Liverpool chiefs Jurgen Klopp doubts increase as reds further push for Steven Gerrard(Mirror)

There’s zero chance Gerrard will be Liverpool manager next year, he’s not ready.

A season in CL with us, possibly another season beyond that and he’d be ready to step up
Ready? And what made him “ready” to manage Rangers? You don’t think the step up from U18 coach to manager of Glasgow Rangers is a much bigger step than Rangers to Liverpool?

If Klopp left in the next 12 months Gerrard could easily decline knowing he'd be in a better place experience wise the next time it became available ........

On another note has Michael Beale ambitions of being a Number 1 and would he be keen to stay ??.......

When Gerrard leaves he'll take the full management team with him.

That is frightening unless there's a transition planned in, which I think there would be. Gerrard is the kind of guy that'll want to leave a legacy and the Director of Football's job is to maintain the standards set.

Tabloid drivel. If Liverpool are thinking of bagging Klopp after 1 poor season they deserve to go another 30 years without winning the league.

And that one poor EPL season in which they have lost their top three starting CBs.

No team would be able to survive in that League with losing two let alone three. With one of them being VVD (yes, fully aware of who he played for) it is easy to see why this year has to be considered a lost season for Liverpool and there would/should be an expectation they will be back to the form of their last few seasons.

Add to this now the two players who had been filling in at CB are injured then it really is a wasted EPL season.

When Gerrard leaves he'll take the full management team with him.

That is frightening unless there's a transition planned in, which I think there would be. Gerrard is the kind of guy that'll want to leave a legacy and the Director of Football's job is to maintain the standards set.
I don't know anything about the second paragraph but I agree that if he went to Liverpool then he would take the whole management team with him.

Obviously there's been a lot of chat about Beale being Manager if he left but I don't know if Beale would turn down the ability to work with the quality of player at Liverpool before he went into management in his own right.

The story isn't nonsense mate. Things aren't right at Liverpool at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me if they replaced Klopp in the summer.
Without all the injuries I’m sure they would be challenging for the top spot right now.

What specifically do you think isn’t right?

If Liverpool ask, he's gone. Let's not romanticise it.
He will only want to go there when the time is right if Klopp was to walk/sacked this summer IMO the time wouldn’t be right he’s only got to look at how it turned out for Lampard at Chelsea would the Liverpool owners give him a couple of years to try and turn it around ?in the EPL it doesn’t happen. Liverpool’s season has been ruined by crippling injuries to key players and the fact that owners haven’t allowed Klopp just to go out and spend big on replacements Klopp said in a recent interview that he has little say regarding recruitment that in itself should be a warning

Klopps going nowhere,he has suffered with horrendous injuries to key players and didn't buy in.
Once these players return fit and he does buy,they'll be back being the team/force they were.

As for gerrard going there,it's way to soon in his managerial career for liverpool.we are an ideal fit for him to learn his trade and build his stock.he would need a few more titles and a european run in the champions league on the level of 1992/93 to build experience and reputation a bit more,although his europa league results till now are pretty much faultless but champions league IS another level up.
I think,once gerrard gets this league out the way and plans for a tilt at it again,along with champions league,his hunger will be satisfied and he won't be in a rush to go anywhere....i'm sure walter smith,graeme souness and kenny dalglish will also be "advising" him on what god like potential he has here....maybe even bigger than liverpools?.

If he goes then it’ll be with my best wishes, he’s genuinely gave us a Rangers team to be proud of again and put those rat bastards firmly back in their box. I would really like Beale to take over but would also understand if he fancied going to Liverpool with Gerrard.

seeing more places report this now, still think klopp will stay 1 more season and gerrard will get CL football. But if he goes this season no ill will, he's a Rangers legend and can do whatever he wants at this point.

however if he does go, i would like to see defoe take over as manager.
That's an absolutely attrocious shout imo.

If Gerrard is leaving we should be building on what he's started with as big a name as we can afford. No sense in building the titanic just to risk letting a brand spanking new driver steer it into an iceberg.

If Gerrard is leaving we should be building on what he's started with as big a name as we can afford. No sense in building the titanic just to risk letting a brand spanking new driver steer it into an iceberg.
I’m with you mate an atrocious shout.

Gerrard is contracted until 2024. Hopefully we have a compensation package tied in to that so that we get several million in the event he leaves before then.

Personally, I don't think he would want to leave right now. That's not to say that he would knock back Liverpool but rather he would ideally prefer to see out this project. He's done the hard bit by getting us to this level, particularly with a shot at the Champions League in a few short months.
I agree I hope the club is putting an extension of his contract in place. If and when he goes the club would benefit from a large pay out.

2 trains of thought with this for me, one with the head, one with the heart.

The head says : He's Liverpool through and through, if they came calling, he would struggle to say no, just like Souness, who by all accounts was a Rangers fan growing up.

The Heart says : He loves it here, he's only been at 1 club for the majority of his career, so maybe he's came to Ibrox, and fell in love with the place, and fancies another couple of years here at least.

