Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

Let's hope Ross Wilson has a firmer grip of how markets work than the Martin Bains on here.
"He only cost £50k so we must factor that into our valuation" is not how it works.
Martin bain was a diddy, but the worst buying and selling in the clubs history has been the past 7 years.
Mccoist, warburton and pedro.
Plus we still have the odd one like grezda who will possibly cost the club 5 million.
Our biggest fee was hutton- who was in charge

Who's done next to nothing at a high level. Charlton would've been looking for 10 at least if he was still under contract in the summer. Personally I think a guy that's a good bit ahead if him in terms of development is worth the same at the very least.
Again, when his ceiling is higher that doesn't matter. These teams are paying for potential, they aren't expecting the finished product. If they were, they'd be buying Ryan Jack or Steven Davis.

I like Doc but he's so far out the picture I think we'll struggle to get our money back on him at this rate never mind hit seven figures

Maybe a low fee + a higher sell on percentage for him ?

We should have tried to loan him to the championship this season. He was one of the best midfielders in league 1 last season. If he had a good season in the championship we could have got a decent fee for him. A total waste having him sitting in the stand.

Last edited:
Again, when his ceiling is higher that doesn't matter. These teams are paying for potential, they aren't expecting the finished product. If they were, they'd be buying Ryan Jack or Steven Davis.
We play it right we'll get the 10 million and sell on clause.

Is he a better player than he was this time last season? Hard to argue he isn't.So that's evidence that he'll keep on improving as he already is.
He is better no doubt- this past 6 weeks or so.
I have never bad mouthed the player, but plenty on this late last season and august/ sept did.
Its likely a lot of crap anyway.

If we can get £8m for a player who joined us for £50k only twelve months ago, then that is fantastic business.

Kamara is great, and he'll go on to be a brilliant footballer, but he's not irreplaceable and this is exactly what the transfer model is supposed to do.

so Kamara is great and will go on to be a brilliant footballer but we’ll sell for £7m.
Are you Martin Bain?

We only get to sell them once, they are cash rich down south and regardless of what we paid for him £7m is no where near his value.

The idea we should ask for 15 million for Kamara is moon howling nonsense.

It isn't inconceivable we could play a game tomorrow and he could start it from the bench.

sell Kamara for 8M your f uckin nuts, no way he goes at that price, hes worth much more, im amazed you cant see it

I'd be shocked if there's any truth in this unless they get promoted.

Had to sell Pontus Jaanson and Kemar Roofe due to money.

Largely bought in loans.

We will receive bids for our assets and if they are high enough they will be accepted.

Given the backroom staff and investment in recruitment and strategy I'd like to think we have a ready made replacement for each department.

If we recieve a bid in the region of 8m for Kamara he will likely be sold, and rightly so.
Gerrard should be given a decent % of that to replace him, or, we look at who is waiting in the wings and judge if the replacements there.

Look at the 11m of losses, 1 player we got for 50k almost wipes that out himself, then you have Alfie who does 3 times over, Tav, Barasic, Kent...

This is a good thing for us.

Our underlying position isn’t as bad as 11m RB.

Roughly 3m in there for non payable interest & 4m for legal fees.

So an 8m sale every 2 YEARS may cover us going forward ?

And given we could make the next stage of the EL this season that’s a few million extra ?

so Kamara is great and will go on to be a brilliant footballer but we’ll sell for £7m.
Are you Martin Bain?

We only get to sell them once, they are cash rich down south and regardless of what we paid for him £7m is no where near his value.
*£8m.

English football clubs have a lot of cash, but most of them aren't stupid. If we price Leeds out of it, they'll just turn their attentions somewhere else.

Our underlying position isn’t as bad as 11m RB.

Roughly 3m in there for non payable interest & 4m for legal fees.

So an 8m sale every 2 YEARS may cover us going forward ?

And given we could make the next stage of the EL this season that’s a few million extra ?
I was only going on the bottom line figure mate - that obviously broken down isn't the real position.
Was more for the lurkers than those with intellect such as yourself :))
Legal fees with the fat rat, renovations and upgrades that won't need to take place every year, there's other stuff in there too like paying players off we couldn't offload (we are hoping that is cut to an absolute minimum going forward).
8m every 2 year with European football would more than cover us.

I was only going on the bottom line figure mate - that obviously broken down isn't the real position.
Was more for the lurkers than those with intellect such as yourself :))
Legal fees with the fat rat, renovations and upgrades that won't need to take place every year, there's other stuff in there too like paying players off we couldn't offload (we are hoping that is cut to an absolute minimum going forward).
8m every 2 year with European football would more than cover us.

