James Tavernier

This .. All day long - also he messed up the chance right before it and didn’t hide from it.

I think our manager knows a bit more about football matters than us so if he thinks Tavernier should be Captain then that's good enough for me.

I think our manager knows a bit more about football matters than us so if he thinks Tavernier should be Captain then that's good enough for me.

He’ll make mistakes, he’s already made a few costly ones. People need to get away from this idea that because he was a great player he’ll always make the right calls as a manager.

I said to my mates that if Candeias doesn't play Tav will not have a good game. They have a great understanding and are a great partnership.

He’ll make mistakes, he’s already made a few costly ones. People need to get away from this idea that because he was a great player he’ll always make the right calls as a manager.
Still you know career at the highest level with a backroom team made up of various Pro Licence holders.

Better credentials than the pull string dolls claiming Tav can't defend despite an every growing library of evidence to the contrary.

Still you know career at the highest level with a backroom team made up of various Pro Licence holders.

Better credentials than the pull string dolls claiming Tav can't defend despite an every growing library of evidence to the contrary.

To be fair there’s ample evidence to suggest he doesn’t defend well.

Ally and his team had their licenses too

To be fair there’s ample evidence to suggest he doesn’t defend well.

Ally and his team had their licenses too
I don't know. I can never tell on here whether someone is just commenting on recent form or whether it's an entrenched opinion that they just won't be talked round on.

Get fullbacks that can defend was the cry for years however we now see Flanagan who is (meant to be) a primarily defensive full back offering next to nothing in an attacking sense; I think that's been a real hindrance to our play in a lot of games.

The evolution of attacking full backs and the reduction in the amount of old school warrior captains is something that all of football is having to digest but we talk as if it's specific to us.

I don't know. I can never tell on here whether someone is just commenting on recent form or whether it's an entrenched opinion that they just won't be talked round on.

Get fullbacks that can defend was the cry for years however we now see Flanagan who is (meant to be) a primarily defensive full back offering next to nothing in an attacking sense; I think that's been a real hindrance to our play in a lot of games.

The evolution of attacking full backs and the reduction in the amount of old school warrior captains is something that all of football is having to digest but we talk as if it's specific to us.

You don’t have to be a crap defender to be an attacking full back. Plenty of forward thinking fullbacks can do their defensive duties too. When I think of Taverniers time with us there’s a lot of goood, however, there’s also a shit load of costly defensive errors. It’s not on recent form it’s based on his career as a Rangers player to date.

been pretty consistent this year . Yesterday’s game was bad can’t really pick out one player also weather didn’t help was atrocious.

I think in general the whole team has been poor recently and is not clicking at the moment.
But I agree he's not captain material; Goldson would be better.

That’s 4 really poor games in a row for him now. He’s one of few who’s played almost every single game. Think he needs a rest as well as a reminder there’s someone to take his place if he’s not playing well. I’d play McCrorie at RB against Spartak.
That’s four poor games in a row for everyone.

What has Mcrorie ever done at right back to suggest he should be in ahead of tav?

You can’t just drop one of our best players without having someone who will replace him.

Tav hit a good spell last season right up to the 3-2 against the scum at Ibrox. We needed a performance out him that day and he went off the boil and it disappeared for the rest of the season

Spartak game we needed a performance out him and I thought he was brutal that night (other games yes but I don’t why he was voted no1 EL defender unless was for all games not that one) , Aberdeen n killie his form was also dire and again today.
I’m worried incase this poor form continues like last season as am starting to see a pattern of what looks to me like he plays his worst when we need him the most

I like Tav but he was rotten today. Just because he's the captain doesn't mean he can't be dropped. Yes he drove forward at the goal but he wasn't good enough in the whole match. I think he needs a game off and see him come back stronger

The amount of our attaches that end with Tav is unbelievable. Whether this is due to an over reliance on him or just a lack of ideas as a team I don’t know.

He needs to make better decisions and not always pump it in the box at the earliest opportunity.

What has happened is Tav and Kents form has both dipped badly in the last week and you can see the affect on the team big style. Fair play to Candeias for delivering yesterday because the team badly needed it. Maybe both need a rest on Thursday, another plastic pitch in Russia.

This thread:D:D

People really think we go out and play against traffic cones or something.

I predict 30 minutes of Flanagan at RB over Tav would be enough for folk to realise what we were missing.

I'm steaming enough to not type out an essay and just say that Tavernier is pish and has been here long enough to deserve the criticism. He has been rewarded and elevated to Rangers captain and rightly or wrongly when that's your position you have to be the talisman and the man every week and that he just isn't. Either take the captaincy off him or sell him.

Edit: He had a great phase and now is going through a poor phase. It's been happening for almost three years now on and off. If you are Rangers captain you cannot afford to have three or four pish games in a row. That's the end of the discussion in my eyes.

