James Rodriguez - Too Good for Everton

He’ll move on from them pretty quick imo, would be a good option for Liverpool to replace Firmino but not sure how dealing with their rival would go

James just scored a nice shot to put Everton 2-1 up on West Brom.

Can’t help but feel he is too good for Everton and should be playing for a CL club.
Maybe he will help Everton to the league title. It is sometimes better being the main man in a mediocre team than a superstar playing beside even better superstars. He will undoubtedly be the main man in that Everton team and will enjoy his football without the pressure!

Always viewed him as a player who never reached the level he could.

Any particular reason why?

A boy who won Monaco Player of the year, Ligue 1 assist leader and team of the season, won the World Cup golden Boot, La Liga's midfielder of the season at Madrid, selected to the the La Liga team of the season and UEFA team of the season, then Bundesliga team of the season and Champions League team of the season at Bayern, Copa America team of the tournament with Colombia.

Not sure there is a level above world class.

A boy who won Monaco Player of the year, Ligue 1 assist leader and team of the season, won the World Cup golden Boot, La Liga's midfielder of the season at Madrid, selected to the the La Liga team of the season and UEFA team of the season, then Bundesliga team of the season and Champions League team of the season at Bayern, Copa America team of the tournament with Colombia.

I wou

Just always seen him as a player who would be 1 of the better players in the Madrid team, not someone who couldn't make the bench.

James just scored a nice shot to put Everton 2-1 up on West Brom.

Can’t help but feel he is too good for Everton and should be playing for a CL club.
It’s Ancelotti, when you’re manager is of that name you can get players like James, especially when money is not an issue.

Who was it last week who said Calvert-Lewin won't score goals?
I've said it in the past.

Maybe this is his season to kick on but I never previously felt he was good enough yet to be a main man at a club trying to force their way into Europe.

Similar to Tammy Abraham last season when peopel were going on about him I always felt he could score a few against the smaller teams but didn't have enough about him to impact a big game. Better player obviously but if he proves me wrong then good on him

He's a class above many of the midfielders in the EPL and showing that already. He will likely score 10+ goals this season and have a boat load more assists.

I suppose the good news for Everton is he is now 29 so may just fancy sticking around to be the main man for them.

I've said it in the past.

Maybe this is his season to kick on but I never previously felt he was good enough yet to be a main man at a club trying to force their way into Europe.

Similar to Tammy Abraham last season when peopel were going on about him I always felt he could score a few against the smaller teams but didn't have enough about him to impact a big game. Better player obviously but if he proves me wrong then good on him

To be fair, 1st goal was a backheel from a yard. 2nd was going in and he helped it over the line and the 3rd hit him on the back.

Sometimes it's just your day and be interesting to see if he can keep scoring for them when it's maybe not his day.

To be fair, 1st goal was a backheel from a yard. 2nd was going in and he helped it over the line and the 3rd hit him on the back.

Sometimes it's just your day and be interesting to see if he can keep scoring for them when it's maybe not his day.
I never saw the game or the goals but maybe just having any sort of hat trick will give him a boost. He's a good hard worker and seems to have a good attitude just think he lacks a bit of an edge.

I really think Everton look the real deal this season , they have 1 of the best managers in the world and have backed him I recon a top 6 finish is well achievable , so is James to good for a top 6 premiership team ?

Reckon Everton have a steal there. Get yer money on James being voted players player of the year.
You Heard it here first!!!!!! ;)

Ridiculous,Great player playing for a wonderful football club with a world class manager the toffees are on the rise .

I think ironically an Everton might be perfect for him.
His main issue at the likes of Madrid and Bayern is he was just one of many.
At Everton he will be the guy.
some players like that and thrive on it.
every time he got the ball Everton clicked into gear. They could be a very good watch this year, DCL racking up the goals too

Seen him play for Banfield in Argentina in 2009, only came on for 10 minutes. Only realised a few year ago when looking at the line ups on Soccerway. Apparently Real Madrid still owe them money as they have a clause for any onward sales of him.
He never played for Banfield

I really think Everton look the real deal this season , they have 1 of the best managers in the world and have backed him I recon a top 6 finish is well achievable , so is James to good for a top 6 premiership team ?
Early days, let’s wait and see where Everton finish up but for me, James is a CL level player. Finishing 5th or 6th isn’t CL level.

Got Liverpool at home next month, should be a decent match for once.
Yes, Everton should have more of a go, which will be better for the neutral and may ironically help Liverpool.

Games between the sides have often been poor in recent times, due to Everton’s approach and Klopp downplaying the game.

Everton have massive ambition now. The models of the new stadium look great and will be ready for 2023/24. The owner (Moshiri) is rich. His best friend (Usmanov) is even richer than Abramovich and is supporting the owner. Watch Everton go over the next few years.

It’s not a loan. It’s a permanent free transfer because Real are desperate to get him off the wage bill, as they are with Bale.
Really? Didn’t realise. Just assumed they’d bought him. Not really paid much attention to the transfer window this year.

I think ironically an Everton might be perfect for him.
His main issue at the likes of Madrid and Bayern is he was just one of many.
At Everton he will be the guy.
some players like that and thrive on it.
every time he got the ball Everton clicked into gear. They could be a very good watch this year, DCL racking up the goals too

He was a standout at Bayern and Madrid also tbf, just unfortunate with the management situations.

It was going brilliantly at Madrid and he was voted midfielder of the season in La Liga until Zidane arrived 18 months later and they didn't get on. Ancelotti and Hynckes loved him at Bayern also and he was tremendous, it was only when they made the disastrous Kovac hire that he asked to leave.

Ancelotti getting him again at Everton will absolutely get the best from him.

Everton need a new keeper and centre half. If they want to break out of being a mid table side.

having said that. Ancelotti knows a shit load more than I do
Think he agrees after some of the stuff pickford did today, he's a typical mental keeper that totally fucks it all time but somehow still pulls off a cracking save now and then to make you consider sticking with him.

On topic, James has scored now In Portugese, French, Spanish German and French leagues.

I looked at the Everton team sheet at the start of the match, and said to my son that that was a world class team on paper! He noted the flaw, that was Pickford, and he nearly sold the jerseys in the first 10 minutes.

James, Richarlison, Allan, Decourt, Mina, Digne, Gomes, Keane.. they could all walk into any Premier League team. Add in Calvert-Lewin, and Coleman who are both very good - they have a strong first XI

Their problem is their strength in depth - there may be a point 5 or 6 of these guys will be injured or off form, and I don't really know who they have to replace them.

I looked at the Everton team sheet at the start of the match, and said to my son that that was a world class team on paper! He noted the flaw, that was Pickford, and he nearly sold the jerseys in the first 10 minutes.

James, Richarlison, Allan, Decourt, Mina, Digne, Gomes, Keane.. they could all walk into any Premier League team. Add in Calvert-Lewin, and Coleman who are both very good - they have a strong first XI

Their problem is their strength in depth - there may be a point 5 or 6 of these guys will be injured or off form, and I don't really know who they have to replace them.
Pickford really is pish isn’t he. 30m POUNDS!!!!

Yeah, and Harry Maguire is worth £80 Million Pounds, and John Stones is worth £50 Million! I wont even start with the Chelsea Goalie! English transfer fees are mental!
The transfer fees are ridiculous in the English market.

Another example is when Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had 12 months left on his deal at Arsenal and Liverpool had to splash £40m to sign him, compare that to yesterday when they get Thiago from Bayern Munich for £25m with 12 months left.

Last edited:
Back