Funny :D:D

Yes, as you say, we’ve really got ourselves in a much better position off of the park as well as on it.

If we can only get Ashley out of our lives things will be great ;)

If we need the money in then fair enough people at the club will do what they believe is right but i think hes a terrific player and that fee sounds quite low. Easy for me to say right enough when i dont know all the details(you dont want a pissed off player that was desperate to go) but id guess Leeds would be delighted to get Kamara for under £10m.

Just because the English clubs have a lot of money, that doesn't mean they're stupid enough to pay over the odds when they don't have to.

That’s true Buff but likewise if you’re paying maybe 25/30m on a player on average it’s easier to go from 8m to 10m ?

Martin bain was a diddy, but the worst buying and selling in the clubs history has been the past 7 years.
Mccoist, warburton and pedro.
Plus we still have the odd one like grezda who will possibly cost the club 5 million.
Our biggest fee was hutton- who was in charge
So, Bain wasn't really that bad?
I thought you were in Pakistan or Iraq or Somalia or somewhere else they haven't heard of you, Martin?

That’s true Buff but likewise if you’re paying maybe 25/30m on a player on average it’s easier to go from 8m to 10m ?
Sure, but they're not going to do it if they don't have to.

If we say to Leeds "make it 10m and you have a deal" and Leeds say no, what leverage have we got?

Until another club becomes interested, we've zero leverage whatsoever. We might be able to squeeze a couple of hundred grand out them just to expedite the process.

£2m is a lot of money to win when your opponent knows you've a shite hand.

If we say to Leeds "make it 10m and you have a deal" and Leeds say no, what leverage have we got?

Until another club becomes interested, we've zero leverage whatsoever. We might be able to squeeze a couple of hundred grand out them just to expedite the process.

Absolutely accept that but isn’t there a strong rumour that Palace & Brighton are interested too mate ? I thought I read that.

Reading through the thread, a lot of decent points are made. But for me, this boils down to three things.

1. English clubs treat our league as though it is the League of Ireland and expect to bully the clubs within it. Hibs should've made Villa pay at least double what they sold John McGinn for because he'll go for at least triple that amount as a bare minimum when he moves on. People like Alan Smith and Davie Provan will see to that.

2. Do we need to sell? I would say the answer to that is, yes. Leeds no doubt have seen our financial results and have decided to try it on with a relatively lowball offer. Do the management think that his loss can be cushioned by the rest of the squad or another player being brought in at a fraction of the fee? That remains to be seen.

3. Can a significant uplift in fee be realised if we hold our nerve and his value continues to rise into next season? Would he command a similar fee if he were to move to a league other than the EPL or English Championship?

Essentially, if an English club comes calling for our players the price goes up accordingly. Doesn't matter whether it's January or the summer. If it has to be January, a premium must be exacted if you ask me.

No one has confirmed that though. Only club we know are definitely interested in him are Leeds.

If other clubs are interested then you've a chance, but it's not a given.

Agree mate.

Gerrard made a comment last week about the clubs represented in our Directors Box in recent weeks. I’ve maybe wrongly linked the two.

Agree mate.

Gerrard made a comment last week about the clubs represented in our Directors Box in recent weeks. I’ve maybe wrongly linked the two.
Tbh I'd rather we negotiated a 15 - 20% sell on clause rather than an extra £2m.

The real money to be made from Kamara will be the transfer after this one, when he's picked up by a stable EPL club.

There have been a few clubs watching him when he's been playing for Finland too tbf so I'd not be surprised to see 2 or 3 clubs at least ask the question. At least I thought I read that?
If Leeds, any other club, say no to our demands we either negotiate or say okay see ya and we get to keep a guy who is happy at Rangers and we are happy with.

Reading through the thread, a lot of decent points are made. But for me, this boils down to three things.

1. English clubs treat our league as though it is the League of Ireland and expect to bully the clubs within it. Hibs should've made Villa pay at least double what they sold John McGinn for because he'll go for at least triple that amount as a bare minimum when he moves on. People like Alan Smith and Davie Provan will see to that.

2. Do we need to sell? I would say the answer to that is, yes. Leeds no doubt have seen our financial results and have decided to try it on with a relatively lowball offer. Do the management think that his loss can be cushioned by the rest of the squad or another player being brought in at a fraction of the fee? That remains to be seen.

3. Can a significant uplift in fee be realised if we hold our nerve and his value continues to rise into next season? Would he command a similar fee if he were to move to a league other than the EPL or English Championship?

