James Tavernier

For who as Flanagan is also a diddy according to this place?o_O

They can't all be diddies, it's the fitbaw perfectionists and master tacticians of FF who berate the same players every week, now today it's Scott Arfield in another thread.

Last week it was Alfie, but his is not due to form or confidence it's his behaviour. Yesterday he led the line well and was rewarded with his goal.

He was atrocious yesterday and the past few games in particular.
He didn't seem to have studs in his boots either, was constantly sliding on his arse when others were able to deal with the surface.
His shooting is abysmal also.
Very frustrating, as we've all seen him perform to a much higher level.

Tavernier has polarised opinion on here for some time now.

There’s a group who will seemingly never take to him and another who think he’s the new Sandy Jardine.

Personally I like him, but he’s not beyond criticism.

Like Hutton and Whittaker before him, he’s great going forward but is quite poor defensively.

So some games we get the best of him, surging forward and whipping in dangerous balls for his assists, and others he’s all at sea defensively and costing us goals.

I’ve resolved for some time though that the good tends to outweigh the bad with him, and while he’s not the £10m player some seem to think, he’s much better than others give him credit for.

However, I do agree that he doesn’t really drive us on as we might reasonably expect from the club captain.

Yesterday was a case in point. Players all have off days, but captains should have less of them than their team mates - that just goes with the territory.

I’m not really sure who would replace him though.

McGregor possibly, Jack perhaps (he was Aberdeen’s skipper after all, although again doesn’t really convince me he’s the sort of inspirational leader we require) and Arfield is the captain of Canada, so there are options, but ultimately we lack an obvious outfield leader at the club, someone who will drive the whole team forward and fight to the last to win.

Someone like Steven Gerrard actually.

That’s four poor games in a row for everyone.

What has Mcrorie ever done at right back to suggest he should be in ahead of tav?

You can’t just drop one of our best players without having someone who will replace him.

True and there are other players that need rotated too but I think Tav has been particularly bad. He’s played almost every game so we need to decide if we want to rotate and where our priorities lie. You can’t just expect him to play every game and keep the same level. I think the reaction to the Aberdeen game showed that everyone is desperate for a bit of domestic success and we play every one of the top teams in December. Flanagan would be the first option but I don’t think he plays on plastic pitches.

Morelos aside, Tav is our biggest attacking threat.

Some people just don't like him though and they never will. I came to realise that a wee while ago...no matter how good or bad he actually plays, there will always be a thread blaming him for something.

His crossing/set pieces hasn't been great in the last 3/4 games, yet the other night vs Kilmarnock who was the only player who was constantly driving the team forward and trying to make something happen.

That’s 4 really poor games in a row for him now. He’s one of few who’s played almost every single game. Think he needs a rest as well as a reminder there’s someone to take his place if he’s not playing well. I’d play McCrorie at RB against Spartak.

Where do you even start with this pish?

This again. Steven Gerrard has made him captain so as a matter of fact he is the captain of rangers. But some guy on FF knows better than a man who done a fantastic job of captaining club and country and is our current manager. This is getting really really boring after every game

BTW anyone saying he was poor against Kilmarnock should chuck watching football and take up badminton or something.

Also, the role of captain is so overstated it's unreal.

Why not ask Jordan Jones whether or not he was pish, because Tav never gave him a sniff and he was eventually substituted .

Morelos aside, Tav is our biggest attacking threat.

Some people just don't like him though and they never will. I came to realise that a wee while ago...no matter how good or bad he actually plays, there will always be a thread blaming him for something.

His crossing/set pieces hasn't been great in the last 3/4 games, yet the other night vs Kilmarnock who was the only player who was constantly driving the team forward and trying to make something happen.

Where do you even start with this pish?

So you don't think he should be rested? We've played 29 games already this season (I think he's missed one) and you expect him to play every game without his levels dropping or showing any signs of fatigue?

Some amount of arseholes within our support.

When I'm at the game I support every player because I'm a supporter.

In the boozer I'll give certain players criticism but phuck me we've came a long way in a short time.

NS.

Ive said this before, i dont like Tavernier. I never have and probably never will (as a footballer)

He has been poorer than normal recently but i can also concede he has upped it this season. To deny either if these things would be stupid. He has been better but recently its majorly dipped.

Some things for me, some can be changed, others not.

Id rather he wasnt captain but gerrard made his choice and he is. That wont change.

He has stopped with the corners which is good cos they were god awful. That said we must attack the ball cos hallidays corners were begging to be scored.

He must also stop with the free kicks at present cos they are every bit as bad as his corners.

Im not sure why the dip lately. Is it pressure of the team dipping a bit and the responsibility as captain? Ball is bobbling about off hin defensively and opening up chances. Too often indecisive going forward. When tav is off it like he is now, id rather see him just get the basics done. Again in his defence, not that easy when there is a complete lack of aggression infront of him to go forward.
Look at the fucking state of this post.

