseholes, similar to Rio Ferdinand that make it so easy to wish defeat on them.

I dont care who wins it but Rio Ferdinand is a fucking arogant prick. Total arsehole and thats why a lot of non English fans can't stand them.
Probably not popular saying it on here but its true. The over the top jingoistic build up, the sucking off each other after. Nah man, not for me.

I dont care who wins it but Rio Ferdinand is a fucking arogant prick. Total arsehole and thats why a lot of non English fans can't stand them.
Probably not popular saying it on here but its true. The over the top jingoistic build up, the sucking off each other after. Nah man, not for me.
Even in the pen shoot out they managed areference to Stuart Pierce’s comeback penaly

Why does it annoy you so much though? English footballer gets behind england, hardly worth the upset.

I said earlier in another thread, I have no enemies in england but plenty up here.
It's the complete and utter disrespect that we get served up by these blowhards on a regular basis. Danny Murphy, Ian Wright, Jenas and that fud Rio etc. "this kid is not bad". Yeah that'll be the kid who's been playing at the top level since he was 16. If the best defence people can offer up for them is they aren't Andy Walker and Liam McLeod then I think that speaks volumes.

It's the complete and utter disrespect that we get served up by these blowhards on a regular basis. Danny Murphy, Ian Wright, Jenas and that fud Rio etc. "this kid is not bad". Yeah that'll be the kid who's been playing at the top level since he was 16. If the best defence people can offer up for them is they aren't Andy Walker and Liam McLeod then I think that speaks volumes.
Your upset cause a pundit says, this kids not bad. Think your reading into that a bit too much or would you prefer some academic to be on and explain the science behind what makes him a top player.

Stop overthinking it, to me that's a compliment to a football player that I've heard many times or similar.

He’ll be missed from the game when he retires. A true legend.

Reminds me of the old school 70’s and 80’s type player in attitude that I grew up watching, more so than the players of today. I want him to get that Euro’s winners medal and I believe he will.
I love watching the Italians defend they've got it down to a fine art and it's good to know Rangers have adopted that way of playing it out from the back. Good to know we're picking up good habits of the best teams in Europe rather than the big punt up the park.

Back