I thought he had a poor gamr
But he was part of a bavk 4 that didn't concede and had a key part in the goal
Although little came off for him he did not hide, did not give up and certainly did not go into his shell
That is why I am a fan of the player
Also had we been given a penalty with a few minutes to go and the game at 0-0 he woukd have stepped up and scored it

Another poor game for him

Not good enough and never a Rangers captain

He has one good game in like 10 games

What do people see in him

Why did we keep him this summer and people on here seem to think we can get 10m-15m for him when west brom wanted him

Where do you start with this nonsense?

Thankfully our manager knows slightly more about the game than you and has seen fit to play him in every game this season.

The only member of our squad to have done so.

Out of interest who would you start at right back ahead of him?

I'm dying to hear the answer to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartak - no goal conceded.
Aberdeen - Goldson beaten at a corner. 1 goal conceded.
Kilmarnock - Worrall & Flanagan hopeless. 1 goal conceded.
St Mirren - no goal conceded.

Our last 4 games, yet for some reason a Tav bashing thread appears. :/

Not to mention the much over hyped Jordan Jones not getting a kick against him the other night and eventually being substituted.

It was interesting listening to Rio Ferdinand and Martin Keown after the Arsenal and Liverpool game last night as they spoke about the role of the full back and centre back in thr modern game. Great insight that put to bed for me any doubt that Tav is one our most important players.

Basically RF was explaining that in his day and Martins before they would control the fullbacks positioning on their side, he said that as a CB he only had to defend the pocket in front of him. In his words in the modern game its the mobility of the CB as he covers in behind the full back and the pocket behind him as well as in front. Keown said the full backneeded to come back when under siege (which I think Tav does).

Both agreed that in the modern game the FB defensive duties were secondary and more fell on the CB.

Tav should be one of the first names on the team sheet not a replacement for Windass as a whipping boy.

An on form Tav brings so much to the team in terms of forward play and assists. However, it bothers me to see the Rangers captain staring at the ground and shaking his head after a poor delivery or a wayward shot. Hardly inspires confidence.

I wouldn't drop him but id like to see him pass the arm band to Goldson, Jack, McGregor?

He certainly divides the support.

Divided between the clueless and the ones with some sort of grasp of the game that they see his worth to us.

Thankfully our manager and his coaching team have an excellent knowledge of the game and have started him in every game this season.

That says it all.

Where do you start with this nonsense?

Thankfully our manager knows slightly more about the game than you and has seen fit to play him in every game this season.

The only member of our squad to have done so.

Out of interest who would you start at right back ahead of him?

I'm dying to hear the answer to this.
The part in bold is the one question for those who continually criticise him can't give a definitive or logical answer

Divided between the clueless and the ones with some sort of grasp of the game that they see his worth to us.

Thankfully our manager and his coaching team have an excellent knowledge of the game and have started him in every game this season.

That says it all.

You can’t be watching him the last few games as Rangers captain and thinking that’s an acceptable level of performance by any stretch of the imagination. He is inconsistent and has been for years now that’s why the debate is appearing as he has repeatedly showed these patches of bad form under multiple managers now. Unfair to just say people are clueless when asking questions of him.

I said to my mates that if Candeias doesn't play Tav will not have a good game. They have a great understanding and are a great partnership.
Well he will have to follow Taverner when he moves to another club because it seems Tav plays poorly when he is not in the team, good players don't need others to shine I'm afraid.

Fair enough, he's only playing because he's the least worst we have for LB?
But seriously, I'll tell you what really is 'clueless', MU, setting any player up as practically beyond scrutiny. Our team, like it has for too long now, has too many games where we don't play like Rangers. We're too passive, too laboured, too safe and, in any professional competition but particularly in this league, and especially with our corrupt referees, that's unacceptable. Tav is our captain and a Rangers captain has to shoulder additional responsibility and act as an exemplar to the rest. I'm not asking him to scream, shout, kick opponents or assault the ref, I am asking that our captain, in whatever way is most productive for him, ensures we are no less aggressive than the opponents. I don't see that in Tav. Some have it, he doesn't.
I don't accept that conclusion is clueless.

That says it all.
Who else do they have to replace him for gods sake.

You can’t be watching him the last few games as Rangers captain and thinking that’s an acceptable level of performance by any stretch of the imagination. He is inconsistent and has been for years now that’s why the debate is appearing as he has repeatedly showed these patches of bad form under multiple managers now. Unfair to just say people are clueless when asking questions of him.

He's been that inconsistent the manager has seen fit to start him in every game this season.

I agree his set pieces have been poor and I've him nowhere near them, but his general play has been fine.

Last few games you say mate?

Yesterday he was constantly bombing forward and was involved in Candeias goal, whilst comfortably handling any attacking threat from St Mirren down his side.

Wednesday night he never gave Jordan Jones a kick until he was substituted, as well as hitting the bar and being involved in all our attacking play down the right.