Essentially, if an English club comes calling for our players the price goes up accordingly. Doesn't matter whether it's January or the summer. If it has to be January, a premium must be exacted if you ask me.

Good post TC.

I do think number 1 is changing due to the success of such as McGinn/Van Dirk/Robertson so there is maybe a bit more faith in players from Scotland.

Couple that with us & them in Europe this season & maybe this is changing for the better compared to the last 10/15 years ?

There have been a few clubs watching him when he's been playing for Finland too tbf so I'd not be surprised to see 2 or 3 clubs at least ask the question. At least I thought I read that?
If Leeds, any other club, say no to our demands we either negotiate or say okay see ya and we get to keep a guy who is happy at Rangers and we are happy with.
Is Kamara going to remain happy if we turn down a reasonable offer for him that would allow him to at least triple his wages?

I doubt it tbh.

That is a questionable statement at best.... :))
Good post TC.

I do think number 1 is changing due to the success of such as McGinn/Van Dirk/Robertson so there is maybe a bit more faith in players from Scotland.

Couple that with us & them in Europe this season & maybe this is changing for the better compared to the last 10/15 years ?

I beg to differ Grigo/rfc4me,

McGinn went for a pittance. Van Dijk was daylight f**kin' robbery (cheers Ross!). Robertson, of the three, probably went for closer to his true worth at the time to Hull, although on the low side I would say. Rangers or Celtic could be perennial CL knock-out stages participants and English clubs would still come looking for and expecting to land 'bargains'. It's always been the case, it's just worse now than ever.

It seems inflation only applies to one league system when it suits them.

McGinn went for a pittance. Van Dijk was daylight f**kin' robbery (cheers Ross!). Robertson, of the three, probably went for closer to his true worth at the time to Hull, although on the low side I would say. Rangers or Celtic could be perennial CL knock-out stages participants and English clubs would still come looking for and expecting to land 'bargains'. It's always been the case, it's just worse now than ever.

That last part makes little sense..... Scotland is a league where you get about 2.5 million for winning the league, the idea clubs in Scotland would ever be able to sell at the same value as clubs in England do is ridiculous...there will quite patently be a disparity in the value at which clubs can sell based on potential turnover and revenue.

Hibs yearly turnover is around about 9 million - the most they are likely to make from prize money is a season is about 1.8 million at best, they are never likely to make Europe - 3 million was outstanding income and business for them for a player who was starting to wind down his contract

Celtic made 13 million for Van Dijk - that is hardly a League of Ireland fee.

The additions made from Scotland over the years such as Ferguson, Hutton, Boumsong, Wanyama, Hooper, Forster, Tierney.....have never at any stage during their departure been bargains or close to League of Ireland fees or bargains, they have been hefty and excessive fees even for English sides.

If this transfer went through it would be outrageous business and a clear exploitation of the English market rather than us having our pants taken down, it would be money that would be helping secure us for years....

Last edited:
Is Kamara going to remain happy if we turn down a reasonable offer for him that would allow him to at least triple his wages?

I doubt it tbh.
I don't think it's fair to assume anything either way only Kamara knows what he wants to do and where he wants to be.
He is on record saying his improvements and form are down to Gerrard and he is happy at the club.
I don't know him personally but he would've been on buttons at Dundee, will be on a good wedge more, he just doesn't seem the money driven type.

To think after a hopefully very successful season we could potentially get almost 40 million for two players in the summer is quite an incredible transformation over just two seasons.

We could do a lot with that kind of money imo.

There's always going to be an upper ceiling to what SPFL players will fetch simply because the level of competition is so comparatively poor.

Nobody outside of Scotland really cares about the number of goals you're scoring against Livingston and Ross County.

By contrast the English Championship is a significantly more competitive league, ergo the top players will naturally go for bigger fees than in Scotland because when EPL sides come calling they believe those players have proved it at a higher level, which I think is fair.

However, if Rangers and Celtic players have been playing and impressing regularly in Europe then that should be factored into the pricetag because that is a level above the English Championship.

Both Morelos and Kamara have been doing just that so it's understandable their prices will have risen considerably and no one should expect to get them on the cheap just because the SPFL isn't rated as a competition.

My point was that GIVEN HOW WELL THEY ARE DOING that future fees could see a benefit TC, not that those specific fees were good.

Two of them are in the CL holders & the other is getting great reviews so maybe English clubs will now ( eg Arsenal for some reason on Tierney ) look more favourably at fee sizes to
Scotland now.

Back