James Tarkowski

West Ham will sign him for 40mil and sell Declan Rice for 90mil, so they'll have 50mil in the bank and their team will be better.

One of Burnley's best players who keeps them up in a league that pays out hundreds of million. Why do people pretend to be shocked

No pretence at all my part my friend.

I understand the market dynamic fully. Bit I am genuinely surprised that a player of his standing and in his position is valued at 50 mill, and would be even more surprised if, when he leaves Burnley, a club pays that for him.

I could see the value in Liverpool paying what they did for Van Dijk - but that seems a bargain by comparison. But it is a rare thing indeed for a defender to go for this price.

I suppose it merely demonstrates the IBla tip art effect deals like that Leicester did with Man Utd can have in the mid term

Very good player playing for an unfashionable club. If he was playing for one of the top 6 he would be starting for England every game.

In today’s market he’s worth the money as he’s at a good age and can still get better.

Outwith Liverpool and City, the quality of the EPL is the lowest it's been in almost a couple of decades. Soulless, corporate guff that just leaves me cold. Everyone buzzing to see which one of City or Liverpool runs away with it this year and see Norwich replace West Brom at the end of the year? Christ, almost forgot about the battle for fourth. Which billion pound squad will miss out this year?! How exciting.

If you think Chelsea won’t challenge this season or next after signing Ziyech, Havertz and Werner among others then you need to give your head a wobble. United also could be up there again with a couple more top signings. De Beek was a good start for them.

Burnley to West Ham is a bit of a sideways step. The hammers will be in the relegation picture this season imo. Already we have had their captain slagging off the board on Twitter.

He is a decent cb but never worth £50m, but we cant have it both ways. We want top money for our players in the spfl, so players in the epl will go for higher fees.

To be fair it is inevitable. Its just a matter of when not if. Clubs are running unsustainably high levels of debt. All it would take is a minor reduction in money for the next tv deal and you would soon see a domino effect happen. Obviously the tv deals may be strong the next few times, but eventually it will happen and you will see a market correction

I would never say never when it comes to predicting the collapse of the English transfer market. More likely they'll have a few lean years at some point than an actual collapse.

I would never say never when it comes to predicting the collapse of the English transfer market. More likely they'll have a few lean years at some point than an actual collapse.

'Lean years' in which only £1.25 billion is spent on transfers.

If you think Chelsea won’t challenge this season or next after signing Ziyech, Havertz and Werner among others then you need to give your head a wobble. United also could be up there again with a couple more top signings. De Beek was a good start for them.
Chelsea conceded the same amount of goals as Brighton last season. Until they sort that I'm afraid it's your head that will be wobbling. Man Utd won't be providing any kind of challenge with OGS in charge either.

Chelsea conceded the same amount of goals as Brighton last season. Until they sort that I'm afraid it's your head that will be wobbling. Man Utd won't be providing any kind of challenge with OGS in charge either.

I fancy Liverpool to fall away a bit next year. The team is getting older and Klopp's teams tend to tire after a few years.

(Last year I predicted that Sheffield United would be relegated with the worst points total in EPL history, so taking that into account, get your money on them retaining the title.)

I fancy Liverpool to fall away a bit next year. The team is getting older and Klopp's teams tend to tire after a few years.

(Last year I predicted that Sheffield United would be relegated with the worst points total in EPL history, so taking that into account, get your money on them retaining the title.)
I think city will win the league.

In any case, even if Chelsea do challenge are we meant to be impressed? They've spent about a quarter of a billion on players this summer :D

Outwith Liverpool and City, the quality of the EPL is the lowest it's been in almost a couple of decades. Soulless, corporate guff that just leaves me cold. Everyone buzzing to see which one of City or Liverpool runs away with it this year and see Norwich replace West Brom at the end of the year? Christ, almost forgot about the battle for fourth. Which billion pound squad will miss out this year?! How exciting.

I rarely watch English football anymore. The EPL relegation battle in the last 4 or 5 games is when I get interested. I couldn't identify most of these new £ 50 million + superstars either.

Wishful thinking. It's a long way off at the moment.

They are attracting the best managers and the best players are starting to follow suit so the deal is going to keep increasing.

They've just rescinded a £550m contract with China and most if not all of the TV deals have went down since the last negotiation. There probably won't be a crash but will most likely be a gradual return to normality for most outside of the top 6

They won’t win the title (or are very unlikely to) until they also get a top keeper in. But I lost count the amount of times Chelsea were the better side but dropped points because they weren’t clinical enough. You would think the signings they have made will improve that. Add to that the fact that Liverpool and City as of yet haven’t really improved their first 11’s, and all the young players at Chelsea will be that little more experienced, I don’t see how anyone could not consider them as potential challengers. Much will depend on how quickly then can gel as a team though obviously.

Our league must be the only one in Europe whose revenue has decreased in real terms over the last 25yrs

Where exactly does this money end up going it does the merry go round the Clubs,the agents are making profit but not that much with the sums of cash going about the game.

That’s been said for years now.
What’s going to cause it?

This pandemic should have caused it but the Government pandered to English football putting it before people’s lives, education and the economy.

Far more people should have been allowed back to work before football players.

These fees are simple economics - supply and demand.

EPL clubs get £200m a year in tv money just for being there. That’s before gate receipts, hospitality, merchandise, etc.

So to buy a player from another EPL club, particularly a relegation rival, is going to cost as the value of that player (especially if they’re seen as a key player) is very significant.

We get peanuts in comparison, and max we can aim for is £50m or so from CL qualification. So value of our assets, or assets we can bring in, is commensurate to that.

If you had watched Englands last two games as a scout with no knowledge of who the players were and their ludicrous valuations, you would have went back to your regional club recommending that nobody was to be signed.

This pandemic should have caused it but the Government pandered to English football putting it before people’s lives, education and the economy.

Far more people should have been allowed back to work before football players.

How did the government pander to English football?

Keep hearing if we moved south we could hold our own initially but we’d need a lot more than the sky money. The sky money would only buy 2 or 3 players at these figures
Aye, and we'd easily hold our own with that. Our own squad would immediately be worth multiple times what it would be in Scotland. That's the nature of the economic bubble.

West Ham offering Burnley 30 mill. Burnley want 50 mill.

This is quite the thing.

No end to the madness.
What madness are you referring to ?

Big money league so big money for transfers.

Why do Scots not understand this, everyone else does.

Every time a player is bought by an EPL team, posters feel the need to quote the same guff.

It's the big time, no need for you to get excited again, glad to have helped.

Next !!!

What madness are you referring to ?

Big money league so big money for transfers.

Why do Scots not understand this, everyone else does.

Every time a player is bought by an EPL team, posters feel the need to quote the same guff.

It's the big time, no need for you to get excited again, glad to have helped.

Next !!!

Its madness because you can get better players, far cheaper. What is it you dont understand about that?

Next!

See when their transfer market collapses I will be laughing my drawers off.

You won’t be laughing, sky won’t ever stop but if they did there would be American or Asian companies willing to pay just as much.

There is more chance of us getting into the premier league than the billions of it getting any lower.

Back