Jan Wouters on Roy Makaay's coaching

Wouldn't mind some pricks to play for us.

See if you line Tav, Aribo, Kamara, Kent, Davis, Balogan from Sunday they'd all be described as nice.

You'd only say McGregor, Goldson, Arfield and Morelos have any kind of attitude.

Borna gives it the warrior look and come get me at corners but in reality he's a softie

9658322.jpg

“Nice”

I'm really intrigued to see what Philips makes of the squad's condition. I read the other day about how he whipped Roman Pavlyuchenko into shape before Euro 2008, making him lose 4KG. That Russia team steamrollered past teams on to their way to the semis.
This is intriguing, we’ve looked very lethargic this season even though previously Milsom has had the players incredibly fit.

Might be burn out from too many games, but I’d be surprised and I reckon it’s more to do with the disrupted pre season. We might not see the rewards till January though, when we could perhaps do a mini pre-season.

This is intriguing, we’ve looked very lethargic this season even though previously Milsom has had the players incredibly fit.

Might be burn out from too many games, but I’d be surprised and I reckon it’s more to do with the disrupted pre season. We might not see the rewards till January though, when we could perhaps do a mini pre-season.

Yeah, pre-season was a debacle this year — through no fault of our own.

Wasn't there a story doing the rounds about how, unlike previous seasons, we were looking for the players to hit peak fitness after January? I think it might have been Beale who said it.

Philips has some CV. Man Utd also sent Van Persie to work with him in one-on-one sessions when he was at PSV and Holland. Milsom is highly rated, but this guy seems another level.

Yeah, pre-season was a debacle this year — through no fault of our own.

Wasn't there a story doing the rounds about how, unlike previous seasons, we were looking for the players to hit peak fitness after January? I think it might have been Beale who said it.

Philips has some CV. Man Utd also sent Van Persie to work with him in one-on-one sessions when he was at PSV and Holland. Milsom is highly rated, but this guy seems another level.
Yeah, someone definitely mentioned that last season we built towards optimal performance in the second half of the season.

Can’t remember who though.

You’ve absolutely sold me on Arlo Phillip’s, sounds like a good addition.

Is that the case? I thought he was only doing pre-season full time to gauge where he's at and then was doing bits of coaching here and there. I swear I've seen photos of him wearing coaching gear around the first team as well.

Only going with what Ross Wilson said about him mate, and that was a few weeks into the season.

He has warmed up the players at times during the season as you say, but probably only because he was in the matchday squad (which is more than the final 18 chosen remember) much in the same way young Robbie helps to warm up McGregor and McClaughlin.

The fact he has played at that level means he is capable of playing at it again. He might need to move to get back to it, but hes obviously capable - unless you are genuinely suggesting a player peaked at 23, which is almost unheard of.

Cant agree at all with your last sentence. Morelos was poor but Nisbet was a non-factor. He never even had a shot on goal. Dont even remember hearing his name mentioned in the 2nd half. Just cause Alfie was pish doesnt mean you need to throw out the hyperbole regarding Nisbet.
Apart from running off Tav and causing him to panic at the first goal, and getting an assist for the second by playing the through ball to Boyle, then knocking down a back post header that should have been a tap in for Boyle, yeah, apart from that he was anonymous.

I don’t understand our CDs wrt that SF they are regularly presented with two forwards against Hibs and many times before have had problems yet the second goal eg is just a complete fuckup by that pair when it’s something you would easily anticipate and be prepared for .

Riles me

The fact he has played at that level means he is capable of playing at it again. He might need to move to get back to it, but hes obviously capable - unless you are genuinely suggesting a player peaked at 23, which is almost unheard of.

Cant agree at all with your last sentence. Morelos was poor but Nisbet was a non-factor. He never even had a shot on goal. Dont even remember hearing his name mentioned in the 2nd half. Just cause Alfie was pish doesnt mean you need to throw out the hyperbole regarding Nisbet.
Well I mean watching the game it was clear to see that nisbet dominated balogun all game long. It was him that caused the mistake of balogun being to aggressive that played them in for their second goal. And it’s not hyperbole to say that he played better than Alfie cause he did, by quite a bit.

Sure Morelos could get back to that level but as you say it’s been two years. That’s a long time ago and he’s a completely different shape now(for the worse) and player. That Morelos is a long time ago and not one I’m sure we will see at Ibrox again. The motivation is clear to see it’s not their anymore from his play.

Apart from running off Tav and causing him to panic at the first goal, and getting an assist for the second by playing the through ball to Boyle, then knocking down a back post header that should have been a tap in for Boyle, yeah, apart from that he was anonymous.

