Joe Rothwell to Rangers transfer ‘almost certain’ with Blackburn Rovers convinced star close to January deal

What parts? Is there an interview? Genuinely interested.
I spent a half-hour reading match reports etc on the guy this afternoon. He has worked on protecting his defence, being more aggressive off the ball and generally upping his work rate. He was already skilled on the ball with the ability to dribble past players to launch attacks. This has let him influence games much more and he has been their main man this season so far.

His Manager (Mowbray) is a huge fan and they are/were desperate for him to sign a new contract.

Nothing to do with the player himself but when the club regularly talks about having a player trading model these kind of signings don't feel like they do anything for it. Rothwell would be 27 if he was signed, no club is spending meaningful money on someone his age playing at Rangers. Our recruitment as a whole seems entirely focused on players in their mid 20's which isn't what most clubs outside the leagues with a surplus of cash make their money on from players.

13 apps this season, 1 goal, 4 assists
Decent stats that albeit I've no idea of the real standard of the league he's in.
Truth be told I don't watch a lot of English football these days, but our coaches definitely seem to be able to take players up a level if they are willing to put the work in.

Nit picking to avoid the point of the post.

Not really. You specifically mentioned that fans think that a midfielder we signed from Charlton isnt good enough for where we want to be.

Joe Aribo.

He isnt good enough played as a pure midfielder for where we want to be. You hinted at him. Either he is or he isnt. It's not nit picking. You either think he's good enough as a midfielder or you don't.

It's clear that midfield isnt his best position.

Usually against English lower league signings but think this guy looks decent. Seems fairly strong, pacy and dynamic which we lack at the moment in midfield. The fact that he was close to joining Brentford as well is encouraging as their signing policy is well thought of.

With Arfield not getting any younger and Lundstram playing better as a no. 6, seems like he could be a good option for the right of the midfield 3.
Someone talking sense.
It will never catch on…..

• Haha
Reactions: fmp
Because its been 3 windows since we paid decent money for anyone, so ‘more of the same’ signings that are

A) Not better, or not even as good, as the players have
OR
B) Young with lots of potential to improve and eventually sell on

Doubt many would be too fussed about Rothwell if we had improved but Simpson, Wright, Ofoborh, Lundstram, Sakala & Bacuna are our most recent 6 signings.

Where would you suggest the money comes from to buy players?

Ofoborh would be a player we would be looking at improving and selling but obviously has a health issue.

There’s relatively no risk signing rothwell

I work for a championship club and have seen a lot of him, nothing like Kevin Thomson
5 mins of YouTube video is enough to confirm that mate.

Believe me, I'm no advocate of YouTube videos being used to confirm , or otherwise, a players' ability, but there are limits.

I work for a championship club and have seen a lot of him, nothing like Kevin Thomson
Just because you work in finance for Bournemouth doesn't mean you'll have seen much of Rothwell.

Is it your job to watch football games? And how many times have you seen him live?

FWIW - I live within a mile of Ewood Park (can literally hear the crowd on a match day from my garden), and saw him live as recently as Saturday.

I stick by my Kevin Thomson assessment, albeit there are obvious differences. He's not a clone!

We’ve now got to the point were aribo is now getting it in the neck in a thread not even about him, this place after a defeat is genuinely mental after a defeat. Aribo was one of our key players last season and probably been one of our better players this season.

He’s been a great signing. He’s not a midfielder who’s going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck but he’s proven over time that he has good end product.

Just because you work in finance for Bournemouth doesn't mean you'll have seen much of Rothwell.

Is it your job to watch football games? And how many times have you seen him live?

FWIW - I live within a mile of Ewood Park (can literally hear the crowd on a match day from my garden), and saw him live as recently as Saturday.

I stick by my Kevin Thomson assessment, albeit there are obvious differences. He's not a clone!
I would say Thomson was a bit of an enforcer (not in a derogatory way), with huge energy levels and he was neat in possession. Is this fella a ball winner? His YT video makes him look more of a box to box and very skilful.

We’ve now got to the point were aribo is now getting it in the neck in a thread not even about him, this place after a defeat is genuinely mental after a defeat. Aribo was one of our key players last season and probably been one of our better players this season.

He’s been a great signing. He’s not a midfielder who’s going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck but he’s proven over time that he has good end product.
Wisnae even a good defeat.

I would say Thomson was a bit of an enforcer (not in a derogatory way), with huge energy levels and he was neat in possession. Is this fella a ball winner? His YT video makes him look more of a box to box and very skilful.

This is what I said earlier in the thread.

It's me that has said that, having watched him live as recently as Saturday. He plays a bit further forward than KT normally did for us, however there are a lot of similarities. He's all action, very tenacious, will put a challenge in willingly and certainly won't shirk a physical battle.

He's not a superb passer of the ball, he isn't someone who will dictate play, and he most certainly isn't the creative spark we clearly need.

According to a stat posted earlier, he dribbles well. I can't say that is something that particularly stood out to me.

Yes it’s literally my job to watch football games, wasn’t Kevin Thomson a deep lying ball winner?

Do you rate him? Do you think he would do a job for us? Do you think he can improve further? Is the police guy still alive at the end of Squid Game??
Do I rate him yes and he will do a job, I’d be disappointed if he was our main midfield signing though, As for the police guy he’s alive mate haha

• Haha
Aribo is an extremely mediocre player. He’s failed to maintain any level of consistency during his time here and regularly is ineffective in games.

If he’s so good why are there no EPL clubs after him?

