Liverpool v Chelsea and Thursday's other football

The art of playing on the shoulder of the defender will be dead within 2 years.

All because VAR gimps want people’s fingernails classed as offside.
The offside rule needs a simple tweek similar to Baseball's 'Tie goes to the runner'. In baseball when they cant tell if the guy reached base before the ball they simply give the runner benefit of the doubt. The reason is because it's more exciting to watch a team score runs than be called out. We need the same for these tight marginal offside calls in football. When it comes down to a matter inches and the players are essentially level, forget all the micro-measurements and allow advantage to the attacking side.

The angle that they use to determine VAR offsides is utterly ridiculous. Drawing straight vertical lines at the top of the screen will not give you the same pitch latitude as drawing straight vertical lines at the bottom of the screen from that angle. Werner was not offside.

Mason amount scores a nice goal for Chelsea.

But it does show up how weak the Liverpool defence is.

So much for Project Big Picture and the European Super league, Liverpool will be lucky to finish in a European spot the way have been playing.

Liverpool’s defence is absolutely atrocious. It’s like watching a defence full of Shane Duffys.

Pressure on Klopp again if chelsea win
I don't think so. Pressure in terms of media comments and his own frustration sure, but his job is just about the safest in football right now - behind our own SG of course ;)

This has been a very peculiar season for a number of reasons for LFC, but Klopp has more than enough credit in the bank to see it through til the end of the season and regroup in the summer for another title charge

I often wonder how the football league would look over the years if VAR had existed for the last 20 years say.

How many goals would have been chopped off or added on, would Man Utd have lost titles? Got more?

Players that played on shoulder would have countless goals chopped off.

I don’t study them particularly closely but anytime I’ve watched Liverpool I’ve felt that Thiago isn’t offering them much.
Last season their midfield seemed to be more mobile to my mind. Their myriad long-term injuries obviously don’t help, of course.

Can't blame just injuries for Liverpool's form this season. The drop off from the team who did so well past two years to now is frightening

I don’t study them particularly closely but anytime I’ve watched Liverpool I’ve felt that Thiago isn’t offering them much.
Last season their midfield seemed to be more mobile to my mind. Their myriad long-term injuries obviously don’t help, of course.

Agree with this. Thiago slows play down and wants too much time on ball

Liverpool are very concerning to be honest. If they continue to crash and burn and Klopp leaves or gets sacked then taking Gerrard from a low point is easier than if they’re flying high and Klopp were to leave. I think Klopp has enough credit in the bank, but you don’t know. Hopefully they win the CL!

This is slowly, but irreversibly going one way for Liverpool, and by association Klopp. It's much more than a loss of form. It has more in common with his last year at Dortmund than anything, although not as dramatic.

It's all very well saying he is safe and they won't sack him but where's the line? No CL? No Europe? Bottom half?

He's the 2nd longest serving manager in the league, and the 5th longest in England. 5 and a half years. A long spell in any sides history. In modern PL terms? An era. They look (the team and him) as if they could really use some freshness.

Posters on here say 'Gerrard stays 3 more years then takes over from Klopp'. That's not how football works.

Liverpool are very concerning to be honest. If they continue to crash and burn and Klopp leaves or gets sacked then taking Gerrard from a low point is easier than if they’re flying high and Klopp were to leave. I think Klopp has enough credit in the bank, but you don’t know. Hopefully they win the CL!
Hope they don’t if we manage to get better results than the Ukrainian teams.

The intensity and success of Liverpool in recent years was always going to catch up. They'll be back next season as long as Klopp is backed by his board.

Hope they don’t if we manage to get better results than the Ukrainian teams.
I take it you mean for CL qualifiers? I’m confident we’ll get through any qualifier. Rather Liverpool kept hold of their manager for a bit longer before they poach ours! Klopp has got credit, but only lasts so long.

I take it you mean for CL qualifiers? I’m confident we’ll get through any qualifier. Rather Liverpool kept hold of their manager for a bit longer before they poach ours! Klopp has got credit, but only lasts so long.
I’m sure if the winners of the CL also gain promotion through their league then 11th place gets into the group stage automatically.

He has been top top player but looks like a fish out of water in epl. Too slow and not got legs to push Liverpool on.

Chelsea are excellent but Ziyech is like a man short! Looked a great player at Ajax but looks slow and not interested at Chelsea or am I missing something?

Have Liverpool given a game yet to the guy they got from Preston who the tims thought was signing for them?

Spurs defender blasts ball off Jefferson Lamina from 5 yards. It hits his hand but he doesn't move arm, no unnatural shape, just stands there and gets hit...goal ruled out as 'any hand ball' is now a foul.

Is that right?! What is rule now....I even read that pros don't know with Kevin de Bruyne saying he hasn't really grasped the changes.
If it leads immediately to a goal then it is a foul apparently

That Kante handball decision is just absolutely abysmal. How the ref misses that I do not know never mind VAR not intervening! You really don't get many more clear cut handball situations than that. Baffling.

This is slowly, but irreversibly going one way for Liverpool, and by association Klopp. It's much more than a loss of form. It has more in common with his last year at Dortmund than anything, although not as dramatic.

It's all very well saying he is safe and they won't sack him but where's the line? No CL? No Europe? Bottom half?

He's the 2nd longest serving manager in the league, and the 5th longest in England. 5 and a half years. A long spell in any sides history. In modern PL terms? An era. They look (the team and him) as if they could really use some freshness.

Posters on here say 'Gerrard stays 3 more years then takes over from Klopp'. That's not how football works.

It's almost accepted that there is an inevitably about Gerrard taking over from Klopp, primarily in the media. 12 months ago the idea would have seemed outlandish given both clubs' positions.

However, I don't think Gerrard would leave Rangers for Liverpool at this time.
His barometer of success to onlookers is in Europe and having chance to take Rangers into CL group stages next season - a club who lost to Luxembourg part-timers year before he arrived - is a challenge I think he wants.

Ball hits Kante in the hand in the penalty box.
His arm is up and it blocks the pass towards a Liverpool player.
No penalty.
Why? It affected play?

Back