Yeah all of those things were super important. Moving at a corner and winning a header. Wow. Im incredibly impressed. You think we can afford such a superstar? Fs man.

Well I mean watching the game it was clear to see that nisbet dominated balogun all game long. It was him that caused the mistake of balogun being to aggressive that played them in for their second goal. And it’s not hyperbole to say that he played better than Alfie cause he did, by quite a bit.

Sure Morelos could get back to that level but as you say it’s been two years. That’s a long time ago and he’s a completely different shape now(for the worse) and player. That Morelos is a long time ago and not one I’m sure we will see at Ibrox again. The motivation is clear to see it’s not their anymore from his play.

It is hyperbole, hes a striker that never had shot on goal. Effort seems to be the only thing he had on Sunday.

Take the (understandable) anger out the equation. We were by far the better team. 29% possession 3 shots on goal and 1 was a penalty. Nisbet never had a shot all game. The facts support my argument here. You and others are basing yours on emotion.

I dont know what the future holds for Morelos but if we get him fit and playing on the shoulder of the last man, i think we will see a huge difference. Whether hes up to the challenge or not, remains to be seen.

Personally im willing to wipe the slate clean for everyone, under Gio. Anyone who doesnt want to be here or isnt up to the challenge should be shown the door in January. That includes Morelos

At least Gio can speak to him in Spanish
I was thinking this myself. Wonder if that will help him get his act together. He needs to have it drilled into him his jackets on a shoogly peg. I also got the impression (based on no evidence) that he and Gerrard didn't really get on, despite Gerrard defending him so much. Needs to be back in the box being a number 9, not fannying about in midfield.

It is hyperbole, hes a striker that never had shot on goal. Effort seems to be the only thing he had on Sunday.

Take the (understandable) anger out the equation. We were by far the better team. 29% possession 3 shots on goal and 1 was a penalty. Nisbet never had a shot all game. The facts support my argument here. You and others are basing yours on emotion.

I dont know what the future holds for Morelos but if we get him fit and playing on the shoulder of the last man, i think we will see a huge difference. Whether hes up to the challenge or not, remains to be seen.

Personally im willing to wipe the slate clean for everyone, under Gio. Anyone who doesnt want to be here or isnt up to the challenge should be shown the door in January. That includes Morelos
Aw yeah mate by far the better team who just happened to find themselves 3 nil down at a point before half time :)) we dominated possession in the game because hibs let us, they were 3 nil and then 3-1 up, why would they come out and attack. It was clear to see even when we had all the possession we created %^*& all from it.

Apart from a European game at Ibrox playing with Morelos has been playing with a man down.
he was embarrassI got on Sunday.

none of our strikers go front post or work to create space which shouldn’t take a coach to teach that

I'm not someone who thinks Nisbet is particularly great, but he utterly ripped Balogun to shreds and that was the biggest reason we lost the game.

He absolutely was a factor. Second half they were defending a lead, so both him and Boyle somewhat dropped out of it. But it was Nisbet more than anyone else we didn't deal with at all, even Boyle.

The way I'm feeling right now is I wouldn't waste his breath on Morelos.

I'd much rather a young and hungry striker sign in January. It won't happen but someone like Nisbet

Nisbet is pish, that's the issue. Plus they'd want about £4m for him.

The way I'm feeling right now is I wouldn't waste his breath on Morelos.

I'd much rather a young and hungry striker sign in January. It won't happen but someone like Nisbet

He's got far more ability than Nisbet mate and has dominated some top European defenders previously.

What we need is for Makaay to get that desire and determination out of Alfredo again, as well as developing him to the next level at the same time.

Both Gio and Makaay witnessed first hand how Alfredo destroyed the Feyenoord defence, as they were both in the stadium that night.

I think they'll relish the challenge of trying to get him firing.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it think.

Applicable to any mentallist that thought Kevin Nisbet outclassed anyone on Sunday. The hardon for this wee guy that cant even get in the Scotland team before an Aussie is bizarre. Reminds me of the Cumdog nonsense

Problem is Morelos sees himself in a bigger league. He does not seem to comprehend that by the way he is playing and attitude he is showing teams will lose interest in him. If he knuckled down played well for the rest of the season he would get his move. The way things are going he will go at end of the season but not to a team or league that he really wants.
This should have been sorted out months ago. The columbian manager left him on the bench for most of the copa america then ditched him altogether so either SG couldn't get thru to him or wasn't giving a %^*&.

