MOTM Poll Liverpool v Rangers - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We were bad tonight but Liverpool are being hailed as the team of the century on BT here after that performance

It was a training exercise for them tonight. Really surprised at how happy Henderson and Klopp were after that. A free kick and penalty taken to beat a team who couldn’t string three passes together and had zero composure or shape.

Voted McGregor but with a special mention for Goldson.

Worst game from Lundstrum. Summed up most of the team with poor passing and being so slow and ponderous. The amount of times we were pushed around was unforgivable.

In hindsight we could have had the extra man in midfield instead of at the back.

A manager with an ounce of sense would have packed the midfield tonight. Van Bronckhurst surrendered it. He made exactly the same mistakes with tactics and team selection tonight as he did against Ajax in the first game.

Despite the fact it was only 2-0 I found the whole thing embarrassing, we have regressed so much over the last few months and are well down the pecking order in European football. Press us and we cave in giving the ball away umpteen times and then to slow to do anything about it.
It is embarrassing Celtic pumped us this season and tonight could have been a double figures doing were it not for Alan Mcgregor.

No one was under the impression they aren't a much better team or expected a win, what you do expect is, a Rangers team being able to at least execute the fekking very basics of playing football. Liverpool weren't that great that made us unable to make 5 yard passes, pass and move round players, show desire, passion and commitment. What we are seeing is the the way the team is being moulded into playing a shite, timid, tiresome brand of football. We were the exact same against QOTS and Dundee utd and we are the same level above them as Liverpool are against us. A fast pacey team and we put our slowest 11 on the park. Shagger saved the blushes
Anybody coming out with the level of criticism we are seeing here because we lost 2-0, to two set piece goals, away at last season’s champions league runners up, with a team worth about 20 times ours really needs to manage their expectations better, for the good of their own health if nothing else.

Despite the fact it was only 2-0 I found the whole thing embarrassing, we have regressed so much over the last few months and are well down the pecking order in European football. Press us and we cave in giving the ball away umpteen times and then to slow to do anything about it.
Gutted to be pressing the like button.
But it's where we now are.

The lack of fight and physicality was hugely disappointing.
We won games in Europe last year by making physical contact, not standing off and admiring the way our opponents play.
Liverpool is absolutely a top team but our tactics made it easy for them to play with 4 attacking players.
When we saw how they were set up, we should have stuck Ryan Jack on in the middle of the field immediately and taking off Leon King.
We might then have able to slow up the supply to the front 4.
When Jack came on in the second half, he at least showed some composure which could not be sad for Steven Davis or John Lundstram.

A manager with an ounce of sense would have packed the midfield tonight. Van Bronckhurst surrendered it. He made exactly the same mistakes with tactics and team selection tonight as he did against Ajax in the first game.
He did and he made the same mistakes against Celtic as he did previously. Tillman does my nut in....i would put in more effort than him. Absolutely hopeless.

Do the interviewers usually give the manager a high five?
Only when it is the official Alexander Trent appreciation evening. The attempt to polish this lad's halo from start to finish was nauseating. I have never seen a program so dominated by one bit part player in a game ever.

Anybody coming out with the level of criticism we are seeing here because we lost 2-0, to two set piece goals, away at last season’s champions league runners up, with a team worth about 20 times ours really needs to manage their expectations better, for the good of their own health if nothing else.
I disagree mainly on the back of us being a europa league losing finalist.
I would expect our team to at least find a team mate occasionally.
We were poor.
I get its a big step up.
but effort and fitness seem to be missing in Comparison to the last few years.

They pressed the shit out of us tonight, it was disappointing the change didn’t happen to alter this ..

Absolute insanity to think we can go to Anfield and ‘have a go’. If we had played 4 at the back we would have got absolutely murdered. If we had opened up we would have got absolutely murdered.

Same with Napoli, it will be damage limitation over there.

There are no champions league fairytales on budgets like ours in groups like this. Just harsh regular reminders of where we stand in CL terms.

I just looked up worst CL group stage performances. I shouldn't have but couldn't help it. Dinamo zagreb 16/17 season.. 0 points, 0 goals scored, 15 against. Genuinely scared we're going to hold the new record.

I was dreading this game all day, fearing an utter humiliation. So to lose by 2 set plays is a bit easier to take.
It's hard to criticise shape as If we hadn't played the 5 4 1 we would have been spanked. That said we just seemed to freeze. Missing simple passes, players jogging instead of running.
Tillman. Wow, he just looks lost. Kent. He's not bothered either way and knows he will play next game.
There was just no bite in us, no snapping at heels etc.

