Kemar Roofe

I agree. Roofe has not done enough in his spell here to convince me. Alfie ahead of him by a country mile. He was the same at Leeds, came with decent promise - a few moments of magic and then faded. I know loads of Leeds fans that just don’t rate him. I couldn’t care less if we punted him in the summer.
He’s scored 14 in 32 been vital at certain points of the season also.

Roofe put the ball as far away from our goal as possible. 3 other players were more culpable if you are looking to apportion blame.

The bottom line is that we are still unbeaten having come through a torrid start to the game.

I’m not blaming for their goal, that’s ridiculous.

The ball travelled 100 yards and we conceded a penalty.

It’s not comparable with when Arfield tried to play someone in v Benfica, we lost possession and they raced up the other end and scored.

Well, he's right. I'd love to see Gerrard's reaction if a reporter accused his players last night of lacking professionalism, ffs. One player made a poor decision and we got punished for it. On another night — like in Liege — it might have gone in.

For a guy who often goes out his way to dig up other posters, while taking the high ground as a bastion of common sense, you appear to be taking last night's draw inordinately hard.
Firstly, I don’t do digging up in any way.
I’ll challenge opinion but mine usually,
isn’t any more valid than anybody else’s.
Also, you’ve got the wrong guy with your common sense line.
I don’t believe in common sense, I don’t believe it exists.
On the bigger point, Gerrard has a different priority from I.
Of course he’s going to stick up for his player.
I’ll bet you also though, he’d be asking him wtf.
My view is that Roofe wanted to look clever for himself.
If he was out on his feet and just wanted to get the ball upfield, he’d had aimed at the corner flag.
That, I don’t think is correct.
Tell me, had a defender not bothered with a challenge, if they’d pulled out of it, if it had been one of Tavernier’s poor distribution passes, and they’d scored, would everybody be so blasé?
Doubt it.

Last edited:
I’m not blaming for their goal, that’s ridiculous.

The ball travelled 100 yards and we conceded a penalty.

It’s not comparable with when Arfield tried to play someone in v Benfica, we lost possession and they raced up the other end and scored.
Eh?

Common sense for players in the dying seconds of a game to hang onto the ball and run the clock down. He gave the ball right to them allowing them another chance to get the ball up our end of the park and it cost us. That doesn’t mean others couldn’t have done better too of course, but ultimately it stems from his decision to go for the Hollywood goal instead of doing the sensible thing and retaining possession.

Is it so wrong to expect and demand professionalism?
I can only answer for myself here but all that posters are saying about it not being important, the league is over, are correct.
Had St. Johnstone’s goal come from good play by them, like when they carved us open early on, I wouldn’t have any complaints.
My issue is that we weren’t professional.
In my early days, I was always taught that there is a big difference between doing the correct thing badly and doing the wrong thing.

Players making mistakes not being professional? Seriously? I tend to think anyone not professional at the club was kicked out by SG along the way.

The guy made a mistake, he didn't drive through the gates of Auchenhowie in a stolen car after a night at a rave..........

Players making mistakes not being professional? Seriously? I tend to think anyone not professional at the club was kicked out by SG along the way.

The guy made a mistake, he didn't drive through the gates of Auchenhowie in a stolen car after a night at a rave..........
That’s the natural progression though :))

Excellent patter lol, hang on, is that a hair on my screen, f8ck why won't it wipe off?!
:rolleyes:
lol, my rage has actually subsided after this thread's nonsense so I'll away to watch the telly. Get it round ye. B-)
Screen_Shot_2019-03-22_at_5.33.23_PM.jpg

It’s not that he made a mistake.
It is what he was thinking that has irked me.
To my mind, it was all about him and not the club.
If it were just to waste time, he’d have went for the corner flag.
As I asked earlier, would Tavernier be afforded the same latitude?

He was in good(not great) form which suggests there is a player there , problem is he can’t put a continuous run together , we deserve more for £4.5m.
I’d agree. Often anonymous in matches that he doesn’t score in, other than workrate.

He thought it was the last kick of the ball and decided to have a pop at goal. If you disagree with him doing that, you also disagree with his goal against Liege. The different outcomes are irrelevant because it's a matter of intention.

People are taking issue with your use of "unprofessional". Turning up late to training is unprofessional; drinking the night before a game is unprofessional. At worse, Roofe is guilty of poor decision-making, which is another thing entirely.

The Tavernier point isn't relevant as that would be a matter of commitment. Not sure where you're going with that one.

He thought it was the last kick of the ball and decided to have a pop at goal. If you disagree with him doing that, you also disagree with his goal against Liege. The different outcomes are irrelevant because it's a matter of intention.

People are taking issue with your use of "unprofessional". Turning up late to training is unprofessional; drinking the night before a game is unprofessional. At worse, Roofe is guilty of poor decision-making, which is another thing entirely.

The Tavernier point isn't relevant as that would be a matter of commitment. Not sure where you're going with that one.
First paragraph, you’re correct and I did say that at the time.
Third paragraph, I’m surprised it’s so difficult to understand and I don’t get the “matter of commitment” line at all.
Not too important though.
Main point, we could be batting this one between us for a while so, I’m quite prepared to agree to differ.

From me Tav would get a lot more latitude than KR as he's deserved it.

He was very important earlier in the sesson, especially when Alfie wasnt firing on all cylinders. Since his return from injury he has been appalling. Given the outlay and what we can expect in terms of future injuries, I would say that there's a question mark hanging over him this summer. If we're willing to accept a player is going to miss 1/3 of a season through constant niggling injuries then quite simply he has to be at it when he's available. Roofe in 2021 has been nowhere near good enough

Apart from the wonder goal in Europe I can't really think of anything great and would rate him as "meh" at best, as some have said he has been injured so maybe that is it. But if Alfie leaves in the summer, does anyone see him as being the guy to step in. With the penalty it is just a game of luck, how you run up doesn't change much. But I do feel Roofe can do so much more than what he has done, but again maybe that is down to the injury and being 2nd choice doesn't get you a decent run out in the team to improve and do your stuff.

Season of two half’s. Scored some vital goals and looked a good acquisition in the first half of the season, offered us practically nothing since his injury.

Decision making is awful.

If Alfie goes in summer I’m not confident on Roofe being the number 1 at all

Not just a knee jerk reaction to tonight. I have thought this for a long time.
Kemar Roofe is not the man to replace Morelos when he finally leaves.

never, never. Flatters to deceive too many times.
People wrote off Borna after 1 season and look how he proved people wrong.

I am disappointed with roofe too as he seems far too injury prone and his form since December has been extremely poor but think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for next season

If we could get the same money we paid for him in the summer from some championship team i'd bite their hand off, he's far too injury prone and then when he returns hes useless until he has 10 games under his belt to get up to speed

When he had a run of games in the first half of the season he looked a good player although I agree he is not a Morelos replacement

Problem is he never stays fit

Back