Seems teams in the Premiership share my views on Patterson given the bids we received in the summer. Not sure how many bids we've had for our captain?

bekphnqftcb41.jpg

Yes it’s literally my job to watch football games, wasn’t Kevin Thomson a deep lying ball winner?
What would you say about Joe Rothwell mate ? His skills and qualities ? And previously I’ve seen us closely linked to Jed Wallace of Millwall who I’d understood might be similar to JR , is that fair and if so which of the two would you favour IF we had the choice . Thanks .

Edit : thought it was useful to add this link to his stats for this season thr one that jumps out to me is the assists v expected assists

Last edited:
Do I rate him yes and he will do a job, I’d be disappointed if he was our main midfield signing though, As for the police guy he’s alive mate haha
Top man, thanks for the insight. Are there any other players in the Championship you would be happier about us signing?

Top man, thanks for the insight. Are there any other players in the Championship you would be happier about us signing?
There’s plenty good players in the championship mate especially for teams like us, the names people already mention like swift from reading and grimes at Swansea, but with wage demands etc you might get better value in the likes of Denmark/Sweden but maybe more of a risk

What would you say about Joe Rothwell mate ? His skills and qualities ? And previously I’ve seen us closely linked to Jed Wallace of Millwall who I’d understood might be similar to JR , is that fair and if so which of the two would you favour IF we had the choice . Thanks .
I’m the few games I’ve seen of rothwell he’s full of energy good runner with and without the ball, like arfield but more aware of his centre mid duties. Jed Wallace is a good player think he would be a very reliable squad player for us and a good signing if wages weren’t too high

I’m the few games I’ve seen of rothwell he’s full of energy good runner with and without the ball, like arfield but more aware of his centre mid duties. Jed Wallace is a good player think he would be a very reliable squad player for us and a good signing if wages weren’t too high
From what I’ve seen of Jed Wallace I like him quite a lot I wondered if he would be the guy to come in as the right MF player mate .
Not sure I would see the same team sign both of these players

They do, but usually based on something, not just so they can hear the sound of their own voice.
If you like your own voice then fair enough. Others put their point forward and don't care about the idiots who try and brow beat them, or better yet - they care little for the idiots that can't think for themselves and just follow the idiot before them.

He'd get crippled for fun up here. If he signs, I just hope all parties have good insurance.
Watching the clips of him he has great feet and carries the ball well.
Maybe a wee bit like Russell Lapaty in his day.
I do agree though, he would get nailed in an SPFL midfield battle and would never be given the freedom to go past players like that.
Looks like an entertaining footballer, however, the clips don't show a lot of final product.

Both Rothwell and Wallace are good players and would play different positions. I’d be happy to see both sign. Wallace would shine for us and our style. Rothwell would fit right in, he has that bit about him that you need at Rangers.

Just watched the last 30 minutes of QPR v Blackburn. Have never seen Rothwell play before and he was already on as a sub when I started watching the game. He was playing in defensive central midfield role and was hardly venturing over the half way line. QPR were playing with loads of width and Rothwell hardly touched the ball in the first ten minutes I watched. Blackburn were absolutely crap and QPR were all over them.

Rothwell then seemed to push forward a bit and created 2 chances and had a strike from outside the box well saved by the keeper.

In the 30 minutes or so I watched he was certainly the most creative player in a woeful Blackburn side.

Both Rothwell and Wallace are good players and would play different positions. I’d be happy to see both sign. Wallace would shine for us and our style. Rothwell would fit right in, he has that bit about him that you need at Rangers.
Which roles would you see those players starting in mate ?

Rothwell no8 on the right and right in front play Wallace as no10 also on the right ?

Which roles would you see those players starting in mate ?

Rothwell no8 on the right and right in front play Wallace as no10 also on the right ?
I’d like to see what Wallace is made of when given a bit of a free number 10 type role plus he can play left or right really. Rothwell is a tough one, he seems to have such a perfect attitude to work at and develop many styles. It does seem though Beale and Gerrard like having CM that can do everything, Rothwell is that type of guy. He’ll run box to box but he’ll also be tactical and smart. Hard to really put definite position down with this Rangers system as players like Aribo etc can be used out of their best positions in a midfield structure. Rothwell won’t have an out of position, he’ll own most positions asked to play, IMO. Though, I’m not ever an expert and we could sign both and they both end up balls for us or have the hatchet men cripple them which is very likely up here on a wet winters evening.

Nothing to do with the player himself but when the club regularly talks about having a player trading model these kind of signings don't feel like they do anything for it. Rothwell would be 27 if he was signed, no club is spending meaningful money on someone his age playing at Rangers. Our recruitment as a whole seems entirely focused on players in their mid 20's which isn't what most clubs outside the leagues with a surplus of cash make their money on from players.
everyone we sign can't be looked at as a sell on signing. we have to buy players who'l do the job. regardless of worth in contract. SG and staff know far more about this lad than any on here do. i'l trust their judgement for sure.

Wonder why they never started him tonight eh could it be linked to the story that broke re him moving in January

Folk moaning about another midfielder being brought in…

Kamara is likely to be sold

Jack isn’t guaranteed to come back injury free

Davis best days are behind him

Arfield won’t be far behind Davis

Hagi another likely to be sold

So is Aribo

Lundstram most of the support wanted him binned a month ago

Bacuna? An unknown quantity just now.

We’re skint. If we have to resort to these cross border deals with a bit of hit & hope about them being a success, well that’s the reality of blowing it against Malmo.

Back