Well done to Leon king. The boy handled things well and looked impressive enough.
Thanks be to baby Jesus for providing Allan McGregor.

So, my two cents…

Better team won there. Can’t argue with that, Diaz had a brilliant game too.

We offered nothing in front of goal. Thought 2-0 flattered us tbh, McGregor stopped that score line being embarrassing.

I thought King (despite the penalty) and Goldson had good games for us tonight.

Matondo and Sakala at least ran in the right direction when they came on which was refreshing after watching 80 minutes of us passing it around our own half.

In a nutshell, the score line flattered us. However, leaving Anfield after a 2-0 Champions League defeat is hardly embarrassing.

I’m trying to stay positive here and saying that we knew the CL would be a huge step up, but we’ll only improve by playing these world class teams.

I just looked up worst CL group stage performances. I shouldn't have but couldn't help it. Dinamo zagreb 16/17 season.. 0 points, 0 goals scored, 15 against. Genuinely scared we're going to hold the new record.
Suspect more goals against but we will score.

Absolute insanity to think we can go to Anfield and ‘have a go’. If we had played 4 at the back we would have got absolutely murdered. If we had opened up we would have got absolutely murdered.

Same with Napoli, it will be damage limitation over there.

There are no champions league fairytales on budgets like ours in groups like this. Just harsh regular reminders of where we stand in CL terms.
Stop talking sense, please.

I've no criticism of being horsed by a good team, what I have criticism of is, lacking the very basics, methods which we seem to have now adopted, the brand is now quite evident in every game we approach, even the commentator first half said, Rangers don't know where to go because they always play back. We had professional players all over the park unable to complete basic passes, always a yard in front or behind or panicked into hoofing it, can't hold up play, very slow and deliberate, that's nothing to do with Liverpool, it's player confidence which seems to have been coached out of them

Did people on this thread having ago ever watch us in the champions league when we were getting gubbed by the likes of Juve? We had Laudrup and Gascoigne in the team then, not sure what people are expecting when this is our 1st time in the tournament in 15 years. Reality check needed.
I remember that .Mind us playing Grasshoppers and AEK Athens however I think the players we are playing now aren’t as good . Ajax and Juve back then were world class .

Obvious MOTM but special mention for King who done his best getting thrown into that at his age. One of the few who can hold his head high.

So, my two cents…

Better team won there. Can’t argue with that, Diaz had a brilliant game too.

We offered nothing in front of goal. Thought 2-0 flattered us tbh, McGregor stopped that score line being embarrassing.

I thought King (despite the penalty) and Goldson had good games for us tonight.

Matondo and Sakala at least ran in the right direction when they came on which was refreshing after watching 80 minutes of us passing it around our own half.

In a nutshell, the score line flattered us. However, leaving Anfield after a 2-0 Champions League defeat is hardly embarrassing.

I’m trying to stay positive here and saying that we knew the CL would be a huge step up, but we’ll only improve by playing these world class teams.
Sensible - The reality is that this is how UEFA want it to be in the CL. Pot 4 teams are there to make up the numbers. Europe was great last year, but the reality is that the teams we beat to make it to that final, have reloaded with 10's of millions of deals. Without rehashing our business, we couldn't improve our team at that level.

Ajax, Napoli and Liverpool have huge budgets and developed talent. We've started from a standing start from a few years ago and overachieved last year.

We may have a couple of sore ones to go, but these are the teams we need to battle. A point next week and a win v Ajax (We beat PSV) and we're in Europa. :D

Well that was another doing. When your goalie is MOTM it says a lot about your performance. The most disappointing thing is we didn’t lay a glove on them until the game was dead and buried. Two good chances at the death to retrieve the match were missed, one as a result of brilliant defending and the other by Colak dithering on the ball (he hits that first time he scores imo) However, in reality it would have been sheer theft if had left Anfield with anything tonight. They were completely all over us for the first hour. They were by far the better team.

Scummy scousers showing their utter lack of class by booing the national anthem put the seal on a miserable night.

Can someone explain to us exactly what Tillman offers us in these big games?

Sick to death of watching him walk around the pitch with no effort and give the ball away and time and again cheaply. Struggling to think of one positive thing he did in any of those games.

He doesn’t play Napoli at home and we were a million times better.

Someone who can unlock the door against the dross in the SPFL when the games played at our pace, but is a rabbit in headlights when we’re on the back foot. It’s a shame Gio doesn’t see it considering our run to the Europa final was built on solid defensive displays and counter attacks.

Back