Whatever the outcome, the man is a Legend, and if he decided to go, it would be with every right-minded Rangers fans' best wishes.

I really don't understand this thought process. We are a huge club with huge demands and Gerrard has done fantastically well with us. Our European exploits will make more clubs than Liverpool sit up and take notice. The job Gerrard has done from where we were prior to his arrival to where we are now is remarkable and he has more than enough to take the Liverpool job although I'm hoping we keep him for a few more years yet.
Once anyone utters "no chance" it means they are clueless.

Fair amount of wishful thinking going on in here... I think it’s clear Klopp is grieving and could very well take a year out of football. Gerrard really might be off.

He will only want to go there when the time is right if Klopp was to walk/sacked this summer IMO the time wouldn’t be right he’s only got to look at how it turned out for Lampard at Chelsea would the Liverpool owners give him a couple of years to try and turn it around ?in the EPL it doesn’t happen. Liverpool’s season has been ruined by crippling injuries to key players and the fact that owners haven’t allowed Klopp just to go out and spend big on replacements Klopp said in a recent interview that he has little say regarding recruitment that in itself should be a warning

Liverpool are not Chelsea though.

They're not going to sack Klopp. But if Klopp walks then what ?

Liverpool are his team. They could be in the Championship and he'd walk over broken glass to manage them.

We can delude ourselves that the timing might not be right or he's too inexperienced...he might only get one shot at that job. And there is no way he's rejecting it.

I agree with this. I think he is committed to us and looking forward to a crack at the CL. If Liverpool come calling though he wouldn't turn them down, even if he thinks it's not the perfect time. I think he said as much in a podcast with Jamie Carragher last year.

Whenever he leaves us, it will be with my blessing. I just hope it's not for at least another year, I think we have a great chance of qualifying for the CL groups with him in charge. The finances from that alone could set us up nicely for the next few years. It would be a fantastic legacy to leave us with, if he really does have to go.
I think he's intelligent enough to go from a more informed decision and will have learnt from Souness that just jumping in whenever asked is not the best option, nor the most sustainable

Whilst the story is prob rubbish, one thing is certain. Liverpool wont hang about next season if they are not doing well. Add in if were flying hi in the table and have made it to the cl our boss will be there number 1 target.

2 trains of thought with this for me, one with the head, one with the heart.

The head says : He's Liverpool through and through, if they came calling, he would struggle to say no, just like Souness, who by all accounts was a Rangers fan growing up.

The Heart says : He loves it here, he's only been at 1 club for the majority of his career, so maybe he's came to Ibrox, and fell in love with the place, and fancies another couple of years here at least.

Whatever the outcome, the man is a Legend, and if he decided to go, it would be with every right-minded Rangers fans' best wishes.
Quite an interesting thought.

He was a one club man, total respect for that, and i don't doubt for minute he bleeds Liverpool. But he might be really enjoying being at another club in a completely different position.

He is a football man. Being submerged in a footballing culture alien to anything he has experienced before, having a free hand to mould a massive club in his own image and fight for success against huge odds might be the kind of unique challenge such a lover of the game relishes.

It could quite easily become one he starts to cherish!

Who do you have in mind (if any)?

I honestly don't have any mind but I wouldn't want Graeme Murty back in the role either just because I haven't put much thought into a Gerrard replacement.
Wasn't a "gotcha" or anything mate just a question out of interest

It's not something i've particularly thought about much either to be fair.

Only asked because when people wanted gerrard sacked the names being thrown around were mental, although I do realise it'll be easier to accept a bigger name now that they don't have to worry about being sacked if we didn't stop 10

There’s zero chance Gerrard will be Liverpool manager next year, he’s not ready.

A season in CL with us, possibly another season beyond that and he’d be ready to step up
That’s b0llocks mate and tbh an insult to rangers. He has no experience of the English league that’s all...neither do most foreign managers.

A bollocks story in a tabloid has produced over 300 replies. Wow. Klopp isn't going anywhere soon regardless of how Liverpool do this season. Calm down people.

For the media lurkers looking in How long till the tim's with pens come up with the headlines Gerrard to Liverpool and Klopp to Parkhead.

Liverpool are his team. They could be in the Championship and he'd walk over broken glass to manage them.

We can delude ourselves that the timing might not be right or he's too inexperienced...he might only get one shot at that job. And there is no way he's rejecting it.

I'm not sure I totally buy that.

In terms of ambition, there's nothing for Gerrard in management once he manages Liverpool. He doesn't leave there for something else.

Why would he jump into the job when he probably knows himself that he's not totally ready for it, risk being unsuccessful and blow the one chance he has at the only job he's ever wanted?

It's not like Ferguson at United, hanging on for decades: the job will always be open to him.

In fact, the more important the job is made out to be, the likelier it is that he'll wait until he is totally ready. Lampard took his dream job based on a year's solid management at Derby and was bombed out after a year and a half. Gerrard wouldn't want the same happening to him.

