John Fleck v Arsenal

You know I was thinking about this as I was watching the game, and I disagree with your last sentence entirely. It’s not that he’s underrated, nor that he isn’t shining this season, the truth is Scotland couldn’t use the luxury the wee man is. He is a lovely footballer, and is great in the last third, but he is too slow and doesn’t exhaust himself running around like a headless chicken, which is what Scotland need to be difficult to beat. Not Fleck’s fault, but I believe Scotland would be less effective with him instead of McGregor. Frankly, only our extreme bias on here, and his family connection stops all of us on FF from admitting what a good player McGinn is, and clearly was at Hibs too.
Sheff utd have luxury players? Are you sure you watched them

And to think the mhedia up here still label mcginn as a 30 million pound player, if that's the case how much would fleck be worth?

It was a great finish. It’s great to see him doing well down there. Sheff Utd are having a great season.

Excellent for John, finally playing at the level he should be. He doesn’t look out of place either, I wonder if he’ll start attracting the attention of some of the more established PL clubs if he keeps these performances up.

Good for him. Seems to have found a spot in the heart of midfield he’s excelling at instead of the more attacking role he has in his limited chances for us. Must be in with a shout for the Scotland side with the injuries to McTominnay and McGinn.

Would love to seem him back one day in a similar way to Davis.

Does anyone know how he regards us now? Is there still a soft spot or is he still raw over how his career went up here?

He was excellent against Arsenal last night, his awareness, touch and strength came together well to really dominate when he was on the ball

He's having a great season and has done very well for himself. Sheffield Utd themselves are doing fantastic as a newly promoted team.

Good on the lad , he knuckled down and worked hard for what he's got down south when it did look earlier in his career that he close to throwing it away

Terrific form at the moment and must be a certainty for the scotland squad for the playoffs. Interesting that the absolute wankfest over McGinn isn't replicated for Fleck. I'm sure that's nothing to do with his previous clubs.

Fleck has looked excellent all season. Very mature and disciplined. Should be a definate starter for Scotland.

Just watched it there, fantastic technique to drill it into the ground the way he did. He has certainly worked hard for the recognition he is now receiving.

He was in Silver drinking wkds every Thursday with Adam. He had his chance and blew it

Are you sure. I seen him out a few times when at Rangers and he never drank. Always seemed very quite and sensible while the other lads including McGregor were boozing and firing in to the ladies that would go to chat.

We fans often overlook how difficult it often is for young players to make the grade at Rangers. This is down to the demands and expectations that often go with being Rangers in that the club is almost expected to 'win every trophy', even 'win every game', where the other smaller clubs regard playing against you as their 'cup final'. The pressure is unrelenting. But Fleck might well have been one of the exceptions. In his first start for Rangers against Falkirk in January 2009, he earned the man of the match award for his performance, and began to be spoken of as 'Scotland's Wayne Rooney'.

Unfortunately Fleck's early career at Rangers was blighted by controversy when he was benched after a bust-up with then asst. manager McCoist, a serious hamstring injury further compromised his development at the club. and with the craziness that followed the Charles Green takeover, Fleck decided his future lay elsewhere, refused to sign a new contract and bailed out. joining Coventry City in 2012.

Away from the Glasgow fishbowl, he was able to gradually hone his skills and was voted Coventry's POTY in season 2015-16. With his subsequent move to Sheffield Utd. in 2016, we began to see the full flowering of Fleck's talent, becoming the kind of player we all hoped he would be - if only it had been in a Rangers shirt!
Great post, away from the pressure he has developed into a decent player, it’s not like he was at Ibrox 5 minutes ago. The lad has obviously put a lot of work in to get him to this level fair Play as many other who have had talent and potential have pissed it all away.

Surely he must be a stick on for the Scotland squad from now on. How he’s only got 2 caps up until now is beyond me, he’s been playing at a high level for the last few seasons.

Surely he must be a stick on for the Scotland squad from now on. How he’s only got 2 caps up until now is beyond me, he’s been playing at a high level for the last few seasons.

With McTominey and Mcginn out you'd assume him and Jack would start the Israel game.

Been excellent for the blades, along with Lundstrom & Norwood in midfield.
Mate who is cov fan, absolutely loves him as well, was superb in more attacking role in a decent cov side.

Have to say he's surprised me, always knew he was a good player but he's been really consistent at EPL level now. Just a pity we had a strong midfield when he was breaking through.

Not been a straight road for him but he’s ended up at the level many thought whenever he broke through. Wonder if there’s a big transfer left for him yet

Getting out of Glasgow is what saved fleck’s career. He was stagnating and was out too often at night.

Delighted for him, always good to see one of our own do well

Been impressed by Fleck he is starting to look like the player he showed at Rangers

.As for Arsenal they are a bunch of faking Bastards how many times are they going to fake contact to gain free kicks & or penalties the blatant dive in the box should have resulted in a card ditto the fake contact with the lady's front bottom holding his face falling to the deck rolling about no wonder The EPL is the worst officiated league imo for cheating bastards.

Made a career for himself down in Wngland. Fair play

He took his goal well. I always laugh though when a player slides to their knees and gets caught in the grass though.

I don't remember much uproar when we let him go, he spent more time in the pubs in clubs than on the pitch when he was here

When he was let go there were a lot shrugged shoulders. Boys done well for himself. Good luck to him.

Getting out of Glasgow is what saved fleck’s career. He was stagnating and was out too often at night.

Delighted for him, always good to see one of our own do well

I can’t comment on his off field activities but he definitely stagnated on the pitch. I remember when he broke through I thought he was going to be something special. He never really progressed at Rangers but it’s great to see him do well now.

Back