Not read the whole thread - but if you watch the lead up to the 1st goal on Saturday, Tav's input to it was massive. Winning the ball several times and then making the pass out to Candeias.

Ok, he's not perfect, but I struggle to fault the guy. Time and time again he does the business and delivers.

Not read the whole thread - but if you watch the lead up to the 1st goal on Saturday, Tav's input to it was massive. Winning the ball several times and then making the pass out to Candeias.

Ok, he's not perfect, but I struggle to fault the guy. Time and time again he does the business.
Like Kent , Tav just needs a rest of a game or two.

Sell him and bring in a Captain that knows how to win games inspire the team and win Trophies its that simple.............

Not going to get involved in the pish v genius debate :) (He's neither)

BUT if we want to cash in on any outfield player then it would be him EVERY time for me...keep Alfie and Goldson

There’s definitely something simple about your post.
Aww has he won trophies?? Does he inspire the team?? he is an ok player dont get me wrong average player at best but he does not have the attributes that of a Captain of Rangers should have and he would bring us in a good bit of money which could be used on a far superior player Simples. Think most would agree we need to Speculate to accumulate.............

Aww has he won trophies?? Does he inspire the team?? he is an ok player dont get me wrong average player at best but he does not have the attributes that of a Captain of Rangers should have and he would bring us in a good bit of money which could be used on a far superior player Simples. Think most would agree we need to Speculate to accumulate.............
Don’t know where to start with this pish.

Which far superior yet affordable player have you got earmarked for us then?

He is a talented football player who suffers from what is known as “form” it isn’t like FIFA where your players turn up and play to a high level every single week, mental as it is sometimes players play well and sometimes they don’t – in real life there are tangible factors that come into the equation.

At his best Tavernier alters the shape and attacking intent of our team by running lines and angles that alter the options for those on the ball, he also carries and brings the ball out of defense well, has a really decent cross on him – he is an excellent athlete who offers our team pace and the ability to counter team well.

At his worst he over hits free kicks now and then and can be beaten defensively by his opposite number, that doesn’t make him shit, it makes him a football player playing football out with the level of the CL.

He would cost a fortune to replace – the fact we took a would be super duper EPL winning full back shows that – Flanagan as a player would cost 5 million and he doesn’t bring anything like the level of talent to us Tavernier does, nor does Barisic who again cost decent money to us.

It is always easier to take the piss out of what we have, rather than consider what we might end up with.

This thread is bat shit barking mental :D

Honestly, FF just gets more and more insane by every passing week :D

If we have any chance of winning anything, we must have players like Tavernier performing. He hasn't been himself the past few games but that doesn't mean dropping or replacing him. Gerrard must find a way of getting the very best out of him (and the likes of Arfield) on a consistent basis.

You've got to be RoyalBlue 2 under a different sign in. :D

That mentalist's last "speculate to accumulate" post was £10m for a Liverpool reserve who's not played a game this season.

This place is full of loonies :)

You've got to be RoyalBlue 2 under a different sign in. :D

That mentalist's last "speculate to accumulate" post was £10m for a Liverpool reserve who's not played a game this season.

This place is full of loonies :)
Could get maybe 2 decent players for the 10 million instead of one :p

Far too many people just say we should sell him and replace him...

Great idea, but replace him with who? Who else are you going to find that contributes as much as Tav does within our budget? Nobody.

So you don't think he should be rested? We've played 29 games already this season (I think he's missed one) and you expect him to play every game without his levels dropping or showing any signs of fatigue?

He had a rest a wee while ago and he's a professional footballer in the peak of his career...Davie Weir played about 65 games in 2008/09 and he was about 45 at the time.

So who do you suggest then if it's that simple.
Steven Davis for a start know he doesnt play in his position but use the money from Tav to bring in experienced players who have won leagues...............Will get back to you when i see how much we sell him for

He is a good attacking full back and a poor defender. I think he deserves his place in the team, however he is not captain material, Goldson should be captain IMO.

I'm pleased he left the corners alone on Saturday. If he could just stop trying to Bend it like Beckham every time we get an attacking free kick

Far too many people just say we should sell him and replace him...

Great idea, but replace him with who? Who else are you going to find that contributes as much as Tav does within our budget? Nobody.

He had a rest a wee while ago and he's a professional footballer in the peak of his career...Davie Weir played about 65 games in 2008/09 and he was about 45 at the time.

Fair enough but I still think it'll come back to bite us if we don't rotate a bit before December. Kent is another one that I think could do with sitting out a game to rest. We play 9 games in 27 days in December including Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs twice and the derby game. If we don't manage minutes carefully enough I think we'll pay the price. The fans are desperate for a bit of domestic success so to me, the best thing to do would be to rotate a few in Europe.

Tavernier is vastly overrated and possibly our worst ever captain.
The Tav captain
I have never read such utter bollocks about one of our best players ever.
Even for FF standards its unreal..

I thought we won today is anyone ever happy

Maybe, I'm reading this wrong here. But if you truly think Tav is one of our best players ever, then we seriously need to agree to disagree.

Back