Against Aberdeen he never gave McGinn a kick.

Against Hearts he was outstanding.

Crucial penalties and multiple assists all season too, plus he's been receiving accolades from all the teams we've played in Europe, as well as being the highest ranked defender in the Europa League this season.

As I said, thankfully our manager knows his worth and I reckon he knows a player when he sees one mate.

Who would you play at right back?

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been that inconsistent the manager has seen fit to start him in every game this season.

I agree his set pieces have been poor and I've him nowhere near them, but his general play has been fine.

Last few games you say mate?

Yesterday he was constantly bombing forward and was involved in Candeias goal, whilst comfortably handling any attacking threat from St Mirren down his side.

Wednesday night he never gave Jordan Jones a kick until he was substituted, as well as hitting the bar and being involved in all our attacking play down the right.

Against Aberdeen he never gave McGinn a kick.

Against Hearts he was outstanding.

Crucial penalties and multiple assists all season too, plus he's been receiving accolades from all the teams we've played in Europe, as well as being the highest ranked defender in the Europa League this season.

As I said, thankfully our manager knows his worth and I reckon he knows a player when he sees one mate.

Who would you play at right back?

I completely disagree that he was comfortable defensively yesterday, Edwards was constantly giving him issues.

On Wednesday night it was Candeias doing the majority of our attacking work down the right side which is why we didn’t have any joy down that side as soon as he came off for Lafferty, but that may of been due to a switch up in tactics.

Whole team was good against Hearts and we were in good form. We can debate every game he’s ever played here some good some bad but mate you’re not acknowledging what the main point of my post was.

I’m not going to take Europe away from him same way I don’t take it away when discussing Gerrard and his record so far so fair enough but the whole crux of my argument is I’m simply tired of his inconsistency and good and bad patches, I expect more from a captain it is that simple and admittedly I’ve had an issue with him ever since he said it was a decent point at Pittodrie last year after it effectively condemned us to third place.

Asking who I’d replace him with is a loaded question because you know there’s not really any viable alternatives in the current squad but that wasn’t the argument it’s if he’s good enough going into the future.

I completely disagree that he was comfortable defensively yesterday, Edwards was constantly giving him issues.

On Wednesday night it was Candeias doing the majority of our attacking work down the right side which is why we didn’t have any joy down that side as soon as he came off for Lafferty, but that may of been due to a switch up in tactics.

Whole team was good against Hearts and we were in good form. We can debate every game he’s ever played here some good some bad but mate you’re not acknowledging what the main point of my post was.

I’m not going to take Europe away from him same way I don’t take it away when discussing Gerrard and his record so far so fair enough but the whole crux of my argument is I’m simply tired of his inconsistency and good and bad patches, I expect more from a captain it is that simple and admittedly I’ve had an issue with him ever since he said it was a decent point at Pittodrie last year after it effectively condemned us to third place.

Asking who I’d replace him with is a loaded question because you know there’s not really any viable alternatives in the current squad but that wasn’t the argument it’s if he’s good enough going into the future.

No point going around in circles about his performances if you're going to fundamentally disagree with the manager's assessment of him.

As for the captaincy, I don't see him as a natural leader, but by %^*& he's stood up and taken responsibility with a few massive penalties this season.

Who would you have as your captain mate?

As a fan of his, he has been poor for a few games now.

He needs to find his confidence again and quickly.

He plays well when the team plays well and poor when the team plays poor.
Seems to split opinion . Does have good attacking moments but defensively im not convinced by him despite the decent performances v Rapid and Spartak.
Verdict- Sell for silly money to Brighton or whoever comes in for him.

8 goals and 8 assists in all competitions so far from a right back position.

What else do you honestly expect from him?

No point going around in circles about his performances if you're going to fundamentally disagree with the manager's assessment of him.

As for the captaincy, I don't see him as a natural leader, but by %^*& he's stood up and taken responsibility with a few massive penalties this season.

Who would you have as your captain mate?

I’m reluctant to go in circles about individual performances because like I said he isn’t consistent so we could just keep going.

Gerrard clearly rates him and so do I to a degree I just don’t think any Rangers player that’s been majorly involved in every failure the last few years is above questioning just because the manager picks him. Four managers have been picking him and as it stands, we’ve achieved nothing. Hopefully that changes, until then people will be asking questions and in my own personal opinion rightly so.

I’m reluctant to go in circles about individual performances because like I said he isn’t consistent so we could just keep going.

Gerrard clearly rates him and so do I to a degree I just don’t think any Rangers player that’s been majorly involved in every failure the last few years is above questioning just because the manager picks him. Four managers have been picking him and as it stands, we’ve achieved nothing. Hopefully that changes, until then people will be asking questions and in my own personal opinion rightly so.

Have you got an alternative option for captain?

Back