Jan Wouters on Roy Makaay's coaching

Riquelme

“With Feyenoord, Roy did the strikers. You know how good he was as a player so he can tell attacking players how to react on the pitch.

“He did some amazing exercises on the training pitch with the strikers at Feyenoord.

“It will be great for Rangers’ strikers to have someone like Roy at the club. He was one of Europe’s best as a player so he will definitely make them better.

“Especially with the small details. He’s excellent at coaching how to move in and around the box.”

The way I'm feeling right now is I wouldn't waste his breath on Morelos.

I'd much rather a young and hungry striker sign in January. It won't happen but someone like Nisbet

Morelos at his best is in a different stratosphere to Nisbet. I know hes frustrated this season, but if MaKaay can get him firing again, or, dare i even say improve him? Thats the best scenario, his value rises and we can cash in during the summer, after lifting 56

Morelos at his best is in a different stratosphere to Nisbet. I know hes frustrated this season, but if MaKaay can get him firing again, or, dare i even say improve him? Thats the best scenario, his value rises and we can cash in during the summer, after lifting 56

I'd love that more than anything. I just don't see it happening. Morelos has to want it and I just don't see him wanting it as much as he would have to to come back from his current form

I don’t think it necessarily spells the end for JD. As has been mentioned on the forum he has recently become engaged to a Scottish woman who has a young daughter in school. I think his intention will be too stay and so long as GVB can find a role for him, he’ll probably stay on as a coach.

He also has a contract as a registered player in the squad so who knows… maybe Roy Makaay will look at him in training and think he’s the best finisher in the squad still.

Partly why I caveated with "the way I'm feeling right now".

I'm thinking too short term as I don't see a firing Alfie until at least February giving the amount of dedication and work needed.
Yeah you’re probably right just think a change of coaching should be a right kick up the arse for him. His standards have dropped to rock bottom and he needs to improve.

He’s a very huffy guy but he’s always made it clear he wants to go to the top of football, he won’t enjoy a spell on the sidelines and I just hope the management can reignite his spark.

Spot on

Last edited:
I assume this spells the end for JD?
I read a piece on Gerrard’s set up at Villa - it was talking about all the coaches having specific groups to work with and that it was Beale who was working with the forwards with us - made no sense at all!

Yeah you’re probably right just think a change of coaching should be a right kick up the arse for him. His standards have dropped to rock bottom and he needs to improve.

He’s a very buggy guy but he’s always made it clear he wants to go to the top of football, he won’t enjoy a spell on the sidelines and I just hope the management can reignite his spark.

Good news is Gio has seen first hand what Morelos can do on the European stage away in Rotterdam. Two cracking headers on the big stage.

He and the coaching team will do everything they can. But then it's up to the player

I'd much rather a young and hungry striker sign in January. It won't happen but someone like Nisbet
He’s almost as much of a pr*** as Porteous! Plus I don’t think he’s good enough for us.

I think the end was evident when he was in Sky studios on our match days.

Gio and Maakay need to resolve the Morelos issue one way or another. A major diet and lifestyle change or ship him.
Can be the size of a puggy machine as long as he sticks the ball in the back of the net again

Good news is Gio has seen first hand what Morelos can do on the European stage away in Rotterdam. Two cracking headers on the big stage.

He and the coaching team will do everything they can. But then it's up to the player
If morelos wants his move he is going to need to screw the head imo

I have the belief gio and makaay will stop him dropping into midfield which gerrard obviously coached into him

JD was a good striker, amazing on his day, but he has won one trophy, last year with us. How he is going to get anyone up for winning one off cup games is beyond me. Time to move on, we need real structure and leadership, not pals in the changing room. Hopefully RM can get the message over to the strikers or let them go, new blood needed upfront

He’s almost as much of a pr*** as Porteous! Plus I don’t think he’s good enough for us.

Wouldn't mind some pricks to play for us.

See if you line Tav, Aribo, Kamara, Kent, Davis, Balogan from Sunday they'd all be described as nice.

You'd only say McGregor, Goldson, Arfield and Morelos have any kind of attitude.

Borna gives it the warrior look and come get me at corners but in reality he's a softie

Good point.
Just checked. 4 seasons at La Coruna and 2 seasons at Tenerife. He will at the very least have the basics like;

‘This way fatty’
‘Today we do coffin runs fatty’
‘One touch sharp and a quick pass and peel into the box…fatty’
‘Training is cancelled fatty. Put on this tin foil suit and off to the sauna’

Last edited:

He's not much younger than Morelos, less than a year between them. He's also been criticised for his poor form this season and the goals have dried up. An out of form Nisbet who would likely cost at least £4m is the last thing we need and i'd be amazed if it happened in January.

Wouldn't mind some pricks to play for us.

See if you line Tav, Aribo, Kamara, Kent, Davis, Balogan from Sunday they'd all be described as nice.

You'd only say McGregor, Goldson, Arfield and Morelos have any kind of attitude.

Borna gives it the warrior look and come get me at corners but in reality he's a softie
Fair points well made :))

We’ve been missing attitude for a long time. The only guy that had it was Morelos and he’s lost it!

Him and the fella who scored the hat trick looked like world beaters and were exactly what we were missing. They had energy and desire in spades

Back