Applicable to any mentallist that thought Kevin Nisbet outclassed anyone on Sunday. The hardon for this wee guy that cant even get in the Scotland team before an Aussie is bizarre. Reminds me of the Cumdog nonsense
Whether you choose to accept it or not, Nisbet was the best striker on the park on Sunday. He dominated Balogun & Tav and his movement off the ball caused us real problems. He's not the finished article, but he's a very good footballer and as he's Scottish we should be looking at him.
Not getting in the team ahead of Dykes is more about how Scotland play under Clarke than Nisbet's strengths.
He does what SG spent 2 years teaching Alfie to do, drop off the front and link the play, but he then gets into the box, which Alfie doesn't do.
He moves in the box, which Alfie can do but hasn't done for ages.
He's good in the air, which Alfie can be, but he needs the ball to be spot on, Nisbet doesn't.

Whether you choose to accept it or not, Nisbet was the best striker on the park on Sunday. He dominated Balogun & Tav and his movement off the ball caused us real problems. He's not the finished article, but he's a very good footballer and as he's Scottish we should be looking at him.
Not getting in the team ahead of Dykes is more about how Scotland play under Clarke than Nisbet's strengths.
He does what SG spent 2 years teaching Alfie to do, drop off the front and link the play, but he then gets into the box, which Alfie doesn't do.
He moves in the box, which Alfie can do but hasn't done for ages.
He's good in the air, which Alfie can be, but he needs the ball to be spot on, Nisbet doesn't.

Theres clearly a secondary debate going on here that i never intended to start. My original point was about getting Morelos firing again. If we get him back to where he was - which is the hope under a new management team - then hes miles better than Nisbet. If they dont, then its time to look at options.

The issue with Nisbet at that point is - he is too expensive. Hibs arent selling to us on the cheap and Nisbet isnt taking us to the next level. If he was available on the cheap, or free, id have no problem taking a shot on him though.

Final point on this - i never said Nisbet wasnt better than Morelos on Sunday, (Im happy to agree he was). I said he never "outclassed" him. He was better than Morelos, by virtue of Morelos playing utterly rotten and barely moving, not because Nisbet had an outstanding game. His only contribution of note was a pass that Tav should have played offside.

Prime Defoe or Prime Makaay?

Makaay did it all over Europe and the Champions League but Defoe in arguably the hardest league in the world?

I’m on the fence

What you say about Morelos is how I see it but then Im accused of being a Morelos hater.

Im interested to know if he really was asked to go by Gerrard. Remember he's got a contract as a player so he'd have to be transferred. Im not sure.
He could retire as a player and move without his playing registration being transferred. That would just be like any other coach.

Prime Defoe or Prime Makaay?

Makaay did it all over Europe and the Champions League but Defoe in arguably the hardest league in the world?

I’m on the fence
Makaay by miles, mate.

JD was a good player, but never top tier, or even the second tier.

Alfie will get a boost from this new approach. GVB is apparently fluent in Spanish so he might get better out of Alfie.

This rhetoric on here Alfie has been shite for over a year is simply not true. This season he has been very patchy. But so has the whole team. Think Alfie will kick in now.

Whatever was wrong this season we will hopefully see that sorted.

Alfie will get a boost from this new approach. GVB is apparently fluent in Spanish so he might get better out of Alfie.

This rhetoric on here Alfie has been shite for over a year is simply not true. This season he has been very patchy. But so has the whole team. Think Alfie will kick in now.

Whatever was wrong this season we will hopefully see that sorted.
Hitting nightclubs through the week is one thing wrong, he lacks professionalism and is out of shape. Not being at his peak conditioning has crashed his form and he's become lazy.

It's obvious Gerrards method of just letting Alfie be Alfie and act the lady's front bottom in the hope he'll return to form doesn't work and has caused his form and value to absolutely crash. Hopefully Makaay and Gio have a different approach because fit and on form Alfie is an absolutely fantastic player.

Last edited:
At least Gio can speak to him in Spanish
Roy MaKaay spent 6 years playing in the Spanish league with Tenerife and Deportivo La Coruna so he might be able to speak Spanish as well. I spent a year working in a shipyard in Coruna and there were not many people who spoke English so he would have had to pick up at least a smattering of Spanish. Our company sent us for lessons just so we could communicate at work and go out in the town.

he can be thanked for his services and moved on unless he is doing his badges here.

that goal against Livingston will also be a world class memory.
He is a class act.

The goal against Livingston was an amazing finish.

Managed to get a goal against Celtic to add to his collection.

Also, managed to win the first medal of his career.

Back