All of the rumour-mongering about Gerrard leaving for Liverpool are likely being made to pander to the great unwashed hordes, who quite rightly, attribute Rangers stunning revival to the presence of Steve Gerrard at Ibrox, and obviously would like to see him gone ASAP.

But let's not kid ourselves here - if Klopp suddenly resigned (which he won't), and Liverpool offered Gerrard the managers job at Anfield for next season, he'd immediately accept. Why wouldn't he? He's a born and bred Liverpudlian, supported Liverpool FC as a kid, played for Liverpool for the entirety of his football career, and given the chance to return as manager - to oversee one of Europes elite teams - would prove too hard to resist.

If he did leave for Liverpool at season's end, he'd do so with my understanding, thanks, and best wishes, for the unique contribution he made in restoring Rangers fortunes - for that he will and should always be, remembered by all supporters of the club with the greatest of respect and fondness.

I reckon we’ll get one more season max with Gerrard. Teams are looking at us now, team built with a fraction of a budget in European terms outplaying CL teams, the style of football getting played is superb plus the serious clout that Gerrards name has worldwide.
He will be in demand this summer never mind if he gets us into the CL groups next season. Make the most of it guys, hopefully Beale might stick around to be a manager in his own right, don’t underestimate his role in our rebuilding.

Expect more shite stories like this in the coming months.
Wish Rangers fans would stop being fucking gullible

For what’s it’s worth, I don’t think for a second Klopp will choose to leave Liverpool for another job nor do I think Liverpool will choose to get rid of him but I think any fan truly thinking he wouldn’t choose to walk away mid contract for personal reasons and thinking that the gaffer wouldn’t be at the top of a list of replacements has their head in the sand.

I don't think he would go to them yet. He is smart enough to know the job will come around again in 3-4 years. If he takes it now and fails thats career over. But a few more years success with us, more experience and his stock rising......then he'll be more prepared.

my take in this is this. Gerrard will go to Liverpool but I don’t think it will be until he sees out his Rangers contract. he won’t want to go to Liverpool too early in case it hurts his reputation with the club. He has spoke about loyalty and being a guy who sees out contracts and I get the feeling he has a lot of good will for Rangers now despite being a Liverpool legend, he will know other clubs may not have given his as much time to learn and make mistakes as Rangers have afforded him and I think that will speak volumes.

the pull of his family mind you will be huge.

one thing for sure is Rangers would be due a huge compensation package as I’d imagine when he goes he will want his own guys with him. It would be interesting though if Rangers say tried to Keep Beale and Culshaw. Rangers have done well in the past recruiting from within regarding management roles

regardless of what happens I feel as a club we are probably in a much better place now to replace management because we have a structure that we are happy with and will try to replace like for like rather than a whole new rip up and start again

Like Lampard it would be hard to see Gerrard turning Liverpool down whatever the timing, that said I think this is just easy journalism. A bit like writing about the SAS, no-one will confirm or deny anything.

My take is that it is not in Liverpool's DNA to ditch their Manager at the first bad season. Gerrard will leave at some point. I think he has set himself targets of achievements, the first was to transition from one season to next and improve. I think his next personal target will be to transition as Champions. I think it is most likely we will loose him to a club that year on year is in later stages of EL or a champions league group stage ever present. Then with that pedigree he will be ready for that step to be a successful Liverpool Manager.

That said if Liverpool came calling.....

Would generally be gutted if this happens. Looks like we will be supporting Germany at the euros lol

Is his family not still living in Cheshire--they would surely also put pressure on him
Yeah, it is a strange one especially given the length of his contract. Most guys I know who work contracts generally take their family with them if it is going to be more than 6 months to a year.

Only my opinion. He done a good job at Derby, think he would do a good job at us. He would also be affordable.
That my friend is a myth. He did an average job at Derby. He sneaked into the play offs and failed. They have imploded since, so he put no foundations in. I have always been a bigger fan of Frank’s than Stevie G’s (until now) but I want him nowhere near us as manager.

I think Gerrard going to Liverpool is a massive concern. He’s one of the top managers in Europe just now, and I can see Klopp walking soon.

He's a Liverpool legend. If he was to be offered the job once Klopp leaves and felt the timing wasn't right then I can't see him not getting another chance of the job in future.

Professional players and managers need to have confidence in their own ability, but taking over from Klopp would be like taking the stage after Frank Sinatra (as McCoist said about taking over from Walter Smith).

If Gerrard uses his head then he should stay at Rangers, but just depends on whether he let's the heart overrule the head. Hopefully Klopp stays and the question doesn't arise for a few years yet.

I think Gerrard going to Liverpool is a massive concern. He’s one of the top managers in Europe just now, and I can see Klopp walking soon.
Wind up surely ? Klopp isn't walking anywhere soon. Liverpool have had their worst injury crisis in their history and yet the team is still in with a decent shout for top four and odds on to make the next round of the CL.

Back